Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th July 2011, 17:53   #2431
BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Here is one of the many things that cause frustration on our roads. See the picture below (guess no explanation is required).

Name:  notusingindicators.png
Views: 734
Size:  32.5 KB
MandarMax is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2011, 18:24   #2432
Distinguished - BHPian

This bloke decides to park right under the no parking sign and block the free left lane.
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-img00677201107051613.jpg  

Old 5th July 2011, 19:37   #2433
BHPian

Nice graphics Mandarmax. Usually the red car wont be so polite to wait!!
Old 5th July 2011, 19:42   #2434
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klub Class View Post
Amit, the Ford Fiesta have black license plates. I used to think that having black license plates is illegal(?)
I thought so too, black license plates are illegal. But in Pune, I have seen many taxis with this type of number plates. Is this a new rule?

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwlele View Post
Check this guy trying to negotiate bumper to bumper traffic while talking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anilisanil View Post
Hey Amit, did you not spot me today morning?
Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwlele View Post
I guess i missed you in the sea of cars.
O.T: You all guys seem to have a lot of fun travelling to and fro Hinjewadi; with all that bad driver spotting! Are your offices located next to each other in Hinjewadi?

If only my office had been in Hinjewadi I could have joined also but I am at the extreme other end at Katraj, Pune Satara road. Not that I am complaining, this area has its own share bad drivers, BRTS and mad truckers. Expect a few videos on this thread soon!!
W.A.G.7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2011, 19:57   #2435

pls take note of drivers in Ambassadors especially the taxi ,will not bother to dim their high beam,check out..
Old 5th July 2011, 21:10   #2436
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.A.G.7 View Post
I thought so too, black license plates are illegal. But in Pune, I have seen many taxis with this type of number plates. Is this a new rule?
W.A.G.7, IIRC, these are rental cars. I remember renting a self-drive a couple of years ago and it had such plates. I was curious and got this explanation from the agency.

What I don't remember is if vehicles with such plates can also be rented with a driver i.e. self drive + chauffeur driven.

Found this information on RTO Pune website - see number 35 (all the way at the bottom).
rtandon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th July 2011, 21:42   #2437
Senior - BHPian

^^^ In Kerala, what I have observed is that Kottayam and Alleppy district are top in drivers not dipping their headlamps. Mind you, Kottayam was the first district in the country to achieve 100% literacy long back.

Last edited by rajeev k : 5th July 2011 at 21:44.
Old 6th July 2011, 06:41   #2438
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.A.G.7 View Post
O.T: You all guys seem to have a lot of fun travelling to and fro Hinjewadi; with all that bad driver spotting! Are your offices located next to each other in Hinjewadi?
We sure have fun enjoying the jams and watching the funny ways of drivers. I can post 1 pic everyday on this thread but it would get repetitive as most of the bad driving cases are of people going from the wrong side of the road to beat the traffic.

Satara Road BRTS is still ok. I had a misfortune of going on the Hadapsar - Solapur route and the BRTS there is confusing to say the least. Anyway this is offtopic and would need a separate thread.
Old 6th July 2011, 09:39   #2439
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aalokg View Post
My friend who was driving literally stood on the horn, and boy did it not make him nervous! We could see his face in his IRVM, it was a sight to see.
No no no. Please avoid it if possible. Remember Bapu at such times or Jesus. Two wrongs dont make a right. God save them, for they dont know what they are doing! You already made your point at the first signal by gesturing. Thats sufficient. Avoid confrontation. Its unnecessary. Maybe note his number down, track his address and send him a note, with flowers! (Munna-bhai style.) Tolerance is the key during this age where everyone's scampering for everything. Dog fight! Bhashan band kar raha hun.

Some of the pictures taken in this thread are taken by drivers (can see from the shadow on the bonets or close right-side A-pillars are seen in the pictures.) So they are as guilty as the offenders they are pointing to i.e you are concentrating on something other than driving which is unsafe on their part even if it is not in the law books. Just to post pictures on this thread please dont do such circus. There is a picture where the bike is in motion just in front-right-side. Holy crap! We love pointing mistakes made by others. Has any one taken time off to stop by, walk down and educate that guy (wherever possible)? To implement them and get it into their system will have to come from them. Not our headache. But atleast let him know one person found that behaviour offending. People, Lets be constructive!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseldunk View Post
Hi Jeev

Generally agreed
some points to note
(1) Is it not possible that the snaps have been taken in stationary mode since the images are not blurred
Whatever!!!
- if its from a hands-free camera/on a view-screen, you are still viewing it for a couple of seconds and then click. Who does the click?
- if you are stationary on a signal you are clicking. Can you talk on your cell phone? No. So, similarly you cannot click.
- some stats on this thread and about 44 pages and a couple of years and there were just 2 snaps. Maybe no provision on t-bhp or people were better then. Just dos and donts of good driving. We should leave it at that. Not saying something like - "look at him. what a moron?".

Quote:
(2) seeing your handle from Chennai (velachery i guess) you definitely seem to have developed a very philosophical outlook hope others too will emulate but the only problem is why not the guy in front of me.
Philosophical. hmm.. Maybe. Indeed the Velachery circle sucks. Add a few drops of rainwater and it cant get worse.

Quote:
(3) Will post some pics later in the day and am sure everyone will like to agree that you cannot be patient over someone who thinks being idiotic is his birthright.

Cheers
Prasad
No more circus snaps please! Its not doing the forum's credibility any good. If you want please take a stroll on weekends to the locality you feel most offenses happen, click and then post. But then your 2 GB card is gonna be full within a few minutes. I bet! We all know it guys.

Ah! And regards clicking, there is a thread which shows accident pictures. 584 pages. (Unless these are taken well after the incident and no one around or in a garage) Goodness gracious me! How can you do that? People are just recovering from a bad shock and wondering what struck them, there are injuries involved, police is trying their best to control traffic and you slow down, pull down your windows and ...

Last edited by GTO : 7th July 2011 at 14:52. Reason: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing back to back posts.
Old 6th July 2011, 10:21   #2440
BHPian

Hi Jeev

Generally agreed
some points to note
(1) Is it not possible that the snaps have been taken in stationary mode since the images are not blurred
(2) seeing your handle from Chennai (velachery i guess) you definitely seem to have developed a very philosophical outlook hope others too will emulate but the only problem is why not the guy in front of me.
(3) Will post some pics later in the day and am sure everyone will like to agree that you cannot be patient over someone who thinks being idiotic is his birthright.

Cheers
Prasad
Old 6th July 2011, 11:12   #2441
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
^^^ In Kerala, what I have observed is that Kottayam and Alleppy district are top in drivers not dipping their headlamps. Mind you, Kottayam was the first district in the country to achieve 100% literacy long back.
Just more evidence that literacy does not translate into education or sensitivity. That has to be a part of building character which unfortunately does not seem to be a priority for anyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeevmenon View Post
Whatever!!!
- if its from a hands-free camera/on a view-screen, you are still viewing it for a couple of seconds and then click. Who does the click?
- if you are stationary on a signal you are clicking. Can you talk on your cell phone? No. So, similarly you cannot click.
I am not defending anyone here, but it is also possible that the pictures have been clicked by the passenger and not the driver.
AFAIK, there is no rule against using a camera or a phone for non voice purposes at signals. I do not see how this impacts anyone else if the vehicle is stationary, do let me know if you think there are any possibilities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeevmenon View Post
Ah! And regards clicking, there is a thread which shows accident pictures. 584 pages. (Unless these are taken well after the incident and no one around or in a garage) Goodness gracious me! How can you do that? People are just recovering from a bad shock and wondering what struck them, there are injuries involved, police is trying their best to control traffic and you slow down, pull down your windows and ...
If you are referring to the Accident pics thread, most if not all of them are reproduced from existing media publications. I dont think this is done with a voyeuristic objective, but more to educate people of the results of rash, negligent and insensitive driving.
selfdrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2011, 12:54   #2442
BHPian

this auto guy was almost run over by the oncoming truck! Total disrespect and lack of discipline.
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-img00070201107041806.jpg  

Last edited by sumathindra : 6th July 2011 at 12:55. Reason: edits
Old 6th July 2011, 13:07   #2443
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumathindra View Post
this auto guy was almost run over by the oncoming truck! Total disrespect and lack of discipline.
Is this a one way? If it isn't then this sort of stuff is common - it was a truck so the auto guy left some space, if it were a car he would be standing in front.
Old 6th July 2011, 13:10   #2444
BHPian

Quote:
Philosophical. hmm.. Maybe. Indeed the Velachery circle sucks. Add a few drops of rainwater and it cant get worse.

No more circus snaps please! Its not doing the forum's credibility any good. If you want please take a stroll on weekends to the locality you feel most offenses happen, click and then post. But then your 2 GB card is gonna be full within a few minutes. I bet! We all know it guys.

Hi Jeev
No offence meant. Do not think that all of us are trying to pin point some one but then we are just trying to let our forum members know what is happening
Secondly whenever and wherever possible (in accidents) help is always given without questions by our T-BHP guys and most of the pics are taken either as reproductions from media print or after reasonable time of the accident occuring.
Case in point there was a accident on ECR(in May 2011) and was travelling by bus and saw a T-BHP sticker car stopping to help the victim and police

Mods: pl help if anything was missed or wrongly stated.

Last edited by GTO : 7th July 2011 at 14:21. Reason: Fixing quote tag
Old 6th July 2011, 13:31   #2445
BHPian

Some random thoughts/questions came to mind

1. What is the reason by which overtaking from right is not right? At least in fourlaned roads in cities, where average speed is less than 30 kmph, practically can there be an issue?

2. Speaking on mobile phones is rightfully banned, because you are half handicapped for driving, as only one hand is available for driving. But talking over a hands free device (while driving) should be permitted. Other wise even acts like talking to your co-passengers, listening to music (to which you are engrossed), viewing hoardings should be banned.

3. The max speed limit I have seen in any high way in India is 100 kmph. So why cant govt bring a legislation to electronically limit all vehicles top speed to 100-110 kmph?

Friends, Please dont jump on me on these. I am not a representative of the hoards of "idiotic" drivers out there. Though I have violated the above stated rules at times, I consider myself (like all of you guys) as a safe and considerate driver, who thinks common sense as my best guiding rule.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks