Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st October 2011, 18:55   #3001
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumathindra View Post
The Jeep appears to be a government vehicle and is above the law! Clearly blatant disrespect for the law
Its a Government vehicle. F and G registration numbers are reserved for Government vehicles. I see all BMTC buses with F registration number. These guys never care about the rules and always create nuisance for other road users. Only a handful of them observe traffic rules.

They are clearly above the law. Checkout this incident. My friend was waiting at a signal behind a BMTC bus. He could not see the signal as it was blocked by the bus in front of him. The bus started moving and my friend followed him thinking that the signal had turned green. But he was invited by the traffic police after the signal for jumping red. Actually the bus had jumped the signal and my friend followed it. The police caught my friend but din't catch the BMTC bus. This clearly explains that they are way above the law.
Old 31st October 2011, 20:54   #3002
Distinguished - BHPian

Torture to the wallet when he finds out and gets it fixed! It is easy not to notice a flat rear tire, though. Somebody was kind enough, a few months back, to let me know that that was what I was doing.
Old 31st October 2011, 21:19   #3003
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViMo View Post
Have you ever seen someone torturing a car?
Came across this moron yesterday night. He was driving a new Wagon R with fumes coming from it's wheels . Front right wheel already given away and he was riding on his rim leaving shreds of rubber on the road.

I came to his side and tried telling him about his hot wheels but he just stared at me, took the next turn and drove away.
Sounds like a case of forgotten hand brake? However, the front wheels do not get smoked by handbrake! So, was he trying to do some nice burnouts?
Old 31st October 2011, 21:56   #3004
BHPian

They have a 'L' sign even though you can easily make out the vehicle is atleast 2 years old.

(Looking at the condition or the registration)
Old 31st October 2011, 22:22   #3005
Distinguished - BHPian

Today I spotted a bad driver in Banashankari 2nd stage

He was riding a Bajaj Chetak Scooter.
He was not wearing a helmet, no indications while turning.

But the biggest Irony was the stepney had a cover on which something was written in big letters...when I put the high beam to see, I saw this.
"I PLEDGE TO ADHERE TO TRAFFIC RULES"
It was just put on by tyre clinic as an advertisement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Suraj View Post
They have a 'L' sign even though you can easily make out the vehicle is atleast 2 years old.

(Looking at the condition or the registration)
Sorry I don't get you...How can a old vehicle with L board be a sign of a bad driver?
I can state atleast two reasons when an old vehicle can have a L sign without the driver being a bad one.

1. I have seen many people who buy a second hand car as their first car thinking that even if they bang it somewhere, It doesn't hurt much (both emotionally and financially)
These guys having L board on a Pre-owned car can't be termed as bad drivers

2. A person might have bought a new car and say after 2 years his spouse is learning to drive.
So you can't call a learner with L board on a 2 year old car as a bad driver

Please explain if I'm missing something...

Last edited by hemanth.anand : 31st October 2011 at 22:27.
hemanth.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2011, 22:27   #3006
Senior - BHPian

Speaking about bad drivers. Here is a little different kind. So i was maintaining a little distance from the vehicle ahead. One which would be very normal if driving abroad. Or to be more specific one which we should be maintaining here in India too.
When the wise guy behind thinks i am maintaining too much of a gap from the vehicle ahead and starts honking and then flashing his lights.
After which i let his pass.
I guess maintaining the correct distance is blocking up traffic too. Very sad indeed.
mdsaab is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2011, 23:26   #3007
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
Today I spotted a bad driver in Banashankari 2nd stage

He was riding a Bajaj Chetak Scooter.
He was not wearing a helmet, no indications while turning.

But the biggest Irony was the stepney had a cover on which something was written in big letters...when I put the high beam to see, I saw this.
"I PLEDGE TO ADHERE TO TRAFFIC RULES"
It was just put on by tyre clinic as an advertisement.

Sorry I don't get you...How can a old vehicle with L board be a sign of a bad driver?
I can state atleast two reasons when an old vehicle can have a L sign without the driver being a bad one.

1. I have seen many people who buy a second hand car as their first car thinking that even if they bang it somewhere, It doesn't hurt much (both emotionally and financially)
These guys having L board on a Pre-owned car can't be termed as bad drivers

2. A person might have bought a new car and say after 2 years his spouse is learning to drive.
So you can't call a learner with L board on a 2 year old car as a bad driver

Please explain if I'm missing something...

While both your points are bang on & perfectly valid ...

It is my mistake that I posted it in a bit of haste - I should have elaborated a little.

It was just an instant thought - hence posted it.

What I meant was - the sign of the 'L' - be it the electrical tape or genuine strips - is QUITE faded or torn in contrast.
& thus you can make out - that even the SIGN has been there for quite sometime.

So either - the person has YET not learnt. Or not bothered to take it down.
Both of which are - reasonable signs - which increase the probability of that person being a bad driver.
(quite akin to how you judge a driver based on how well maintained the car is)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
Speaking about bad drivers. Here is a little different kind. So i was maintaining a little distance from the vehicle ahead. One which would be very normal if driving abroad. Or to be more specific one which we should be maintaining here in India too.
When the wise guy behind thinks i am maintaining too much of a gap from the vehicle ahead and starts honking and then flashing his lights.
After which i let his pass.
I guess maintaining the correct distance is blocking up traffic too. Very sad indeed.
The definition of 'Safe Distance' is a relative term.

What happens in choc-a-block traffic in Mumbai is -

When a decent person such as yourself leaves a gap (safe distance) - the other 'bad drivers' keep trying to squeeze in - thus suddenly making everyone brake, or altering the speed of that lane.

Hence they guy behind you is probably telling you to NOT leave a gap.

Also some drivers tend to judge the gap through YOUR windscreen - so they see a lot of gap & thus when You brake - they were not expecting you to brake whilst leaving such a gap - throwing their 'judgement' off.

This is seen especially at major traffic signals & near Toll Plazas - where keeping a 'gap' is a crime.

& thus also - the post (elsewhere in this forum) of low end torque of small cars.

Most irritating in such scenarios are the old ramshackled Fiat Padmini Taxis.

But still - I congratulate you for your sensible & safe driving.

Last edited by .anshuman : 1st November 2011 at 10:02. Reason: Back to Back post within 30mins, Please use Multi-quote button when quoting more than one post. Thanks
Dr.Suraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2011, 02:02   #3008
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The definition of 'Safe Distance' is a relative term.
No it is not Doc. A "Safe distance" has been very well defined. Its a "2 second rule" that you must follow. Basically, you take a fixed point on the road (a sign board, marking etc) for reference and you must ideally cross that reference / fixed point 2 seconds after the vehicle in front has crossed it.

Wikipedia has a wonderful idea :

"One can count the duration of time simply by saying "one... two..." but for greater accuracy, it is suggested that drivers say "only a fool breaks the two-second rule". At a normal speaking rate, this sentence takes approximately two seconds to say, and serves as a reminder to the driver of the importance of the rule itself."

Link - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two-second_rule
Urban_Nomad is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st November 2011, 02:18   #3009
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
No it is not Doc. A "Safe distance" has been very well defined. Its a "2 second rule" that you must follow. Basically, you take a fixed point on the road (a sign board, marking etc) for reference and you must ideally cross that reference / fixed point 2 seconds after the vehicle in front has crossed it.

"One can count the duration of time simply by saying "one... two..." but for greater accuracy, it is suggested that drivers say "only a fool breaks the two-second rule". At a normal speaking rate, this sentence takes approximately two seconds to say, and serves as a reminder to the driver of the importance of the rule itself."

FANTASTIC !!! AWESOME!

Thank you so much!

Amazing definition.

Wow. Superb. I shall remember this for a long time to come & shall definitely quote this quite frequently.

Mr. Urban Nomad - Hats off to you !
Old 1st November 2011, 08:24   #3010
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post

I rather really liked the 2 sec rule on UK Motorways. They have chevrons painted on the tarmac. So, there should be a gap of 2 chevrons (pls correct me if I'm wrong), between the 2 cars. If, as a driver, you cant see 2 chevrons, then you need to slow down. Very simple and very effective. However, with the condition of our roads, I guess they can do this only on Buddh Circuit
Old 1st November 2011, 10:39   #3011
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqualeo2040 View Post
Sounds like a case of forgotten hand brake? However, the front wheels do not get smoked by handbrake! So, was he trying to do some nice burnouts?
He had smoke coming from all his wheels. Initially I too thought of forgotten handbrake. Need an expert to answer this.
Old 1st November 2011, 10:56   #3012
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I rather really liked the 2 sec rule on UK Motorways. They have chevrons painted on the tarmac. So, there should be a gap of 2 chevrons (pls correct me if I'm wrong), between the 2 cars. If, as a driver, you cant see 2 chevrons, then you need to slow down. Very simple and very effective. However, with the condition of our roads, I guess they can do this only on Buddh Circuit
In Thailand I saw dots painted on the highway lanes.
As a driver you should be able to see 2 dots between the car in front of you and your own car.
I wish to see any of these systems implemented on our roads someday
but seeing the number of Bad drivers in our country, how many would actually follow it, is the biggest concern
Old 1st November 2011, 11:16   #3013
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
FANTASTIC !!! AWESOME!

Thank you so much!

Amazing definition.

Wow. Superb. I shall remember this for a long time to come & shall definitely quote this quite frequently.

Mr. Urban Nomad - Hats off to you !
Quote:
The 2-second rule is a great tool.

But one must remember, the rule must be applied differently, and according to the condition of the road and the weather too. You ought to maintain a greater distance between your car and the car ahead of you if it's raining or if the road is wet, or both. Cars grip the road surface much better when the road is dry, but when it's wet, it doesn't grip as much, and will require more area to brake and come to a halt. Also, rain hampers driver's visibility, thus affecting reaction time.

Here is a little table that I've drawn for myself and I'd like to share it with the others.

City :: Dry :: 2 Second Rule (+1 @ Night)

City :: Wet :: 4 Second Rule (+1 @ Night)

Highway :: Dry :: 5 Second Rule (+2 @ Night)

Highway :: Wet :: 7 Second Rule (+2 @ Night)

Last edited by suhaas307 : 1st November 2011 at 11:20.
suhaas307 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st November 2011, 11:51   #3014
Distinguished - BHPian

You have two seconds in which to take a life or death decision and then act on it.

As an extreme, it might be enough. As a routine ... it's crazy!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2011, 12:14   #3015
Senior - BHPian

It surprises me no end when the car/bike in front does not indicate his/her intention to take a turn. I can understand that the old hand-signalling method takes some effort on the driver's part, but how much effort is it to turn on the side-indicators, instead of surprising the guy behind ? More surprising when it is a new car which obviously has the indicator working. Mostly seen with bikes, but I do see cars also doing this. Always feel like stopping and asking them what is it that they hate so much about turning on the indicator...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks