Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 15th April 2011, 11:32   #1756
Senior - BHPian

Re: Accidents in India - PICS

This is not exactly an accident, but it shows a potential accident scenario while overtaking.
Footage from my car's DVR, happened yesterday night.

Be careful while overtaking in narrow roads!
Mods, please remove or move to correct thread if this content is inappropriate in this thread.

Last edited by clevermax : 15th April 2011 at 11:34.
Old 15th April 2011, 13:03   #1757
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
This is not exactly an accident, but it shows a potential accident scenario while overtaking.

YouTube - 2011:04:14:21:06:15.wmv

Mods, please remove or move to correct thread if this content is inappropriate in this thread.
Happened to see the video on FB. That was a close call. Yes, specially on roads out here, we need to be careful.
Old 15th April 2011, 15:09   #1758
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

You will find such morons everywhere! As someone pointed out previously in the same thread, these are the ones who have already fixed a date with Yamraj. However careful you are, it may not help always.

@Clevermax, could you tell me whats a DVR ? and how & where have you fixed it in your car? The clarity is really good considering that the video is taken in the night.
Old 15th April 2011, 15:51   #1759
BHPian

Quote:

YouTube - 2011:04:14:21:06:15.wmv

What was wrong with that guy???? Did you him when you could overtake him (if you could, finally) ????
Mods: I think this post belongs in the "How do you spot a bad driver" thread.
Old 15th April 2011, 15:53   #1760

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

This is really sad! I often see such examples of total disregard for human life.
It's not just wrong legally but at a very basic and moral standpoint.
It's continuous disregard of this nature that makes driving on our roads a pain.
Add to this lane indiscipline, unnecessary honking, driving on the wrong side, signal jumping and lets not miss Drinking and Driving.
We have rules and laws against all of this. Why can't we enforce them?
Old 16th April 2011, 19:01   #1761
Senior - BHPian

In Chennai, two-wheeler riders are a big menace! I would elevate them even above auto rickshaws when it comes to rash/nonchalant riding. I read somewhere that Chennai has the highest number of 2 wheelers in all of India.

The second lot of bad drivers are cab drivers, especially the ones that drive for BPOs. Indica drivers are the worst within the city and Innova cab drivers are the worst on the highway! In fact, I'm amazed the speeds Innova can reach on the highway, thanks to these careless cab drivers.
Old 16th April 2011, 19:49   #1762
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Mate, this is nothing compared to what I experienced on 14th, while returning home from Palakkad, along NH-47. I was doing pretty decent speeds, and was in the right lane, to overtake a relatively slow-moving Innova. I saw another Innova tailing me, probably waiting for me to complete my overtake, and then overtake me. I overtook the innova in front, in the left lane, switched on the left indicators, and after i made sure i'm a safe distance in front of the vehicle that i just overtook, I was going to sway left, but just in the nick of time, i noticed that moron zooming past me from the left. And at the very same moment, the one who was tailing me overtook me from the right - he missed my RHS ORVM by a whisker. No, they were not taxis. Both of them had white reg plates. Just because they have a bigger vehicle doesn't mean they can bully smaller cars! How gross. I would've been a sandwich between them both, if I didn't take that extra glance in the LHS mirror!
Old 18th April 2011, 08:15   #1763
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkin evoisrevo View Post
What was wrong with that guy???? Did you him when you could overtake him (if you could, finally) ????
Mods: I think this post belongs in the "How do you spot a bad driver" thread.
These people should be whipped publically as a road menace.

I had a small brush with a truck on Sat, on the Mumbai Pune Highway near Vashi, every tme I would try to overtake he would cut right blocking the way. Finally I managed to find an open stretch on the left the moment I was abreast he suddenly turned left forcing me to brake. I finally managed to overtake him and force him to stop and gave him a couple of choicest earfulls and he with folded hands "Sir galti Ho gaya, cleaner nahin hai to dikha nahin".
Old 18th April 2011, 11:23   #1764
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
Mate, this is nothing compared to what I experienced on 14th, while returning home from Palakkad, along NH-47. I was doing pretty decent speeds, and was in the right lane, to overtake a relatively slow-moving Innova. I saw another Innova tailing me, probably waiting for me to complete my overtake, and then overtake me. I overtook the innova in front, in the left lane, switched on the left indicators, and after i made sure i'm a safe distance in front of the vehicle that i just overtook, I was going to sway left, but just in the nick of time, i noticed that moron zooming past me from the left. And at the very same moment, the one who was tailing me overtook me from the right - he missed my RHS ORVM by a whisker.
Now that is much worse than what I experienced y'day.
We were in the right lane, about to bypass a HMV in the left lane on NH44, beyond Anantapur yesterday, and then shift to the left lane. There was this idiotic Swift guy with a Kannada number plate behindus, dipping at us to "overtake" us, even though we were withing 10m of the HMV. Just after passing by the HMV, we were turned on the left indicator and started drifting into the left lane, but the fool just swerved into the left lane and passed us, though we were letting him overtake. I dipped at him after that more than a dozen times.

Anyone who has Kannada no. plates.....oops no. plates in any regional language, and doesn't wear his/her seatbelts, is 100% guaranteed to be an unsafe driver.
Old 18th April 2011, 15:37   #1765
BHPian

Bad Drivers, did I spot them?

Driving on the other side of the road, to avoid traffic.
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-bad-drivers-1.jpg

Parked the scooter right in the middle of the road & vanished.
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-bad-drivers.jpg

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-bad-drivers-2.jpg
Owner resurfaced after good 30 minutes with an amazing excuse saying "Chote Bhai ki ladayi hui to gaya tha" (younger brother had a tiff with someone, so went there)
Old 18th April 2011, 18:59   #1766
BHPian

Old 18th April 2011, 19:35   #1767
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
I was doing pretty decent speeds, and was in the right lane, to overtake a relatively slow-moving Innova. I saw another Innova tailing me, probably waiting for me to complete my overtake, and then overtake me. I overtook the innova in front, in the left lane, switched on the left indicators, and after i made sure i'm a safe distance in front of the vehicle that i just overtook, I was going to sway left, but just in the nick of time, i noticed that moron zooming past me from the left. And at the very same moment, the one who was tailing me overtook me from the right - he missed my RHS ORVM by a whisker.
No offence but what you're describing sounds like an overtaking manouevre poorly executed. One of the useful things they taught at driving school (not that there were too many) was that one should overtake only when 100% confident of ability to complete the move. Which means judging the distance between yourself and the vehicle in front and anticipating everything else including clearance between yourself and the oncoming traffic, taking care not to "crowd" the overtakee, predicting from observed behaviour whether the overtakee will give way or not, etc. Sometimes I see a vehicle: less powerful than me, in the wrong gear and obviously putting himself in the way of oncoming traffic, try to overtake me and I warn the guy with a loud honk and pull away before he does me and himsefl any damage. Possible that's what happened here.

There are vehicles who habitually drive on the right and only squeeze in when faced with oncoming traffic- those are most annoying. It's posible the guy behind you felt the same way. He should not have cut you off the way you did, exposing you to oncoming traffic but then, you are responsible for your own safety!
Old 19th April 2011, 01:39   #1768
BHPian

Quote:

I have to ask - how come your driving with your high beam on, whilst following another vehicle? What speeds were you doing? The video seems like you were going quite quick for the width of the road. Videos can be deceptive though.
Old 19th April 2011, 08:31   #1769
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveloholic View Post
Parked the scooter right in the middle of the road & vanished.

Owner resurfaced after good 30 minutes with an amazing excuse saying "Chote Bhai ki ladayi hui to gaya tha" (younger brother had a tiff with someone, so went there)
One of Stupidest things I have seen in the recent past. Felt like breaking my laptop screen when I saw this pic.
Old 19th April 2011, 09:25   #1770
Senior - BHPian

Have you noticed those drivers who are quite a distance on the straight road, notice that you are indicating a turn which will cut his road taking you onto another. What this driver does is although he is a fair bit away and should ease of the gas to let you execute your turn. He instead speeds up flashing his lights so that you will be forced to wait for your turn. Even though this means that you might have to hold honking traffic behind you. Geez

Most Viewed