Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 1st December 2011, 23:31   #3211
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Motor Bikers are fast turning out to be bad riders. I have noticed the three following attributes among bikers of late. Yes the Kerala context.

1. While entering a road from a side road they do it through the RHS and proceeds through the right hand side of the road they have entered for quite some distance and then go to their side of the road. In the process these blokes causes enough confusion all round. They do this on highways too.
2. Two motor bikers travel in parallel or in tandem, chatting with each other without caring a hoot to other road users.
3. Ride on the lane markers be it two lane or four lane.

The first two were the routine one for the cyclists earlier, the types of them having migrated or graduated to motorbikes repeat the same and their tribes are on the rise. The day is not far when we can get to see Nanos or Altos start doing this.
Old 2nd December 2011, 06:26   #3212
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Moron here!
It was a good exercise in ego size reduction!
Another similar one, Moron here.

I was on my way to dropping my daughter to school, and some phone call came and i picked up the phone as it was from someone important and kept talking for about 2 mins (I usually don't talk this long) at the same time driving, gear changing with one hand, using the wiper with one hand and managing the steering. Having a few jerks here and there while changing gear disturbing the fellow occupants.

All this while my daughter watching.

At the end of it when i kept the phone down, she simply said "Daddy either remove the I Drive Safe sticker at the back or don't talk on phone while driving". Kids have some way of noticing things and can often surprise you.

That was it, to get me down to earth and felt really bad. Cant let the priced possession of the sticker to be removed hence now decided that wifey will pick up all calls and talk. Only if it important i would talk after stopping the car on the sides, or call later
mayankjha1806 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2011, 09:35   #3213
Senior - BHPian

^ good boy. Never put your passengers at risk because when they get into your car /on your two wheeler, they have trust in you and their safety is your responsibility; be it family or friends. If you do have to take the occasional important call while driving, make sure you use the
- handsfree
- speaker
- let passenger up front pick up the call
- if all else fails, stop the car on the side and attend to the call.

Remember, it just takes a fraction of a second for disaster to happen. Learnt it the hard way, hence the advice.

Drive safe
Old 2nd December 2011, 10:00   #3214
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
He's right!

But being British and speaking the language well are two different things: British education has been "dumbed down" in the last few decades. So...
OT { Sorry }
Thad - You always impress me with your impeccable English. Some of your expressions are just pleasing. Pity I didn't get to hear you speak. I can only imagine the diction - the sonorous way of speaking a language.

Actors like Richard Burton, Christopher Lee and Sir Anthony Hopkins have that magical diction.
Old 2nd December 2011, 21:37   #3215
Distinguished - BHPian

I have a 1950s upper-middle-class "accent" and, like many Englishmen, I don't pronounce the letter R at all properly. It's the Scots and the Irish who are actually the masters of the English Language! I'd trade it all for being able to get my ears, let alone my tongue, around Tamil or Malayalam <Blush>

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
"Daddy either remove the I Drive Safe sticker at the back or don't talk on phone while driving"
Honorary Distinguished-Membership status for that little girl, please!

That's a great story, and one with hope for the future too,

Phones should not rule our lives. It is easy enough to let a phone ring, find a place to stop, and deal with it then. Even when not driving... If I am having anything approaching an important (or even enjoyable) conversation with someone, I see no reason that a phone has precedence, and has to be answered; it is just an interruption.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2011, 13:17   #3216
BHPian

I was driving on Old Airport road, Blore , having entered from Trinity circle road.

I have always seen the interceptor waiting after the command hospital. The trick is a delayed signal, and when the signal turns green, ppl zip past to make up for lost time at signal, not noticing interceptor and get caught. Having become a victim of this once, I have since been careful.

Yday, i realised the signal delay, and slowed down to 45 kmph, speed limit being 50. An esteem behind me was getting furiously impatient, and was honking his boot out. I tried signalling him that there is trouble ahead. He wisks past me through the left, comes to my LHS and gives me that sarcastic hand signal of " why cant u pedal harder", i smile and he zooms past me, into the waiting hand of a constable.

As i passed him at peacefully, his sarcasm had turned to a mere frail look. I then saw the car regn to be a HR one. May be more trouble than just a speeding ticket !!!
mannubhai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2011, 16:23   #3217
Senior - BHPian

This one takes the cake for bad parking! What can I say, the picture speaks for itself. Brand new Etios with a temp registration, so I assume the driver is brand new to parking also!

Ok, for a moment let's assume that there is a gate so the owner wanted to unload something from the car and take it through the gate. But then, c'mon; no sane person would park a brand new car like that!!

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-img_-052.jpg
W.A.G.7 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2011, 16:48   #3218
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannubhai View Post
I was driving on Old Airport road, Blore , having entered from Trinity circle road.

I have always seen the interceptor waiting after the command hospital. The trick is a delayed signal, and when the signal turns green, ppl zip past to make up for lost time at signal, not noticing interceptor and get caught. Having become a victim of this once, I have since been careful.

Yday, i realised the signal delay, and slowed down to 45 kmph, speed limit being 50. An esteem behind me was getting furiously impatient, and was honking his boot out. I tried signalling him that there is trouble ahead. He wisks past me through the left, comes to my LHS and gives me that sarcastic hand signal of " why cant u pedal harder", i smile and he zooms past me, into the waiting hand of a constable.

As i passed him at peacefully, his sarcasm had turned to a mere frail look. I then saw the car regn to be a HR one. May be more trouble than just a speeding ticket !!!
Priceless!

This has happened to me twice. I am completely aware of all the little spots that the cops choose for the Interceptor. I have always stuck to the 50 km/h speed limit, and there have been several instances where the driver behind me gets annoyed, to the point of swerving and going even faster than he would have otherwise gone, only to get caught about 200 meters ahead by a cop who jumps right in front of fast-moving cars (I admire the cojones that the cop has) frantically waving his arms about and signalling them to stop by the side of the road.

And it's happened on Airport Road, Intermediate Ring Road, Kasturba Road and even near Bypanahalli!
Old 3rd December 2011, 17:41   #3219
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Priceless!

This has happened to me twice. I am completely aware of all the little spots that the cops choose for the Interceptor. I have always stuck to the 50 km/h speed limit, and there have been several instances where the driver behind me gets annoyed, to the point of swerving and going even faster than he would have otherwise gone, only to get caught about 200 meters ahead by a cop who jumps right in front of fast-moving cars (I admire the cojones that the cop has) frantically waving his arms about and signalling them to stop by the side of the road.

And it's happened on Airport Road, Intermediate Ring Road, Kasturba Road and even near Bypanahalli!
The tip is : If you get an extended signal ( they put it to 90 sec instead of 60 to clear the road for your to rip through ..smart eh ? )at Old airport road near command hospital, Yelahanka junction,Manipal centre towards cubbon road , interrmed ring road Ejipura jn etc... Slow down, cos there is an interceptor waiting. ALso in airport road, if you see the merus and easycabs driving unusually slow, come to below 80 kmph cos the meru/easycab guys have got the prior info
Old 5th December 2011, 15:24   #3220
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Priceless!
..where the driver behind me gets annoyed, to the point of swerving and going even faster than he would have otherwise gone, only to get caught about 200 meters ahead by a cop who jumps right in front of fast-moving cars (I admire the cojones that the cop has) frantically waving his arms about and signalling them to stop by the side of the road.
I had a hearty laugh seeing your comment about the cops. Rest assured that on fine day, he will be taken for a ride - on someone's bonnet. Hope it will all remain intact then.
basky is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2011, 15:32   #3221
Senior - BHPian

I became a victim of bad parking in my own apartment building last week. On Thursday when I got back from office, a car was parked as shown in red colour in the picture below:

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-parking.jpg

The car belongs to someone who resides in my apartment complex. The parking slot in blue was occupied and it is not allocated to the red car's owner. Luckily for me, the parking lot next to mine was empty (it usually is) and I was able to get the car into my parking slot. I thought that the guy had just stopped the car to get something from home and I probably reached at the wrong time.

But, the very next day when I reached home, I saw the same car parked at exactly the same place. This time I was in no mood to give the guy any benefit of doubt. So I asked the security guy to take care that people are not allowed to park wherever they please and also stuck a note on the offending car's driver side window saying, "Please use your common sense while parking your car". Later I thought the tone of the note was probably a bit harsh, but I haven't seen the guy parking there anymore.
Old 5th December 2011, 18:08   #3222
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ Harsh? That was too mild. I would probably have written something that would get this post deleted

We have open-air parallel parking next to a wall in our complex. The wall has bright yellow markings indicating where the parking spot starts and ends. It would really take an idiot to not recognise that. Sure enough, one obliged and this Honda City was parked about 3-4 feet behind where he was supposed to. As a result the Swift behind him had to squeeze in and overlap my space by about 2 feet and the guy behind me was correctly parked so I had a torrid time squeezing my Vento into the space that was left. I succeeded a couple of times, with the family highly impressed by my parallel parking skills but it was a tight thing. Finally lost my patience and complained to the security who managed to track down the owner and found that he didn't even own the spaces he was half-parked in! Hopefully I get my full breathing space tonight.
Old 5th December 2011, 19:20   #3223
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
"Please use your common sense while parking your car".
I once saw a sticker on a dilapidated Amby saying 'So Many Men, So Few with Brains'. Another sticker said ' Common sense - Not so Common '

Maybe it was intended for your neighbour.
Old 5th December 2011, 20:22   #3224
Senior - BHPian

this guy is really close to my car's behind while i'm doing 80kmph on the BETL! he was trying to bully his way past a Indicab on the left lane and me in the right!
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-_mg_3130.jpg

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-_mg_3131.jpg

this morning i got a similar scare when i Fortuner tried to bully his way between me (on the right) and a biker (on the left). from the corner of my eye i could see his projectors inches away from my B-pillar!

wonder why people pull such stunts at high speeds putting other's lives in danger
Old 5th December 2011, 20:26   #3225
Team-BHP Support

Bikes should not be allowed on 2 lane bridges. They just slow down the average speed and at least in Mumbai I've noticed ride in the middle of a lane blocking the full lane. Cars have to keep switching lanes to avoid them. Infact some of them stay in the right lane and refuse to budge.

Most Viewed