Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 20th June 2011, 22:43   #2236
BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Is there any such thing as a bicycle lamp (as in pedal cycle) in this country? Is it even available? Has anyone ever seen one? I mean, in recent years: my wife tells me that, forty years ago, cyclists with no light would be stopped by the police!
True. Those days, cops used to stop and check the following on cycles:
1. Light either battery or oil lamp or dynamo light.
2. Reflector on the rear.
3. Cycle license plate payable to municipality annually.
4. Bell
They also used to make sure people do not travel doubles on the cycles. Offenders on any of the above counts will be invariably stopped and the air from cycle tube removed by cops.
Old 20th June 2011, 23:02   #2237
BHPian

Ok guys - a confession (actually 2 confessions).

1) This happened almost 10 months ago, when I was enjoying the new car. I was driving on the road outside Aga khan palace (80 ft road?) on the left. I received a call, parked by the side, spoke on the phone and received some very good news. I started the car and moved on the road, with a nice big smile on my face. Lost in my thoughts, I did not see a gray NHC just about to overtake me. I was paying attention to the road but not to my ORVM. Suddenly, I swerved to the right to avoid a pothole and the NHC bumped into the right of my car just ahead of the bumper (the metal area where bumper meets the right fender). I appreciate the guys control and he just touched me Leaving my car with a fist sized dent. My right rear wheel cap came off and I think someone drove over it. It did not break.

The guy, was angry but very civilized. I apologized to him and even offered to pay damages if neccessary. Frankly I was in shock. He however just said, buddy, when you drive, pay attention to the road and walked off. Though, he didn't say anything nasty or did not take money. This incident has haunted me ever since. I still have that wheel cap on my wheel, with a nice black tyre mark which I want to keep as a reminder of my stupidity.

That day, I learned a couple of important lessons.
a) Pay attention to the road while driving. Listening to songs is good, hum them enjoy them. But look at the road.
b) Keep your mind clear. If you have any kind of news which may excite you (happy/ sad/ angry etc) stop by the side of the road for a few minutes for it to sink in. When you feel that you have absorbed that info only then drive. Esp. when you angry it allows you to cool down.
c) The biggest lesson the person taught me was - shouting and arguing does not help. If at that time he would have shouted and argued with me, probably I would have forgotten about it for ever after arguing with him. Instead his calm actually made me feel more guilty. Maybe this will help.

Dude if you are reading this - You are amongst my gurus! Thanks. And very sorry for damaging your car.

2) Today -
Driving to office and this car (alto) cut me from the left near wakdewadi junction. I just took a deep breath and let it pass. Just then a Santro with a lot of stickers on the front doors (all performance companies) with black roof and alloys also did the same. I still held my nerve. What happened next was the actual incident. At Megamart (dapodi) I overtook these two cars, because my lane was free. They were trying to turn into my lane with only the santro with indicators on. When I overtook them, they again started trying to overtake me, but with sizeable traffic, I just wasnt able to make space. Then the alto guy, literally STOOD on the horn, I moved to the side when I saw an opening and he instead of passing me, came beside my car. His windows were rolled down and he showed me the finger. The Santro guy did the same. That was the last straw. What happened next was me driving very quick, overtaking these two guys and blocking them everytime on purpose. I had both hands on the steering wheel, thumbs in the indents swerving continuously to block them. Just then, I saw a bus stopping and changed lanes, ensuring that they couldnt and they had to stop behind the bus.

I was a bad driver for this time. But, I think those guys deserved it. I am not proud of what I did but yes, I did try to maintain my cool for a pretty long time. I even followed rule (b) above, though I could not stop as there was traffic and I was on my way to office. I almost always drive defensively and give as much space as I can to others. But sorry, I am human.

Last edited by torquecurve : 20th June 2011 at 23:04.
Old 20th June 2011, 23:17   #2238
BHPian

Two near misses today. One of those might have resulted in me being with The Almighty by now.

Incident 1 (2:00 PM): I was approaching a signal(which was green) at about 30-35 kmph on my bike on a road that had a concrete median. As I intended to go straight, I was slightly to the left of center line. On the right, infront of me was a Getz, which was doing approx 20-25kmph. Behind this Getz was a Red Verna(i.e. he was parallel to me). Both of them were heading towards right. The "HyperActive" Verna guy thought he'll miss the green and kept on honking but Getz guy did not rush. All of a sudden, this Verna guy swerves to left. I m on his left but he doesnt care. He continues coming to his left. I had no other option but to go left. But I can go as far as the road ends and footpath starts. This Verna guy(rapidly accelerating) progressively comes to left-most part of the road till there is 1 meter distance from the left footpath. Heart-In-the Mouth situation for me. I slowed a bit and avoided getting banged by the left-front part of his car. Then almost got hit by the left-rear(boot overhang) but missed by a whisker. Thank God. I dont know how I survived.

Incident 2 (3:30 PM): I was driving my car in one of the residential areas at around 20kmph on a narrow road. Only 2 scorpios could pass each other on that road. A Maruti Omni guy (full of kids he picked from school) comes in opposite direction. Some 200 meters ahead of him was a guy with moped standing on the side of the road talking to somebody. I dont what happened to the Omni guy. He stands on the gas pedal and thunders down the road. By this time I have already approached the moped guy but sensing the Omni guy's madness, I stop my vehicle. This fellow,who probably had mud in his head, comes to extreme right and passes me missing my car by 2 inches. I blast him. He stops and has the cheek to tell me I was on wrong side. After exchange of some words(un-civilized from his side), he stepped out. I also got down and was about to thrash him. But did not do so. Why?
2 things:
1. My mom was inside the car and I did not want to create a scene there
2. Team-Bhp: The thought of me being a Team-Bhpian made me overcome the Moment of Insanity, avoid Road Rage and get on with my work. I m surprised and happy with myself for this behaviour.

Last edited by akhil_007 : 20th June 2011 at 23:22.
Old 21st June 2011, 00:05   #2239
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Although I'm not a rider, I'm aware of this, and that these things have become quite high-tech, with strobe effects that make the old-fashioned bicycle lamp of my childhood look like a candle. Yes, I remember those dynamos too

But here in India 2011?

Only the low-tech lamps are mandatory. I'm not sure, but strobing lamps may actually be illegal in U.K. (strobing happens due to dynamo not being a DC device, but actually an alternator - and the frequency of the AC is not very high so you can actually see the light intensity increase and decrease)

In India I don't think motor vehicles act applies to bicycles, I'm not aware of any other regulations for bicycles either - for example no rear view mirrors (and of all the "vehicles" I know bicyclists can use them most)
Old 21st June 2011, 02:45   #2240
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Another near miss.
I am on a wide road(without divider), with 2 lanes on each side.
As usual, the left lane as rickshaws.
I am behind a Nano, doing around 20kmph. The drive is on the cell phone.
I honk a couple of times, and this guy does not change speed. When oncoming traffic thins, I decide to overtake.
And guess what, Just as I start to overtake, this guy takes an abrupt right turn!
I slam the brakes, and miss him by inches.

No indicator, his ORVM is folding, and he is driving with one hand, with other on phone, and turning.

Obviously a NONO in a Nano! I really can't understand what goes on in the minds of the dear "OVRM gaurdians", perhaps they are superstitious, seven years of bad luck an all. Would all this change if Indian car makers introduced unbreakable, Polished stainless steel 'Mirrors' as OVRMS?

Hmmm, Its all in the origin, bullock carts din't have mirrors did they?
Old 21st June 2011, 02:50   #2241
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
We've heard of commercial vehicles with the brake lights not working. Ever seen one with fake brake lights? Sigh.....only in India!

Attachment 563299

Attachment 563300

Wonder what he had as headlights! Only in India! At this rate I suppose he could have a pair of Hellas and add a pair of lightforce! VFM lighting. And the Reg reads Mwn?

Last edited by YaeJay : 21st June 2011 at 02:53.
Old 21st June 2011, 03:04   #2242
BHPian

Quote:
Is there any such thing as a bicycle lamp (as in pedal cycle) in this country? Is it even available? Has anyone ever seen one? I mean, in recent years: my wife tells me that, forty years ago, cyclists with no light would be stopped by the police!

When I was a kid, the cycle light was a tiny kerosene lantern mounted in front of the handle bar. One would have to clean it up, fill kerosene, change the wick and light it up before one rides in the dark. Cops or no cops. I do wish I had saved one of those.

I've had the experience of the "dynamo" light. Ive experimented with a few.

The ones with Hi beams and low beams. I still might have a miller unit somewhere LOL. Fun days actually.
Old 21st June 2011, 03:21   #2243
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselLover View Post
I was driving back to thrissur from Ernakulam today afternoon. Car was fully loaded as my parents, sister, her husband and their 8 month old baby was travlling with me.

I was driving very carefully to avoid sudden speed changes as my sister and baby was in the back seat and was not wearing seat belts.
The incident happened when I was approaching the new Fly over near Potta Jn. This is a 3 lane (one direction) bridge and I was in the middle lane doing around 60kmph. There were few two wheelers in the left most lane. I can see a Skoda approaching from behind on the right lane and an Alto K10 directly behind me in the middle lane. Skoda guy overtook the Alto first and was approaching to pass my car. The very moment Skoda was overtaking me, the Alto moved to the left most lane and overtook me from left side. He squeezed between our car and the two wheelers and cut me in from the left. As the right lane was occupied by Skoda, I have to apply sudden brake to avoid hitting him. We were shocked by this sudden move and the only thing saved my sister and her baby was the slow speed we were doing.

I lost my cool (I shouldn't have, I agree ) at that moment and started to chase him down. Caught up with him in another 5 mins or so and forced them to stop by blocking his way. My BIL who was on the co passenger seat, rolled down the window and gave him a piece of his mind. A teenager was driving the Alto and his parents(I assumed) was travelling with him. They were terrified (never expected this I blieve) and could not even open their mouth !

I know I shouldn't have given in to road rage but the very thought of baby being harmed due to a stupid act by a moron made me behave like this.

That must be some fast tank you were driving at that time!
Old 21st June 2011, 09:07   #2244
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
This is my anticipatory bail plea.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselLover View Post
I know I shouldn't have given in to road rage but the very thought of baby being harmed due to a stupid act by a moron made me behave like this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by torquecurve View Post
Ok guys - a confession (actually 2 confessions).
I almost always drive defensively and give as much space as I can to others. But sorry, I am human
Quote:
Originally Posted by akhil_007 View Post
The thought of me being a Team-Bhpian made me overcome the Moment of Insanity, avoid Road Rage and get on with my work. I m surprised and happy with myself for this behaviour.
Is this some confession week or what???

Moral of the stories:

No matter how careful we are, otherguys on the road force us to become bad drivers.
TBHPians can be bad drivers and be the best at it (or rather worst) if they wish to. TBHpians are like sleeping lions
But TBHPians can control themselves from getting into road rage

I hope that more and more people become part of this breed...I don't expect this in my lifetime but confident that one day driving on our roads will be...say like Germany.
hemanth.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2011, 09:20   #2245
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
Is this some confession week or what???
Tell me about it!

And it is great to see that the entire TBHP community is so understanding and supportive and that no one has gone on a moral, holier-than-thou trip!

Of course, it goes without saying that this support should not be mistaken for encouragement.

Cheers
Amitoj
amitoj is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2011, 09:31   #2246
BHPian

Thats the thing I love about Tbhp. No one thinks of himself as being the superior (there are a few exceptions which crop up once in a way though ).

But yes, reading the posts on Tbhp has certainly made me a safer and better driver. E.g.: Was reading the other day about the importance of having both hands on the steering wheel when turning. Tried it and it certainly helps. The time I was chasing down the guys in the alto and santro I was actually doing this (high rpm shifts - thumbs locked in the recesses at 9 and 3). Realised it later.

I have been able to explain the importance of seatbelts/ helmets to my team. The accidents in India and this thread are handy when you explain this to people. 8 out of 10 people will agree to safety after looking at these two threads itself.
Old 21st June 2011, 12:45   #2247

the worst of the lot are 2 wheeler riders who turn their head 15 degrees east or west of their heading, to indicate right or left....and god help you if you cannot figure out which way they are turning......dikhra nai kya re..??
Old 21st June 2011, 13:02   #2248
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquecurve View Post
I was paying attention to the road but not to my ORVM. Suddenly, I swerved to the right to avoid a pothole and the NHC bumped into the right of my car just ahead of the bumper (the metal area where bumper meets the right fender).
Has happened to me too dude. Last week or the week before that.
I was trying to merge onto NH4 from a service road near Hotel Sayaji. I checked the road ahead, it was clear. Checked my rain drenched RHS ORVM, seemed clear too , so I began my slow movement from the left lane to the right. Only to "hear" screeching brakes behind me. Trust me, it was a true heart in mouth moment. There was this dark blue MH01 registered Accent directly behind me, and in my blind spot.

Lesson learnt, keep checking mirrors until the entire lane change manoeuvre is complete.

This is an XPOST from the Hinjewadi thread , but these folks definitely deserve a place on this thread.
Going on the wrong side , and then arguing with the traffic warden about being stopped for going on the wrong side :

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-image132.jpg

It happens only in Pune.
Old 21st June 2011, 14:01   #2249
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
This is an XPOST from the Hinjewadi thread , but these folks definitely deserve a place on this thread.
Going on the wrong side , and then arguing with the traffic warden about being stopped for going on the wrong side :

Attachment 563654

It happens only in Pune.

What are those guys in the 800 and i10 trying to do?
taking a u-turn because the police spotted them??
or trying to overtake the vehicle infront of them??
This is just heights of driving bad.
Old 21st June 2011, 14:12   #2250
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post

What are those guys in the 800 and i10 trying to do?
They were arguing with the traffic warden for stopping them from coming on the wrong side. The cops were making everyone coming in from the wrong side turn back and head in the right direction. A move, which apparently, didnt go down very well with the educated IT crowd of Pune.

Most Viewed