Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th July 2011, 12:33   #2536
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

This is contagious disease which has caught on like a madhouse afire.
There are many fools on the road who switches on the hazard warning during rains, fogs, in tunnels, while parking, while reversing and what not.
There is couple of threads existing about this menace.
Old 17th July 2011, 12:44   #2537
Senior - BHPian

I agree. The hazard lights are meant for when one is stuck by the road or if the car stalls in the middle. Keeping them on during routine driving is really bad for everyone else and completely useless.

Another example of terrible licensing issues - no proper training or testing.
Old 17th July 2011, 13:51   #2538
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
This joker was one among several I encountered on my monsoon drive to Lavasa who had hazards on just because it was raining and foggy. I wanted to pull him over and yell at him, THAT'S WHAT YOUR FOGLAMPS ARE FOR .

First pic shows hos foggy it was, second one captures his annoying flashing hazards.
Attachment 578077
Attachment 578078

Please avoid this practice guys- its very common on the Mum-Pune e'way as well. Especially in rainy/foggy conditions, it really distracts the driver behind you.
i wish there was a law where you could only buy a car if you understood some basic road sense. When i see people like these, i am 50% amused and 50% shaking my head. Boys and girls, they are called "Hazard" Lights for a reason. You use them when you are in a hazard, not when your vehicle is clearly in motion and under your control.
Old 17th July 2011, 14:28   #2539
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonGekko View Post
i wish there was a law where you could only buy a car if you understood some basic road sense. When i see people like these, i am 50% amused and 50% shaking my head. Boys and girls, they are called "Hazard" Lights for a reason. You use them when you are in a hazard, not when your vehicle is clearly in motion and under your control.

I'm actually more annoyed by vehicles with their high beams on than with their hazard lights on. Hazard light idiots are a distraction and cause a lot of confusion but you can still do something - with high beam it becomes blind driving.
Old 17th July 2011, 19:28   #2540
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
i wish there was a law where you could only buy a car if you understood some basic road sense.
In most countries, that is what the driving test is for! i think a lot more people have to die before India catches up on that one.
Old 17th July 2011, 22:06   #2541
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
This joker was one among several I encountered on my monsoon drive to Lavasa who had hazards on just because it was raining and foggy. I wanted to pull him over and yell at him, THAT'S WHAT YOUR FOGLAMPS ARE FOR .

First pic shows hos foggy it was, second one captures his annoying flashing hazards.
Attachment 578077
Attachment 578078

Please avoid this practice guys- its very common on the Mum-Pune e'way as well. Especially in rainy/foggy conditions, it really distracts the driver behind you.
Quote:
Boys and girls, they are called "Hazard" Lights for a reason. You use them when you are in a hazard, not when your vehicle is clearly in motion and under your control.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep108 View Post
I agree. The hazard lights are meant for when one is stuck by the road or if the car stalls in the middle. Keeping them on during routine driving is really bad for everyone else and completely useless.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
This is contagious disease which has caught on like a madhouse afire.
There are many fools on the road who switches on the hazard warning during rains, fogs, in tunnels, while parking, while reversing and what not.
There is couple of threads existing about this menace.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
Highly irritating, confusing, and a potential hazard in itself. Lets help spread the word and hope to be successful in eliminating this pesky indication.
Drive Safe!
I tend to differ here guys, They are "hazard lights" or more aptly "hazard warning lights".
Its not mandatory that the car should be stationary to switch these on.
Its main purpose is to indicate to other people on the road that there is a potential hazard. Its to indicate to them to be careful.
Somewhere on TBHP somebody has said rightly that a flashing light gets more attention than the still light.
for eg: imagine a rainy/foggy situation, where for some reason, the guy in front of you uses engine-braking and you think the car is moving as earlier and if you hit it.
Isn't getting an additional warning signal better for everybody?

How many times have we not seen accidents in Rain/Fog due to visibility issues?
In "foggy/Rainy/low visibility" conditions, there is absolutely nothing wrong with making your car more visbile to the car behind you.
Agreed, Fog lamps are there for this purpose, but like ABS and Airbags, in our country, Fog lights are not available on all variants of all cars.
So, giving additional warnings is always much better than being rear ended, isn't it?

A wikipedia link on this is available as well (citation needed though)
Automotive lighting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I've also read elsewhere on this forum that police in Kerala actually ask people to use these lights to indicate that they'll go straight at an intersection...Which doesn't make sense IMO
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...rd-lights.html
Old 17th July 2011, 23:22   #2542
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
I tend to differ here guys, They are "hazard lights" or more aptly "hazard warning lights".
Its main purpose is to indicate to other people on the road that there is a potential hazard. Its to indicate to them to be careful.
Somewhere on TBHP somebody has said rightly that a flashing light gets more attention than the still light.
for eg: imagine a rainy/foggy situation, where for some reason, the guy in front of you uses engine-braking and you think the car is moving as earlier and if you hit it.
Isn't getting an additional warning signal better for everybody?

I've also read elsewhere on this forum that police in Kerala actually ask people to use these lights to indicate that they'll go straight at an intersection...Which doesn't make sense IMO
Imagine the situation where every driver, the vehicles going in either direction, those who have parked, those who are reversing on the sides et all switching on the Hazard Warning Lights in the sole aim you have mentioned above, warning every body else, it would be utter chaos.

Some police personnel in Kerala, just like the guys using the hazard warning lamps as mentioned above, insisting for the same is the exception rather than the rule.
I remember hearing through radio mango a high ranking police officer answering to a question to proceed simply straight rather doing things of their own making.

Mods, the entire posts about hazard warning lamps may be moved to the appropriate thread, if found relevant please.

Last edited by rajeev k : 17th July 2011 at 23:25.
Old 18th July 2011, 00:50   #2543
BHPian

Today I had the most irritating experience. I was going towards Powai at night and I just took the exit from the highway. There was massive traffic (at 8pm). A black Audi A6 was tailgating me with all his lights switched off and ORVM's closed. He went on honking on and on. He cut into the left lane and sped up really fast and overtook a tempo and then came in front of me and slammed his brakes. I did too and must have missed his car by an inch or so. Then he opens his window and makes signals to me (as if I did any wrong). I calmly ignored him and proceeded ahead. I saw he was cutting lanes like an auto and honking all the time. By the way, it was also raining heavily and the roads were extremely wet & slippery.
Really shocking how people drive such expensive cars in this manner.
While I was waiting at a signal, a guy driving a scooter turned my left ORVM and started combing his hair using it as a mirror. I lost my cool and started yelling at him for turning my mirror in the wrong way. What do you do to such morons?
Coming back I was taking the left U-turn towards Bandra (just before the Sea-link) and I was turning an Alto came speeding and cut me right off and went ahead of me. He missed me very narrowly!

Another thing I hate is when the taxi/autowalas stick their hand out to give you way, they often leave their hand sticking out so that you can crash into it!! So, even though you have space to go ahead you cannot because their hands are obstructing the path
Old 18th July 2011, 01:25   #2544
Distinguished - BHPian

My 2p on the hazard lights.

If an when you suddenly drive into heavy rain or fog, it is fine to turn them on to warn those behind you. If it took you by surprise, chances are it'll take the guy behind you by surprise too. When everyone has slowed down, there is no need to keep them on.

In Europe, high-intensity fog lamps really are high intensity (and very, very annoying when people use them in clear conditions) but here they are just another red light.

When waiting at a signal for a long time, it is annoying to watch someone's brake lights, or direction indicator --- but I have to confess that it is often some time before it occurs to me to apply the hand brake and turn off that indicator until we start to move again.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 18th July 2011 at 01:26.
Old 18th July 2011, 04:49   #2545
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
When waiting at a signal for a long time, it is annoying to watch someone's brake lights, or direction indicator --- but I have to confess that it is often some time before it occurs to me to apply the hand brake and turn off that indicator until we start to move again.
Yes, the Santro's double brake lights are really a menace, especially during times of drizzle.

Switching on the indicators when the light turn amber is the sure way to do it.
rajeev k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2011, 10:03   #2546
BHPian

Well , I agree that Hazard lights are often used unnecessarily. Even to indicate driver's intention to process straight a a junction(Who ever invented this need to be honored as a confused aathma).
But thick fog can reduce visibility to a large extend and in which case I'm not sure if its such a bad thing to warn the trailing driver.
Old 18th July 2011, 10:48   #2547
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carfreak77 View Post
Today I had the most irritating experience. I was going towards Powai at night and I just took the exit from the highway. There was massive traffic (at 8pm). A black Audi A6 was tailgating me with all his lights switched off and ORVM's closed. He went on honking on and on. He cut into the left lane and sped up really fast and overtook a tempo and then came in front of me and slammed his brakes. I did too and must have missed his car by an inch or so. Then he opens his window and makes signals to me (as if I did any wrong). I calmly ignored him and proceeded ahead. I saw he was cutting lanes like an auto and honking all the time. By the way, it was also raining heavily and the roads were extremely wet & slippery.
Really shocking how people drive such expensive cars in this manner.
While I was waiting at a signal, a guy driving a scooter turned my left ORVM and started combing his hair using it as a mirror. I lost my cool and started yelling at him for turning my mirror in the wrong way. What do you do to such morons?
Coming back I was taking the left U-turn towards Bandra (just before the Sea-link) and I was turning an Alto came speeding and cut me right off and went ahead of me. He missed me very narrowly!

Another thing I hate is when the taxi/autowalas stick their hand out to give you way, they often leave their hand sticking out so that you can crash into it!! So, even though you have space to go ahead you cannot because their hands are obstructing the path
Just wanted to know why you could not have moved to the left lane if he was behind you obviously wanting to overtake. Now i do not know what car you drive but one simple rule i follow on the road is when i see a bigger more powerful car than mine wanting to overtake me, i simple give way. Save a lot of trouble

And as for autos and taxis giving space and indicating for us to overtake is really heartwarming to say the least
Old 18th July 2011, 10:52   #2548
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
Its main purpose is to indicate to other people on the road that there is a potential hazard.
I do not agree at all. Primary purpose of hazard lights is to indicate that there is something wrong with your vehicle. Road conditions are usually evident to every driver. If one does want to warn drivers behind, a couple of taps on the brake pedal are enough to warn the driver (if your brake lights are working) or use the hazard lights briefly. If you are reversing, the reverse light is enough.

Continuous use of hazard lights in rain or other conditions in most countries is illegal and quite so for obvious reasons. UK govt regulations: Lighting requirements (113-116) : Directgov - Travel and transport
Old 18th July 2011, 10:52   #2549
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
Yes, the Santro's double brake lights are really a menace, especially during times of drizzle.

Switching on the indicators when the light turn amber is the sure way to do it.
not keeping the brakes and not having the indicators turned on would be a bigger hazard and irritant in my opinion humble as it is

imagine this scenario:

busy junction at 9 in the morning. once the signal turns green it is for the straight and left lane at the start and only after a minute or so does the signal go green for the right lane.

so here i am proceeding behind a guy/girl in the right lane and he stops at the red signal without any indicators. i assume he is going straight but when the signal goes green he then turns his indicator on and i am left with nowhere to go :(

does that seem like a warranted reason to have the indicators turned on at junctions when you stop i sure hope so
Old 18th July 2011, 12:07   #2550
Distinguished - BHPian

You are right. I hate people who sit in the right-hand lane and turn on their indicator just as you expect them to go straight.

It's all about communication. If turning, we should indicate as we approach the junction, some time before we stop, so that traffic behind can react appropriately, eg chose their lane. Once we are stopped in a queue, then we can apply the brake, turn off the indicator, and relax. Indicate again when the lights change.

Also, if you are the only vehicle stopped at a signal, with traffic approaching from some distance behind, best to keep those brake lights on until traffic is safely stopped behind you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep108 View Post
I do not agree at all. Primary purpose of hazard lights is to indicate that there is something wrong with your vehicle.
To be blunt, the primary purpose of hazard lights is to warn of a hazard. That hazard might be your vehicle, or it might be something else.

From the page of the UK Highway Code in your link:
Quote:
Hazard warning lights. These may be used when your vehicle is stationary, to warn that it is temporarily obstructing traffic. Never use them as an excuse for dangerous or illegal parking. You MUST NOT use hazard warning lights while driving or being towed unless you are on a motorway or unrestricted dual carriageway and you need to warn drivers behind you of a hazard or obstruction ahead. Only use them for long enough to ensure that your warning has been observed.
my bold. Seems consistent with what I posted earlier.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 18th July 2011 at 12:10.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks