Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th December 2011, 21:33   #3256
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Take a look at this Father.

The last thing that people these days worry about on the road is human life these days. Things like reaching the destination in the shortest possible time, evading the corrupt cop from catching you breaking some rule, honking at everything and anything out there on the road, spitting and throwing your house's garbage from your car, catching up with all your lost family and friends on the cellphone etc are much more important and urgent. So this is not exactly a surprise that the guy in the pic was doing things this way.

Atleast he didn't try squeezing past the Camry standing there and break its side view mirror. Kudos to him !

Last edited by drmohitg : 15th December 2011 at 21:34.
Old 15th December 2011, 21:41   #3257
BHPian

Lot of parents are like this.

I have seen a mother almost strangling a child with her arms and oblivious of it
Old 15th December 2011, 21:44   #3258
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
The last thing that people these days worry about on the road is human life these days. Things like reaching the destination in the shortest possible time, evading the corrupt cop from catching you breaking some rule, honking at everything and anything out there on the road, spitting and throwing your house's garbage from your car, catching up with all your lost family and friends on the cellphone etc are much more important and urgent. So this is not exactly a surprise that the guy in the pic was doing things this way.

Atleast he didn't try squeezing past the Camry standing there and break its side view mirror. Kudos to him !
No sir he did squeezed past the Camry by constant horn blowing and asking himto move ahead and took a "U" turn (see the sign) and swiftly entered the small lane towards his Kholi where he must be staying.
Arre bhai yeh toh meri gali hai who can catch me here."bowbowbowbowbow"

Last edited by IQBAL VEERJI : 15th December 2011 at 21:45.
Old 15th December 2011, 21:57   #3259
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IQBAL VEERJI View Post
No sir he did squeezed past the Camry by constant horn blowing and asking himto move ahead and took a "U" turn (see the sign) and swiftly entered the small lane towards his Kholi where he must be staying.
Arre bhai yeh toh meri gali hai who can catch me here."bowbowbowbowbow"
My bad Sirji for daring to hope that he displayed some concern for "us lowly forms of life". The U turn sign on the signal means that no body else can take a U turn there. It doesn't apply to him ofcourse.
Old 15th December 2011, 21:57   #3260
Team-BHP Support

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
There is no right turn available where these 2 people are trying to

Attachment 856764

Attachment 856765

Look at where the Hyundai guy has stopped in the below pic. Also notice the pedestrians crossing the road while a FOB lies unused.

Attachment 856766
Something that's very common, here in Bangalore as well!

I know of several 'No-right-turn' junctions that people seem to be oblivious of.

And over-head bridges have been reduced to advertisement hoardings and shelters for the homeless.

Sad.
Old 15th December 2011, 22:14   #3261
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Unless you physically block people from entering the road, they will never use the foot-over-bridge.

And these are the same people who did a "rasta-roko" at the same spot when somebody dies crossing the road and demand a FOB

The FOB near Mulund East toll naka happened after around 7-8 deaths over 2-3 years. Same story. Hardly anybody uses it. Common sense is indeed not common.
Old 15th December 2011, 23:16   #3262
Senior - BHPian

Regarding the topic of foot overbridges, my observation is that many of the bridges are constructed way too high. So many people avoid them, because using them means climbing nearly 2-3 floors or some times even higher. And again, sooner or later, they are occupied by street dwellers resulting in filth and unhygenic conditions. Which makes people avoid them all the more.

Same is the case with underground subways. In Pune, many subways are overflowing with drain water; resulting in foul smells and waterlogging. Hence many people prefer avoiding them.
Old 16th December 2011, 08:38   #3263
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Something that's very common, here in Bangalore as well!
I know of several 'No-right-turn' junctions that people seem to be oblivious of.
Last weekend, I encountered a similar situation. At the Delmia signal, I was behind a Scorpio, which was the first vehicle in the queue. We were going towards Kalyani Magnum from JP Nagar and not on the ring road. The right turn from there is now not allowed and it's marked also. As soon as the signal turned green, I was ready to move and this fellow stopped bang in the middle of the road, blocking everybody behind. I initially thought that he had some problem with his car and then, I realized that he wanted to take a right turn and the vehicles coming from opposite side did not yield. He wasted one entire signal and as soon as the second time the signal turned green, people started shouting at him to move on. He was adamant and moved his vehicle a bit forward and still wanted to take the turn from there. I got a little space and I moved on from the left.
Funny thing is that there is a right turn after some 100 mtrs and he wanted to take the right turn there itself
Old 16th December 2011, 09:24   #3264
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
Look at where the Hyundai guy has stopped in the below pic. Also notice the pedestrians crossing the road while a FOB lies unused.
Is that the JVLR? I find the stretch from Seepz to Jogeshwari and the Eastern express highway to Gandhinagar the most irritating patches of traffic I have ever encountered. Those 2 were the top-most reasons for me shifting to Pune!
Old 16th December 2011, 10:15   #3265
Distinguished - BHPian

This morning after I entered my office premises following our security check, I was going at a sedate pace (the exit to the bus bay is there and a fair number of pedestrians cross at this point). There is a right turn that we make to head to the parking lot and just as I was taking the turn, this biker squeezes into the space between my car and the divider. Thankfully I spotted him out of the corner of my eye and corrected my turn so that he didn't bang into my right door.

The speed limit on that stretch is 15 and it's such a short drive to the parking lot that there is no way he could have saved more than a minute by his foolish overtaking maneuver. Classic case of a bad and rather inconsiderate driver. I can only speculate on the hell he may have raised if we'd had an impact!
Old 16th December 2011, 12:08   #3266
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by A350XWB View Post
Last weekend, I encountered a similar situation. At the Delmia signal, I was behind a Scorpio, which was the first vehicle in the queue. We were going towards Kalyani Magnum from JP Nagar and not on the ring road. The right turn from there is now not allowed and it's marked also. As soon as the signal turned green, I was ready to move and this fellow stopped bang in the middle of the road, blocking everybody behind. I initially thought that he had some problem with his car and then, I realized that he wanted to take a right turn and the vehicles coming from opposite side did not yield. He wasted one entire signal and as soon as the second time the signal turned green, people started shouting at him to move on. He was adamant and moved his vehicle a bit forward and still wanted to take the turn from there. I got a little space and I moved on from the left.
Funny thing is that there is a right turn after some 100 mtrs and he wanted to take the right turn there itself
The really funny thing is, he would have probably saved some fuel, had he gone forward and taken the next right, rather than sitting in one place and idling the engine while waiting for the traffic to clear up. Assuming that he stays somewhere around there, or he isn't far away from his destination, of course.

But what is more irritating is, there are some people out thereon the roads, who actually enjoy the idea of violating traffic rules, even if the rules in question are easy to obey. That said, there is no easy or difficult here. Rules are rules, and we must obey them.
Old 16th December 2011, 12:20   #3267
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prafulasher View Post
Is that the JVLR? I find the stretch from Seepz to Jogeshwari and the Eastern express highway to Gandhinagar the most irritating patches of traffic I have ever encountered. Those 2 were the top-most reasons for me shifting to Pune!
Yes, it's the JVLR. Traffic is pretty ok these days except for this very junction and the bridge over the tracks at Gandhinagar that is still under construction from the past era.

The FOB's are never used. People will run across the traffic right under the bridge, struggle to get onto the divider (which is very high) and then wait for the traffic on the other side to thin out before making a mad dash to the other side. They waste a lot of time climbing the divider, waiting for traffic to thin out and getting down and making a dash for it, also increasing their chances of being run over. I have seen ladies and old people do this too...ladies struggle with the sarees to climb up and down the divider !

If they would have used the FOB, they would cross over faster and safer.

Like someone said here, these FOB's are built high...if that is the case then how come these very same people climb these FOB's to watch Ganpati processions and political rallies ? Isn't it the same height or they reduce the height then ?
Old 16th December 2011, 12:24   #3268
BHPian

Quote:
The really funny thing is, he would have probably saved some fuel, had he gone forward and taken the next right, rather than sitting in one place and idling the engine while waiting for the traffic to clear up. Assuming that he stays somewhere around there, or he isn't far away from his destination, of course.
Actually, he was doing that only. And funny thing was that he was asking the on-coming traffic (with hand gestures) to stop for him to make the right turn. Nobody was listening to him and rightly so. I don't know how long he waited there. He actually had to travel only 100 mtrs or so more, to go in his intended direction but was hell bound on making the turn there itself.

Quote:
That said, there is no easy or difficult here. Rules are rules, and we must obey them.
So very true. Some people just can't do it
Old 16th December 2011, 12:25   #3269
SDP
Team-BHP Support

General observation: When multiple lanes are turning right (or left) at a signal OR when there is a relatively sharp turn/bend in a multi-lane road, quite a few drivers do not find it necessary to maintain the lane. May be they believe that they are in a F1 race and can afford to take "wide" turns.

This actually creates issues and surprises those who take the effort and stick to their lanes.
Old 16th December 2011, 13:40   #3270
Distinguished - BHPian

The right turn thing reminds me of people who do not turn on their right-turn indicator until the traffic has started moving ahead --- and we, wanting to go ahead, are stuck behind them.

Truly international complaint, this one: it is just as common in UK as it is here.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks