Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 8th November 2011, 21:31   #3076
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyfrmblr View Post
This is a case of both bad driver and bad passengers.
In fact, this sort of thing, even more than the overloaded truck a few posts back, makes me really depressed about India: that the driver and the passengers can be so stupid. Very sad.
Old 9th November 2011, 01:20   #3077
BHPian

Another breed of bad drivers are those morons in cars that you encounter are traffic signals. Say you are stopped at the right side lane and want to take a right turn when light turns green. These morons are usually in the car stopped next to yours on your left side. When the signal turns green, they accelerate and cut into your lane/path. When will such morons will understand that at least for the turn they should try to stick to their lane?
Old 9th November 2011, 14:17   #3078
Senior - BHPian

On a lighter note: 9 Bad Drivers Nobody Complains About | Cracked.com

Cheers,
Vikram
Old 9th November 2011, 14:34   #3079
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post

Cheers,
Vikram
How true, Thanks for sharing Vikram.
I qualify for #5 (merge like a zipper) in that list, when waiting to get into service-road at Marathahalli junction; coming from ISRO.
Old 9th November 2011, 14:37   #3080
Distinguished - BHPian

Saw an absolutely bad driver and terrible human being in action this morning on the way to work.

On Hinjewadi main road, the guy had parked his motorcycle in the rightmost (fast) lane just adjacent to the divider and gone across the road to fetch something from a shop. That in itself is bad enough, but this dude had left his 6 or 7-year old daughter sitting on the pillion seat (bike was on main stand) while he as performing his errand.

Something like this:
Name:  bad driver2.png
Views: 1352
Size:  14.8 KB

I thought of getting a pic but thought that might freak the poor kid out so just said a small prayer for her and went on.
noopster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2011, 14:38   #3081
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post

Cheers,
Vikram
This not really a lighter note. It actually highlights the bad drivers we miss. They cause huge queues at traffic lights, wasting fuel of hundreds of hours. For example, there is a traffic light at a busy road near my house. Lot of idiots are so slow when light turns green, that instead of 10 cars crossing just 5 can cross, and as a result you have a cascading jam stretching to previous red light.
Old 9th November 2011, 14:52   #3082
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
This not really a lighter note.
The lighter note comment was due to the fact that the article is written in an amusing way, although the message it conveys is not amusing and is quite serious [which I am aware of].

Thanks.

Cheers,
Vikram
Old 9th November 2011, 15:51   #3083
BHPian

yesterday late evening I had to go to DVG road, in one of the many intersections there are I saw a skoda waiting at one of the intersections with some traffic piled behind it. My first thought was the driver must be slowing down due to the traffic, when I made way near it, I was horror struck with what i saw! The lady next to the driver was purchasing some roadside cloths sitting in the car By the time I approached the driver to give him some peace of mind other motorists started hurling abuses at them. How absurd can they get?

Last edited by sumathindra : 9th November 2011 at 15:51. Reason: edits
Old 9th November 2011, 16:20   #3084
Senior - BHPian

@noops, excellent one, have seen similar scenes with slight variations here in Bangy.

On a different note we have drivers who honk madly when they are behind a kid on bicycle going through narrow lanes and the kids doing his best, sometimes folks forget to show some compassion.
Old 10th November 2011, 16:00   #3085
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vtecguy7166 View Post
quickly stick your neck backwards and check as some vehicle might be in the blind spot of the RVM particularly when changing lanes.

"Sticking your neck backwards while changing lanes????" Tell that to a fellow European or an American and he'll give up driving.

Sticking neck while at a crossing or roundabout is fine (when you are standstill), but please explain how do you practice this turning head backwards while changing lanes on d road. The Lord God has given you three mirrors.

Last edited by Jaggu : 11th November 2011 at 15:39. Reason: Dotty posts, please use proper punctuation and avoid typing like this.... Thanks.
Old 10th November 2011, 16:13   #3086
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by haldar_siliguri View Post
Tell that to a fellow European or an American and he'll give up driving....

Sticking neck while at a crossing or roundabout is fine (when you are standstill).... but please explain how do you practice this turning head backwards while changing lanes on d road. The Lord God has given you three mirrors...
Really? You sure? I thought that was one agreed method to check the blind spots. In fact in a thread about getting Swedish license, I particularly read this on how to check the blind spot.
Old 10th November 2011, 16:23   #3087
BHPian

That is Sticking you neck or leaning outwards to check the blind spot, which obviously is fine, but I was arguing about sticking head "BACKWARDS" why would you do that while changing lanes on lets say the highway, or a busy intersection.

Last edited by Jaggu : 11th November 2011 at 15:39. Reason: Dotty posts, please use proper punctuation and avoid typing like this.... Thanks.
Old 10th November 2011, 18:00   #3088
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by haldar_siliguri
The Lord God has given you three mirrors...
True, but the 3 mirrors still do not eliminate all blindspots and hence the need to ensure yourself that you are not missing any. This is recommended driving practice in most countries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haldar_siliguri
"Sticking your neck backwards while changing lanes????" Tell that to a fellow European or an American and he'll give up driving....
On a trip to Atlanta, we were driven around by a Belgian colleague who is resident in India and he used to move diagonally across 5-lanes or so in one go with neck backwards to check for vehicles from behind. Scary. Ofcourse he forgot all the good driving drilled into him in Belgium, after spending many years in India.
Old 11th November 2011, 14:25   #3089
BHPian

Awesome write-up but you missed the 2wheelers, especially the pizza guys. The 2wheelers are the only creatures who find a way where there is complete block. I hate it when they try to move forward by going in middle of 2 cars, knowing it might damage the cars.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff: SMS Language are STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. Please type in full and proper English for the benefit of other community members.

We advise you to read the Announcements and Board Rules section before proceeding any further.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 11th November 2011 at 16:40. Reason: SMS language
Old 14th November 2011, 20:56   #3090
Senior - BHPian

This video is

anekho is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed