Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th November 2011, 00:16   #3106
BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
I would term the worst drivers and use the most obscene and dirty words at those who shout at me / abuse me for stopping at a red light or following traffic rules. There are plenty of examples in Chennai.
IMO its not a time to abuse the 'worst driver' at least here in Delhi/NCR. Many cases are reported every month when 2 drivers get in a small quarrel and the other one shoots another.You never know who is carrying a gun.

Infact last year a doctor was beaten to death by a few youngsters with hockey sticks because he honked twice and wanted side to overtake.

I don't want to say that we should be scared but losing life for such a small thing is no good.
Old 16th November 2011, 00:29   #3107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anekho View Post
This video is
If you talk to the moron, he will probably tell you he wasn't driving dangerously at all. Why? Because he had his hazard lights on - so it's upto the the others on the road to be careful.
Old 16th November 2011, 01:11   #3108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anekho View Post
This video is
Proves ONLY one thing. We are a bunch of IDIOTS....and will always be.

If you listened to the conversation, the bike guy is congratulating the driver saying "Super Anna....". WHAT??

Aren't there any cops in Chennai....or was it a holiday for them?
Why is that NOBODY tried to stop him / call the cops?

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Post edited. Kindly avoid quoting video's as it affects readability on hand held devices. Thanks !

Last edited by n_aditya : 2nd December 2011 at 15:21.
Old 16th November 2011, 12:28   #3109
Senior - BHPian

some folks just don't get it! this guy is driving slowly on the right most lane and blocking traffic behind him.
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-_mg_2942.jpg

not only is this guy trying a dangerous overtaking maneuver, but to avoid the big pothole, he's going to extreme right - into the path of the oncoming traffic!
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-_mg_2949.jpg

idiots like these make driving in Bangalore a nightmare thereby resulting in premature graying of hair and balding!
IronH4WK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2011, 14:36   #3110
Senior - BHPian

^^^ Agree with the 1st pic. We find many such bikers in Chennai.

But in the 2nd pic, while he is indeed wrong in getting onto opposite lane, can he be fully blamed ? Look at that crater on the road. I would hate to drive my car over it. If the crater were not there, I doubt he would do what he is doing. I believe quite some bad driving would be avoided if we had good roads, clear visible road-signs, good enforcement etc.

Talking of road-signs, did guys in Chennai notice the neat signboards put up on Kotturpuram road ? Almost like in the west. I almost fainted when I saw one that read "Break in median" with a pictorial description.
supremeBaleno is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2011, 14:51   #3111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
But in the 2nd pic, while he is indeed wrong in getting onto opposite lane, can he be fully blamed ? Look at that crater on the road. I would hate to drive my car over it. If the crater were not there, I doubt he would do what he is doing.
I disagree here. In case the driver spotted the crater late the sane thing would be for him to try and merge back in the lane and attempt overtaking further down the road. I dont think the crater or road quality justifies him moving to the extreme right of the road.
Unless its a one way street; in which case the oncoming car driver should not be there at all!
Old 16th November 2011, 15:31   #3112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Look at that crater on the road. I would hate to drive my car over it. If the crater were not there, I doubt he would do what he is doing.
You are right, but in a different sort of way.
If the crater were not there, the Innova in front of that guy would not have given him enough room to overtake.
The Dzire fellow just got too optimistic here. And made a bad judgment.
Also notice one of his brake lights is not working.
Old 16th November 2011, 15:49   #3113
Distinguished - BHPian

The bad judgement, maybe, was that he couldn't just stay in the left lane, going at the speed of the traffic, but had to try and get past it. This insistence on seeing the car in front as an irritating obstruction, even if there are a hundred more in front of that one, is indeed, very bad driving. By the looks of the spacing of the oncoming traffic, he probably never had a legitimate overtake opportunity.
Quote:
Agree with the 1st pic. We find many such bikers in Chennai.
Have I got this completely wrong? The biker is on the left, where he should be if he is not overtaking. Isn't the mini-truck the offender in this pic?

Yes, bikers do it too ... but these minitrucks dring slowly in the right-hand lane are a regular feature of otherwise fast roads. Maybe they want to be truck drivers when they grow up!
Old 16th November 2011, 16:18   #3114
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
^^^ Agree with the 1st pic. We find many such bikers in Chennai.

But in the 2nd pic, while he is indeed wrong in getting onto opposite lane, can he be fully blamed ? Look at that crater on the road. I would hate to drive my car over it. If the crater were not there, I doubt he would do what he is doing. I believe quite some bad driving would be avoided if we had good roads, clear visible road-signs, good enforcement etc.

Talking of road-signs, did guys in Chennai notice the neat signboards put up on Kotturpuram road ? Almost like in the west. I almost fainted when I saw one that read "Break in median" with a pictorial description.
Accidents can be avoided by having good roads...but bad driving is independent of the infrastructure
If that guy has made a wrong overtaking move by not seeing the crater, it doesn't justify as the reason to move to the wrong lane.
Its like making a mistake to cover an earlier one.
He has to either merge back into the lane and if not possible(like in this case), he should go slowly inside the crater(there is just enough space for the 3rd vehicle)
He has made a wrong move and if anybody has to suffer, its only him(take the car inside the pothole and bear the consequenses).
He should not make others suffer for his mistake. Unfortunately people don't understand this in our country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post

Have I got this completely wrong? The biker is on the left, where he should be if he is not overtaking. Isn't the mini-truck the offender in this pic?

Yes, bikers do it too ... but these minitrucks dring slowly in the right-hand lane are a regular feature of otherwise fast roads. Maybe they want to be truck drivers when they grow up!
IronH4wk has taken this from his rear view mirror which is misleading...right or left, he is on the median side (faster lane).
Driving slow on the fast road is a sign of a bad driver.

@IRONH4WK, this is near the BETL entry if i'm right.
Sometimes, other bad drivers force such 2-wheelers to come to the fast lane.
If you have seen, many times at the silk-board side entry of BETL, there is just one lane or half a lane free for people to enter the BETL.
During these times, 2-wheelers have to squeeze in (while actually there should be 2 full lanes left free for BETL entry).
I don't know how was the traffic while taking this photo, but thats the only reason that can save this 2-wheeler from being termed as a bad driver
Old 16th November 2011, 16:19   #3115
BHPian

Well, on the first pic the serious offender i notice is the pedestrian waiting there to sneak a run and cross the road. This is quite a common thing on the OMR. i face this everyday during office commute.

I remember a month back there was a road roko in Saidapet by pedestrians seeking official permission to cut the road and not climb the foot over bridge . This can happen only here.
Old 16th November 2011, 16:20   #3116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive
I disagree here. In case the driver spotted the crater late the sane thing would be for him to try and merge back in the lane and attempt overtaking further down the road. I dont think the crater or road quality justifies him moving to the extreme right of the road.
See, if you see it "late", it means you just drive over it - no other choice there. My point is there is no justifying a crater on a road meant for driving. His action due to the presence of that comes later - the crater is the 1st thing to be blamed. Does someone driving in the US/EU expect such a crater to pop up suddenly on the road ? Would they even be capable of handling it properly, if they suddenly come across one ?

To get a better idea of how the road is important & how the crater is an issue here, imagine yourself on a bike. You are on your lane and suddenly you find a huge crater in your path. If you jump in it, there is no saying how you will come out. If you avoid it, you could be hit by a vehicle in the adjoining lane. So you are damned if you do, damned if you dont. Is the biker to blame here or the road ?

We definitely need to avoid bad driving, but blaming drivers for what people in most countries take for granted is stretching it a bit too much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom
The pic is taken off the IRVM and of traffic behind IronHawk. The biker is on the fast lane riding slowly like so many of them do on the IT Corridor in Chennai.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand
he should go slowly inside the crater(there is just enough space for the 3rd vehicle) He should not make others suffer for his mistake. Unfortunately people don't understand this in our country.
With cars being driven B2B in our cities, try slowing down to take the crater carefully and you will find a crater on the rear of your car. I dont think that is even an option in a scenario of fast-moving traffic.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 16th November 2011 at 16:36.
Old 16th November 2011, 16:21   #3117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I think its a picture of the RVM. You are not familiar with IronH4WK's work?
Old 16th November 2011, 17:07   #3118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand
@IRONH4WK, this is near the BETL entry if i'm right.
Sometimes, other bad drivers force such 2-wheelers to come to the fast lane.
If you have seen, many times at the silk-board side entry of BETL, there is just one lane or half a lane free for people to enter the BETL.
During these times, 2-wheelers have to squeeze in (while actually there should be 2 full lanes left free for BETL entry).
I don't know how was the traffic while taking this photo, but thats the only reason that can save this 2-wheeler from being termed as a bad driver
As I was coming down the BETL this Activa guy joined the Hosur road from below and then started inching towards the fast lane; directly on front of me. He wouldn't budge from front of me even after two short blasts of the horn. I had to overtake him from the left to get ahead because he was slowing me down to 30kmph!

After I passed, it was that BMTC's turn
IronH4WK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2011, 17:49   #3119
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
IronH4wk has taken this from his rear view mirror which is misleading...right or left, he is on the median side (faster lane).
Driving slow on the fast road is a sign of a bad driver.
Just call me dyslexic. or hey ...just stupid! I looked and looked, and failed to make it out

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind84 View Post
Well, on the first pic the serious offender i notice is the pedestrian waiting there to sneak a run and cross the road. This is quite a common thing on the OMR. i face this everyday during office commute.
And Why-oh-why-oh-why do they wander along the left hand lane, sometimes two or three abreast, even when there is the service road there?

Old 16th November 2011, 18:02   #3120
BHPian

Quote:
And Why-oh-why-oh-why do they wander along the left hand lane, sometimes two or three abreast, even when there is the service road there?

ha ha ha , i like this comment.sailing on the same boat. At times i feel these people do not have a clue of where to look when they cross. they would crossing against the on coming traffic but would be looking at the wrong side .

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks