Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st May 2011, 09:19   #1951
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

This guy was driving bang in the middle of the road with goods overloaded.
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-img00560201105210247.jpg  

Old 21st May 2011, 11:58   #1952
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by h.k View Post
to spot bad drivers:
Rule 1 visit hyderabad, i thought kochi was bad, until i visited hyderabad.
Rule 2 if he try to overtake in a over bridge.
3 if he try to scrape through then he is a taxi driver.
if do indicators before turning
if he try to slide when a pedestrian try to cross.
he who does not stop for women elderly and children.
he who over take through left.
No way. The top spot is for us Bangaloreans. We won't let you snatch that away. Please come, visit us.
India might have 100 religions....but when it comes to bad driving we're the same idiot everywhere. That's Unity in Diversity.

Last edited by Torqy : 21st May 2011 at 12:04. Reason: Added
Old 21st May 2011, 12:46   #1953
BHPian

While driving at about 80kmph (at a stretch marked for 100kmph) in the night on NH7 (Thirunelveli-Madurai section), suddenly felt that something is going ahead of me or coming in my direction (a small blinking light) I slowed down fast and got my car to about 20kmph and realized there is this moron on a TVS moped coming on the wrong side ! Since i was slow i stopped to ask him why is he doing this, and his reply was "sir i am using the headlight so what's your problem ?" (while stopping i ensured i stopped at the designated truck lay bye area and shouted from one side to ask the question)

I did not feel like educating him, if i do so, he will become better. I smiled and continued my journey, i am sure some truck is not going to be nice to him soon !
Old 21st May 2011, 14:22   #1954
BHPian

I am not sure how many have observed this, but most of the people joining the road from a left lane, instead of keeping in the left most lane, they come to the right most lane by the end of the turning, ultimately getting themselves and those who are going in the fast lane aslo into trouble.

I had countless experiences for the same, and today morning I had one more to add to it. Some +2 going girl riding an activa, with two pillions (not to mention, without helmet) coming from the left lane joined the main road(outer ring road, j p nagar, near newly constructed underpass), and they were coming on to the main road's right most lane directly without looking for the traffic coming from the back. Moreover, they gave me a wierd look when I was honking them to observe the traffic on the road.
Old 22nd May 2011, 12:27   #1955
BHPian

Scene 1: Yesterday, I was waiting at the MEPZ signal for it to turn green with my indicator on. It was about to turn green, two helmet clad girls in their scooty busy talking, came very close and braked, felt a small thud, but couldn't get down as the median wall is high and I was waiting near it. Had to leave as the signal turned green the next moment. Cursed myself and came to office and saw a nice scar on the left side of the tail lamp cluster. Lucky they did not break it.

Today it was very bad for me.

Scene 2: I was returning from a Singaperumal koil and was waiting in a signal near Guduvanchery. The signal turned green and I moved the car.. then came a two guys on bike crossed the signal cooly.. I stomped the brakes and horn then they looked at the signal while crossing. lucky for them lucky for me no damage.

Scene 3: I was about to reach Chromept.. near the Tambaram TB sanatorium hospital the signal was green and i was about to cross the signal a biker from the opposite side decided to take a join the road.. he crossed the road, went to the middle land and came to the overtaking lane right in front of me.. again had to stomp on the brakes. It was just like what @rishie had described. Saw the biker, he was apolegetic, hope he will be careful next time.

Scene 4: Went home and then started to office.. MEPZ enterance.. There are two gates, the left one for entering and the right one for exit.. on Sundays alone the close a gate and allow traffic only on one gate it seems.. After the above incidents in the morning I took it drove very slow to office vary of bikers. The signal turned green and I crossed the signal and was about to enter the left gate, saw it was closed, cheked for the signal It was red for the opposite traffic, so switched on the left indicator and took a turn, I was about to enter the road to the right gate a guy in Activa jumped the signal and litterally rammed in to me, I was again stomping the brakes and horn, before I could react this guy fled the scene. Came to office and saw the scar, a long one on my left door. Felt I should have chased him down and punched him in the face. No request for money, just a nice punch in his face would have left me happy.

I feel very bad after all these incidents. Seriously thinking of taking the Aviator to office rather than the Fiesta. Even after all the indications, slowing down, following the lane, its patheitic to see things like this happen.

@sunishsamuel..
Its the same case in NH45-45B .
Guys if you are travelling between Chennai and Madurai be very careful from the outskirts of Trichi expecially after you cross Trichy you will encounter numerous Tata aces in the overtaking lane sometimes with even the headlights off, it is very difficult to spot them in the twilight time. Most of the times they will come with their headlights blazing towards you and the usual motoracers with their headlights and occasional lorries.
Old 22nd May 2011, 16:28   #1956
BHPian

Drive to confront & reform bad drivers

Hi fellow team members,

This an initiative to start a movement/drive to boldly confront all the bad drivers, make them realise their mistakes and to reform them.

Imagine the daily commute to work and back home, where all the bus, truck, van, car, auto rickshaw drivers and 2 wheeler riders adhere to all the traffic rules, obey the traffic signals, stick to their respective lanes and make proper signals before changing lanes/making turns, show due respect to other drivers/riders, maintain their vehicles properly and ensure that everything is in working order!!!

Imagine our roads where fatal accidents are very rare and accidents, be it major or minor, very few. No probable damage to our vehicles, no bruise to our egos.

Is it too much to ask for? Seriously. Are we waiting for others to take the lead and make this happen? What can i, you and everybody do to make this a reality?

Come on guys, instead of just posting our comments and experiences about bad drivers, let us Team BHP members take the responsibility and be change--agents.

Inviting everybody to become part of this drive, for a better india. Please contribute your ideas/view points about how to achieve this goal.
Old 22nd May 2011, 18:51   #1957
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitalson View Post
Hi fellow team members,

This an initiative to start a movement/drive to boldly confront all the bad drivers, make them realise their mistakes and to reform them.

Inviting everybody to become part of this drive, for a better india. Please contribute your ideas/view points about how to achieve this goal.

^ A online biking community, xBHP has volunteered and conducted many drives in different cities for safe riding. They distributed pamphlets about safe driving to educate bikers who were breaking laws. Maybe, we at TBHP can also do something in a similar vein.

On another topic, I saw this picture in Supercars in Hyderabad thread. In this pic, you can clearly see people stopping before the zebra crossing. Does this particular signal have a CCTV camera or something, because I don't think I've ever seen each and every vehicle stopping before the zebra crossing. Or is it that everyone in Hyderabad obeys the traffic laws? When will people learn to follow this in Mumbai?

Last edited by prateekm : 22nd May 2011 at 19:08.
Old 22nd May 2011, 19:12   #1958
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
On another topic, I saw this picture in Supercars in Hyderabad thread. In this pic, you can clearly see people stopping before the zebra lines.
You can also clearly see ... the policeman!
Old 22nd May 2011, 19:30   #1959
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
If they are obeying the traffic rules just because of the policeman, hats off to them. In Mumbai/Thane, 15 seconds before the signal turns green, half the people would have crossed the zebra crossing by 1-2 meters. Here, nobody waits for the green light, they just zoom off when the timer shows 5 seconds (yellow light on the adjacent signal). It just doesn't matter whether there is a policeman or not.

Last edited by prateekm : 22nd May 2011 at 19:35.
Old 22nd May 2011, 23:57   #1960
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I can see the Supercar! Which merc is it?
Old 23rd May 2011, 00:39   #1961
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.A.G.7 View Post
I can see the Supercar! Which merc is it?
NOT a supercar by any means. But it is an SLK200.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2011, 10:01   #1962
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekm View Post
If they are obeying the traffic rules just because of the policeman, hats off to them. In Mumbai/Thane, 15 seconds before the signal turns green, half the people would have crossed the zebra crossing by 1-2 meters. Here, nobody waits for the green light, they just zoom off when the timer shows 5 seconds (yellow light on the adjacent signal). It just doesn't matter whether there is a policeman or not.
At least from videos, and the Hyderabad traffic police facebook page, they seem to be doing a commendable job. I'll see if I can visit Hyd. next weekend (via AP-02 of course ). And they aren't inviting any brickbats as the Bangalore traffic police page does. Besides, an inspector also sent me a friend request, looking at my frequent comments!! (But I haven't ever been to Hyderabad!!)
Old 23rd May 2011, 11:56   #1963
Senior - BHPian

This is at the Bannerghatta Road - Outer Ring Road intersection. Quite a busy intersection any given day.
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-tbhp-2-wheels.jpg

No i have not photoshopped this Indigo. It's rear number plate is actually missing. That must have inspired this guy as he merrily jumped the red light at the next signal.

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-tbhp-indigo.jpg

Brigade Road - MG Road intersection. Its quite normal for two wheelers and company cabs to ignore the white line and the zebra crossing here. Don't know what to say of this NHC driver though.

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-tbhp-nhc.jpg
Old 23rd May 2011, 13:44   #1964
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
NOT a supercar by any means. But it is an SLK200.
Thanks, I got carried away by the side profile of the car!

Last edited by W.A.G.7 : 23rd May 2011 at 13:46.
Old 23rd May 2011, 13:52   #1965
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekm View Post
I need to voice this. Abroad, when a signal changes from Red to Green, the intersection gets cleared very soon, as in, cars move off very fast. Within no time, the road at the intersection becomes clear. However in India, irrespective of which city/state, it takes a long time to clear the roads after a signal changes. I have been pondering over this for quite sometime now. And have deducted the following possibilities:
1. Because of our more common Manual Shift cars, we are unable to "zoom off" as quickly as an auto-car would.
2. Due to our lack of lane discipline, we end up blocking each other.
3. Pedestrians. Our roads are not at all pedestrian friendly. If you look at Bangalore for instance, none of the flyovers or underpasses are pedestrian friendly. So pedestrians will HAVE to cross roads in the time when the lights change, thereby causing delay to vehicles moving out fast.
4. We are naturally inclined to create confusion? LOL.
Any further comments?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks