Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th June 2011, 14:30   #2326
BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqy View Post
Nilesh,

i think you should be on the right lane....if there is no dedicated lane for U-turn. At some signals, straight ahead gets green much before the right turn signal. If right going traffic stays on center lane, it might block the straight going traffic.

This is what i follow.
Right lane - Right turn, U-turn
Centre lane - Straight Ahead
Left lane - left.

-- Torqy
Well Torqy
Have you driven in Chennai. Seems you have not yet had the privilege of driving in the most disciplined traffic in India.
Well we do the best in lane changes or turns. just switch on the left indicator ,signal by the right hand and keep going straight. This way none can catch us for wrong lane movement (pl substitute we with auto generaly and liberally)

rgds
Prasad
Old 28th June 2011, 16:03   #2327
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaguHolla View Post
It is allowed for a heavy vehicle to take U turn from extreme left, only for heavy vehicle!
Over taking is the word used in single lane traffic road. If there are two lanes, travelling on the left lane faster than the slower vehicle on the right is not overtaking. The right lane vehicle should be fined if it is moving slowly and obstructing traffic.

An observeration to spot a bad driver:
Look for non-city registered vehicles which are from villages or local towns. Most of the drivers are really bad as they do not know what is lane driving. They always drive on the middle on the road and they never have any respect for the lane dividing while dashed lines.

Here is another thumb rule, that I have noticed on Indian Highways.
Karnataka registered truck drivers only drive on the right most lane and never give side even if you honk (Loud Horn as mentioned behind the truck) or use dim-bright.
The opposite is true with TamilNadu registered trucks. They usually give space for the traffic behind after they overtake by moving to the left/middle lane.
Tommie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2011, 16:20   #2328
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Over taking is the word used in single lane traffic road. If there are two lanes, travelling on the left lane faster than the slower vehicle on the right is not overtaking. The right lane vehicle should be fined if it is moving slowly and obstructing traffic.
well, yes, it is overtaking --- unless the two lanes are heading for two routes and one is simply moving faster than the other.

It is bad driving to obstruct other vehicles, certainly, and, according to law (assuming the Indian law to be based on the British, which is mostly seems to be) the slower vehicle should be in the left-hand lane. In fact, the British motorway/multi-lane rule is stay to the left except when overtaking. There is no slow lane, fast lane, medium-speed lane, bit-faster-than lane or any such thing. There is no minimum speed, either, although horses, horse-drawn vehicles, pedal cycles, pedestrians, etc are not allowed on motorways.
Old 28th June 2011, 16:22   #2329
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nileshch View Post
This is my daily routine on airport road
Sorry, but you aren't quite right imo;
you seem to be munching into half of the -> lane and half of the ^ lane. This is Bangalore, not Chennai where you often have dedicated u-turn lanes/signals.

Besides, Even when it turns green for the right lane, the guys turning left from WT road bunk their signal and turn, making it next to impossible for us to take our U-turn.

This is what I do in case of too much traffic: Take the left and then a U-turn at the NAL gate, and when its green, turn right ( instead of taking the u-turn at the junction)
Blue is the path I follow.
Old 28th June 2011, 16:41   #2330
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkin evoisrevo View Post
Sorry, but you aren't quite right imo;
you seem to be munching into half of the -> lane and half of the ^ lane. This is Bangalore, not Chennai where you often have dedicated u-turn lanes/signals.
Don't go by the image. It is only an illustration. If you frequent this junction, you will see that traffic police (when they are not sleeping) make sure there are exactly 2 lanes for the right turning traffic. But after the signal turns green, all hell breaks loose and the red cars (from the illustration) suddenly become very aggressive.

Quote:
Besides, Even when it turns green for the right lane, the guys turning left from WT road bunk their signal and turn, making it next to impossible for us to take our U-turn.

This is what I do in case of too much traffic: Take the left and then a U-turn at the NAL gate, and when its green, turn right ( instead of taking the u-turn at the junction)
Blue is the path I follow.
The fact that others are breaking the rules should not force you to take a different approach for the U-turn. If I were in your place, I would be patient and allow the offenders to take the left turn and then complete my U-turn.
Old 28th June 2011, 16:53   #2331
BHPian

Quote:
Don't go by the image. It is only an illustration. If you frequent this junction, you will see that traffic police (when they are not sleeping) make sure there are exactly 2 lanes for the right turning traffic. But after the signal turns green, all hell breaks loose and the red cars (from the illustration) suddenly become very aggressive.

The fact that others are breaking the rules should not force you to take a different approach for the U-turn. If I were in your place, I would be patient and allow the offenders to take the left turn and then complete my U-turn.
FYI, I LIVE 200m from the U-turn, and my cars use it about half a dozen times a day.
About the TP of the junction, they are elaborate jokers, and I've NEVER seen these jokers even give a bit of recourse for us U-turners, and are always willing to allow people to break the rules. If you are a biker, I wouldn't say anything, but since you are in a car, and creating a double - lane situation, with your left wheels on the straight lane, I'd consider that aspect of your driving, bad.

And I don't get the logic behind your 2nd para.
Old 28th June 2011, 18:08   #2332
BHPian

Quote:
This is my daily routine on airport road
In a sudden moment of clarity I realized that nileshch's pictogram sums up ~40 percent of the root cause for the chaos on Indian roads. If only we stuck to our lanes at junctions (also, in general), road rage would've reduced many folds.
Old 28th June 2011, 18:26   #2333
Senior - BHPian

Uber cool parking by a software engineer! (is there a bad parking thread?)
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-20110628_001.jpg  

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-20110628_002.jpg  

Shubz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2011, 19:40   #2334
BHPian

Quote:
FYI, I LIVE 200m from the U-turn, and my cars use it about half a dozen times a day.
Excellent. So you must have noticed the metal barricades used by the traffic police to demarcate the right turning lanes. These metal barricades fall right on the spot where you think my left wheels pass through.

Quote:
About the TP of the junction, they are elaborate jokers
I am not so critical of the traffic police as you are. Yes, they look the other way at times. But I see them do their job a tad bit more sincerely than the Pandus of Mumbai, inspite of the fact that Bangalore has more traffic violators than I ever saw in Mumbai.

Quote:
And I don't get the logic behind your 2nd para.
It just means - Discretion is the better part of valor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooney View Post
In a sudden moment of clarity I realized that nileshch's pictogram sums up ~40 percent of the root cause for the chaos on Indian roads. If only we stuck to our lanes at junctions (also, in general), road rage would've reduced many folds.
Haha, absolutely. Fast lane changing and driving on lane markings is the most irritating thing I see on roads these days!

Last edited by nileshch : 28th June 2011 at 19:49.
Old 28th June 2011, 23:23   #2335
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommie View Post
Here is another thumb rule, that I have noticed on Indian Highways.
Karnataka registered truck drivers only drive on the right most lane and never give side even if you honk (Loud Horn as mentioned behind the truck) or use dim-bright.
The opposite is true with TamilNadu registered trucks. They usually give space for the traffic behind after they overtake by moving to the left/middle lane.
So very true Tommie.
The TN reg. trucks move to their left like they're in some hurry. I've noticed some cars, who try to overtake the truck as soon as the truck is done with its overtaking, don't even wait for the truck to complete its maneuver and getting pushed to the left extreme as a result.
I don't blame the truckers in fact, the smaller vehicles don't realize that the meaning of left indicator on the truck is for moving to the left lane and not for yielding his left lane for the vehicle at the rear.

These are some of the basic signals that people tend to mis-understand on the highways. To me these "ignorant drivers" are bad drivers.
Old 29th June 2011, 00:01   #2336
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommie View Post
this is a fact of sorts. on my recent trip to Pune i found that HR, TN, RJ, MH and DL registered trucks give way to vehicles trying to overtake and/or at higher speeds. i also noticed that many of them gave way even before they were asked for it. i was really impressed (the so called educated lot in our city can't follow this courtesy)!

seeing this my brother-in-law and myself started keeping a note of which trucks gave way and to our astonishment we found that except for KA registered trucks, ALL trucks gave way to vehicles trying to overtake them! i'm not exaggerating here, this really happened! sad but true
IronH4WK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2011, 00:21   #2337
Senior - BHPian

The images attached below were clicked by me on Sunday, October 24th 2010 at 4:34 PM!

1) The election campaigners made it a point to block the National Highway 17 (near Padikkal, Malappuram - Kerala) for a good amount of time! err...this is INDIA!

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-dsc01712.jpg

2) Here comes a FIATian!

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-dsc01713.jpg
Klub Class is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2011, 00:35   #2338
Distinguished - BHPian

Umm.. would a decently dressed guy overtaking a car from left, in a pulsar, at 7:00 PM, wearing dark sunglasses, in a light drizzle.. qualify for a bad driver? And yes... he was driving one handed, with the other hand combing his ultra stylish hair.

Venue: College bus stop.
Old 29th June 2011, 00:41   #2339
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Umm.. would a decently dressed guy overtaking a car from left, in a pulsar, at 7:00 PM, wearing dark sunglasses, in a light drizzle.. qualify for a bad driver? And yes... he was driving one handed, with the other hand combing his ultra stylish hair.

Venue: College bus stop.

It depends - was he a Khan (Amir, Salman, Shahrukh ...)? A Kapoor would do too. If yes then you are mistaken my friend he was a great driver

Last edited by vina : 29th June 2011 at 00:44.
Old 29th June 2011, 11:37   #2340
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
Uber cool parking by a software engineer! (is there a bad parking thread?)
Hi

+1 to that.
in the pic the white car(on the right of the estillo) is also parked in the same manner so who followed whom and why is big question.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks