Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd November 2011, 15:17   #3136
BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Did you know that most KL and TN lorry drivers think that turning on the right indicator is an indication for whoever is behind them to overtake !!!! I was caught out a couple of times when the slow (really slow) lorry ahead of me was blinking its right indicator for some time. Only after 2-3 similar instances did I understand that it meant - "you can overtake me".
Old 23rd November 2011, 15:50   #3137
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutts View Post
Did you know that most KL and TN lorry drivers think that turning on the right indicator is an indication for whoever is behind them to overtake !!!! I was caught out a couple of times when the slow (really slow) lorry ahead of me was blinking its right indicator for some time. Only after 2-3 similar instances did I understand that it meant - "you can overtake me".
when the vehicle behind you requests a overtake, the vehicle in front uses the indicator to indicate to the vehicle behind that he can go ahead; but this is used only during the overtaking maneuver. this is very helpful during night driving. however, we can find many heavy vehicles (including buses) running with the indicators blinking by default.
Old 23rd November 2011, 16:43   #3138

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutts View Post
Did you know that most KL and TN lorry drivers think that turning on the right indicator is an indication for whoever is behind them to overtake !!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
when the vehicle behind you requests a overtake, the vehicle in front uses the indicator to indicate to the vehicle behind that he can go ahead;....
I can understand if they use the left indicator. That would be like saying "I'm moving to the left side of the road, so feel free to overtake me."
But using the right indicator makes no sense; it's just confusing.

Also, a lot of drivers actually believe that the Hazard Warning lights (flashers) must be used when not turning (i.e., going straight) at a signal or intersection. (They use it like a turn signal.) Though it helps to know which way they plan to move past the intersection, it just gets confusing once they forget to turn it off after the signal or intersection.

M_83
Old 23rd November 2011, 16:46   #3139
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutts
I guess its the rule of the highways. Here in Karnataka and West Bengal too all the lorries and also cars and buses use the same indicator signals for allowing overtaking. Lorry drivers get pissed off if you honk at them at night. seen many a car being refused overtakes if they honk and many being allowed easily just with flashing the headlights.

OT,
Something I noticed in Bangalore. People have a tendency to drive with high beams on all the time. As a result, this causes problems with your vision in case of oncoming traffic when you are driving in roads without dividers. Till now none of the drivers switch to low beams if I flash at them. I mostly drive with the low beam on. (a habit from my West Bengal driving.)

I'd like to know do BHPians also follow the rule of using high beams continuosly or only sometimes?? Also should I also use the high beams always like everyone here in Bangalore?? its not some mandatory rule right??

Moderator : please move my post to the apt thread in case it doesnt belong here. Thanks
Old 23rd November 2011, 17:25   #3140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekm View Post
And what pleasure does one get by doing this? This is the the height of insanity!
THAT is indeed insane! I have never seen anything like this! And isn't the driver also busy talking on his cellphone? heh maybe he didnt notice that his tyre is not there.
Old 23rd November 2011, 17:43   #3141
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
when the vehicle behind you requests a overtake, the vehicle in front uses the indicator to indicate to the vehicle behind that he can go ahead; but this is used only during the overtaking maneuver. this is very helpful during night driving.
Actually no indicator is required in this maneuver. In case somebody really wants to use the indicator, left indicator would make more sense. There is thread here where dangers of right indicator is discussed. In one instance, seeing the right indicator, the vehicle behind thought he has right of way, while the front vehicle was planning to pull over to right at a dhaba.
msdivy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2011, 18:38   #3142
Distinguished - BHPian

The other day at Pune University junction I spotted a truck with one of the wheels not even touching the ground. Did a double take only to realise that this guys had REMOVED the outer right tyre from the set of two that is supposed to be there. Most scarily the guy was zipping along at quite a clip!
Old 23rd November 2011, 18:44   #3143
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig
I'd like to know do BHPians also follow the rule of using high beams continuosly or only sometimes?? Also should I also use the high beams always like everyone here in Bangalore?? its not some mandatory rule right?
The mandatory rule is to do the opposite - not use high-beams. It is wrong to use high-beam all the time, especially in cities. But I see the same in Chennai too and it is a pain when you face such traffic or when you are in front of someone on hi-beam. On highways, you could use it, but dip the light for oncoming traffic.
Old 23rd November 2011, 19:11   #3144
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post
OT,
Something I noticed in Bangalore. People have a tendency to drive with high beams on all the time. As a result, this causes problems with your vision in case of oncoming traffic when you are driving in roads without dividers. Till now none of the drivers switch to low beams if I flash at them. I mostly drive with the low beam on. (a habit from my West Bengal driving.)

I'd like to know do BHPians also follow the rule of using high beams continuosly or only sometimes?? Also should I also use the high beams always like everyone here in Bangalore?? its not some mandatory rule right??
Welcome to Bangalore, my friend!

Everyone here engages high-beam, when the Sun goes down. It's nothing new. It's been like this for quite a while. And I know some friends who do it to. So I've politely asked them the reason why they switch on their high-beams while driving in the city. And the reply I get? "Dude, the other idiots switch their high-beams on too, and blind me, so I'll blind them right back"

And before you know it, everyone's high-beams are on because each person on the road is 'teaching' the the other person a lesson. *bangs head on wall*

Last edited by suhaas307 : 23rd November 2011 at 19:13.
suhaas307 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2011, 20:39   #3145
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307
Welcome to Bangalore, my friend!

Everyone here engages high-beam, when the Sun goes down. It's nothing new. It's been like this for quite a while. And I know some friends who do it to. So I've politely asked them the reason why they switch on their high-beams while driving in the city. And the reply I get? "Dude, the other idiots switch their high-beams on too, and blind me, so I'll blind them right back"

And before you know it, everyone's high-beams are on because each person on the road is 'teaching' the the other person a lesson. *bangs head on wall*
Its sad to see such things happening. In my native, if anyone on the opposite side has high beam on, we flash back and instantly he dips it.

And have you noticed certain vehicles intentionally trying to blind you via the IRVM?? Especially with HIDs. Happens to me a lot of times on the BIAL road. I wish someone would drive some sense into these people.

And very uncaring of fellow drivers on the roads are the SUV owners.

No offense to the members here my whole family are a bunch of "SUVphiles" including yours truly.

But why is it that only BHPians have to drive properly?? Why cant an ordinary Tom Dick or Harry drive properly too?? I mean do we really need to be BHPians to have road sense?? Come on.

Many a times Ive noticed SUVs trying to use push or shove maneuvers to make their way on the road. And why is it with Indian company SUV owners mostly??

I havent seen BMWs and Rangie or even Fortuner drivers doing such things (probably to keep their cars scratch free )

Why do we need to "make" people feel the "ROAD PRESENCE" of an SUV?? Isnt the size of the vehicle enough to do that on its own?? Do we really need to make life miserable for others on the road?

Even my extended family owns a few Indian brand SUVs but we dont make life horrible for the people on the road.

I mean the only people I have seen in SUVs to drive properly are select few good owners and BHPians whom Ive seen on road.

The lot of insensible drivers only help to create bad impression among the layman that " people with big cars = bad people".

My friend's brother was run over by a scorpio near Narayan Hrudalay flyover last year. They caught the offender however the brother's life was lost. Video captured in the CCTV showed the Scorpio trying to bully everyone out of the way in a busy road and later hitting the brother on the bike.

Such things only bring bad name to us SUV owners and in case of any incident where we may not be at fault the blame naturaly comes upon us. "Bada gariwale ki galti hai"

P.S I dont mean to offend any SUV owner in this forum. Im just frustrated with the bad name that Good owners have to bear with because of all the miscreants. I mean even you'd have heard comments behind your back "bada gari hai to soch ta hai aapne baap ka road hai" just because someone else would have given them a bad experience.

Moderator please delete my post if it hurts someone's sentiments.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Only 2 smileys per post. Please go through our board rules in detail. Thanks.

Last edited by n_aditya : 24th November 2011 at 11:14. Reason: extra smiley removed.
Parthasarathig is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2011, 21:44   #3146
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Everyone here engages high-beam, when the Sun goes down. It's nothing new. It's been like this for quite a while.
Added to this, the fog lamps will be on even when there is absolutely no fog. I drive around 40 kms every night and face severe difficulties in encountering such high beam and fog lamp lovers. The most irritating high beams are from the TATA Aces. The placement of the headlights are such that it directly falls on your your eyes and these morons never use low beams.
Old 23rd November 2011, 21:50   #3147
Distinguished - BHPian

It's not a phenomenon restricted to Chennai or Pune or Mumbai or anywhere else. It's universal stupidity. I have observed a couple of friends who habitually drive with high beams on- even if I point it out with much irritation, they revert to low-beam for a while and before you know it, it's up there in everyone's face again!

Combination of inconsideration, apathy, sheer ignorance and a bit of vengefulness is what i'd blame this on.
Old 23rd November 2011, 22:08   #3148
BHPian

I think we should have something like TeamBHP Driving Skills For Life for non members where we give them practical road sense too.
The faster and the more we spread the knowledge, the sooner shall the roads be a better place.

I especially dont like people using HIDs and Xenons in high beam. Especially coming from the opposite side and flashing them. I immediately get blinded :frustrati

I can only pray for the fate of bikers and scooterwalas if they face such high beams.
I do love angel eyes btw
Old 23rd November 2011, 22:50   #3149
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Welcome to Bangalore, Everyone here engages high-beam, when the Sun goes down. It's nothing new. It's been like this for quite a while. And before you know it, everyone's high-beams are on because each person on the road is 'teaching' the the other person a lesson.
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyfrmblr View Post
Added to this, the fog lamps will be on even when there is absolutely no fog. I drive around 40 kms every night and face severe difficulties in encountering such high beam and fog lamp lovers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
It's not a phenomenon restricted to Chennai or Pune or Mumbai or anywhere else. Combination of inconsideration, apathy, sheer ignorance and a bit of vengefulness is what i'd blame this on.
This is a contagious disease which has caught on everywhere like a madhouse affire. Driving after dusk these days in Kerala, with almost 90% on hibeams coupled with the hibeamers from behind, is nightmare.
I had thought of replacing half of front windshield and the rear glass with mirrors, but is violation of MV rules.
Old 23rd November 2011, 23:15   #3150
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I havent seen BMWs and Rangie or even Fortuner drivers doing such things (probably to keep their cars scratch free )
The worst drivers stand out, the good ones we don't even notice, even if they are driving very big cars.

I can say I've noticed a few Fortunas!

Consistently the worst, though, are Innova drivers, and it is very far from being only the ones with yellow plates. What is guys? You buy a vehicle that size just to bully other people? I guess so...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks