Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 19th May 2011, 16:44   #1921
BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitalson View Post
Hi All Team BHPians,

.. then asked the alwyn nissan driver to file a complaint against me. The traffic cop simply asked the truck driver to leave the place and he let me too to go.

Today, when i recall that incident, i am ashamed of my behavior. I am sorry that i too was reckless in my own way.
Hi Capitalson
Do not be ashamed since you were doing the right thing that most of us would mentally picture about. However one disadvantage is that we need to be sure of the whacko you are taking on (in case he had his croonies in the cabin) or you must have been pumping iron with plutonium added (Pm me your current car Regn # will ensure to give you way immediately even on a empty road)
Dieseldunk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2011, 18:13   #1922
BHPian

Hi Dieseldunk & gtonsing, thanks for your responses. Yes, i agree that what i did was sheer madness and equally stupid. But, the realization that those 2 guys could have easily killed me and my family for no reason at all just drove me crazy, i guess.

God forbid, even if that had happened, those guys would have come out of prison after a short stint inside. Such is our sad state of nation. Anyways, let us cheer up. There are lots of good drivers too, on road. And whenever i feel like having a good laugh, i usually go to youtube and search for funny women drivers/funny accidents. Those who haven't tried it yet, do it ASAP.
Old 19th May 2011, 18:17   #1923
BHPian

Quote:
...The traffic cop simply asked the truck driver to leave the place and he let me too to go.
I'll tell you what, I appreciate that cop for refusing to intervene and also allowing you to leave. It was, in a sense, a kind of street-smart, ready justice. He probably saw it this way and decided the truckers had been dealt a well-needed lesson.

Cops are over-burdened with all kinds of issues, and sometimes deal with situations in the most practical available method. In this instance, it would appear he was adhering to the "Spirit of the Law" rather than the "Letter of the Law".
Damu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2011, 18:48   #1924
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtonsing View Post
This is sortof related so posting from MSN India site.
Six sins of Indian motoring including the ‘battling sperm syndrome'
Six sins of Indian motoring including the
1. Riding without helmets
2. Sitting side ways and transporting children on two-wheelers
3. Not using rear view mirrors
4. Not wearing seat belt
5. Children in the back seat
6. We Indians are always in a hurry
That should read "Children in the front seat" since we're talking of driving sins. The mistake is from the original article on MSN website, not yours. But interesting reading nevertheless.

I think the biggest sin has been omitted: vehicles (especially HMVs) not being maintained at even a hygiene level of serviceability. This is the single largest cause of accidents and breakdowns on our highways. I wonder how many high-speed collisions could have been avoided if our trucks and buses, not to mention ageing taxis and vans, had functioning taillamps and brakes in perfect condition.
Old 19th May 2011, 20:23   #1925
BHPian

While people complain about drunken driving and regularly fined for drivers caught drunk, i just fail to understand why police do not book people who do not follow regular traffic rules.. Both are equally harmful IMO, if one gets the stick, why does the other get away?
Old 19th May 2011, 21:09   #1926
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alavandar View Post
I want to share some of my experience with bad drivers:-
Scene 1: East Coast Road, returning from Puducherry (Pondicherry) with my wife, night around 9 o clock, cruising at good speed. One Tavera cabie overtook me in a hurry. I had given way. Then he was right in front of me, slowing down. I also slowed down. He further slowed down for no apparent reason, the road ahead is well clear. When we were at 30 kph, he switched on the right indicator, signaling me to overtake him (this is a non-standard signal, but is followed by many). I decided to over take and did so. Increased speed as per the traffic and road condition. This guy did not leave me and started tailing at close with high beam, honking etc. Again I gave him way, he went ahead of my car and slowed down blocking the way. Then again he gave me way to overtake him. After two three such times, I decide not to overtake when he signaled but kept following him.

Scene 2: reserved for next posting
Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
Sounds very similar to what I'd experienced on NH-217 on the way from Palakkad to Kozhikkode, some 3 years back. I glanced at them just to make sure that the car hadn't hit anyone/anything, and then hit the gas. I'm sure that those guys would've take quite some time to recover from that shock.

They must've been a shock seeing the driver's antics
Oh boy oh boy!!!! Your encounters just reminded me of this film:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duel_(1971_film)
A 1971 movie in which the main character is in exactly your position, but is almost almost killed multiple number of times. PM me if you want the link the watch the movie.
(Note: Mods, if you consider it as irrelevant, please do watch the movie or delete this post.)

BTW, my Fiesta was rear ended today.

@Capitalson: In the 80's, my grandfather was in a similar situation. My Padmini was hit by a drunk trucker who sped away. My grandpa chased & intercepted him, dragged him out and bashed him, and then bundled him to the PS.

Last edited by Arkin evoisrevo : 19th May 2011 at 21:19.
Old 19th May 2011, 21:15   #1927
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damu View Post
I'll tell you what, I appreciate that cop for refusing to intervene and also allowing you to leave. It was, in a sense, a kind of street-smart, ready justice. He probably saw it this way and decided the truckers had been dealt a well-needed lesson.

Cops are over-burdened with all kinds of issues, and sometimes deal with situations in the most practical available method. In this instance, it would appear he was adhering to the "Spirit of the Law" rather than the "Letter of the Law".
Hi Damu,

I guess you are right. We have to accept the fact that cops are few in numbers and overworked. I owe that cop a thanks at least.

Well, i wanna share a fresh experience with you all. This happened about 1 hour back. I was coming back from work and as usual the traffic was thick, slow moving with about 6 to 7 lanes on the road that could accommodate only
4. All the lanes were inching forward with lots of guys trying to barge into either the left lane or into the right lane whenever they find a gap. Sure, you all know how unnerving it is. I saw a female in a white Wagon R, on my left, and CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS? She was texting furiously on her mobile and inching forward. I actually saw her eyes riveted on her mobile for at least 6 seconds and all the while her car was moving forward. Tell me please, how to react to this situation?
Old 19th May 2011, 23:35   #1928
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
All the lanes were inching forward with lots of guys trying to barge into either the left lane or into the right lane whenever they find a gap. Sure, you all know how unnerving it is. I saw a female in a white Wagon R, on my left, and CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS? She was texting furiously on her mobile and inching forward. I actually saw her eyes riveted on her mobile for at least 6 seconds and all the while her car was moving forward. Tell me please, how to react to this situation?
you gotta have one 'em aaahhooooogaaaaa sounding horns. go really close to her vehicle and sound a prolonged blast. that should dislodge the phone from her hand

while returning from work this evening, saw a Ritz driven by a woman just passing the BETL toll. when she hit the ramp, she was driving smack in the middle of the two lanes. when i passed her i saw that she was engrossed in a telephonic conversation!! going a bit forward i the Ritz swaying between the lanes. the best part - she wasn't wearing seat belts.

EDIT: forgot that i had taken pictures of the above.
Name:  _MG_9018.JPG
Views: 702
Size:  71.2 KB

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-_mg_9019.jpg

Last edited by IronH4WK : 19th May 2011 at 23:43.
Old 20th May 2011, 01:00   #1929
Senior - BHPian

Spotted this bad driver yesterday. Every time going too far to the right at left bends.
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-19052011318.jpg  

Old 20th May 2011, 01:37   #1930
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Damu,

Tell me please, how to react to this situation?
Perhaps carry a water pistol and squirt on the window!
Old 20th May 2011, 04:35   #1931
Senior - BHPian

what do you do if somebody starts tailgating you, or stops just inches behind you on a steep incline?
Old 20th May 2011, 09:51   #1932
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vina View Post
...or stops just inches behind you on a steep incline?
If you are confident of not rolling the car back when you start up, no issue. Otherwise, get down and explain the predicament to person behind and risk of damage to his car. Problem cannot be solved without cooperation from person behind.

In a way it would serve as a good experience for the person behind to maintain adequate gap from vehicle in front on inclines.
mmxylorider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2011, 10:28   #1933
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkin evoisrevo View Post
Oh boy oh boy!!!! Your encounters just reminded me of this film:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duel_(1971_film)
A 1971 movie in which the main character is in exactly your position, but is almost almost killed multiple number of times. PM me if you want the link the watch the movie.
(Note: Mods, if you consider it as irrelevant, please do watch the movie or delete this post.)

BTW, my Fiesta was rear ended today.

@Capitalson: In the 80's, my grandfather was in a similar situation. My Padmini was hit by a drunk trucker who sped away. My grandpa chased & intercepted him, dragged him out and bashed him, and then bundled him to the PS.
@Arkin evoisrevo; Though such retaliation is never encouraged, i think that those errant drivers would definitely think twice before committing such dastardly acts again. And there is surely a huge difference in getting your car dented/scraped and in facing possible death by rash, negligent, ignorant driving, right?
Old 20th May 2011, 11:23   #1934
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vina View Post
what do you do if somebody starts tailgating you...
Slow down, let him/her go ahead. If it's inside the city and traffic is thick, you can't do anything but hope that the vehicle behind has good brakes

Quote:
... stops just inches behind you on a steep incline?
Use your handbrake wisely to prevent your car from rolling back during the short span between lifting your foot off the brake pedal and pressing the A-pedal, and if you have to stop for a considerable duration, then you can do this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmxylorider View Post
... get down and explain the predicament to person behind and risk of damage to his car. Problem cannot be solved without cooperation from person behind.

In a way it would serve as a good experience for the person behind to maintain adequate gap from vehicle in front on inclines.

Last edited by silversteed : 20th May 2011 at 11:25.
Old 20th May 2011, 11:44   #1935
Senior - BHPian

saw this literate idiot in EC1 when i was RTB. since the Indica was parked that way on the right, the cement truck had to slow down a bit to pass it since there were vehicles coming from opposite side (the Alto and my car). this fool can't wait and tries to overtake the cement truck even though the Alto is right in its path, but gets stuck! takes a few minutes to get out of the mess he created, with help from the Alto and the cement truck guys.

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-_mg_9015.jpg

another idiot found in Kasturinagar. he waited till the last minute to get back to his lane. before the auto, he almost hit a two wheeler coming from the opposite side.

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-_mg_9041.jpg

@naveen_raju: this is a regular feature of Bangalore traffic
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-_mg_9037.jpg

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-_mg_9040.jpg

Last edited by IronH4WK : 20th May 2011 at 11:51.

Most Viewed