Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th July 2011, 13:41   #2581
Mik
BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Thanks everybody for your responses. As was expected - nothing has materialized. Finally we sent a long and icily worded mail to transport cc ing anybody worth CC ing detailing the accident and the offences the driver committed. Have taken names of the transport manager who blatantly sided with the cab company without verifying anything. Lots of sarcasm too.
They will not accept their mistake, but atleast i have let go of my frustration
Old 20th July 2011, 13:48   #2582
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mik View Post
Thanks everybody for your responses. As was expected - nothing has materialized. Finally we sent a long and icily worded mail to transport cc ing anybody worth CC ing detailing the accident and the offences the driver committed. Have taken names of the transport manager who blatantly sided with the cab company without verifying anything. Lots of sarcasm too.

By transport do you mean the transport department or the transport company that owned the TT? If it is the latter why would they hear you, these are the guys who penalise drivers for running "late" and have policies in place that encourage reckless driving.
Old 20th July 2011, 13:57   #2583
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Arguing with Travel company guys? Beat this- In our company, there are these shift cabs which are supposed to pick up employees. And these hooligans park their vehicles right behind the vehicles which are parked in designated areas, all to save a few ML of Diesel. So god save you if you have to drive out during these times, they just don't remove their cabs!

The other day they parked a punctured vehicle behind my car and were arguing that it was my fault. Now tell us what can be done?
Old 20th July 2011, 14:11   #2584
Mik
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vina View Post
By transport do you mean the transport department or the transport company that owned the TT? If it is the latter why would they hear you, these are the guys who penalise drivers for running "late" and have policies in place that encourage reckless driving.
I mean the transport manager - the company guy. We had banked on him being a sane guy. Unfortunately, he is cahoots with the cab waalahs.
We had a talk with the cab company supervisor too. He was just passing the buck and stalling us.
Old 20th July 2011, 14:22   #2585
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
As was expected - nothing has materialized.
I had a similar experience two years ago, the difference in my case being, a TT hit my car's rear door while taking a left turn(sandwitching me between his vehicle and a very high footpath) rather than your case while taking an U-turn

I took down his vehicel number and noted the company name while he sped away. My friend was working in that company and I was lead to their transport incharge.

He just slipped away saying that the company owning this vehicle will be responsible.
He was good enough to give me the number of a manager in that company (In my case SRS travels).
I asked him to come and settle the damages which he didn't.
He tried do play some tricks by asking my vehicle number...I didn't give because I knew he would go and complain before me.
I threatened to go to the police the next morning to which he said that he doesn't care.
I went to the police station and made the inspector call this guy and suddenly he softened saying that the driver was poor, his salary is less than the repair cost and blah blah...
When I spoke to the police, they told that its not worth if I decide to file a case and also my car would lie in the police station till its settled.

The police gave me an acknowledgement letter for the accident and I got the repairs done fom the insurance company
hemanth.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2011, 14:28   #2586
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
(In my case SRS travels).
Dont mess with SRS travels vehicles, they are the worst in Bangalore. I wonder who owns this travel company.
Old 20th July 2011, 14:34   #2587
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
I took down his vehicel number and noted the company name while he sped away. My friend was working in that company and I was lead to their transport incharge.

He just slipped away saying that the company owning this vehicle will be responsible.
He was good enough to give me the number of a manager in that company (In my case SRS travels).
did this TT have a blue elliptical sticker with two crosses (one big, one small) within it?
Old 20th July 2011, 14:50   #2588
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Dont mess with SRS travels vehicles, they are the worst in Bangalore. I wonder who owns this travel company.
I'm doing the same thing (being careful) after that incident.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
did this TT have a blue elliptical sticker with two crosses (one big, one small) within it?
I don't remember anything of that sort. the company name was writen in big visible letters all around the cab.
Ok one ironical thing which happened a week after this, was that I attended a job interview in the same company.
Things didn't work out in my favour even in this case
Old 20th July 2011, 15:34   #2589
Senior - BHPian

long back (5yrs+) after a long day work, i was heading to Brigade road to grab some num num when i saw a speeding cab on the OA road near the Command Hospital. chased it and found it was our own company cab (owned by S.R.S Travels). next day i reported the incident to the transport helpdesk and the dummy came back saying there was no such cab running in that area at the given time. that's when i figured the transport helpdesk was hand in glove with the travel company. i dropped it as it would have been a waste of my time.

in another incident when i reported a rashly driven company cab (guess the travel company) the fellow and half comes back to me saying he's spoken to the employees in the cab at the time of incident and they denied that the cab was being driven rashly!

great! i stopped reporting!
Old 20th July 2011, 15:44   #2590
Team-BHP Support

IronH4WK. I was once in my company cab, which was being driven fast.

It was on a slightly open stretch of road but this road is also notorious for accidents.
I asked the driver to slow down. Another employee sitting in the front seat goes, whhhhaaaaaaaaaat maaaaaan, its speed. Its thrilling.

Yeah right. A cab, with no seat belts in the rear seats. Filled up with people. Hurtling down at high speed. I can live without this thrill.

Luckily the driver behaved himself afterwards and did not go fast till I was dropped off at home.
bblost is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2011, 17:02   #2591
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
long back (5yrs+) after a long day work, i was heading to Brigade road to grab some num num...

...incident and they denied that the cab was being driven rashly!

great! i stopped reporting!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
IronH4WK. I was once in my company cab,...

...afterwards and did not go fast till I was dropped off at home.
This reminds me of an incident that had happened years ago. I was 18 or probably even younger.

I was walking on the road where I stay (5th Main) and kept to the extreme left side of the road knowing very well that pedestrians are a bane to people behind the wheels of cars and other vehicles on that particular stretch of road.

As I was walking, I heard, from a distance, something very loud and huge hurtling down the road. I took a few more steps to my left, stopped and turned around to see what was coming. It happened to be a Sumo with a yellow board and the driver just didn't seem to want to slow down, let alone come to a halt. An rickshaw coming from the opposite side had to literally take a left turn to avoid getting hit.

And then the inevitable happened. He came so close to me that his ORVM hit the back of my arm/shoulder and I yelled 'aye' pretty loudly. The guy seemed pretty ticked off when I did that, because he came to a grinding halt, engaged reverse and pulled up next to me. He shouted at me in Kannada and asked me to mind my own business when I'd told him that he had no business driving the way he did in a residential area.

He nearly got out of his car, but at that point I just walked off.

I've understood, over the years, that it is not worth wasting your time, effort and energy to straighten such people out. They will continue doing such things and believe that they're completely right. Such people cannot be changed.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 20th July 2011 at 17:28.
suhaas307 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2011, 17:24   #2592
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
This reminds me of an incident that had happened years ago. I was 18 or probably even younger.
Man that really ticked me off. Though i understand that dealing with such folks is extremely difficult and they are so fixed in their mind. That they don't even think they are doing something wrong.
Imagine someone with a weak back or shoulder. Some serious damage could entail.
mdsaab is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2011, 21:01   #2593
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Very similar to one incident I faced. It was in 2006.
I wsa walking on one of the small bylanes of Basaveshwarnagar with a friend of mine.
The footpaths were encroached by the shops with their items and we were forced to walk on the road.
I didn't see or hear anything like you, but suddenly felt like somebody had pushed me from behind.
I almost fell down but somehow regained my balance and turned around to see an omni stop by braking hard. He had hit me!!!
Before I realised how lucky I was, and before I yelled out, the driver apologised he literally thanked god by folding his hands.

I somehow couldn't believe my luck and learnt to be more careful about bad drivers not only while driving but also while walking.

When I think about it now, The mistakes on my side were....a) Though I was forced to do so, I was walking on the road and b) I was walking on the left side (wrong side) of the road.
hemanth.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2011, 11:44   #2594
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandarMax View Post
With respect to my earlier post on this thread, I was thinking how this problem can be solved, and that reminded me of "Keep Clear" markings that I have seen in the UK and Australia. The idea is very simple yet very effective. Unfortunately, for this to work in India, people really need to co-operate and follow simple traffic rules, which I don't see happening for a while.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
Mandar, good representation there.
The only problem with the "Keep Clear" being enforced is, no one would give a damn. Just last evening, this is exactly what I tried to follow. Result, a melody of honks from those behind!
Those yellow markings on the crossroads are kind of a keep clear sign too. How many people actually follow that?
I agree Swanand & Mandar max, this will never work in India. I have the same problem of multiple honking and stares if I dare to allow a vehicle or pedestrian to cross the road while driving.
The only solution that could work here is to put a divider all the way across GA Kulkarni road. Vehicles using the canal road will then have to go further down the road, take a U turn and then return to use the canal road. This will also take car of the numerous U turns on this road at the Pizza hut side. Not ideal if one is using the canal road, but sense isnt common these days.
Old 22nd July 2011, 12:52   #2595
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand
The mistakes on my side were....a) Though I was forced to do so, I was walking on the road
The Chennai police seems to have finally woken up to the fact that majority of the fatalities in accidents are pedestrians and the main reason for this is because they are forced to walk on the road (due to encroachers taking up the footpath). Last few days they were removing encroachments from some roads in the city. Anyway better late than never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand
b) I was walking on the left side (wrong side) of the road.
If the road has a footpath (elevated), you are not wrong in walking on the left side of the road. In the absence of a footpath (like in most of India), you need to walk on the right side facing traffic so that evasive action can be taken, if required.

BTW, yesterday I am approaching a traffic circle (this is the one just before Officer's training academy from the new Velachery-GST road) wanting to take a left. The Santro in front of me (some 10ms in front) suddenly comes to a halt straddling the mid-lane/left -lane. Though I am driving at low speed, this comes as a surprise and am irritated - then I think maybe some issue with his car. Take the left slowly and as I pass him I see he is looking at his phone, then looks at the buildings on the right, then back at phone - must be confirming the location of some shop he wants to visit.

After passing him, I look in the RVM and he is still stopped there, oblivious to the whole world and ignoring all the vehicles passing him by. Real stupid behaviour on the road.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks