Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th July 2011, 20:25   #2566
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mik View Post
Now, we pursued the case with the the transport and they really stumped us.
They said that its our mistake since the tempo traveller is a bigger vehicle and i should have given it right of way.
Otherwise known as "trying it on," "Having a laugh," etc.

Bet they can't show you any such law
Old 18th July 2011, 20:44   #2567
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post

saw this on the ITC flyover. both of them have stopped their bikes in the fast lane (facing opposite direction) and were sitting and talking on the median! as i approached closer they were exchanging hugs and leaving!
Are you sure they were not shooting for the new 5 Star Chocolate Ad - Ramesh/Suresh. Naya 5 star "Sab Kuch Bhula De". In this case they forgot that they were on the flyover.
amitwlele is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2011, 22:18   #2568
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
This joker was one among several I encountered on my monsoon drive to Lavasa who had hazards on just because it was raining and foggy. I wanted to pull him over and yell at him, THAT'S WHAT YOUR FOGLAMPS ARE FOR .

First pic shows hos foggy it was, second one captures his annoying flashing hazards.
Attachment 578077
Attachment 578078

Please avoid this practice guys- its very common on the Mum-Pune e'way as well. Especially in rainy/foggy conditions, it really distracts the driver behind you.
sir, one lame question, does this wagonR has rear fog lamps?
Old 19th July 2011, 05:02   #2569
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaKilo View Post
sir, one lame question, does this wagonR has rear fog lamps?
The wagon R VXi has rear fog as standard. From the two pictures it is not clearwhat variant the car is. The fogs, even if it has fog, is not on.
Old 19th July 2011, 10:54   #2570
Senior - BHPian

Ironh4wk ~ pictures can't lie. But your kidding me right!
that one of those guys hugging really takes the cake.
In the fast lane, on a flyover and near a turn.
STUPID is mild!
Old 19th July 2011, 12:17   #2571
BHPian

Quote:
I have a quick question.
On Friday last week, i was at a U turn just outside my office in Gurgaon Unitech Infospace SEZ.
At the green light, i was on the right most lane and started taking the U turn. ...I am not inclined to believe so since i was in my lane and had moved first to take the turn.
There is no way it could be your fault. For turning right you have the right of way since you are in the rightmost lane. If there are two lanes designated for U turn then too the TT should have been parallel to you during the turn and not come into your path. Sometime the break in the divider is so narrow that only one car can make the u turn. In that case, only the vehicles on the rightmost lane are allowed to make the u turn. In case of bigger vehicles that need to turn, they should be extra careful at such points.
On the whole I think we just need to be more careful on the road. Drivers of TTs and Buses don't own the vehicle. They don't have to bear the expenses of damages to vehicles and thus are a carefree lot.
Old 19th July 2011, 12:34   #2572
BHPian

Quote:
They said that its our mistake since the tempo traveller is a bigger vehicle and i should have given it right of way. I am not inclined to believe so since i was in my lane and had moved first to take the turn.
As far as I know, you are not allowed (don't know if this rule exists in India) to overtake a turning vehicle if it's a larger vehicle like a bus, truck or a trailer, and as you can guess there are good reasons for that. However in your case, it appears like you were the first mover and the larger vehicle was trying to overtake you while you both were taking a U-turn. I think in this case it cannot be your fault.
Old 19th July 2011, 12:47   #2573
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
Ironh4wk ~ pictures can't lie. But your kidding me right!
that one of those guys hugging really takes the cake.
In the fast lane, on a flyover and near a turn.
STUPID is mild!
no, seriously - those guys were sitting on the median and talking and as i was approaching, got up, hugged and in my RVM i saw them leave!
Old 19th July 2011, 13:00   #2574
Senior - BHPian

These days I feel the 2-wheeler riders have begun terrorising the other road dwellers by forcibly cutting across lanes. In fact on my way to office (in the car) I have to panic brake many times to ensure that I do not hit these idiots.

But, when I travel by my bike, I make sure that I do not cause slightest discomfort to others. If however, any moron tries to force his 2-wheeler in my path I fight back I make sure that I do not let him cut lanes & in fact come in my path. On occasions I have to back up because the bugger is the bigger moron to have regard to my or his life, but, at time I too have won mini-battles by the rub of the RVMs.

I can be regarded as bad & stubborn driver when I drive 2-wheeler this way, but, I make sure that I have taught the lesson to a bigger idiot & a poser.
Old 19th July 2011, 14:57   #2575
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandarMax View Post
As far as I know, you are not allowed (don't know if this rule exists in India) to overtake a turning vehicle if it's a larger vehicle like a bus, truck or a trailer, and as you can guess there are good reasons for that...
Sometimes a long vehicle may have to take a right (eg) turn from the middle lane, or even the left lane. One should never overtake a vehicle when it is turning, on the side it is turning (hello bikers?). When you are both stopped, though, I don't think there is anything other than ego and ignorance that gives the large vehicle any right to move first.

Anyway, this was a Tempo. That isn't big enough to be given special consideration!
Old 19th July 2011, 16:46   #2576
BHPian

For some reason Pune has many weird (???) road intersections and it leads to lot of problems. For example, the canal road runs parallel (well almost!) to the Karve road for some distance, and near Karishma society it crosses the G. A. Kulkarni road just before the traffic signal.

Name:  karishmasignalidiotdrivers.png
Views: 1550
Size:  39.6 KB

As the above graphic explains, many idiots (red cars above) just block the road instead of waiting for a clear road. As soon as there is a green signal and a gap opens these dimwits just try to cross the road without thinking, this causes chaos almost everyday. Today at peak hour, when it was raining, there was this big maroon Mercedes S class standing such that it was blocking cars coming from both the directions.

Most of these idiots don't have any traffic sense or the desire to co-operate. Imagine how things would be if people only started waiting a few seconds letting traffic on the main road to pass instead of just barging in.
MandarMax is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th July 2011, 17:02   #2577
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandarMax View Post
For some reason Pune has many weird (???) road intersections and it leads to lot of problems. For example, the canal road runs parallel (well almost!) to the Karve road for some distance, and near Karishma society it crosses the G. A. Kulkarni road just before the traffic signal.
Couldn't agree more. I encounter this almost 2-3 times in a week. The problem is the traffic coming from Karve Road hardly stops so people coming in from the Canal Road always try to push in at the slightest opportunity.

And by the way this post could also be added in the below thread for more Punekar's comments

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ted-rants.html
amitwlele is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2011, 12:05   #2578
BHPian

With respect to my earlier post on this thread, I was thinking how this problem can be solved, and that reminded me of "Keep Clear" markings that I have seen in the UK and Australia. The idea is very simple yet very effective. Unfortunately, for this to work in India, people really need to co-operate and follow simple traffic rules, which I don't see happening for a while.

Anyway, the idea of "Keep Clear" zones is very simple, you have a marking on the road sometimes accompanied by a road sign that reads "Keep Clear". Drivers are supposed to cross the area only of they can cross it without having to occupy the "Keep clear" zone. In other words you are not allowed to stand stationary in the area having "Keep clear" marking. If you've seen my earlier post, see the following graphic about how it can be used at the same intersection:

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-karishmasignalkeepclear.png
Old 20th July 2011, 12:35   #2579
Senior - BHPian

Mandar, good representation there.
The only problem with the "Keep Clear" being enforced is, no one would give a damn. Just last evening, this is exactly what I tried to follow. Result, a melody of honks from those behind!
Those yellow markings on the crossroads are kind of a keep clear sign too. How many people actually follow that?
Old 20th July 2011, 13:08   #2580
BHPian

The picture speaks for itself.

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-img_0206.jpg

Location: In front of Sports Folio, Dadar on the Sena Bhavan-Plaza road.

Aalok

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks