Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 1st July 2011, 12:47   #2386
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiokidb View Post
This is quite normal here in bangalore as well..i see this happening all the time.
True dude. It's common everywhere. I see this everyday at 3-4 junctions during my daily commute. If I keep clicking pics, this thread will flood. Saw one yesterday. It was a two lane road and I was waiting on the right lane. The left lane is for free left. This guy (mid 40's) was sitting in his Magnum blocking the free left while his wife was buying vegetables. Seeing this an auto driver got out and started shouting at him. He waited patiently for his wife to finish the shopping and then left the scene.

Result - Huge block + handful of irritated drivers
Old 1st July 2011, 13:21   #2387
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
..........So far as the open road is concerned, the "correct" thing is to "straighten out" the curves as much a possible...........
That sounds like you are saying that on a road with curves, you need to stick to a straight line as much as possible. I would say you need to stick to your lane, even if the lane curves with the road.

If I have misunderstood you, sorry and would you please explain what you wanted to say?
Old 1st July 2011, 13:33   #2388
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.A.G.7 View Post
Btw, did you take this pic in Pune?
very much. captured in Hadpsar when i was playing chauffeur!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vina View Post

One question - if I try this and some BHPian sees me doing this, do I run the risk of featuring on this thread?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Yup, you do. So say cheese, and smile for the camera. Atleast we will see you grinning
ROFL!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vina View Post
The guy was frozen the whole way looking at our traffic , at one point I was taking a U turn when a bus came full speed and stopped one foot before him
i'm sure it would have been an awkward situation; having to change his pants and all
Old 1st July 2011, 14:44   #2389
BHPian

Quote:
I have observed that if you suddenly slow down in front of these creatures, their cell phone falls on the ground.
Never tried this myself, just an observation
Hi

May be if you really tried they may also fall to the ground(still having a gibberish on the phone)
Old 1st July 2011, 14:46   #2390
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseldunk View Post
Hi

May be if you really tried they may also fall to the ground(still having a gibberish on the phone)
I don't try this, because
1. Its a bad driving habit to apply brakes for no reason
2. I value my rear bumper very much.

That said, yesterday, such a biker was merrily coasting along, did not notice a pothole.
As he bounced the phone fell on the road.
I did not make any effort to brake for the phone, but still it missed the tires. I guess lucky phone!
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2011, 14:53   #2391
BHPian

Quote:
I don't try this, because
1. Its a bad driving habit to apply brakes for no reason
2. I value my rear bumper very much.

That said, yesterday, such a biker was merrily coasting along, did not notice a pothole.
I did not make any effort to brake for the phone, but still it missed the tires. I guess lucky phone!
Hi tsk1979

Totally agree on the same. It was just that the thought of the same made me

In fact today a cyclist blocked a turn and there were 3 cars and a few bikes honking behind and the cyclist in bliss was on the phone and talking his head off whilst one of the bike guys had to tap him on the back and there was a sheepish grin from the cyclist.
Cheers
Prasad
Old 1st July 2011, 21:06   #2392
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I never thought this thread could be so funny, imagine what look this guy would have had on his face if the phone were not so lucky
Old 2nd July 2011, 16:56   #2393
Senior - BHPian

Time to contribute to the thread

Last night came from Bangalore Airport to Mysore sitting besides a pretty bad driver.

Normally the guys who come to pick me up are very good drivers, they drive reasonably fast (touching 100 on occasions, but mostly doing 80-90) and sitting in the front pasenger seat I feel very safe. For the last three times this new guy has been coming to pick me up - and man he drives slow. I always thought that may be he is extra safe - last night I had scares of my life quite a few times.

First of all, his wipers were shot - on the upswing they made a terrivle noise and splattered water all over, on the downswing they left a fine misty film of water that made visibility poorer than it was with big droplets. We were practically blind anytime a vehicle approached from front - the windscreen would light up like Diwali night.

I first paid attention to the driving itself the moment we were out of Bangalore city. There was a narrow section of road (about 1.5 lanes) and a long truck was going on it. Our man tried to overtake from the left, couldn't so tried again and again. I had to finally tell him to quit trying - I was nervous that if the truck driver is pissed of I'll not see my daughter ever again ! Finally the road widened up, I asked our man to overtake, so he overtakes and guess what, reduces his speed to 50 (on an empty road - this was past midnight and last night is was drizzling all the way from Bangalore to Mysore) - in not time the truck is ahead of us again !

And from this point on the antics just accumulated. On wide empty sections he would slow down to below 70, but whenever rains increased or the raod narrowed he would start cruising between 80-90 (the car made lots of noises - I don't think his engine was allowing him to go faster though it seems he was trying).

At one point our man honked and blinked at a Sumo in front (doing 80+), then somehow passed to Sumo, and then slowed down. In no time Sumo passed us, and now we had a race in our hands (not sure if the Sumo guy was interested in racing a loud-loud Indica which sounded as if breathing its last) ! he passed Sumo twice afterwards and each time couldn't maintain his speed, so Sumo passed again each time. I was doing this . Finally I told him - let's have some tea and furotunately there was a shop nearby (Ramnagaram I think, or Maddur) we didn't see that Sumo again and I had a sigh of relief - I was mistaken, our man later got into a contest with a private Volvo (see below)

The road from Ramnagaram to Mandya has very few speedbrakers outside the main townships (inside the townships it is speedbraker hell) - the road is very good with zero potholes, the rain had almost stopped, and there was no water on the road. So we were cruising. And this is where I got the scare of my life three or four times.

Each time, our man would tail a big vehicle (usually a small truck sized) for some time while the road was wide. And then at the most risky moment he would squeeze into the right lane coming from extreme left, and try to pass and merge into left again. Needless to say sitting on the left each time I went - asked him to let it go twice - I mean the idiot was trying to overtake about 50m before a very visible speedbraker.

A Volvo passed us between Mandya and Srirangapattan - we were doing 60-70, Volvo must have been doing at least 110. Our guy perhaps felt insulted. So here he is chasing (or trying to chase) the Volvo. The Volvo was however out of sight within minutes, but then kept coming in and going out of the sight due to speedbrakers in and after Srirangapattan. And the guys' enthusiasm never waned. Finally we caught up with the Volvo about 1km before Columbia Asia outside Mysore - some passengers must have gotten down - we passed the Volvo and it passed us within a few seconds (it had started by the time we passed).

All in all, with late night driving with drizzle (so empty roads even in Bangalore) it took 4hours, 3 from Kengeri, to reach Mysore - you can't call it fast by any measure. My regular driver does Mysore Bangalore in early mornings in about 3hours without ever doing triple digits.

The man is an old man in his 60s, may be older. He speaks in a soft voice and general demeanor is, what some would say, graceful. Given that he is older than my father I hesitated to tell him how bad he was - I reached home thanked (and tipped) him and then told my in-laws NEVER SEND THIS GUY AGAIN.

Overall a roller-coaster ride (without the speed) - fearing quite a few times that I'm going to end up on the accidents thread.

Last edited by vina : 2nd July 2011 at 17:02.
Old 4th July 2011, 01:12   #2394
BHPian

Need i say something more about these losers? GROSS DISRESPECT towards oncoming traffic and endangering lives
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-img00064201107021338.jpg  

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-img00065201107021339.jpg  

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-img00066201107021339.jpg  

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-img00043201107021230.jpg  

Old 4th July 2011, 12:30   #2395
Senior - BHPian

at least that's one at a time. have you seen a flock of idiots go the wrong way together?

ta da!

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-_mg_0621.jpg

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-_mg_0622.jpg

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-_mg_0623.jpg

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-_mg_0624.jpg

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-_mg_0625.jpg

Name:  _MG_0626.JPG
Views: 512
Size:  117.3 KB

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-_mg_0627.jpg

this is the NGEF bypass this morning!
IronH4WK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2011, 12:42   #2396
BHPian

Anil,

That's the scene there everyday - morning or afternoon, rain or sunshine. Its not just the 2, 3 or 4 wheelers, even BMTCs gun straight at the oncoming traffic.
Old 4th July 2011, 12:48   #2397
BHPian

I am sure you guys are aware that on facebook there is this section by Bangalore Traffic Police (BTP). Off late i have started posting these violation pictures and BTP ensures that action is taken by booking cases against them. However if there is a bunch of idiots then i wonder what action can be taken.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bangal...47207215344994

I read somewhere that the current police commissioner has blasted BTP to stop collection/extortion of fines and instead regulate traffic. I suppose that's the prime job of the traffic police.

Licenses and registrations must be cancelled of frequent violaters, fines will not deter them in any ways

Last edited by sumathindra : 4th July 2011 at 12:50. Reason: edits
Old 4th July 2011, 13:09   #2398
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nileshch View Post
I had an exactly same experience on the Mysore Madikeri road when coming back to Bangalore. A slow driving private bus driver was offended when I honked and flashed (albeit in a nice way) to overtake him. He allowed me half way through and then suddenly cornered me against the divider . I slowed down immediately and calmed down for a few seconds. Then overtook him from the left side at the first opportunity. I too wished I could teach him a lesson in some way. But a few minutes later, was happy didn't do anything silly. A puny Zen against a multi-axle bus would have been a no-contest!!
A similar experience for me; while on hindsight it seems funny, it could have been worse. I usually drive the Jazz, but last Friday we thought it would be convenient to take the Nano into town. On Karve road, a PMT bus driver decided he had enough of waiting behind another bus at the stop. So he steered the bus directly into the right lane (only a 2 lane road at that spot). I was almost near the driver door overtaking the bus and literally stood on my brakes to avoid hitting it.
At some point I forgot I was driving a Nano, so overtook him before the next signal and stopped right in front of him. Looked at him sternly and then went off. After a minute of silence, my wife said its a brave move in a Nano. In hindsight, it is better not to mess with vehicles bigger than the one we are driving. I dont think I am getting to drive the Nano again!
Old 4th July 2011, 13:12   #2399
BHPian

@vina
Quote:
In no time Sumo passed us, and now we had a race in our hands (not sure if the Sumo guy was interested in racing a loud-loud Indica which sounded as if breathing its last) !
That was really a funny way of putting things. I see most 'old' drivers hogging the road without giving way for other drivers who drive in a spirited way. If you are like me (confession: drive as if my tail is on fire) it makes you hyper tensive for no reason.
Old 4th July 2011, 14:17   #2400
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky_Balboa View Post
That's the scene there everyday - morning or afternoon, rain or sunshine. Its not just the 2, 3 or 4 wheelers, even BMTCs gun straight at the oncoming traffic.
hey! looks who's back!

yes this is a everyday thingy. i wasted half an hour in that stretch coz every time the signal went green, these idiots would jump ahead and the people waiting patiently get left behind. so i thought i'll make good of my waiting time

at this rate, i just might end up making a hip-hop video about Bangalore traffic

folks, have a look at this: YOU BE THE JUDGE. its a shame!

Last edited by IronH4WK : 4th July 2011 at 14:21.

Most Viewed