Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th October 2011, 17:58   #2911
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
^^^Any pillion seated with both legs on same side (like ladies & elderly mostly do) is anyway compromising the balance of the bike, making it tough for the rider. Not much that a baby adds to that dis-balance.
But who cares sir. We have seen zillions of 2 wheeler's with ladies/elderly people sitting one sided for years now. We also see guys riding like they are on a test track with ladies sitting on sided. I wonder what would be going on on the minds of the ladies/elderly people when this circus is happening.

When I was younger, a regular 2 wheeler rider out of compulsion than choice - we didn't have a car then - i remember taking my mom out on my bike, i used to grab the handles so hard that my palms used to hurt. and my mom used to clutch my collar bone as though it was a handle!
Old 6th October 2011, 10:32   #2912
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
Confession Time:

...accidently my car's front left tyre was on the right foot of a biker.

Had there been any unruly villager or an migrant worker (sorry but instead of categorizing people on basis of their state/ religion), he would had damaged my car or picked off a fight.
I doubt if you had actually run your front tire over his foot. A car can weigh anywhere from 750 kg to about 2 ton and ignoring other factors to simplify the calculation, one wheel would be impinging about 200 kg on his foot - enough weight to break his bone.

You were really lucky he let you go without creating much of a scene.
Prowler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2011, 22:06   #2913
Senior - BHPian

It was an eventful day:

1. I was going to office near old airport road in the morning and a biker riding without helmet in front of me spat pan/guthka onto the road which also got splattered on my entire bonnet and windscreen. I overtook that guy and signalled him to stop and showed him my car which was decorated with his pan. The guy gave a casual look and said that "these things are common in India (!!!) and I have to adjust with such things (?!)". These words made me lose my cool and gave him a bottle of water and asked him to clean with his shirt. He refused to do so. By then a small group had gathered and everyone were on my side. Finally we forced him to remove his shirt and made him clean my car and hence I got a free windscreen and bonnet wash.

2. The second event happened between sarjapur road and chandapura in the evening. I overtook a bike which was ridden by a man (without hemet) and his 7-8 old year son sitting in front of him between the petrol tank. I was driving at around 60kmph and the biker around 50 kmph. I was watching them on the RVM when the man got a call on his mobile. He said something to his son and received the call, lo and behold, the kid took over the control of the bike with a wide grin on his face. The kid increased the speed and came very close to my car and was tailing for around half a kilometer with a gap less than a feet. It was so close to my car that in the RVM, it was appearing as though the kid is sitting on the rear seat of my car. Then I saw the man signalling the kid to overtake my car and all of a sudden he increased the throttle and almost hit my ORVM during the stupid overtaking technique. Then the father patted his son's back for the great overtaking and took over the control of the bike as he disconnected the call. I decided to give them an earful but they took another road after some distance.
Old 7th October 2011, 12:21   #2914
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyfrmblr View Post
It was an eventful day:

1. I was going to office near old airport road in the morning and a biker riding without helmet in front of me spat pan/guthka onto the road which also got splattered on my entire bonnet and windscreen. I overtook that guy and signalled him to stop and showed him my car which was decorated with his pan. The guy gave a casual look and said that "these things are common in India (!!!) and I have to adjust with such things (?!)". These words made me lose my cool and gave him a bottle of water and asked him to clean with his shirt. He refused to do so. By then a small group had gathered and everyone were on my side. Finally we forced him to remove his shirt and made him clean my car and hence I got a free windscreen and bonnet wash..
This was a good lesson, thankfully this menace is less in Mumbai, back in Kanpur / Delhi /Gurgaon the vehicles were routinely decorated.
Old 7th October 2011, 22:43   #2915
Senior - BHPian

Saw this biker today morning. He was riding with a boy precariously perched and clinging on to his father. The bike is loaded also. The guy was traveling for more than 15KM.
A bad driver, sorry, dangerous one too
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-dangerous1.jpg  

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-dangerous2.jpg  

Old 7th October 2011, 23:25   #2916
Mik
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
I doubt if you had actually run your front tire over his foot. A car can weigh anywhere from 750 kg to about 2 ton and ignoring other factors to simplify the calculation, one wheel would be impinging about 200 kg on his foot - enough weight to break his bone.

You were really lucky he let you go without creating much of a scene.
I have had a Maruti Zen run over my foot at a slow speed in Gurgaon. It is painful but i doubt that it can break a bone.I really did feel like breaking the cars windshield with my helmet at that time.
Regarding classification of original poster about villagers/migrant workers, absolutely shameful. By that classification, all the locals in Delhi are a peace loving lot who will never pick a fight... Nah!!
Old 7th October 2011, 23:35   #2917
Team-BHP Support

if you are in your lane and a biker encroaches your personal space and gets his foot run over, I do not think its your fault. Bikers have to learn that its not their dharma to insert themselves in every nanometer they find vacant.
At red lights I often see bikers who squeeze in and then park their feet right in front of the front tire.
If I start off, the safari will actually crush the foot of the driver. I do not have x-ray vision, and every time I do not start off, I am doing them a favor.
tsk1979 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th October 2011, 13:42   #2918
BHPian

Some drivers badly lean on the driver side door i.e seated slightly in an angled fashion.. its almost like if you suddenly open the door, they will fall. I have seen this mostly among taxi drivers in Kolkata. They feel they have an extra edge with the viewing angle. They are mostly rough drivers with little or no-tolerance for others.

My father always told me to keep away from these over-smart creatures, I am yet to find an exception.
Old 8th October 2011, 15:47   #2919
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dip27in View Post
Some drivers badly lean on the driver side door i.e seated slightly in an angled fashion.. its almost like if you suddenly open the door, they will fall. I have seen this mostly among taxi drivers in Kolkata.
I thought the practice can be dated to the time when they could take 3 more passengers in the Amby's front seat. Oh yeah even the shuttle auto drivers also sit that way, taking 2 real/imaginary passengers on his left.
Old 9th October 2011, 08:01   #2920
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dip27in View Post
Some drivers badly lean on the driver side door i.e seated slightly in an angled fashion.. its almost like if you suddenly open the door, they will fall. I have seen this mostly among taxi drivers in Kolkata. They feel they have an extra edge with the viewing angle. They are mostly rough drivers with little or no-tolerance for others.
This is an habit developed from the position of the steering in an Amby before the collapsible steering column was introduced in it. The steering column in old Amby's were slanted towards right and the drivers found some comfort in the manner they sit. This coupled with the bench seat developed that as a habit. In fact this sitting position distinguished an owner and a driver in those old days.
Old 9th October 2011, 08:16   #2921
BHPian

Its really disappointing and surprising how some people believe education makes them better drivers. I wonder where in their degree are they taught how to drive the right way. I live in that part of the country where its very difficult to spot an "uneducated folk" but there are lots of bad drivers. Most with Doctor, Lawyer and CA stickers on them. Heck, most RTC drivers/conductors are degree/master degree holders but they are no better than others.

Its awareness and implementation of road laws/rules coupled with a personal attitude to follow them that makes people good drivers. If some "unfortunate uneducated folk" did not have the opportunity to groom properly, please do not belittle them cos of their ignorance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mik View Post
Mr Cardeep. Road sense doesn't require a degree, it just needs some common sense.
Well said, totally agree.

Last edited by GTO : 10th October 2011 at 13:50. Reason: Quoted post being deleted
Old 9th October 2011, 15:24   #2922
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mik View Post
Road sense doesn't require a degree, it just needs some common sense.
Common sense is needed, yes, but more vital is education.

education in driving! Brain surgeons and physicists still need to learn to drive.

The big mistake is to assume that it is easy and anyone can do it.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th October 2011, 16:58   #2923
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Common sense is needed, yes, but more vital is education.

education in driving! Brain surgeons and physicists still need to learn to drive.

The big mistake is to assume that it is easy and anyone can do it.
You are right. The bent of mind even amongst the most well educated to follow rules and basic rules at it is very much absent. If one drives through IIT main gate, one can observe any numbers of IIT students crossing the road with mobile attached to their ears not giving much heed to the honking or traffic on two sides of the road.
Education does not bring on its own accord the discipline to follow the basic rules and courtesy towards other human beings. Very difficult to change the mindset of today's youngsters and their attachment to their phone.
Old 10th October 2011, 02:15   #2924
BHPian

Bad rider, or good stunt-man? I leave it for you guys to decide. Notice how he crosses an intersection leaving his, as well as others' lives in danger!

Sorry for fiddling with the mobile phone in between.

Old 10th October 2011, 04:01   #2925
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manjot1912
Bad rider, or good stunt-man? I leave it for you guys to decide. Notice how he crosses an intersection leaving his, as well as others' lives in danger!

Sorry for fiddling with the mobile phone in between.

idiot - YouTube
Still cannot believe my eyes.
Where was this happening ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks