Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2011, 20:20   #2956
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

About "correcting these idiots" I just got back home after a really tough day and was turning into my parking. Now since the approach road is rather narrow I have to take a wide turn which is compounded by the fact that there are cars parked all the way up to the turn and most of them park like 2 feet away from the wall.

Anyway I was mostly through my turn when I see this biker head towards me (he actually speeded up) and try to squeeze in between my car and the non-existent gap on my right (and his left). Normally I would have just ignored it, waited till he backed off or backed off myself but I was just in no mood to take any crap. My window was rolled down so I asked him aggressively, why can't you wait for a damn second? You just HAVE to go first, right? (sounds stronger in Hindi!)

To my amusement he started yelling back at me. Didn't wait to hear what he said, since I was mostly through my turn anyway and my lil girl was with me. I just hope he doesn't scratch my door or something- mine is the only Vento in the complex and kinda stands out!

Thanks Tanveer for reminding me that I too can be a "good" driver

But felt good anyway
Old 14th October 2011, 22:05   #2957
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
In UK, you will not only be fined, you will loose your licence for at least a year, may never be able to afford the insurance again anyway and even risk going to prison.

That's driving law taken seriously.
This must be implemented in India straight away.

Most of us now probably have our DLs in smart-card form. What should the cops do about it? If the driver is caught drunk while driving, they must cut up and mince the card right in front of him, and ban him from taking another driver's-test for a certain period of time. Also, they must slap a huge fine and produce him before a magistrate the very next day.

Unfortunately, the well connected will get another DL made.
Old 14th October 2011, 22:22   #2958
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ You're kidding right? I have a '93 Versova (MH02) RTO issued card license- a rare one for that era. Recently I got caught by a cop in Aurangabad of all places and he accused me of carrying a fake license

He retracted his statement when I got angry but the point is: the myriad local authorities that have and continue to issue DLs in this country are hard-pressed to even agree on a common template- do you seriously think they would bother collating and centralising their database?

Hypothetically if I lose my MH02 license tomorrow (still has a couple of years on it left) I could just waltz into Pune RTO, show them my perfect documents and take a test, which I'd pass with flying colours (can even drive on the wrong side of the road for them, since that seems to be a pre-requisite for driving in this city!) I will have a license, probably with the exact same name and nobody would be the wiser.

By the way a significant proportion of the driving population (including some of my well-heeled "corporate" acquaintances) drive around with no valid driving license. It's not a deterrent at all. Just be careful not to break any signals which accounts for most of the "crimes" our traffic cops are capable of spotting.

Sorry if I sound cynical but it's true.
noopster is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th October 2011, 22:28   #2959
Team-BHP Support

^^ Have to admit it, it's true.

It's rather sad. The system itself is flawed. And trying to correct it now is going to be really hard. issuing licences itself should be made difficult. The tests must be made more stringent. i remember when i took my DL test 4 years ago, a very smart looking cop accompanied 3 of us. Two guys I'd be meeting for the first, and the last time, were taking the test along with me.

This cop was very strict. He simply failed them straight away, when he asked them to parallel park. They couldn't, of course, and stalled several times. I didn't. Although I didn't park that well. He wasn't completely convinced so he asked me to drive around the block, and made me park a few times around the area. And finally passed me!
Old 14th October 2011, 22:30   #2960
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Seeing the bus bearing down, the Ritz and Swift on my right squeeze me in. Since I have no intention of holding up the traffic more, I oblige, going onto the bad patch on extreme left of the road so that these idiots can get back in lane.
I can see a 'L' board on the Ritz. He is trying these stupid antics even before getting a DL. Imagine his driving style once he gets the proper control of the car. (or maybe this guy has got a DL and someone else is learning in his car)

Last edited by guyfrmblr : 14th October 2011 at 22:32.
Old 15th October 2011, 01:01   #2961
BHPian

suhaas 307
hi
really surprised that somebody flunked the driving test
Nowadays when you go through a school they hardly ask you to drive forget parking or reverseing.
My daughter has a valid drivers license and reversing is pathetic.she doesnt know which side to turn the steering.
rgds

noopster
hi
driving without a valid licence should be a strict no no.
forget breaking a signal or a minor thing.
Serious problems would arise in case of an accident as the insurance co will not be liable.If a pedestrian or somebody got hurt it would be a big mess.
rgds

Last edited by GTO : 17th October 2011 at 15:57. Reason: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another!
Old 15th October 2011, 03:21   #2962
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
^^ Have to admit it, it's true.

It's rather sad. The system itself is flawed. And trying to correct it now is going to be really hard. issuing licences itself should be made difficult. The tests must be made more stringent. i remember when i took my DL test 4 years ago, a very smart looking cop accompanied 3 of us. Two guys I'd be meeting for the first, and the last time, were taking the test along with me.

This cop was very strict. He simply failed them straight away, when he asked them to parallel park. They couldn't, of course, and stalled several times. I didn't. Although I didn't park that well. He wasn't completely convinced so he asked me to drive around the block, and made me park a few times around the area. And finally passed me!
that sounds more like a real test as compared to the '8' i was told to make in 2000 when i passed my test in pune
jassi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2011, 09:08   #2963
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
Confession Time:

I drive through narrow roads with heavy traffic while on my way to office. Today morning, at one of he intersections, I tried reaching ahead of the pack (in my lane only), & accidently my car's front left tyre was on the right foot of a biker. I did not realised till he turned around & gave me angry look, & asked me to back off. He then told me angrily that I had stepped on his foot, for which I immediately apologised & offered to help. The gentleman acknowledged my apology & turned back without saying any more words & drove away when the signal turned green.

Had there been any unruly villager or an migrant worker (sorry but instead of categorizing people on basis of their state/ religion), he would had damaged my car or picked off a fight.

What do you expect? Maybe he was a nice guy. If I was the biker and I had left enough space, it would have been another story.
Old 15th October 2011, 10:52   #2964
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
What do you expect? Maybe he was a nice guy. If I was the biker and I had left enough space, it would have been another story.
After all the criticism for being a bad driver instead of a bad day, I decided to get some photo evidence of the conditions when the accident happened. Probably it will satisfy your queries. I will soon post these on the forum.

These pictures can be worth thousand words (arguments).
Old 15th October 2011, 15:16   #2965
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
This has already been discussed threadbare with arguments and counter arguments and the posts have been deleted by the moderators as it was not going anywhere. So i guess there is no point discussing it again. I think you must have not seen the earlier posts on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
After all the criticism for being a bad driver instead of a bad day, I decided to get some photo evidence of the conditions when the accident happened. Probably it will satisfy your queries. I will soon post these on the forum.

These pictures can be worth thousand words (arguments).
@cardeep - i don't think there is any justification needed. You have posted your thoughts and the incident and i think we should leave it at that.

Just my 2 paise to avoid reopening of the old discussion.
amitwlele is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2011, 01:39   #2966
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwlele View Post
This has already been discussed threadbare with arguments and counter arguments and the posts have been deleted by the moderators as it was not going anywhere. So i guess there is no point discussing it again. I think you must have not seen the earlier posts on this.

@cardeep - i don't think there is any justification needed. You have posted your thoughts and the incident and i think we should leave it at that.

Just my 2 paise to avoid reopening of the old discussion.
I drive a truck and a bike to office. I was just saying that our dude he was lucky of not being careful! Imagine me driving a SUV over someone leg and expecting no verbal abuse ?

My truck took two hits in the last two months; in both cases I let the biker/driver go free (I didnt even abuse him). I just asked him to be careful while driving. Hope they learn and live to tell about it.
Old 16th October 2011, 18:15   #2967
Senior - BHPian

Came across this bad driver today. he was dialing, talking over mobile; in fact he was making several calls. Not bothered about the surroundings. Take a look.
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-rider-mobile1.jpgBad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-rider-mobile2.jpg
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-rider-mobile3.jpgBad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-rider-mobile4.jpg
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-rider-mobile5.jpg

Last edited by rajeev k : 16th October 2011 at 18:42.
rajeev k is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th October 2011, 15:08   #2968
Senior - BHPian

this morning when i parked my car and was walking to my office i saw a Indigo coming up very fast, at least 70-80kmph, into the parking lot. there were people walking towards the office after parking their cars and had to quickly move to the sides when this idiot came speeding! i tell my friend who is with me i gotta talk to this guy! i walk up to the area where he's parking and wait for him to finish parking his rocket ship. once he locks the car and starts walking i approach him and tell him to drive slow. he looks startled and went defensive saying he was driving slow! i asked him you call that driving slow?; he said yeah, i might have been at 70kmph!

meanwhile, other people who had to jump to the sides are staring at this guy and he understands he can't talk his way through. i again reiterate my point - drive slow in a parking lot; this is not a race track. he nods his head in agreement and i leave it at that.

how can people just do something like that!? someone could have been hurt!
IronH4WK is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th October 2011, 15:27   #2969
BHPian

1.5 crore Porsche crashes onto a Childrens park near India gate.

Another drunken driving. Thank god! it was night and there were no children around.

When will we learn?

Rs 1.5-crore Porsche crashes near India Gate
Old 17th October 2011, 16:00   #2970
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK
this morning when i parked my car and was walking to my office i saw a Indigo coming up very fast, at least 70-80kmph, into the parking lot. there were people walking towards the office after parking their cars and had to quickly move to the sides when this idiot came speeding! i tell my friend who is with me i gotta talk to this guy! i walk up to the area where he's parking and wait for him to finish parking his rocket ship. once he locks the car and starts walking i approach him and tell him to drive slow. he looks startled and went defensive saying he was driving slow! i asked him you call that driving slow?; he said yeah, i might have been at 70kmph!

meanwhile, other people who had to jump to the sides are staring at this guy and he understands he can't talk his way through. i again reiterate my point - drive slow in a parking lot; this is not a race track. he nods his head in agreement and i leave it at that.

how can people just do something like that!? someone could have been hurt!
This is the race driver's car!

Name:  ForumRunner_20111017_155858.png
Views: 1043
Size:  354.3 KB

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks