Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd May 2011, 15:24   #1966
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtonsing View Post
However in India, irrespective of which city/state, it takes a long time to clear the roads after a signal changes. I have been pondering over this for quite sometime now. And have deducted the following possibilities:
1. Because of our more common Manual Shift cars, we are unable to "zoom off" as quickly as an auto-car would.
2. Due to our lack of lane discipline, we end up blocking each other.
3. Pedestrians. Our roads are not at all pedestrian friendly. If you look at Bangalore for instance, none of the flyovers or underpasses are pedestrian friendly. So pedestrians will HAVE to cross roads in the time when the lights change, thereby causing delay to vehicles moving out fast.
4. We are naturally inclined to create confusion? LOL.
Any further comments?
Good observation. Among 4, I feel the 2nd one is the major cause.

Person responsible for the road (is it Traffic Police or Corporation?),
1) Hasn't marked the lanes or they have faded or they are unscientific.
2) Hasn't marked the turn directions. These marking give an idea which lane to take before entering the signal. This must be marked at least 100 meters from the signal.

In the absence of the guide marking, people squeeze in where ever there is space. And when the signal turns green, guy in the left wants to go right. Guy in the right lane wants to go straight and so on. People are wary of this and pass the signal at slow pace to accommodate who want to cut the lanes.
Old 23rd May 2011, 16:18   #1967
Distinguished - BHPian

There should be no need to mark lanes. Apart from the common-sense fact of being on the left to turn left, etc, lane discipline also requires to maintain position during a turn.

ie, if you are in the middle of three lanes, all turning one way, you should be in the middle all the way around and after the turn --- not cutting left or right.
Old 23rd May 2011, 16:22   #1968
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
ie, if you are in the middle of three lanes, all turning one way, you should be in the middle all the way around and after the turn --- not cutting left or right.
Yup. That's why i prefer to stay on the outer lane when turning. Many in front of me shift to the inside lane, thus leaving my lane empty.

Note: I am specifically talking about entry into Manyata Tech Park, where two lanes turn into the campus.
Old 23rd May 2011, 20:40   #1969
BHPian

Quote:
I need to voice this. Abroad, when a signal changes from Red to Green, the intersection gets cleared very soon, as in, cars move off very fast. Within no time, the road at the intersection becomes clear. However in India, irrespective of which city/state, it takes a long time to clear the roads after a signal changes. I have been pondering over this for quite sometime now. And have deducted the following possibilities:
1. Because of our more common Manual Shift cars, we are unable to "zoom off" as quickly as an auto-car would.
3. Pedestrians. Our roads are not at all pedestrian friendly. If you look at Bangalore for instance, none of the flyovers or underpasses are pedestrian friendly. So pedestrians will HAVE to cross roads in the time when the lights change, thereby causing delay to vehicles moving out fast.
Any further comments?
Hi gtonsing,

It's #2. Mostly, motor cycles and auto rickshaws sneak past you to the head of the line right next to the traffic signal, completely blocking everybody behind them and they switch off their engines. And they crank up their engines only after the signal turns green. Not yet over, and those waiting at the left corner cut across to the right and vice versa. The result is utter chaos and costs the rest of the traffic precious minutes. And Bangalore is notorious for this.
Old 23rd May 2011, 21:54   #1970
BHPian

Met an IDIOTIC MORON last night on Hennur Road in an Innova. The IDIOT overtook (rather tried) me rashly and his left mirror hit my mirror. I've been coming across a lot of rashly driven Innovas.

:(
Old 23rd May 2011, 22:21   #1971
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeswaranK7 View Post

I feel very bad after all these incidents. Seriously thinking of taking the Aviator to office rather than the Fiesta. Even after all the indications, slowing down, following the lane, its patheitic to see things like this happen.

@sunishsamuel..
Its the same case in NH45-45B .
Guys if you are travelling between Chennai and Madurai be very careful from the outskirts of Trichi expecially after you cross Trichy you will encounter numerous Tata aces in the overtaking lane sometimes with even the headlights off, it is very difficult to spot them in the twilight time. Most of the times they will come with their headlights blazing towards you and the usual motoracers with their headlights and occasional lorries.
1. I too drive on the stretch on GST you have mentioned. In fact Vandaloor to Pallavarm stretch, in fact till airport needs very careful driving.
2. As regards long distance, from Tambaram till Madhuranthagam we should be very careful. Too many sand trucks, two wheelers, trucks congesting the traffic. After Madhuranthagam, till Trichy outskirts is a pleasure to drive. As you get near Trichy, you will find trucks, buses, mini trucks, two wheelers and school buses casually come in the wrong side of the high way, without even switching on their head lights to warn the traffic in opposite direction. In this stretch, I found too many head on collisions reported in news papers.
3. Another menace on this road is near Thindivanam - occasional cattle herds will cross the road casually.
Old 23rd May 2011, 22:26   #1972
BHPian

It is not required for you to spot them. They will jump / pop up / run wildly / walk casually / appear all of a sudden in front of you.
Old 23rd May 2011, 22:27   #1973
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There should be no need to mark lanes. Apart from the common-sense fact of being on the left to turn left, etc, lane discipline also requires to maintain position during a turn.

My cent on that.
This etiquette is to be followed even in two lane roads as cutting across within the lane at right turns (from left extreme to centre or first to right for left turns) is also taboo as it blocks vehicles following. Especially two wheelers are the main culprits here.
Old 23rd May 2011, 22:30   #1974
BHPian

Quote:
I need to voice this. Abroad, when a signal changes from Red to Green, the intersection gets cleared very soon, as in, cars move off very fast. Within no time, the road at the intersection becomes clear. However in India, irrespective of which city/state, it takes a long time to clear the roads after a signal changes. I have been pondering over this for quite sometime now. And have deducted the following possibilities:
Any further comments?
Dear sir,
In my view, the traffic intersections do not get cleared more due to beat the light attitude of drivers. When the lights turn from green to amber, we are expected to slow down and stop at the red light. But most drivers, even if they are hundreds of meters away, will step on accelerator to cross the light before it turns to red. In crowded intersections, if the cop is not there to regulate, you will find ten vehicles squeeze in bumper to bumper even after the light turns from amber to red so that they can beat the light. How many people respect zebras and give way to waiting pedestrians to cross. Many a times, if we slow down or stop we do it at our own peril since some moron may tail gate from behind taking granted that we will not stop.
Old 23rd May 2011, 23:22   #1975
BHPian

Spotted these guys who put themselves and others at risk to save on pushing the bike.

The image below was taken last Saturday when we were returning from Mumbai. It was sometime around 12:30 am (post midnight). These chaps were on two bikes. The front bike had two people and the bike at the rear had 3 people. They were doing 50+ speeds (I was almost at 60 when I overtook them). The guy riding first pillion on the rear bike had his foot firmly on the first bikes rear (silencer) and they were "PUSH TOWING" the bike because they were out of gas! None of them had helmets on and they were overtaking other vehicles as well.

Sorry for the bad picture as it was taken on mobile cam while in motion in night mode. This was near the Flyovers just before the stadium (inorbit mall?).

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-idiots.jpg

When will these guys learn? If there is an accident, was it worth the risk?
Old 24th May 2011, 01:19   #1976
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
My cent on that.
This etiquette is to be followed even in two lane roads ...
Sure, rajeev, yes. My "three" was only an example. Whether it is three, two, or six, we should maintain the line through a turn, or even on a straight section where actual painted lines are missing.

Not to mention, of course, being on the left to turn left, and the right to turn right --- a simple fact that too many bad drivers seem oblivious too.
Old 24th May 2011, 07:16   #1977
BHPian

Quote:

This never works here.

As an example, in the Guindy Grade Separator, when you want to take the loop towards Guindy from Tambaram, you have to keep left.

There are 4 lanes, two for straight (to Koyambedu) and two for left. The 4th lane is marked with a left arrow (meaning you cannot go straight) and the 3rd lane is marked with both left and straight (meaning you can go either way).

What happens is that, all people who want to go left, try to jump to the 4th lane and all who want to go straight try to jump to 1st and 2nd lanes causing a havoc. The 3rd lane remains almost unused.

Little do they understand that they can still turn left or continue straight by remaining in the 3rd lane.

The latest roads in Chennai have proper lane markings and most of them are well planned too. Sadly, 95% of road users do not know what those markings mean

Last edited by para_7k : 24th May 2011 at 07:17.
para_7k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2011, 11:42   #1978
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by para_7k View Post
This never works here.

As an example, in the Guindy Grade Separator, when you want to take the loop towards Guindy from Tambaram, you have to keep left.

What happens is that, all people who want to go left, try to jump to the 4th lane and all who want to go straight try to jump to 1st and 2nd lanes causing a havoc. The 3rd lane remains almost unused.

Little do they understand that they can still turn left or continue straight by remaining in the 3rd lane.

The latest roads in Chennai have proper lane markings and most of them are well planned too. Sadly, 95% of road users do not know what those markings mean
Case in Point for Bangalore is the notorious (for me anyway) separation/bifurcation of the road that 1)merges traffic coming from Old Madras Road and another stream coming from Hebbal/kalyan Nagar; and 2) separates them just before the Suspended Flyover for traffic going towards tumkur and those that are continuing towards ITPL/ORR. The normal scene is, traffic from OMR and ORR merge and since its almost 6/8 lanes just before the flyover starts, traffic spreads all over the road. Now, the next stage. All the traffic, all over the lanes, need to move to either under the flyover or above it. Utter chaos! I travel daily through this place and no matter what time I travel, its always the same. Its a classic example of a design failure and lack of lane discipline!
Old 24th May 2011, 12:42   #1979
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by para_7k View Post
This never works here.

There are 4 lanes, two for straight (to Koyambedu) and two for left. The 4th lane is marked with a left arrow (meaning you cannot go straight) and the 3rd lane is marked with both left and straight (meaning you can go either way).
Thanks for the info. Will use the proper lane next time. I used to take the 4th lane for turning towards Guindy, next time will try and use the 3rd if the traffic permits :-).
Old 25th May 2011, 07:34   #1980
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

<sarcasm*>Unless you're a cab driver. Then you're allowed to apex the turn. Bonus points for right turns - you're allowed to touch the apex of the oncoming traffic's side of the road. </sarcasm>

* Aimed at cabbies, not at you, Thad!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks