Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th December 2011, 14:40   #3271
BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Last week while returning from lansdowne, we had a biker with a lady and was racing with a scooter. No helmets at all. Ultimately the worse happened. Scooter banged the bike from behind. Nothing happened to the scooter guy but the bike fell down and the lady was very badly injured. She had lost her senses and was suffering from epileptic attack. Stopped the car and took her to hospital for the first aid. Thankfully she was allright after few medications.

Accidents do happen. but it is ultimately the responsibility of the driver to save his life as well as the pillion rider or co-riders. Thirdly why do people race??.

The service booklet of maruti provides a great insight to fast driving. I will quote that " Over a distance of 300 kms, the person driving at 90 will reach just 20 mins ahead of the person driving at 60".

think..are those 20 mins more important or life of someone who is associated with us and others.

While my boss was driving at 100 and i was driving at 70. everyone in the car felt more safe and happier while i was driving.
su1978 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th December 2011, 15:11   #3272
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
The right turn thing reminds me of people who do not turn on their right-turn indicator until the traffic has started moving ahead --- and we, wanting to go ahead, are stuck behind them.

Truly international complaint, this one: it is just as common in UK as it is here.
This one is tricky. In US, I have seen, lanes marked as "Right turn ONLY". So unless the lane is marked such, it means that the lane is meant for both: vehicles going straight as well as vehicles who intend to take the right turn. In such a case, if I am behind a car that is waiting for the right turn signal, I have no choice but to wait.

The way it is handled in US is that, in such cases where there is no separate "right turn only" lane, the signal for going straight happens at the same time as the signal for going right, so that nobody is inconvenienced.

In India, I have not seen lanes maked as "Right turn only" (except at a couple of places). There is nothing wrong with having to wait behind a car which wants to take a turn, but has no green signal for taking that turn. If at all, I would blame the signals not being coordinated for this inconvenience and not the driver. With that said, I agree that having the turn indicator blinking would help others to switch lanes if they are afraid to get trapped behind a waiting car.

Last edited by SDP : 16th December 2011 at 15:14.
Old 16th December 2011, 16:17   #3273
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post

The speed limit on that stretch is 15 and it's such a short drive to the parking lot that there is no way he could have saved more than a minute by his foolish overtaking maneuver. Classic case of a bad and rather inconsiderate driver. I can only speculate on the hell he may have raised if we'd had an impact!
We have fair share of idiots like these in our office campus Noop. Yesterday i had posted one snap of a badly parked car in the parking lot.

Today morning i was on the ramp of the Multi Level parking lot going up to Level 3. A Santro guy was following me. Obviously one cannot zoom on the ramp. The Santro guy behind me was a real impatient guy and he actually honked not once but twice within the space of 4-5 secs that it takes to go up. Cannot really fathom the hurry people are in.
Old 16th December 2011, 16:42   #3274
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
The right turn thing reminds me of people who do not turn on their right-turn indicator until the traffic has started moving ahead --- and we, wanting to go ahead, are stuck behind them.

Truly international complaint, this one: it is just as common in UK as it is here.
Made worse by the fact that in UK, you can (at some junctions) legally stop in the middle of junction waiting for a break in traffic from the opposite side to turn right. Kind of effectively blocking the right lane.
I found that really wierd!
Old 16th December 2011, 17:06   #3275
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
...With that said, I agree that having the turn indicator blinking would help others to switch lanes if they are afraid to get trapped behind a waiting car.
That's my point. People have a right to turn right, and to stop and wait to do so ... it's the communication thing, so other know and can avoid being behind.
Old 16th December 2011, 17:22   #3276
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom
A very valid complaint, although there is a flip side to it. I usually swich off engine at red signal if as per my knowledge it would stay red for next 30seconds +.

This saves fuel, also cant switch ignition to stage one where in the indicators would work as it switches on the fan blower and there is a possibility of battery draining.

Only precaution i try to take is when someone comes behind i switch ignition and indicator on for a few seconds so as he is aware of my intentions.
mayankjha1806 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2011, 19:57   #3277
Distinguished - BHPian

That is very courteous of you.

Since the day I got stuck, at a major junction, unable to restart the car, I've been very nervous of turning off!

At a long halt, it is equally annoying having someone's flasher on in front of your face all that time. I try to remember to turn it off then, but I do often forget.
Old 16th December 2011, 21:18   #3278
Senior - BHPian

This private limited stop bus was blocking the free left turn by waiting for his signal to go straight. At the bypass Palarivattom cross signal junction. Such bad drivers deserve hard punishment so that they don't do this act again.
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-bad-driver-bus.jpg  

Old 17th December 2011, 00:16   #3279
PhX
BHPian

Quote:
With that said, I agree that having the turn indicator blinking would help others to switch lanes if they are afraid to get trapped behind a waiting car.
You're assuming that putting on your indicator would make someone give you space to cut in and enter the left lane, which, in my opinion, is assuming too much

In traffic, you'd be lucky to come across such good samaritans who will sympathise with you and let you cut in, and if you try doing it and end up clipping them, then you will either get into an argument or a fight, depending on where you are (and how big you are).

I remember when I had just learnt how to drive, the two things my dad taught me (which has helped me drive better in traffic) were how to anticipate traffic and how to drive aggressively. Now, please note that there's a difference between driving aggressively and driving rashly. Aggressive driving gives me satisfaction when an idiot is trying all sorts of stunts to overtake me on a crowded road. They try to come up right next to you and then try and nudge into your lane. If you let them, they'll come right in front of you. Anyway, I'll stop rambling.
Old 17th December 2011, 00:40   #3280
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by haldar_siliguri View Post
"Sticking your neck backwards while changing lanes????" Tell that to a fellow European or an American and he'll give up driving.
Not true. In the US, it is considered a standard and safe practice to quickly turn your neck and glance at the blind spot before changing lanes. This takes what, maybe 1/10th of a second, right? In fact, they drill that into your head at the driving schools here too.
I think it is really the safest way to make sure nothing is in your blind spot and it eventually develops into a good driving habit. The ORVMs alone do not cover 100% of the space on the sides of your car. Sure, maybe if you stick a small convex mirror at the upper corner of your outside mirrors, that will cover it, but this safe practice comes handy when you are driving a rental car or any car other than your car which may not have that convex mirror stuck in.
mr.sinha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2011, 01:43   #3281
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.sinha View Post
Not true. In the US, it is considered a standard and safe practice to quickly turn your neck and glance at the blind spot before changing lanes. This takes what, maybe 1/10th of a second, right? In fact, they drill that into your head at the driving schools here too.
I think it is really the safest way to make sure nothing is in your blind spot and it eventually develops into a good driving habit. The ORVMs alone do not cover 100% of the space on the sides of your car. Sure, maybe if you stick a small convex mirror at the upper corner of your outside mirrors, that will cover it, but this safe practice comes handy when you are driving a rental car or any car other than your car which may not have that convex mirror stuck in.
+1. In North America, you will get a warning point while driving test if you do not quickly turn your neck and check the blind spots while changing lanes.
Old 17th December 2011, 08:43   #3282
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom

I turn off my ignition on signals that have timer or where I definitely know it's going to take a while to get green (daily routes). Call it earth-friendly or pocket-friendly (there's as much as 1 KMPL improvement in my Scorpio if done consistently over a period of a week and a half / one tankful). I do it when I am waiting to take right turn as well (again only in situation where the 'time to move' is clearly known as explained above).

Unfortunately, the blinkers turn off when I do that - even when the stalk is left in on position. Now, even when I let it blink once or twice before turning off the engine, what if a poor chap pulls behind me after that!

PS: This is NOT to support those who don't give enough warning before their turn. May be car manufacturers can make blinkers run through 'key-on' position much like stereo rather than through 'ignition-on' position.
GunMo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2011, 08:55   #3283
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunMo View Post
May be car manufacturers can make blinkers run through 'key-on' position much like stereo rather than through 'ignition-on' position.
That is exactly how it works in my Alto. Surprised to read that, that's now how it works for cars from some other manufacturers.
Old 17th December 2011, 23:36   #3284
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That is exactly how it works in my Alto. Surprised to read that, that's now how it works for cars from some other manufacturers.
Original config is as told by GunMo. Your's may be some after market change. Is your Alto purchased by you as new.

Last edited by rajeev k : 17th December 2011 at 23:37.
Old 18th December 2011, 09:09   #3285
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
Original config is as told by GunMo. Your's may be some after market change. Is your Alto purchased by you as new.
Bought new and its a 2004 model. Off-On-Acc-Ignition are the 4 notches on the key-hole ring and on "Acc" everything (except the engine, AC & brake-booster) works from battery power.
While I stop at a signal with engine turned off, I maintain the key in the "Acc" notch. I need the fan (AC-blower) and the turn-signals even while I am waiting for the signal and they remain operational.

I am missing something or getting confused?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks