Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 18th December 2011, 10:30   #3286
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
This private limited stop bus was blocking the free left turn by waiting for his signal to go straight. At the bypass Palarivattom cross signal junction. Such bad drivers deserve hard punishment so that they don't do this act again.
Ah, a very common sight. Here's one more example. This time this guy is blocking the right lane.
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-img01211201112161702.jpg  

Old 18th December 2011, 16:34   #3287
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Ah, a very common sight. Here's one more example. This time this guy is blocking the right lane.
This is another one. At the kadavanthra junction. This MAN guy was blocking the traffic for quite some time.
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-man.jpg  

Old 18th December 2011, 19:38   #3288
Senior - BHPian

Re: Which Helmet? (Tips on buying a good helmet in post #78)

Hi guys, those rules of ISI marked helmets will come later ,first we must teach our people how to wear the helmets.
They wear it just for the sake of wearing them.Look at this idiot and there are large numbers of such fellows found i similar method of wearing the helmets,and our Govt is after that ISI MARKED issue.
This chap looks like he is proceeding to participate in the KOLAVERI DI dance programme.
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-imag0129.jpg  

Last edited by IQBAL VEERJI : 18th December 2011 at 19:43.
Old 18th December 2011, 22:08   #3289
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
This is another one. At the kadavanthra junction. This MAN guy was blocking the traffic for quite some time.
The cement blocks are loaded above the top level of the load area and the load is not even secured in any way
This is outright dangerous.

Last edited by SDP : 18th December 2011 at 22:09.
Old 19th December 2011, 00:22   #3290
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
The cement blocks are loaded above the top level of the load area and the load is not even secured in any way
This is outright dangerous.
One sharp turn executed by that truck driver, and one might find a brick sitting in the passenger-seat. Or worse..

I'd love to take photos of erring drivers every day. But that would mean that I need a memory-card with a minimum of 50 megabytes free, everyday. And a DSLR.

Or maybe I should buy one of those new Land Rover Range Rovers with cameras all around it, and then program it to focus and take pictures, while operating it front the inside!
Old 19th December 2011, 14:28   #3291
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
A very valid complaint, although there is a flip side to it. I usually swich off engine at red signal if as per my knowledge it would stay red for next 30seconds +.

This saves fuel, also cant switch ignition to stage one where in the indicators would work as it switches on the fan blower and there is a possibility of battery draining.

Only precaution i try to take is when someone comes behind i switch ignition and indicator on for a few seconds so as he is aware of my intentions.
Hi Mayank
My two cents on this. I have never faced this problem in my Swift since there is a key only on for lights and battery stuff like lights, stereo and the next flip of the key brings the engine to revv.
Am surprised that not all manufacturers are truly following this for many cars or may be i could be wrong .

PS: my swift is not undergone any factory setting changes

Cheers
Prasad
Old 19th December 2011, 15:42   #3292
BHPian

Is there any way to check out if an imported helmet is genuine or not? E.g., how would I know that the LS2 that I'm getting a great deal on, is not a dud?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IQBAL VEERJI View Post
Look at this idiot and there are large numbers of such fellows found i similar method of wearing the helmets,and our Govt is after that ISI MARKED issue.
This chap looks like he is proceeding to participate in the KOLAVERI DI dance programme.
OT: To me he looks more like Zaphod Beeblebrox from The Hitchhikers', with the twin heads..
Old 19th December 2011, 19:15   #3293
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamseller View Post
Is there any way to check out if an imported helmet is genuine or not? E.g., how would I know that the LS2 that I'm getting a great deal on, is not a dud?

OT: To me he looks more like Zaphod Beeblebrox from The Hitchhikers', with the twin heads..
Yes dear you are right in Mumbai you will find plenty of such Jokers riding their souped up bikes with confidence in front of those stupid overlooking cops.
Your comment's answer from my side .hahahahahahahahahahha.
Old 20th December 2011, 08:48   #3294
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseldunk
since there is a key only on for lights and battery stuff like lights, stereo and the next flip of the key brings the engine
Checked (although already knew) the first click of the key activates headlights, hazard lights, and music system but no indicators.

Second click of key brings lights on dashboard on so does the indicators but also switches on the air blower which consumes lot more power.

Checked on both Baleno and Civic.

Yesterday while coming to electronic city phase one through the elevated expressway needed to take right exit (which i have never taken before, i always go straight to narayana hurdralaya) and was not aware that on this exit there is only one bay for cash exit and three for monthly card/pass holders need to add as this is different from the other straight exit.

So i went into wrong lane and was asked to back up to get into right lane. Backed up a little because there were cars behind decided to patiently wait to get into the queue. Saw folks cursing me to get into the queue including a young merc driver, as if i was doing this on purpose to get ahead of the queue.

Anyways decided to keep waiting until someone let me in, finally there was a black swift guy who wilingly let me in. Thanked him, if you are reading this Thank you again.

Looks like folks do not like even if someone made a mistake and give him/her an oppertunity to correct.

Last edited by mayankjha1806 : 20th December 2011 at 08:50.
mayankjha1806 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2011, 11:33   #3295
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
Yesterday while coming to electronic city phase one through the elevated expressway needed to take right exit (which i have never taken before, i always go straight to narayana hurdralaya) and was not aware that on this exit there is only one bay for cash exit and three for monthly card/pass holders need to add as this is different from the other straight exit.

So i went into wrong lane and was asked to back up to get into right lane. Backed up a little because there were cars behind decided to patiently wait to get into the queue. Saw folks cursing me to get into the queue including a young merc driver, as if i was doing this on purpose to get ahead of the queue.

Anyways decided to keep waiting until someone let me in, finally there was a black swift guy who wilingly let me in. Thanked him, if you are reading this Thank you again.

Looks like folks do not like even if someone made a mistake and give him/her an oppertunity to correct.
Mayank, this kind of thing (getting into the wrong lane and then joining the correct one) happens day in and day out. there are people who genuinely get into the wrong lane due to ignorance, but the percentage of people trying to jump the queue is much higher. this really puts people off and i believe it is the reason why people don't allow people to rejoin the queue. this coupled with the fact that people on our roads have very little patience.
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-_mg_3250.jpg

before getting the OBU, if i used to see someone trying to jump the queue to get ahead, i wouldn't allow that person to rejoin. however, if i felt it was a genuine case, i would be more than happy to accommodate the person because like the saying goes do unto others as you expect others to do unto you

that being said, (i'm generally speaking and not your case in particular) when approaching a toll booth one has never used before, one would at least wonder why people are lined up in one lane and not using the others. if one is lucky, one would see the gate opening on these unused lanes when cars pass; this should set one thinking - what is that these people have that makes the gate open automatically. do i have one in my car?

common sense quite frankly
IronH4WK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2011, 12:56   #3296
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806
1) Checked (although already knew) the first click of the key activates headlights, hazard lights, and music system but no indicators.
2)Second click of key brings lights on dashboard on so does the indicators but also switches on the air blower which consumes lot more power
1)You don't even need the key in the slot to activate parking-lamps & headlights.
2)Also, while the air-blower does add to the power consumed, it is not really much to drain the battery if used at signals. I do it all the time.
Old 20th December 2011, 13:11   #3297
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
1)You don't even need the key in the slot to activate parking-lamps & headlights.
2)Also, while the air-blower does add to the power consumed, it is not really much to drain the battery if used at signals. I do it all the time.
+1 to that.
I used to have battery draining problem at signals when the battery was 3+ years old. After changing the battery, in a 45 minute daily traffic jam, while the engine is running only for 5-10 minutes out of the 45; the headlamps, music system and blower is ON for the entire duration. Absolutely no issues with battery draining.
Old 20th December 2011, 13:51   #3298
Distinguished - BHPian

My father used to tell me that keeping the key in the "ignition" position without starting the engine would "burn out the coil" ... but this was in the days of dynamos, ignition coils, mechanical distributors and all that. Now we have alternators and electronic ignition, and I have no idea if it is still true that it might be a bad thing to do, but I am still affected by my father's words.
Old 20th December 2011, 14:06   #3299
Team-BHP Support

Well, my father pesters me to either leave the car idling at the traffic-signal, with AC switched on et al, or switch the car off altogether. He says that if the car is left with the battery on, while the car isn't running, it will drain the battery in no time. I'm confused.

Anyway, it's OT.

Getting back to the thread.

I had a close call today.

Those familiar with Bangalore will know that the road from Trinity Circle, all the way up to the Ulsoor Police Station (by Lido Mall) is now very wide and can accommodate a lot of traffic. So I was on my way back from college, doing a comfortable 50 in 5th, and approaching the signal in the distance, when all of a sudden, this (goods) auto-rickshaw jumps out into the middle of the road from nowhere (literally) and straight into my path while I was barely 50 meters away!

I had to brake quite hard and even switch lanes to avoid hitting him!

He literally popped out onto the road from some by-lane or some garage on the side without even looking to see if there are other vehicles. Absolutely no regard for road users at all.

He didn't give me the chance to slow down either.

And the funniest thing about this incident is that he gave me the dirtiest look ever, like it was my fault for driving on the road.

He could have turned into the road and kept to the left, but no. He wanted to come right in the middle and inconvenience everyone else. People like these guys get some serious thrills out of such antics, I suppose.
Old 20th December 2011, 14:16   #3300
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by buntydey View Post
+1. In North America, you will get a warning point while driving test if you do not quickly turn your neck and check the blind spots while changing lanes.
Absolutely, this is called a 'Head check' maneuver and is required by law whilst changing lanes or merging into traffic from whatever position.

Most Viewed