Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th April 2011, 10:55   #1771
Senior - BHPian

Re: Accidents in India - PICS

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
No offence but what you're describing sounds like an overtaking manouevre poorly executed. One of the useful things they taught at driving school (not that there were too many) was that one should overtake only when 100% confident of ability to complete the move...

Not a poorly executed overtaking maneuver. I must've added that it was a 4-laned highway (2 lanes going north, 2 lanes going south). I was going north, so were the other two Innovas in the incident. Nobody was facing the south-going traffic at any point.

I won't count the Innova guy who was tailing me at a safe distance, a bad driver, because he noticed me trying to overtake the other Innova in the left lane, and was waiting for me to complete my maneuver.

The other one, whom I had almost overtaken, is definitely a jerk. I'm sure he has noticed me flashing my beams, and also my left indicator blinking once i got ahead of him, on the right lane. That guy increased his speed and very dangerously prevented me from moving back into the left lane.

My mistake? Well, maybe that I was driving a Maruti 800 and not a truck, for these kind of jerks to "see" and "respect"

Quote:
... you are responsible for your own safety!
True, to the core.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
Have you noticed those drivers who are quite a distance on the straight road, notice that you are indicating a turn which will cut his road taking you onto another. What this driver does is although he is a fair bit away and should ease of the gas to let you execute your turn. He instead speeds up flashing his lights so that you will be forced to wait for your turn. Even though this means that you might have to hold honking traffic behind you. Geez
Ego, and nothing else.

Last edited by silversteed : 19th April 2011 at 10:58.
Old 19th April 2011, 12:15   #1772
BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Hi
This section deserves to be the most best thread collection on t-bhp since there is no dearth of not so good and utterly beyond hope drivers in our roads.
Yesterday a moron on a two wheeler zoomed between me and a bus with just a mm of gap on his either side (the bus would have escaped !) but yours truly would have been left fuming and fretting and when I got the chance to speak to him I told him what i felt of his excellent judgement in very good profanity splattered with generous adjectives.

In these circumstances the VW Pasaat car (with the ad for the near Zero cabin noise) is a good car to own.
Old 19th April 2011, 16:18   #1773
BHPian

I live in Worli in Bombay, and my office is in Andheri. I take the sea-link and then continue on the Western Express Highway past the Andheri flyover. For all of you familiar with this stretch of road, you'll know that the preceding 200m before he start of the Andheri flyover (if you're coming from the Scruz airport end) has no dividers... just some yellow cones demarking traffic.

Im driving to work doing about 60kph, in the right most lane, and a rick coming from the opposite side pulls an illegal uturn from the opposite side of the road straight into my lane less than 50 metres in front of me. I had to stomp on the brakes to avoid hitting him. If I'd hit him broadside he'd have definitely flipped onto his side, maybe more than once. This moron was carrying a passenger who'd probably have been thrown from the back of the rick.

For a moment I considered getting out of the car and beating this retard to within an inch of his life.....but sanity prevailed.
Old 20th April 2011, 21:43   #1774
BHPian

Re: Accidents in India - PICS

Quote:
No offence but what you're describing sounds like an overtaking manouevre poorly executed....There are vehicles who habitually drive on the right and only squeeze in when faced with oncoming traffic- those are most annoying. It's posible the guy behind you felt the same way. He should not have cut you off the way you did, exposing you to oncoming traffic but then, you are responsible for your own safety!
I seriously can't believe you're justifying the Innova guy here. If this Innova driver was concerned about safety, then he should have slowed down and let the guy move back into the correct lane. The vehicle being less or more powerful really has nothing to do with it. The Innova was going slower than SilverSteed was, why else would he try and overtake? And apparently, this guy's ego couldn't handle an M800 overtaking him.
Old 20th April 2011, 23:19   #1775
BHPian

I have been driving on the roads of Bangalore for sometime and I mostly see bad drivers all around! One has to drive on the ring road starting from Nayandahalli, Mysore road to Tumkur road to see what I mean. There are two crossings near to Laggere were people, including traffic cops come on the wrong side to get on the service road. During the evening time one gets really confused as to who is on the correct side.

I feel, we in general, have very low compliance capabilities and have a "chalta hai" attitude as there is no reprimand. Right from helmet less kids who zoom on the roads with utter disregard for others on the road to mature adults who have respectable jobs/business skipping lanes, jumping signals and cutting corners to save that precious one minute every one is a bad driver. Here we are trying to prove who is the baddest of all
Old 21st April 2011, 03:10   #1776
BHPian

The problem is not that we have too many bad drivers..
We have too many bad drivers who do not want to believe that they are bad drivers, even when someone points it out to them..

Out here in the UK, the stereotypical convention of bad drivers include:

Van Drivers
BMW Drivers
Audi Drivers
and of course.. Ladies

Exceptions do exist, nevertheless..

Gandhar.
Old 21st April 2011, 08:53   #1777
Senior - BHPian

Encountered a Skoda in Goregaon yesterday with a TBHP sticker and the owner being ferried by the driver. He seemed so confused as to whether to turn left or right finally he turned left and parked, half the car jutting on the road even though there was enough space on the side for a bus to be parked parallely.
Old 21st April 2011, 10:14   #1778
BHPian

Spotted a Black Santro trying to emulate SRK's antics on the road at 9.45 pm on the Agara lake road. Initially I let him go. Then I noticed that there was a kid in the passenger/rear seat (could only see the silhoutte).
Overtook him and asked him to slow down.. However, our Knightrider was not interesed in listening.He angrily dipped his beams at me. So much for the kid!
Few moments later, another Black Santro and another SRK!
This gentleman was driving with his blinding high beams on. Requested him to lower it. However, he's not the person to back out. Finally spoke up.
Me : If you keep you high beams on, I cant see a thing!
He : There's no street light on the road, so I have to go on the High Beam!
Me : If you dont know how to drive, stay off the road!
He : ***^&$&&*
Me : Bloody sore loser..

and i move off!

Tell me folks, most of these high beam offenders seems to be santros or there are too many ignorant folks driving these cars! How to just get them learn???
Old 21st April 2011, 10:26   #1779
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqualeo2040 View Post
Tell me folks, most of these high beam offenders seems to be santros or there are too many ignorant folks driving these cars! How to just get them learn???
Santros do have a very strong (and probably poorly designed, but I have no professional credentials to back that) high beams that really blind the oncoming traffic.

Although it is true that you need high beams when there is no proper street lights, it is still inexcusable to use them constantly. On poorly lit roads, I occasionally flick the high beam switch just to make sure there is no drunk pedestrian/cyclist/dog/cow/pothole up ahead.
Old 21st April 2011, 10:48   #1780
BHPian

^^ Add OMNI's and TATA ACE's to the list. They all have poorly designed HLs. And 95% of the drivers of these vehicles don't understand the effects of high beam.

Talking about Santro, even the tail lamps are toooo bright. Ever happened to stop behind a Santro in a signal?
Old 21st April 2011, 13:30   #1781
Distinguished - BHPian

Here's what i saw the other day. Man in a Santro in a busy junction driving slowly with no seatbelt, talking over the phone with a cig in the other hand. How did he manage to drive with no hands.
Old 21st April 2011, 13:37   #1782
Senior - BHPian

I do not know if it should be attributed to probability due to higher numbers, but I generally find swift drivers a tad bit too rash for the roads. In all my years of driving I hardly remeber seeing a swift trying to stay behind a line of vehicles, they feel that they overtake from left and squeeze in the gaps!
Old 21st April 2011, 14:02   #1783
Senior - BHPian

I too do what @amitoj mentioned.
When there are no street lights. I reduce to a more comfortable cruising speed.
Then flick the high beam on for a couple of sec if necessary.
It really does help. As sometimes you cant see pedestrians walking on the road, kids playing or a cyclist, dogs etc.
So it really helps when you flick the high bram for a second or two just to make sure there are no nasty surprises up ahead.
Drive safe!
Old 21st April 2011, 14:31   #1784
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilisanil View Post
I do not know if it should be attributed to probability due to higher numbers, but I generally find swift drivers a tad bit too rash for the roads. In all my years of driving I hardly remeber seeing a swift trying to stay behind a line of vehicles, they feel that they overtake from left and squeeze in the gaps!
I also think i kind of agree with you here.

Also one more point at the expense of being bashed up in the forum. I have observed that Delhi registered vehicles to be a bit too rash. Again this i am referring to based on my observations and in no way indicates that rest all are very good drivers.

Now i am ready for the bashing.
Old 21st April 2011, 15:06   #1785
BHPian

^^^ kind of agree and kind of don't. DL vehicles seen in and around HJW do appear to be driven more rashly than others. But then you notice something which is out of place, which could be DL plates in this situation while MH plates are un-noticed.

However during my recent couple of trips to Delhi, I found most cars having dings and dents or some body damage. Significantly more than Mumbai or Pune while the traffic sense all around is almost the same.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks