Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st June 2011, 14:18   #2251
BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandarMax View Post
I find some of the replies rather shocking.

I don't want to offend anyone, but I think it is not a question of habit or not being used to the side view mirrors. The side mirrors are necessary for the safety of your as well as other road users because the inside RVM is simply not enough. In fact there are blind spots even when using the rear and both the side view mirrors, so not using ORVMs only increases the chances of an accident.
Can't agree more. Not only do I think the side view mirrors are a must, I also think those sticky small round blind spot mirror thingys are very essential, especially in my 800. After having used the sticky blind spot mirror for more than a year now, I can't imagine how I did it without them in the first place.

The only problem I have with the side view mirrors are the I-don't-give-a-***-I'll-always-be-on-super-ultra-high-beam guys right behind me.
Old 21st June 2011, 14:21   #2252
BHPian

Is the Red i10 guy trying to take a U-Turn in the middle of the traffic? I think he is trying to take a U-Turn there.

EDIT: Just saw the response, due to some network issue, my post got posted very late.

This is a regular thing in Hyderabad, where the cops themselves ask the people to go in the wrong side during peak traffic hours. This has been rampant for a long time and still is being done. Instead of allowing people to drive on wrong side, atleast think about widening the roads, but no one seems to be thinking about it.

Last edited by traveloholic : 21st June 2011 at 14:23.
Old 21st June 2011, 14:29   #2253
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
They were arguing with the traffic warden for stopping them from coming on the wrong side. The cops were making everyone coming in from the wrong side turn back and head in the right direction. A move, which apparently, didnt go down very well with the educated IT crowd of Pune.
sajo: I think you should say literate, because the word educated doesnt sit too well with these half witted morons having inflated egos.
selfdrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2011, 14:35   #2254
Distinguished - BHPian

many a times the saddist inside me wakes up and I think of a punishment.

For such UNEDUCATED LITERATES, the warden or the police should not put a fine.
Instead they should stop these guys on the roadside and deflate two tyres. That should also deflate their egos as well
Old 21st June 2011, 15:24   #2255
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
They were arguing with the traffic warden for stopping them from coming on the wrong side. The cops were making everyone coming in from the wrong side turn back and head in the right direction. A move, which apparently, didnt go down very well with the educated IT crowd of Pune.

Why is the traffic warden arguing - he should fine them for breaking the rules and then get them arrested for "preventing a public servant from discharging his duties" (i.e. for arguing with him).
Old 21st June 2011, 15:31   #2256
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vina View Post
Why is the traffic warden arguing - he should fine them for breaking the rules and then get them arrested for "preventing a public servant from discharging his duties" (i.e. for arguing with him).
Guess he could be arguing about his fees to avoid discharging his duties . Well the very fact these bad drivers get away with being bad has a lot to do with bad administration + lack of civic sense.

Last edited by JoeMichael : 21st June 2011 at 15:46.
Old 21st June 2011, 15:33   #2257
BHPian

Quote:
Lesson learnt, keep checking mirrors until the entire lane change manoeuvre is complete.
As mentioned in my earlier post, just checking the mirrors is not enough for avoiding blind spots, you actually need to turn your head and check (this is also called "headcheck").
Old 21st June 2011, 15:44   #2258
Senior - BHPian

For literate and so-called "educated" people who so blatantly break the law, I think the best punishment is to make them go through the system. Challan them, don't accept a fine but make them go to traffic court.
Make them waste a few days of their *precious* time, which they tried to save by breaking the law.
Old 21st June 2011, 18:04   #2259
Distinguished - BHPian

Whilst I agree in theory, aren't the courts pretty clogged up with their existing workload?
Old 21st June 2011, 18:30   #2260
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Whilst I agree in theory, aren't the courts pretty clogged up with their existing workload?

Traffic courts are different form the normal courts AFAIK, and they are not that clogged up. Besides, once police starts sending people to these courts, people will avoid the foolishness in the first place.
Old 21st June 2011, 18:53   #2261
Distinguished - BHPian

Oh... I didn't know there were separate courts. In this city, at least, I can't imagine them having much work to do at all!
Old 21st June 2011, 18:55   #2262
BHPian

Vina, I don't think there's something called as Traffic Courts as I personally was involved in one issue and had to go to Civil Court (Nampally Civil Court) to pay the challan.

It was the year 2008, the time when new Traffic Commissioner took over the job a few days back and introduced a new law to confiscate the vehicles of people driving on the pavements, wrong side and parking at No-Parking zones. I was one of the victims to the newly introduced law. I was on the way to office & if you are aware about the HDFC Bank ATM on the Raj Bhawan Road, which is before Governer's Residence (as soon as you turn right from Khairatabad Flyover towards Raj Bhavan Road, this is on your immediate left).

I parked my bike outside the ATM and rushed in to withdraw money, even before I could complete the transaction, I heard the siren of the Tow Vehicle, with a couple of constanbles trying to lift my Bajaj Avenger (they died doing this ). My vehicle was taken to PS & had to go to Court on Thursday to pay the fine and release my bike from PS. These Traffic Courts work only on Thursdays & I was without a bike for 4 whole days.
Old 21st June 2011, 19:49   #2263
BHPian

Quote:
Using the word educated for such certified morons is a slur to this word. They are Literate not educated. Literate because they can read, write and type what was taught to them. Uneducated because they lack basic civic sense.
Old 21st June 2011, 20:36   #2264
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveloholic View Post
Vina, I don't think there's something called as Traffic Courts as I personally was involved in one issue and had to go to Civil Court (Nampally Civil Court) to pay the challan.

It was the year 2008, the time when new Traffic Commissioner took over the job a few days back and introduced a new law to confiscate the vehicles of people driving on the pavements, wrong side and parking at No-Parking zones. I was one of the victims to the newly introduced law. I was on the way to office & if you are aware about the HDFC Bank ATM on the Raj Bhawan Road, which is before Governer's Residence (as soon as you turn right from Khairatabad Flyover towards Raj Bhavan Road, this is on your immediate left).

I parked my bike outside the ATM and rushed in to withdraw money, even before I could complete the transaction, I heard the siren of the Tow Vehicle, with a couple of constanbles trying to lift my Bajaj Avenger (they died doing this ). My vehicle was taken to PS & had to go to Court on Thursday to pay the fine and release my bike from PS. These Traffic Courts work only on Thursdays & I was without a bike for 4 whole days.
Well I went with a friend in Delhi to the court once (he was speeding and without helmet - license confiscated) - the court we went to was in a shabby building somewhere close to Gurgaon - and the guys seemed to be taking only traffic cases.

May be they had so many traffic cases piled up that it was some sort of "traffic case mela" that day and I got confused. Or may be, as you have written, the normal courts hold traffic cases only on certain days.
Old 22nd June 2011, 09:17   #2265
Distinguished - BHPian

Saw two law enforcers breaking the law.

1) High Court Judge - Traffic was held up and saw this judge's car taking the wrong lane and finding his way out of traffic.
2) Police patrol jeep - Red signal at the junction and a long line of vehicles. Seeing this the jeep takes the wrong lane (in spite of a median being present) and waits in front for the green signal.

They are supposed to enforce the law and not break it. Since they were doing this, I noticed many others following them and stopping behind their cars. I wanted to click the snaps but couldnt since my phone's battery ran out.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks