Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th May 2011, 11:56   #1876
BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Today on my way to work there was this guy driving a honda city UP registration coming straight at me in my lane. His side of the lane was completely empty! I was not sure whether to stop in my tracks, move more towards the left (if i had done that i would have landed in the ditch dug by the water board.

I made it a point to yell/shout at him asking him what his intention was. He had a smoke in his hand, he had ear plugs probably was on a call or listening to music and was least bothered

If i had time trust me i would have stopped him and given him a piece of my mind. Not a good way to begin a day and hence let him pass by.
Old 9th May 2011, 12:12   #1877
BHPian

The most irritating thing about drivers (mostly, but not all of them being yellow board drivers) in Bangalore are the ones who, at an intersection, stop on the left lane. Then once the signal goes green, they cut blatantly across the lanes and take a right turn. Choking traffic behind them across any number of lanes that road happens to have. Very irritating and forcing me, many times to use my horn (which I desist from using - too much noise pollution already, no need for me to add)
Second one (or perhaps first) is the tendancy, nay, habit of Bangalore drivers to not wait. Most, if not all of our traffic jams could have been avoided if one driver just waited for a few seconds or even upto a minute to let someone else go past him/her, the entire jam could very well be avoided.
Old 9th May 2011, 12:24   #1878
Team-BHP Support

A few weeks back, I was with my mother and driving towards Domlur/Old-Airport Road. We were a few 100 meters from ESI Hospital, Indiranagar and I was driving rather slowly through all the commotion that the Indiranagar-Double-Road is famous for.

At one of the junctions, I had to literally stand on the brakes because an idiot in a Wagon-R decided to cut me off while taking a turn into the main road. So much for 'right-of-way'. But that's not what ticked me off. I'm quite used to people cutting me off anyway.

What really ticked me off is that the guy, mid-turn, stopped his car for a couple of seconds right in the middle of the road. I peered through his car's quarter-glass and noticed that he was giving me a cold stare. I just let him go by. Perhaps his morning bowel-movements didn't work in his favour.

And then, we approached the signal and I found myself right next to him. And this is what I saw him doing!

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-26042011260.jpg

At that moment, I felt like stepping out of my car and sucker-punching his face. But better sense prevailed. I kept my cool and distracted myself with some good music. The best thing to do in such situations, I'd say.

-----------------------------------------

And then, this is what I came across on the very same day!

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-26042011261.jpg

Who says women are the only ones that can multi task!

I was absolutely flabbergasted when I saw this dimwit on his Luna braving the maddening traffic on Richmond Road, with some help from the little kid who seemed to be doing all the steering for him, while he received instructions on the phone for a good 10 minutes!
Old 9th May 2011, 12:43   #1879
BHPian

Spotted this true example of a Bad Driver. Driving on the wrong side of the road and overtaking a parked lorry from the wrong side with a phone in one hand (might not be clear in the picture)

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-bad-driver.jpg
Old 9th May 2011, 12:47   #1880
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveloholic View Post
Spotted this true example of a Bad Driver. Driving on the wrong side of the road and overtaking a parked lorry from the wrong side with a phone in one hand (might not be clear in the picture)

Attachment 542015
This guy even qualifies for the W&W thread
Old 9th May 2011, 14:10   #1881
Senior - BHPian

found this nincompoop opposite Benson town post office! notice that he has put the indicator to let people know he's gonna jump the divider!

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-_mg_8801.jpg

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-_mg_8802.jpg

this one on Indian Oil flyover (Banaswadi main road)
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-_mg_8800.jpg

as you can see, its not the lack of space that has motivated this guy to ride on the wrong side (just after BEL circle)
Name:  _MG_8806.JPG
Views: 1288
Size:  107.8 KB

already the lane is narrow, to make it worse one aunty has gone and parked her car at the very entrance and gone shopping at Reliance! (Vidyaranyapura)
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-_mg_8811.jpg

Nandidurg road is not a very wide road; two vehicles can pass each other comfortably. on our way back home, just before reaching the Benson town signal, i heard the roar of CAI and saw a ANHC in my ORVM thundering down; trying to pass between our car and another sedan that was coming from the opposite direction. both the cars (the sedan and me) had to swerve to our respective lefts to avoid this guy!

after pulling off this stunt, he raced ahead, jumped every signal and disappeared. i tried to get a picture of him, but couldn't as he was zig-zaging through traffic. the police at the three signals that he jumped didn't even move a muscle!

the car is a gray ANHC with after market black and chrome alloys!
Old 9th May 2011, 14:49   #1882
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
..... the police at the three signals that he jumped didn't even move a muscle!
They would've if they had one.
(I guess paunch doesn't qualify as a muscle)

-- Torqy
Old 9th May 2011, 14:51   #1883
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqy View Post
... Once, i asked a stylish Merc driver whether he needs money to buy a car ashtray so that he can keep his hand and cigarette inside instead of blowing ash on us two wheelers.
For so many years, in my smoking days (although I would never have dropped litter or thrown anything else on the street) I threw my glowing cigarette butts out of the car window. One day, a biking friend asked me to imagine what it might be like for a biker to get a lit cigarette end in the face .

I never did it again.
Old 10th May 2011, 09:15   #1884
Distinguished - BHPian

Here's one dude driving a C class with both mirrors folded.
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-img00537201105100831.jpg  

Old 10th May 2011, 15:03   #1885
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Here's one dude driving a C class with both mirrors folded.
You see, C Class mirrors are expensive. You cant get them changed for just 100-200
Old 11th May 2011, 11:18   #1886
BHPian

Hi Ajmat, i guess you have pretty much covered the entire possibilities. Well, there are lots of them bad drivers out there to harm your vehicle or you (read that as our vehicles or us). So the issue is about how to escape from them? There might be lots of options and being in Delhi for the past 2 months on a project, i have watched the Mercedes, BMW, Audi, Jaguar etc DRIVERS. They drive with lots of care, patience and are alert always. For the simple fact that any damage to the car they drive is gonna be expensive and also that they might lose their job. So, here, patience is definitely a virtue and to be on complete alert always. Scanning all the mirrors, checking the blind spots and anticipating the moves by other drivers.

Happy and safe motoring to all fellow members.
Old 11th May 2011, 13:24   #1887
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitalson View Post
Hi Ajmat, i guess you have pretty much covered the entire possibilities. Well, there are lots of them bad drivers out there to harm your vehicle or you (read that as our vehicles or us). So the issue is about how to escape from them? There might be lots of options and being in Delhi for the past 2 months on a project, i have watched the Mercedes, BMW, Audi, Jaguar etc DRIVERS. They drive with lots of care, patience and are alert always. For the simple fact that any damage to the car they drive is gonna be expensive and also that they might lose their job. So, here, patience is definitely a virtue and to be on complete alert always. Scanning all the mirrors, checking the blind spots and anticipating the moves by other drivers.

Happy and safe motoring to all fellow members.
Scratches happen not only because of driving. I had parked my vehicle at Dadar, Mumbai for some shopping. Came back and was sitting inside the car waiting for wife to join me. A guy carrying a plastic bag with some materials inside, was just oscillating the bag thereby hitting the car and creating a scratch in my car. (coconut was inside). I confronted him on his way. The guy then only realised what he has done and said sorry and walked off. For me a Rs500 loss. These costs are to be included in the ownership costs too.
Old 16th May 2011, 09:28   #1888
Distinguished - BHPian

Bad driver(s). I thought driving school instructors were supposed to teach their students to adjust the ORVM first. It looks like its open, but it's not. I went close to check this and found that the driver cant see from the ORVM.
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-img00550201105160837.jpg  

Last edited by naveen.raju : 16th May 2011 at 09:30.
Old 16th May 2011, 09:43   #1889
BHPian

If you don't spot them visibly, you find them in newspapers. Bad driving talents.
Old 16th May 2011, 09:44   #1890
Distinguished - BHPian

"M for Mirrors" is obviously not included in their "A 2 Z"!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks