Attached Images

nileshch is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th June 2011, 07:22   #2312
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by nileshch View Post
This is my daily routine on airport road
To be continued.... Is it? Or thematic apprehension.
Sorry if I am wrong. I searched for some pages backwards, nothing found in this regard.
Waiting for the next episode.
Old 28th June 2011, 07:35   #2313
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k

Sorry if I am wrong. I searched for some pages backwards, nothing found in this regard.
Oh. Did you check the attached image? It is a continuous stream of bad drivers you get to see at the WTR junction of airport road!
Old 28th June 2011, 10:50   #2314
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
got a confession to make.

got a traffic ticket this evening for jumping a signal on the Infantry road, near the Commissioner's office. i would have stopped as it was amber when i was approaching the stop line, but then what i saw in my RVM made me cross the the stop line, just as the signal turned red - there were two motorcyclists speeding directly behind me, ready to jump the signal. jumping the signal was far better than these two splattered on my backside!

as i passed, promptly the constable walked right in the middle of the road and stopped the two cars ahead of me and myself (the two motorcyclists sped away dodging the constable) asked the other two to leave and asked me to park the my car of the side. i did so and got the car papers and my licence out to show to the inspector. he took down the details and told me that i would have to pay fine to which i said i understand - it was my mistake (btw, he was very polite). he quickly entered the details into his Blackberry and printed the receipt on the portable printer on the seat of his motorcycle.

i apologized to the inspector for jumping the signal - didn't provide any excuses and headed back to my car.

i'm not proud of what i did, but didn't have much of a choice.

end of confession.

Hey IronH4WK,

What you did was absolutely right. I mean, not trying to talk your way out. That's what i call a "Gentle man on road". And your piece was not a confession as you did nothing wrong.

Keep being good. Let us Team BHP'ians usher in a change.
Old 28th June 2011, 11:12   #2315
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
hey, what software did you use to create that picture? could be useful to others too! please share (the name)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitalson View Post
Hey IronH4WK,

What you did was absolutely right. I mean, not trying to talk your way out. That's what i call a "Gentle man on road". And your piece was not a confession as you did nothing wrong.

Keep being good. Let us Team BHP'ians usher in a change.
thanks mate! i had this guilt brewing inside me after jumping that signal. i had to vent out
Old 28th June 2011, 11:14   #2316
BHPian

Quote:
Nilesh,

i think you should be on the right lane....if there is no dedicated lane for U-turn. At some signals, straight ahead gets green much before the right turn signal. If right going traffic stays on center lane, it might block the straight going traffic.

This is what i follow.
Right lane - Right turn, U-turn
Centre lane - Straight Ahead
Left lane - left.

-- Torqy
Old 28th June 2011, 11:14   #2317
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
Check the red car in the diagram. taking a U turn from the outer most lane cutting off the other cars!
Old 28th June 2011, 11:28   #2318
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqy View Post
Nilesh,

i think you should be on the right lane....if there is no dedicated lane for U-turn. At some signals, straight ahead gets green much before the right turn signal. If right going traffic stays on center lane, it might block the straight going traffic.

This is what i follow.
Left lane - left.

-- Torqy
IMO, Nilesh's position at the signal is correct.

at that signal, you have two lanes waiting turning right and two lanes going straight. logically, the ones who want take a u-turn should be where the white car is in the diagram (white lane) and the ones taking a right turn should be where Nilesh's car is (orange lane). the red car in the diagram is actually impeding the traffic going straight.

many a times people in the orange lane take a u-turn and the ones in the white lane want to turn right. what ensues is chaos
IronH4WK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2011, 11:35   #2319
BHPian

Quote:
IMO, Nilesh's position at the signal is correct.

at that signal, you have two lanes waiting turning right and two lanes going straight. logically, the ones who want take a u-turn should be where the white car is in the diagram (white lane) and the ones taking a right turn should be where Nilesh's car is (orange lane). the red car in the diagram is actually impeding the traffic going straight.

many a times people in the orange lane take a u-turn and the ones in the white lane want to turn right. what ensues is chaos
In general, right - for right / U, center for straight, left - for left would be a good thing to follow. In your case, if right turn traffic stays on center lane, straight and left going traffic will be pushed to one single lane. What then if the left gets green? Wouldn't there be chaos? Its better not to mix traffic "wherever possible". You can't avoid such situations on a 2 lane road.

Edit: ok, i guess you mentioned there are 2 free lanes for straight and left.

-- Torqy

Last edited by Torqy : 28th June 2011 at 11:40.
Old 28th June 2011, 11:44   #2320
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In general, right - for right / U, center for straight, left - for left would be a good thing to follow. In your case, if right turn traffic stays on center lane, straight and left going traffic will be pushed to one single lane. What then if the left gets green? Wouldn't there be chaos? Its better not to mix traffic "wherever possible". You can't avoid such situations on a 2 lane road.

-- Torqy
like i said earlier, there are 4 lanes (not marked, but created by people), not three (the road widens at this signal) and one cannot take a left turn because its the N.A.L gate and unless you're authorized to enter, you can't turn left. so basically its straight and right traffic at that junction (mostly).

EDIT: lol, just read your edit

Last edited by IronH4WK : 28th June 2011 at 11:45.
IronH4WK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2011, 12:15   #2321
BHPian

It is allowed for a heavy vehicle to take U turn from extreme left, only for heavy vehicle! Reality is quiet different! Small cars to all cabs assume/elevate their status to heavy vehicle in such signals. This is common practice in hosur road also. e.g. There are no right turn from service road to EC road in Bommanhalli junction. Yet we have several genius doing the same, blocking the way!
Old 28th June 2011, 12:54   #2322
BHPian

Hi all,

I have a real big confusion when it comes to roundabouts here. (I was abroad for the first 18 years of my life, but I got my licence here) There, the cars who are "rounding@ the roundabout get priority over the cars about to enter the roundabout, and the cars entering have to give way.

What I see here is the exact opposite. The cars entering do so without looking left or right, as they please, while the "rounding" guys have to give way to them. Which way is supposed to be followed here?
Old 28th June 2011, 13:31   #2323
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed.Demon View Post
Hi all,

I have a real big confusion when it comes to roundabouts here. (I was abroad for the first 18 years of my life, but I got my licence here) There, the cars who are "rounding@ the roundabout get priority over the cars about to enter the roundabout, and the cars entering have to give way.

What I see here is the exact opposite. The cars entering do so without looking left or right, as they please, while the "rounding" guys have to give way to them. Which way is supposed to be followed here?
Do you remember the "Give way to traffic from the right" rule? Nobody bothers following it, but I think it still is there.

If vehicles on the roundabout need to give way to vehicles joining the roundabout, then it will cause a gridlock. Everybody wants to move and nobody wants to give way. So basically what we have is a game of "push in and take precedence".

Observe. And learn to play that game, is all I can say.
Old 28th June 2011, 14:08   #2324
BHPian

Quote:
hey, what software did you use to create that picture? could be useful to others too! please share (the name)
I used Visio 2010 for this. They have a 3D map stencil for this.

Quote:

This is what i follow.
Left lane - left.
Quote:
like i said earlier, there are 4 lanes (not marked, but created by people), not three (the road widens at this signal) and one cannot take a left turn because its the N.A.L gate and unless you're authorized to enter, you can't turn left. so basically its straight and right traffic at that junction (mostly).
IronH4wk answered that for you, Torqy . It is a 4 lane road and 2 lanes have been marked by the traffic police for the right turn. It is frustrating to see that people cannot understand this simple rule. 'Educated' owners of big cars do this frequently at this junction!
nileshch is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2011, 14:25   #2325
BHPian

Quote:
got a confession to make.

got a traffic ticket this evening for jumping a signal on the Infantry road, near the Commissioner's office. i would have stopped as it was amber when i was approaching the stop line, but then what i saw in my RVM made me cross the the stop line, just as the signal turned red - there were two motorcyclists speeding directly behind me, ready to jump the signal. jumping the signal was far better than these two splattered on my backside!

as i passed, promptly the constable walked right in the middle of the road and stopped the two cars ahead of me and myself (the two motorcyclists sped away dodging the constable) asked the other two to leave and asked me to park the my car of the side. i did so and got the car papers and my licence out to show to the inspector. he took down the details and told me that i would have to pay fine to which i said i understand - it was my mistake (btw, he was very polite). he quickly entered the details into his Blackberry and printed the receipt on the portable printer on the seat of his motorcycle.

i apologized to the inspector for jumping the signal - didn't provide any excuses and headed back to my car.

i'm not proud of what i did, but didn't have much of a choice.

end of confession.

My kudos to you mate for the honesty displayed
OTOH why in hell did the cop let go of the bike lunatics (in fact he should have fined them for a collective offence, maybe he had a feeling of brotherhood since the bikes were of the same make as the cop's)
rgds
Prasad

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks