Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th November 2011, 11:42   #3181
Team-BHP Support

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by A350XWB View Post
My car got rear ended on Saturday while I was taking a U-turn. I was halfway through the turn and this guy on a Honda Activa came and banged on to the right side rear wheel / bumper of my Figo. Luckily, he had only a dislocated mud-guard. Funny thing is that I saw him coming in my rear view mirror when I started the turn and he was looking into a shop on his right hand side, paying little attention on the road. My car is left with some paint from his scooter, on the rear bumper and a lost wheel cap.
Indian driving conditions demand the driver's attention at all times. You cannot, for even a second, take your eyes off the road, as there is a chance of an accident taking place.

And yet, I see idiot people on two-wheelers riding in front of me, at 10 km/h on an empty stretch, and they're looking at the shops by the side of the road, or the billboards, or something. And I gonk gently, just to remind them that they need to move on. But they're not bothered. So I honk again, and again, and again. But they're unfazed. And if I honk too much, they turn their heads back and give me a dirty look. Yes, they TURN BACK!

I wonder why two-wheelers go sight-seeing in Bangalore.
Old 28th November 2011, 11:48   #3182
Team-BHP Support

Road Number 14, Banjara Hills is a narrow road. Two cars wide at most places and it also has a bunch of shops.

An insensitive driver stopped his red Swift opposite a pharmacy and went to buy some medicines.
This led to a pile up behind the car. There were at least 5 cars already backed up and traffic on the other side was also getting impacted.

He could have gone ahead, some 10 metres and parked without blocking traffic. But who cares about others.

I understand since its a pharmacy, he might have been in a hurry. But what about people he held up. They may also be in a rush to get some place.
bblost is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th November 2011, 12:08   #3183
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
^^If you are driving your Scorp, nudge the Fiesta's exposed part slightly - the owner will from the next time not park like this creating nusiance for everyone.
I was driving my Punto.

In any case, i love my car more & why scratch my car for such selfish & irresponsible chaps?
Old 28th November 2011, 12:18   #3184
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
^^If you are driving your Scorp, nudge the Fiesta's exposed part slightly - the owner will from the next time not park like this creating nusiance for everyone.
In the heat of the moment, I'd feel like doing the same thing too. Trust me!

I drive a Santro on a regular basis, and it's 8 years old, and quite well maintained. Very few dings and scratches. And another scratch or ding wouldn't really affect me, because I don't 'love' my car, the way I loved my Zen and the way I love my Jazz.

So I wouldn't really care if my car got dinged. And hence, would consider dinging his car with mine.

BUT. I wouldn't.

It isn't advisable to do something like that. In a fit of rage, all of us feel like doing something inhumane, in order to 'teach the guy a lesson'. But when better sense prevails, one must know that we are not in any position to teach him a lesson. He is a human being, just like you and me. We don't have the authority to mess with someone else's property, just because he has caused us inconvenience.

Wait for that extra 5-10 minutes if you have to. It wouldn't kill you!

Turn up the volume of your music system in your car, or tune into something you enjoy. Keep your mind off the idiot and the way he has parked his car. There are idiots all over the Wolrd, and not just in India. And we cannot teach all of them a lesson now, can we?

I hope you don't get me the wrong way!
Old 28th November 2011, 15:58   #3185
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
And yet, I see idiot people on two-wheelers riding in front of me, at 10 km/h on an empty stretch, and they're looking at the shops by the side of the road, or the billboards, or something. And I gonk gently, just to remind them that they need to move on. But they're not bothered. So I honk again, and again, and again. But they're unfazed. And if I honk too much, they turn their heads back and give me a dirty look. Yes, they TURN BACK!

So true! And they manage to squeeze in between two cars even if there's hardly any place and give that dirty look at you again as if we are doing something wrong!!
Old 28th November 2011, 17:01   #3186
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I guess that it is the standard form of transport for anyone whose job takes them to customers' premises. Delivery, maintenance, even bank managers! As such, most of those sight-seeing 2-wheelers are probably looking for an address.

Of course... they should not forget that they are driving.
Old 28th November 2011, 17:06   #3187
BHPian

Have seen some very old uncles in their 70's driving their age old bajaj chetaks and bajaj cubs in the middle of the road at the speed of 10 kmph. The scooters are polluting as hell. to add icing to the cake, they do not even have rear view mirrors. Moreover, if we ask them for side, they will give you a murderous look, which will leave you wondering if you did a right thing.

Secondly there are the milkmans in delhi with double the size of milkcans hanging onto their rajdoots/bajaj chetaks on both the sides. No helmets, no indicators, no rear view mirrors, earphones plugged into their ears and recklessly driving on the road. Cannot say anything coz they will pick a fight anytime wholeheartedly.
Old 28th November 2011, 17:24   #3188
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
Also, a lot of Volvo's bully cars or just any other vehicle on road. My experience on NH-206 with KSRTC volvo's was the same, you can flash lights and honk like how you want. They simply don't care.
So is the case with the Volvos of these private travels. They come so fast right behind you on the BETL and keep honking or flashing their lights unless you move to the extreme left/right. Sometimes they just zoom past you.
Old 28th November 2011, 19:22   #3189
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by a*ed View Post
So true! And they manage to squeeze in between two cars even if there's hardly any place and give that dirty look at you again as if we are doing something wrong!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I guess that it is the standard form of transport for anyone whose job takes them to customers' premises. Delivery, maintenance, even bank managers! As such, most of those sight-seeing 2-wheelers are probably looking for an address.

Of course... they should not forget that they are driving.
I have always given people on the road the benefit of doubt. I have the patience to wait, if someone is stuck on the road. I have managed to calm myself down while driving on the road, off late. It takes a lot of daftness to irritate me. And I'm glad for that. But there are some people on the road, who are just out there to piss you off.

I have come across several old men on two-wheelers who seem to enjoy riding @ 10 km/h bang in the middle of the road. They just don't seem to have the basic courtesy to move to the side of the road and allow traffic to go by.

I've seen some guys on two-wheelers looking at the trees, the sky, the houses (especially if it's an up-market residential locality), the cars. And then they gaze deeply at the immediate road that they're about to cover as they move along, and then something else grabs their attention.

It's like, they're savoring a moment.

And after getting frustrated and finding your way past them, you find them grinning with joy, when you look at them in the mirror. I'm telling you Thad, some people feed on others' misery. It gives them a boost, and makes them feel better.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 28th November 2011 at 19:24.
Old 28th November 2011, 19:52   #3190
Senior - BHPian

Bangalore's roads are filled with two wheeler riders who are deep in conversation on the cellphone stuck between their ear and helmet and are absolutely clueless about the inconvenience they are causing to others.

Initially i found it quite amusing to see two-wheeler riders shouting at apparently nothing at traffic signals or riding slowly. It was as if there has been a break at the local mental asylum. Now its such a common sight that i feel odd one out!! And the insane one.
Old 28th November 2011, 20:03   #3191
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307
In the heat of the moment, I'd feel like doing the same
thing too. Trust me!
I hope you don't get me the wrong way!
Not at all, given that you started off by saying that you also feel like doing the same.

BTW, if you looked at the pic raj drew, one should be a complete moron to park their car like the guy mentioned did. I mean I can understand women who can't park exactly within the slot or guys who end up parking in their slot slanted. But to park serially (almost) in a parallel parking slot in a location which has parking on both sides of the road, is the limit.
Old 28th November 2011, 20:15   #3192
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Not at all, given that you started off by saying that you also feel like doing the same.

BTW, if you looked at the pic raj drew, one should be a complete moron to park their car like the guy mentioned did. I mean I can understand women who can't park exactly within the slot or guys who end up parking in their slot slanted. But to park serially (almost) in a parallel parking slot in a location which has parking on both sides of the road, is the limit.

Very true! It's completely uncalled for. I've seen idiots park their cars like this. Have they graduated to driving cars, from auto-rickshaws, or what? I just don't get it.

A certain moderator's signature caught my attention the other day. "A car is not a luxury anymore. Parking space is!"

And this statement couldn't hit the nail on it's head any harder.

But that doesn't mean people can say, "What can I do if there is no parking?" and get away with it. It just shows that they aren't concerned about their vehicles in the first place!
Old 28th November 2011, 21:21   #3193
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
... It's like, they're savoring a moment.

And after getting frustrated and finding your way past them, you find them grinning with joy, when you look at them in the mirror. I'm telling you Thad, some people feed on others' misery. It gives them a boost, and makes them feel better.
Well put and all very true. Only thing is that I would much rather have these moment savourers than the ones who are trying to push their headlight through my rear window!

I'd gladly have the whole street blocked by twenty of those guys, rather than have the one who slips in between me and a bus --- when I'm just wondering if the bus is going to crush me against the meridian
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2011, 00:15   #3194
Senior - BHPian

^^^ That would be the "median", Thad.

PTC (SETC) buses are notorious for crushing other smaller vehicles, but it would be tough for even them to crush you against any meridian.

Sorry, could not resist the rare gaffe you make with the English language.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 29th November 2011 at 00:19.
Old 29th November 2011, 02:40   #3195
Distinguished - BHPian

<Blush>

The gaffes are not so rare, I'm afraid.

Yes, median. It is a word that I have a problem with: I guess it is a perfectly cromulent English word, but we don't use it for the divider in the centre of a road.

Bad Brain Cells - How do you spot 'em!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks