Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 9th June 2011, 12:32   #2131
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Reading this thread i feel there are a few mistakes that i myself have made, but learnt not to make them again.

Last month while going with Kid and Wife on Sarjapur road (Agra junction) which is very narrow as construction is going on. The traffic was slow as a much wider road was getting very narrow near the construction site and folks were merging (Two lanes becoming one lane). I also merged and there was this grey swift guy who did not like my merging (Not really sure why, as i did not think it was my mistake also we were literally crawling at under 10 speed so absolutely no danger). Either way he was furious and showed me the indecent gesture (the finger one) which the kiddo did not understand and asked "Why is uncle showing finger".

I did not like the gesture tried overtaking him and stopping him and asking "Very nicely" the reason for the finger gesture.

Did anyone faced something similar because i have my theory but would like to hear from others if someone has faced this already.
Old 9th June 2011, 13:32   #2132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
A couple of days back

snip

I would consider people like these as bad drivers.
this happened in your lane? in front of your house?
Old 9th June 2011, 13:39   #2133
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
this happened in your lane? in front of your house?
Yup. Diagonally opposite my house, on 5th Main. My street is known for such incidents, because people assume it's empty and they can push the envelope.

What was even more annoying is that people on two-wheelers actually stopped their bikes in the middle of the road to get more than just a glimpse. They actually took their keys out and went straight to the car, while people in cars behind them seemed to want to visit the little-men's-room quite badly and kept honking, disrupting the peace in the neighbourhood.
Old 9th June 2011, 13:40   #2134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilisanil View Post
I was joining the Pashan NDA road from the road that connects to Bangalore highway. This road meets the NDA road as a T junction and I have to turn right. So this is a very tircky one as there is misplaced traffic circle at this junction probably due to road widening.
@anil - I know what you mean. I face the same problem as well. And something even more dangerous during the morning when you join NH4 near Praj. Traffic coming from Katraj side is already in >60 kmph range. This is what I do.

If there is a 4 wheeler in front of you, go parallel to it on it's left. As it starts merging, you kind of turn into its slipstream (if you know what I mean!). Essentially, the footprint of your turn is within what the car on your right is using. Your vehicle is saved from any last moment 2 wheeler who decides to pass through from either side. I'll see if I can sketch it up on paint.
Old 9th June 2011, 13:46   #2135
Distinguished - BHPian

anil, xylo-

The road I live off is so notorious for wrong-side driving that I actually now check the wrong side of the road while turning. Beat that! The only consolation is that this habit will help me the next time I drive in the US or other LHD country!
Old 9th June 2011, 17:39   #2136
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
Reading this thread i feel there are a few mistakes that i myself have made, but learnt not to make them again.

Getting angry and reacting with road-rage is a habit iam trying to correct.

Last week at Irla in vile parle, mumbai i found myself being squeezed in to the divider by a black sx4 / desire ( not sure ). my bumper was parallel to his front door. Honked and flash lights, no effect. traffic was a stop and 5kmph speed. i can see him looking at my car, he know its there, but still kept coming closer and closer, to squeeze me back and come into the first lane. 30 - 40 seconds of more honking and flashing lights had no effect.

I lost it, and went closer to the divider and decided to not let him billy me. I know my mirror was going to touch and push or break his mirror, or mine. I just didn't care.

Mirrors touched and mine closed but i was ahead. I was so pissed off that i further cut him off and made sure he had to come behind me.

All this was at crawling 5 kmph.

Now this moron get pissed off and starts honking and flashing. He kept the horn pushed for a good 5 minutes till the end of Irla lane and then right towards vile parle station on SV road.

I slow down, 2 lane next to me a empty, but he doesn't over take or come parrallel to me. Just stays behind me and kept on honking.

As i stop at my destination, on the same road, a restaurant, he just sped off. Guess he wasn't ready for a face to face confrontation.

Guess I am also guilty of road rage.

UM

Last edited by UniqueMods : 9th June 2011 at 18:05.
Old 11th June 2011, 00:18   #2137
BHPian

In general, if people are hell-bent on getting into "accidents-india-pics" thread, nobody can stop them. The only issue is they might crash into a soberly driven vehicle and sniff out the lives of an innocent family. All we can hope is the expert crashes into a tree and takes only his life.

-- Torqy
Old 11th June 2011, 11:09   #2138
BHPian

I was travelling to Ernakulam from Thrissur via NH47 few days back. It was on a Sunday afternoon and traffic was very less. I was doing good speeds (90-110) as the newly laid four lane road is in excellent shape. Just before Chalakkudy a white Wagon R started honking from behind. I pulled to the left lane to let him pass. I did not slow down (did not accelerate either) as the right lane was free for him to move ahead if he want to.

We were both doing around 100 and I could clearly see that Wagon R was struggling to keep up with my car (Swift D) at this speeds. He continued to honk like crazy expecting me to either stop or slow down so that he can overtake :-)

This drama continued till Angamaly where we both stopped at a traffic light. I got a good look at his car and was horrified. There were 3 adults (ladies) and 2 kids in the back seat. Another adult in the co-passenger seat with a baby (may be less than a year old) on his lap and the driver was a 50+ gentleman
Old 11th June 2011, 11:40   #2139
BHPian

This incident happened a couple of months back. I was in the Bannerghatta road, after the flyover, near the Mico factory -Bangalore, and as usual there was very heavy traffic with a lot of vehicles crawling and almost standstill for a couple of kilometers. As the opposite lane was almost empty, a guy driving a old santro starts driving on the wrong lane, and when he saw vehicles coming towards him he tried to get into my lane between me and a tractor almost scraping my bumper a couple of times, as I saw him coming in the wrong lane from behind I decided not to let him get into my lane. And when I thought I would let him after seeing him struggling in the wrong lane and blocking incoming traffic, he started to show me the middle finger!! That inspired me not to let him into my lane at all and finally he got busted by the cops for being in the wrong lane and creating another traffic jam.

What do you guys think, do you think I should have let him join my lane, or let him be on the wrong lane and block traffic?
Pri2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2011, 11:45   #2140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pri2 View Post
What do you guys think, do you think I should have let him join my lane, or let him be on the wrong lane and block traffic?
Not at all. Especially after that indecent gesture.
Old 11th June 2011, 11:58   #2141
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This incident happened a couple of months back. I was in the Bannerghatta road, after the flyover, near the Mico factory -Bangalore, and as usual there was very heavy traffic with a lot of vehicles crawling and almost standstill for a couple of kilometers. As the opposite lane was almost empty, a guy driving a old santro starts driving on the wrong lane, and when he saw vehicles coming towards him he tried to get into my lane between me and a tractor almost scraping my bumper a couple of times, as I saw him coming in the wrong lane from behind I decided not to let him get into my lane. And when I thought I would let him after seeing him struggling in the wrong lane and blocking incoming traffic, he started to show me the middle finger!! That inspired me not to let him into my lane at all and finally he got busted by the cops for being in the wrong lane and creating another traffic jam.

i think what you did was right. earlier i used to allow such people to moving into my lane thinking of the big picture and not causing a traffic jam. however, off late i've noticed people take advantage of this goodwill and drive in the wrong lane and just dive back in!

no more mr. nice guy!

Last edited by IronH4WK : 11th June 2011 at 12:13.
Old 11th June 2011, 12:35   #2142
BHPian

Quote:
What you have done is absolutely right, IMHO. Its really good to see the offenders getting punished right then and there. I use the same funda when somebody (read autoricks) come in the wrong lane and merge in front of me. But these guys just move further ahead and merge into the traffic somewhere or the other. It will look as if
Old 11th June 2011, 13:03   #2143
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I would have shown him mercy, but not after he showed the finger - I would have shown him the tyre iron.
Old 11th June 2011, 13:21   #2144
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What you did was absouletly right. I encounter such morons everyday and i try to do the same and at the same time try to ensure that he does no damage to my car. At any point if i feel that the person would cause damage my car i back off.
Old 11th June 2011, 13:25   #2145
Senior - BHPian

As you sow, so shall you reap. Instantly too...

Yesterday night around 9:30PM I have just come to a stop at the T.Nagar bus-stand roundabout, waiting for traffic to clear so that I can get onto the Usman Road flyover on my way home. Since all vehicles are at a standstill, a group of 3 girls attempt to crossover to the other side of the road, just in front of me. As soon as the last girl in the group puts her foot forward, an Indicab (call-centre) comes dangerously close to her, though there is no way for the car to move ahead - she is understandably terrified for a moment, gives the cabby a dirty look and walks on to join her friends. The cabby's behaviour being unwarranted, irritates me and I wish there was some way to give him a taste of his own medicine.

The signal clears and I move on - I can see the cabby in my RVM. After the flyover, at the Vivek's junction, the traffic lights are off and its a free-for-all. I see a Safari attempting to get onto the road from the road on the right and just before he reaches the centre of the junction, I have passed the junction. In the RVM I see the cabby attempting to follow me through the junction, but by this time the Safari has crossed over and heads straight for the cabbie, almost T-boning the cab, to evade which the cabbie has to move extreme left. Felt like instant justice being delivered.

Most Viewed