Search this Thread
Old 29th June 2011, 12:23   #2341
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseldunk View Post
Hi

+1 to that.
in the pic the white car(on the right of the estillo) is also parked in the same manner so who followed whom and why is big question.
The white car (old zen) is parked correctly.
If you carefully observe the photos, you see a green car behind the white zen (it is a beat), and also in the second photo, there are many cars parked. All these cars are parked in the same direction.

This place where the estilo is parked is a corner.
He has followed the zen instead of following the car which is in the perpendicular direction.
Agreed that he should have seen the yellow lines while parking.
He must have thought the corner slots are turned this side
Below is a picture to illustrate my point
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-car.jpg

But I give him the benefit of doubt, assuming that might be a busy and intelligent software engineer
Old 29th June 2011, 13:05   #2342
Senior - BHPian

Saw an instance of bad driving behaviour today. What amazed me was that, inspite of the various bad-driving we do/see on the road daily, this was something I don't remember seeing for a loooong time.

I had just crossed the Perungudi toll on OMR on my way to work, when I see a Govt. City bus to my left, which also has just crossed the toll. While driving, the driver takes out a cigarette and lights up - for those few seconds, his concentration is not on the road. What amazed me more was a bus-driver smoking while driving - we are not supposed to smoke in the bus and here a driver himself is doing it. Not to mention the passive smoking to be suffered by the passengers.
Old 29th June 2011, 13:11   #2343
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
this is a fact of sorts. on my recent trip to Pune i found that HR, TN, RJ, MH and DL registered trucks give way to vehicles trying to overtake and/or at higher speeds. i also noticed that many of them gave way even before they were asked for it. i was really impressed (the so called educated lot in our city can't follow this courtesy)!

seeing this my brother-in-law and myself started keeping a note of which trucks gave way and to our astonishment we found that except for KA registered trucks, ALL trucks gave way to vehicles trying to overtake them! i'm not exaggerating here, this really happened! sad but true

just to illustrate my point - saw these on the BETL this morning:

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-_mg_0571.jpg

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-_mg_0572.jpg

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-_mg_0573.jpg

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-_mg_0574.jpg
Old 29th June 2011, 13:27   #2344
Distinguished - BHPian

@IronH4WK - A common sight all over India.

Saw one really bad driver yesterday evening.
Guess, all might know how private buses are in Cochin. They drive as if they own the road and expect others to give way when they honk.

While coming back from office yesterday, this bus driver was literally driving on the middle of the road doing 10km/hr (a rare sight, buses usually fly here). I honked him and flashed my lights but he still kept the middle of the road. There wasnt any gap for us to overtake. Other cars joined him but he still didnt move. I could see from his rear view mirror that he was making comments and laughing. Somehow I found a gap, overtook the bus and stopped right in front of him which made him stop. Then I just drove off.
Old 29th June 2011, 13:47   #2345
BHPian

@IronH4WK - It is possible that you have seen trucks from the other states behaving in a 'decent' manner mainly because their drivers regularly do inter-state trips. I have seen too that most inter-state truck drivers drive well with lane discipline. But if you see the sand,water and construction material trucks running locally, they are driven by cleaners and inexperienced drivers. They won't 'survive' outside their state limits.
Old 29th June 2011, 14:10   #2346
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
@IronH4WK - It is possible that you have seen trucks from the other states behaving in a 'decent' manner mainly because their drivers regularly do inter-state trips. I have seen too that most inter-state truck drivers drive well with lane discipline. But if you see the sand,water and construction material trucks running locally, they are driven by cleaners and inexperienced drivers. They won't 'survive' outside their state limits.
nah, the trucks i'm referring to are the ones plying between states, hauling cargo.
Old 29th June 2011, 16:22   #2347
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nileshch View Post
It is frustrating to see that people cannot understand this simple rule. 'Educated' owners of big cars do this frequently at this junction!
I totally agree with you.

The problem is that the so called "educated' people are not really educated when it comes to civic sense or even common sense. In India people don't like to co-operate with each other. Every one wants to get ahead by breaking rules, which in turn causes great inconvenience and delays for everyone.

In my opinion the problem can be partially solved by:
  1. Educating people about road safety and driving correctly.
  2. Stricter license tests for learning as well as permanent licenses.
  3. Strict enforcement of rules

Regarding point #1, I think most people don’t realize they are doing anything wrong. These people pose a safety risk for themselves as well as others. Case in point - Most people don’t even know how to take a right turn correctly. In Pune (and I am sure many other Indian cities) I see that most people (more than 70-80%) start turning much before the intersection and they are already on the wrong side at the time of taking the turn. Following graphics should explain what I mean:

Name:  wrongturn.png
Views: 950
Size:  21.4 KB

Name:  correctturn.png
Views: 522
Size:  23.1 KB

As can be seen from above picture, the correct way is to start the indicator as you approach the intersection, stop in your lane and give way to oncoming vehicles, and take a right turn only when it is safe.
MandarMax is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2011, 17:09   #2348
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
@IronH4WK - A common sight all over India.

Saw one really bad driver yesterday evening.
Guess, all might know how private buses are in Cochin. They drive as if they own the road and expect others to give way when they honk.

While coming back from office yesterday, this bus driver was literally driving on the middle of the road doing 10km/hr (a rare sight, buses usually fly here). I honked him and flashed my lights but he still kept the middle of the road. There wasnt any gap for us to overtake. Other cars joined him but he still didnt move. I could see from his rear view mirror that he was making comments and laughing. Somehow I found a gap, overtook the bus and stopped right in front of him which made him stop. Then I just drove off.
I like doing this to private buses. But we need to ensure that they will not chase us down later on
Old 29th June 2011, 17:43   #2349
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselLover View Post
I like doing this to private buses. But we need to ensure that they will not chase us down later on

Actually you need to ensure that the guy stops when you stop in front of him - if he doesn't you're screwed.

While it is certainly annoying, getting "even" after such events is an urge best resisted - you have to indulge in very risky maneuvers to do it in the first place, and there is nothing to be gained.
Old 29th June 2011, 17:55   #2350
BHPian

Quote:
And we also need to ensure that they are not so shameless as to deliberately bump into our rear! All in all, I would avoid doing this!
Old 29th June 2011, 17:56   #2351
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandarMax View Post
... Most people don’t even know how to take a right turn correctly.
Actually a common problem, not just in India!

It is fine to cut corners only when you can totally see that it is fine to cut the corner.

By the way, there is an increasingly high standard of graphics in this thread, and your pictures are really good
Old 29th June 2011, 17:57   #2352
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vina View Post
Actually you need to ensure that the guy stops when you stop in front of him - if he doesn't you're screwed.

While it is certainly annoying, getting "even" after such events is an urge best resisted - you have to indulge in very risky maneuvers to do it in the first place, and there is nothing to be gained.
You are right . Sometimes these guys drive like maniacs with little or no concern to others on the road and we are forced to react. But, as you said, there is a huge risk and they don't mind ramming us or forcing us off the road.
Old 29th June 2011, 18:03   #2353
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandarMax View Post
Case in point - Most people don’t even know how to take a right turn correctly. In Pune (and I am sure many other Indian cities) I see that most people (more than 70-80%) start turning much before the intersection and they are already on the wrong side at the time of taking the turn...
I have had this happen to me so many times in Bangalore, I have given up on tryng to fight with these morons. They are so firm in their belief that they are right.

I once had a bike (turning right cutting the corner) almost hit me head on when I was trying to turn left. I asked him why he was driving on the wrong side, and then he tells me that I need to learn driving, and that he has the right of way on the wrong side of the road!
Old 29th June 2011, 18:17   #2354
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Actually a common problem, not just in India!

It is fine to cut corners only when you can totally see that it is fine to cut the corner.
Well, I think the problem is more severe in India. I have lived in different countries and found that in Australia (especially Victoria) traffic rules are followed more rigorously, followed by North America and then UK. Not been to Italy though, I've heard that things are not very different than India.

Regarding cutting corners, I don't think it's ever fine to cut corners because if a person follows best practices, and drives safely, it becomes kind of second nature and even on empty roads having good visibility, you would not (and should not) break any rules. One of my friends follows rules so strictly that he uses indicators even when turning into his apartment parking lot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
By the way, there is an increasingly high standard of graphics in this thread, and your pictures are really good
Thanks. I used an open source tool called as Dia. It's not difficult to use and can produce good quality graphics.
Old 29th June 2011, 18:26   #2355
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

This happened near my house so knew he wouldnt chase me as my house is a bit inside.

Also, I never ram the brakes suddenly. I do it slowly making sure that he is also stopping. When he slows down, I bring the car to a complete halt.

I know this aint right but these guys deserve this. I'm sure cochin bhpians would agree on this. They are complete ******. What ever happens, they will remain to do the same.

Most Viewed