Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th August 2011, 07:38   #2656
Senior - BHPian

World friendship Day picture

These two bikers were riding in parallel during night like synchronized and creating confusion all along to oncoming vehicles as well as those following them. They were riding like this for more than a KM. This has been the habit of many these days and is fast catching up as a way of life for bikers in rural Kerala. Seen so many during day time also. Oncoming drivers would get an impression that it is a four wheeler. In earlier days cyclists used to do this and those idiots have graduated to bikes and singing the same tune. If lucky, we may soon see cars driven like this by those who have post graduated.

Picture taken on World Friendship day and sure friendship is fine, but idiots doesn't know that they themselves are at risk other than putting other lives in jeopardy.
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-parallel.jpg  

Last edited by rajeev k : 4th August 2011 at 08:00. Reason: spelling check and correction
Old 4th August 2011, 10:06   #2657
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Back on-topic, Thad is right: you hit another car from behind, it's your fault. UNLESS that person was moving backward. I have had a situation when a guy on a slope in front of me came backwards and gently knocked into my bumper. Then he gets out of the car and starts shouting at me . I told him dude, you were in neutral and this is a slope. He had the grace to look embarassed and mumble an apology. This happened a long time ago.
If you ever get rear ended, there are no questions asked by insurance.
you always have to describe the accident in a few lines in a form.
but then after that the insurance guy is supposed to call you.
and confirm the same etc.
but when you are rear ended and they check it out, they do not even bother to call. atleast that's how it happened with me.

I have seen such silly folks too, it's their mistake and yet they try to put the fault on others. In you case atleast the guy was gracious enough.
Old 4th August 2011, 13:39   #2658
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Thanks for clearing that up

A few days ago, I was driving in the fast lane when this yellow-plate Indica in the slow lane slowed down. I instinctively braked and no sooner I had than the door opened- WIDE- and the driver pops his head out and unloads a gob of red stuff on the road. Disgusting.
My wife smiled appreciatively at me for slowing down in time- she is a big fan of my driving instincts- and then looked at me and asked, "He's willing to get his head knocked off just to SPIT?"
I've never laughed so hard in my life. Honestly- how stupid do you have to be to endanger yourself and others like that?

Don't bet on it. Inconsiderate boors they may be but nobody beats desi drivers in ingenuity.
"He's willing to get his head knocked off just to SPIT?". A good one.

My wife smiled appreciatively at me for slowing down in time- she is a big fan of my driving instincts
Old 4th August 2011, 22:38   #2659
Senior - BHPian

In our lane at seven bunglows where I stay there is a building where almost half of doctors staff of Kokilaben Ambani Hospital are staying.

These supposed to be EDUCATED doctors park their motorcycles on this lane in a such bad manners that other car owners who want to park their cars are not able to do so.
Today when I wanted to park my car there was this doctors m/cycle parked in such a way that it was occupying a car's space, I got out and moved the m/cycle when this joker who was watching the fun of me not able to park my car came and told me not to touch the bike.
I felt like giving a tight one on his face.There was a verbal exchange with each other and I told him that we are in fact going to lodge a police complain regarding this.
Actually they are all small towns,villages residents who are employed by this hospital.
Old 4th August 2011, 23:05   #2660
Distinguished - BHPian

Bad Pedestrians

Northern end of OMR. Three lanes each way, and despite a nominal 40Kph limit, 60-plus is usual. There is a service road, mostly very quiet.

Why, oh why do pedestrians walk on the main carriageway?

Well, I suppose it's their lives!
Old 4th August 2011, 23:52   #2661
BHPian

Have a habit of parking in the no-parking zone? This is what the mayor of Vilnius, Lithuania did to teach the guy a lesson

Last edited by prateekm : 5th August 2011 at 00:00.
Old 5th August 2011, 02:03   #2662
Distinguished - BHPian

Well, it was admitted to being a staged stunt. I'm sure out experts will be able to put an age to the Merc (?). Not very young, I don't think!

Still, it is a neat idea.
Old 5th August 2011, 22:35   #2663
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
I couldn't post this yesterday, I was busy at office.

Yesterday, I was coming to my office in EC.
It was around 07:45 when I saw that there was a block on the BETL.
After 3 minutes of slow moving traffic, I expected some accident.
But what I saw was a group of "I"s (supposedly intelligent) from the company, the big "I"

One of their company buses had stalled on the right lane of the BETL where the left lane meant for busses/2wheelers and right lane for cars.
Even if that is forgivable, What they did after that is the main part here.
Their company bus from an other route, which came behind this was stopped and the empty seats were filled.
By the time I passed, half of the people got onto the other bus, and the remaining people were waiting for another vehicle.

"Fair enough" you might say..."Why am I posting it here" you might think...

The actual thing is, the other bus was stopped on the left lane, effectively blocking the whole road and the whole traffic was made to stop till the people got onto the other bus.

Now what do I call this group of "I"s??? Intelligent???
Not done..specially if the I you mention is the I, I am a part of..though in Mumbai
Old 6th August 2011, 00:12   #2664
Senior - BHPian

Here are a few from my side:

1. Self-explanatory:
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-photo0030.jpg

2. A common sight near my home. Notice that the signal is still red.
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-photo0064_1.jpg

3. Ikon guy is very happy to stop the car and chat to his friends (you can see him shaking hands with one). But his car is blocking half of the left "lane".
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-photo0068.jpg

4. The best of all. Look at the way he has parked the car, and what's better: he has blocked the entrance to a hotel's parking lot (marked with the black arrow). Later I found that a red Ritz was blocking the exit as well.
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-photo0067_1.jpg
Old 6th August 2011, 00:25   #2665
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
=StarrySky;2458287]Here are a few from my side:
3. Ikon guy is very happy to stop the car and chat to his friends (you can see him shaking hands with one). But his car is blocking half of the left "lane".
Attachment 588793
Which is that town, I know that place but could not recollect.

Last edited by rajeev k : 6th August 2011 at 00:28.
Old 6th August 2011, 00:29   #2666
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
Which is that town, I know that place but could not recollect.
This is right next to Paramount hotel, Kakkanad (Padamugal to be precise).

The first pic was taken near the Passport office.
The second one is Collectorate Jn, Kakkanad.
The last pic is again Padamugal, exactly opposite Paramount hotel (and he is blocking the entry to the hotel's parking lot).

Last edited by StarrySky : 6th August 2011 at 00:33.
StarrySky is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2011, 14:50   #2667
BHPian

Hi All Fellow Team Members,

I am posted in New Delhi since February' 2011. This is my second stint here, the previous one was from 2006 to 2008. Well, the traffic/road/driving conditions in this part of the country is very appalling.

You will find total disregard to the safety of other road users. Most of the drivers are arrogant and rash. It's truly a miracle if one can find a car without dent/scratch. Nothing surprises you here. It would be apt to start a new thread titled "Good drivers - How do you spot'em". Good drivers are so rare here.

You are not supposed to be surprised/feel angry to find 5 or sometimes 6 lanes of traffic on a 2 lane road. If you do, then you are either old or not smart enough to drive in India. It is completely a normal and every-day activity to find a guy/girl who is in the left-most lane to cut across all the other lanes, to make a U turn from the right-most lane.

You shall not be surprised to find a Tavera or an Innova backing off on a spiral flyover just because that that driver had decided to take the next exit. You will witness this everyday on the Modi Mill Flyover in Okhla. Imagine a newcomer's nasty surprise who is negotiating a sharp left turn on this flyover (to go to New Friends Colony or Ashram) to suddenly find a SUV backing off towards him at great speed. I was caught unawares more than once, now i am immune to that.

Neither shall you be horrified to find a car cut across suddenly/dangerously into your lane either from the right side or from the left side. Please don't curse that driver. It's not his fault. What can he do if both the ORVMs are folded and his window panes are dark with sun control films ?

And there are many cars/cabs plying on the road without functional brake lights and turn indicators.

One good news, though! Almost all the drivers can be seen talking/texting on the phone while driving. As i have not seen even a single incident where such drivers are booked by the traffic cops, i safely assume that it is legal here, in Delhi.

Now, tell me, isn't it good time to start a new thread to find bad drivers?
Capitalson is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2011, 20:16   #2668
BHPian

In Mumbai you need to have different mindset while driving based on which part of the city you are driving.

For Instance, in case you are driving in town then you need to keep track of lanes, rules etc. as some cop is waiting just around the corner to catch you for lane cutting. Otherwise there are cabbie's to watch our for who owns the right lane driving right at speeds of 40kmph.

In case you are driving in suburbs then you need to watch for the auto-rickshaws who can turn left, right, U-Turn or just stop with complete disregard to who is along side.

In case of driving in New Mumbai then beware of guys coming from opposite direction bike riders without helmets, guys on cell-phones. Guys driving on right lane of palm beach road at 60kmph without giving side to others!!

I just wonder this fascination of guys to drive slow on the fast lane and not allowing others to pass through. I think the driving instructors in the school advice new learners to stick to right lane, so others can drive around them( Saw many learners driving that way). So wrong driving is getting instilled into the new drivers with no regard to safety or awareness of the road rules.

Last but not the least all the MSRSTC buses from MH-12, MH-20 or NMMC or KDMC etc will stick to right lane come what may and not allow you to pass, worse still they will cut so close that will force you to back out or get your car scratched or dented.

God Bless us, poor minority souls who try to stick to rules and try to follow them!!

Last edited by mkpiyengar : 7th August 2011 at 20:21.
mkpiyengar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th August 2011, 22:26   #2669
Senior - BHPian

This biker was hell bent on overtaking the tipper and was traveling for a couple of KMs precariously, and had many close shaves with oncoming vehicles. If you thought that he became wiser and went to the left, you are wrong. He switched sides with the intention of overtaking through the left but in vain.failed several times.
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-bad-biker-.jpg  

Last edited by rajeev k : 7th August 2011 at 22:34.
Old 8th August 2011, 21:30   #2670
Senior - BHPian

Today, when I returned to office after lunch, I had a hard time finding a parking space. At the only one I could find, I had a hard time squeezing my car in without going outside the designated parking slot boundary and still leaving enough space for me to open the door - all because of this white Ritz:
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-img2011080800020_1.jpg

Then I decided to have a look around and found these two cars:
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-img2011080800021_1.jpg

Couldn't decide which was worse - the M800 guys' parking above or the i10 guy's parking in the pic below:
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-img2011080800018_1.jpg

The Wagon-R guy is outside the parking slot as well - but I guess he had no choice.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks