Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 24th April 2011, 17:56   #1831
Team-BHP Support

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch.nathan View Post
^^^ See, the Swift has its Left RVMs open - still he hit you.
Bad drivers are always Bad Drivers - whatever safety aids you give them - sigh!!!
Exactly!

You've hit the nail on the head there. Despite having his ORVMs open, he did not notice my car on his left side, whilst he was turning into the correct lane.

BUT

I'd like to say that when I see cars with ORVMs open, it gives me hope that he probably does use it, even if he doesn't. But when I see a car's ORVMs closed, I have no hope in that driver. I try and stay away from him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkin evoisrevo View Post
Is he the bad driver in question here?
Yup. That's him alright.

Quote:
My advice: Go to the cops and register a complaint. Apparently you have photographic evidence, and the ID of the protagonist of the crime.
Your case is sealed.
There is no point. The cops will brush it off as a stupid incident. "C'mon, it's a scratch" is what they'd say. They'd even urge us to settle it between ourselves. Think about it, this is just another incident among many that happen in this city.

What I can do is pursue the problem by running behind this nitwit so that he sorts out the insurance work and I get my car repaired. Time for more headaches, then.
Old 24th April 2011, 18:06   #1832
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
There is no point. The cops will brush it off as a stupid incident. "C'mon, it's a scratch" is what they'd say. They'd even urge us to settle it between ourselves. Think about it, this is just another incident among many that happen in this city.
Look. It's your RIGHT to register a complaint, and they can't deny your right.
Besides, apparently you have photographic evidence, that can help you prove your case in court.

Yes, it may be just another incident among many in this city, but think about it, isn't a theft also one among many incidents that happen in the city?

Well, the ball is in your park, so it's your choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
True.

And I do know that it is my RIGHT to register a complaint. But it isn't my right (or anyone's) to file an FIR. .
Oops. I meant complaint. My bad.

Last edited by Arkin evoisrevo : 24th April 2011 at 18:14.
Old 24th April 2011, 18:10   #1833
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Look. It's your RIGHT to register an FIR, and they can't deny your right.
Besides, apparently you have photographic evidence, that can help you prove your case in court.

Yes, it may be just another incident among many in this city, but think about it, isn't a murder also one among many incidents that happen in the city?

Well, the ball is in your park, so it's your choice.
True.

And I do know that it is my RIGHT to register a complaint. But it isn't my right (or anyone's) to file an FIR. That's the cops' job. Sorry for being pedantic! Anyway, we'll get in touch with the guy and get the car repaired with his insurers.
Old 24th April 2011, 21:22   #1834
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsOwn View Post
If you are serious about your question, instinct kicks in a good 2 seconds (maybe a millionth here and there) BEFORE ANYTHING happens (no skidding, no situation, no nothing.), and I know I HAVE to take corrective measures otherwise am in for it. (When I started riding I used to ignore the feeling, but as time went on and the broken bones piled on, I learnt to listen to it and follow it and havent crashed a bike in years, and a car - never. Hence I am perhaps defensive of those instincts whereas a lot of time technology has failed me.
I know that feeling. Got confused in the midst of all the love.

Been able to walk away from a couple of crashes (no bones broken so far) because of figuring out the right way to fall.

Of course after my last crash, I got a bit of armor on as daily wear.

The road speaks.
The engine roars.
The tires scream.
The pavement cheers.
and when we hear them all at once. BLISS.

and of course peace. But not the forever kind.

End of OT stuff from me as well.
Old 25th April 2011, 01:46   #1835
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Man I have never seen anyone trying so desperately to defend their driving habits!

Anyway, you be happy with your bald smoking tires! More to keep the car and bike shining, right! But you can not defeat the generalizations by claiming to be an exception.

Am out.
Sure thang honey, muchos gracias!

By the way, nice to see someone with as many posts under your belt cannot read my simple posts clearly enough where I state that the tyres are changed once bald, I never said they are bald "always" or "right now". Also, sorry, but I never claimed to be an exception. Am out too.

Ironh4wk : Those pics are from a few years back when we drove to Pondicherry for breakfast. +1 to the instincts bit, I was beginning to think that the word didnt exist in this dictionary. Nice to know someone somewhere relates somehow!

Suhaas : Did you get an estimate on it yet? Do you know any good aftermarket guys who can do the job for you? (In the event that the buffoon backs off and you dont want to foot the heavy bill at Honda).
Old 25th April 2011, 09:39   #1836
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
I know that feeling. Got confused in the midst of all the love.

Been able to walk away from a couple of crashes (no bones broken so far) because of figuring out the right way to fall.

Of course after my last crash, I got a bit of armor on as daily wear.

The road speaks.
The engine roars.
The tires scream.
The pavement cheers.
and when we hear them all at once. BLISS.

and of course peace. But not the forever kind.

End of OT stuff from me as well.
Oh Yes. Instincts work and they are very much there. Its strong for some and not so much for others.
Instincts also tell you whether that person standing on the median looking at your fast moving car will stay put or make a dash for it.
I dont think that its OT at all.
Problem pops up when we give more preference to uncle logic over grandad instinct.
There are one too many occassions when Instinct saved me and my ride from something really bad.

Let me repeat the same story I had posted a few pages back.

There was a Santro who overtook me from the wrong side when we were waiting for another car to complete the U Turn in front. The smart driver even cut across the turning vehicle who was assured by us that he can make the turn. Feels bad when the laws of the brotherhood of drivers are so badly abused. Anyways, I found the driver at the next signal. I was in the right most lane which was moving fast. Saw our old pal Mr.Black Santro in the middle lane. Something told me to slow down. And there it was, our MS impressario turns into the fast lane and tries to take off. Thankfully I have learnt to trust my instincts. Otherwise, one of us would have run into the other.

But then again. It doesnt work for all I guess. It worked for me. It works for Devil and BBL and the rest of the creed.

I have had crashes. Once when the guy saw me turning and yet came and hit my rear wheels (Yamaha). His explanation : "I Honked".
I couldnt understand how his honking would have caused me to negotiate a turn faster or would have helped in widening of the road!

Yesterday.. Busy service lane at Marathalli. Smart Alec cant keep his hand off the thing called the horn. He's upset because I am driving slow. Duh! I guess with all his 4 eyes, he failed to notice the traffic in front of me. Once I hit the ORR, that same honker was nowhere to be seen. If he was in a hurry, and in a faster car(Ritz), he should have reached the hospital faster.

Just for the kicks, take a quick test of your co-workers on the traffic rules and how many do they follow. The results wont surprise us. Its not the lack of knowledge and education, its the complete apathy towards anything that governs/directs AKA LAW. These same people drive like a church mouse when they go abroad(which they have been multiple times). These same folks dont find a small gap to slow down to let the ambulance go by.
Dang! No need to spoil everyone's monday morning. I am outta here
Old 25th April 2011, 10:10   #1837
BHPian

Yesterday on my way to total mall near madivala, i was on the st. john road approaching krupanidhi college, from the opposite side a cop stopped a AP registered swift guess he must have jumped the signal! The car slowed down and then the cop approached him the nitwit driving the car hit the gas and zoomed off almost running over the cop! The inspector who was near his bike set a message thru his wireless probably to the next signal or turn.

This reminded me of those police car chases in AXN where even if people jump signals the cops manage to hunt them down. Can we not have these sort of systems in our country? I piety the cops as it is such a thankless job however the blatant arrogance towards law&order and discipline by the car driver had me fuming .
Old 25th April 2011, 10:15   #1838
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumathindra View Post
Yesterday on my way to total mall near madivala, i was on the st. john road approaching krupanidhi college, from the opposite side a cop stopped a AP registered swift guess he must have jumped the signal! The car slowed down and then the cop approached him the nitwit driving the car hit the gas and zoomed off almost running over the cop! The inspector who was near his bike set a message thru his wireless probably to the next signal or turn.

This reminded me of those police car chases in AXN where even if people jump signals the cops manage to hunt them down. Can we not have these sort of systems in our country? I piety the cops as it is such a thankless job however the blatant arrogance towards law&order and discipline by the car driver had me fuming .
hey, i'm all in for the chase and bring to the book part. in fact i'm willing to provide my services as a chase driver
Old 25th April 2011, 10:22   #1839
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsOwn View Post
Suhaas : Did you get an estimate on it yet? Do you know any good aftermarket guys who can do the job for you? (In the event that the buffoon backs off and you dont want to foot the heavy bill at Honda).
Well, my father will be out of town for a few days. I will be following this up. I'm sure this twit will make himself scarce so I will be having my hands full this week. Thank you for the suggestion, will find out if we can minimize the damage, if nothing else works for us.
Old 25th April 2011, 11:27   #1840
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
hey, i'm all in for the chase and bring to the book part. in fact i'm willing to provide my services as a chase driver
Same here i am more than willing to do that however it is not at all funny to see such incidents. I think we just need stricter laws in place to deter such behavior!
Old 25th April 2011, 12:35   #1841
BHPian

Quote:
What were the two digits preceding the Swift's no.? Like was it AP 02, 26, 29 03 or what? And what color? If it's AP-02 might be able to shoot it down when I'm in my town. ;-)

Anyway, this is not the 1st incident I've come across. I've seen a Laura almost knocking down a young constable right in front of my eyes when he stopped him, and even had the audacity to slow down, repeat the same, the passenger showing the young cop his middle finger, and speeding away. .
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
Don't worry, the cops will track such offenders down anyway. Better not take the risk of such chases.
Old 25th April 2011, 13:56   #1842
BHPian

Quote:
I have seen one such chase very much in Namma Bengaluru!!

IIRC, it was an Alto, who tried to run away (Near Adugodi signal). The Cop jumped onto a two-wheeler which was following, and caught-up in the next signal. I was watching all this from a cab. Donno what happened further, but.
Old 25th April 2011, 14:23   #1843
BHPian

I want to share some of my experience with bad drivers:-
Scene 1: East Coast Road, returning from Puducherry (Pondicherry) with my wife, night around 9 o clock, cruising at good speed. One Tavera cabie overtook me in a hurry. I had given way. Then he was right in front of me, slowing down. I also slowed down. He further slowed down for no apparent reason, the road ahead is well clear. When we were at 30 kph, he switched on the right indicator, signaling me to overtake him (this is a non-standard signal, but is followed by many). I decided to over take and did so. Increased speed as per the traffic and road condition. This guy did not leave me and started tailing at close with high beam, honking etc. Again I gave him way, he went ahead of my car and slowed down blocking the way. Then again he gave me way to overtake him. After two three such times, I decide not to overtake when he signaled but kept following him. He started increasing the speed and I was following him. While on a bridge, he was signaling me to go ahead and over take. It is not my habit to overtake on bends and bridges and so I keep following him at a safe didtance. Suddenly his tail brake lights come on and on instinct, I slam on the brakes and stop. There was a loud noise and two drums were rolling down the road further hitting an oncoming car. What happened was that, the Tavera guy was so engrossed in intimidating me that he was not looking ahead. Too late when he saw a turn and road barrier at the end of the bridge. He rammed into the drums and stopped. It was a cab and the driver was about 23 or 24 years. There was a family in the car and the ladies were yelling. I wonder todate what was his intention. I also wonder why the occupants did not correct his behaviour and advised him to drive carefully.

Scene 2: reserved for next posting
Old 25th April 2011, 15:00   #1844
BHPian

Suhaas: NP... I asked because if he scoots, and the bill at Honda is too big to foot, dont fret, I know some people who make a living restoring scratched/dented machines. You wont have to spend a bomb (a few months ago a friends car was hit by a mercedes, no less, with the owner not having insurance and it being squarely his fault, we got his bumper done and he went away happy, something which would have cost 20k at the Merc station, ended up costing us 4.)

You needn't worry about the quality of the workmanship, I'll vouch for that. Holler out if neither of the planned moves works out and we'll see what can be done.
DevilsOwn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2011, 15:18   #1845
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alavandar View Post
I want to share some of my experience with bad drivers...
overtook me in a hurry. I had given way. Then he was right in front of me, slowing down. I also slowed down. He further slowed down for no apparent reason, the road ahead is well clear. When we were at 30 kph, he switched on the right indicator, signaling me to overtake him... This guy did not leave me and started tailing at close with high beam, honking etc. Again I gave him way, he went ahead of my car and slowed down blocking the way. Then again he gave me way to overtake him. After two three such times, I decide not to overtake when he signaled but kept following him...

Sounds very similar to what I'd experienced on NH-217 on the way from Palakkad to Kozhikkode, some 3 years back. There was an Indica in front of us, with 4-5 guys inside, and playing loud music. It was in the afternoon. We were doing 60-70kmph with 4 people inside our M800, and these guys were at maybe 50kmph. I honked, they gave me way promptly. After a few seconds, i notice the same car is tailing me with just a few feet gap between the bumpers. Not to mention that my parents who were sitting in the rear seat got really scared. I moved left and gave him way. Now he overtakes me and blocks my way like the cabbie in your story did. After 2-3 such overtake and block acts, I decided not to overtake him, as he's now doing 60kmph+. But that reckless idiot had to go off the road very soon because of a mistimed overtaking. He had to cut across to the right side of the road to avoid a collision with an oncoming gas tanker, as he was trying to overtake a truck on a blind left turn. I glanced at them just to make sure that the car hadn't hit anyone/anything, and then hit the gas. I'm sure that those guys would've take quite some time to recover from that shock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alavandar View Post
wonder why the occupants did not correct his behaviour and advised him to drive carefully.
They must've been a shock seeing the driver's antics

Last edited by silversteed : 25th April 2011 at 15:19.

Most Viewed