Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 2nd January 2012, 12:02   #3376
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klub Class View Post
You can spot two drivers who are very very bad at parking.
The tree too is a causative factor along with the bad parking. The white Swift appears to be the first to park and the other car squeezed in the space in between.
Anyhow trees are not to be cut and if one is cut plant five.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sohail99 View Post
senior doc comes in his ikon and tries to squeeze in to a non existant gap enough for only 1 scooter or a bike, And I was wondering "why would anyone even attempt something like that?" Lol
Perhaps the senior Doc may be a keyhole surgeon.

Last edited by rajeev k : 2nd January 2012 at 12:07.
Old 2nd January 2012, 14:13   #3377
Senior - BHPian

if you on highway and suddenly without giving warning, a vehicle overtakes you from left sending a chill in your bones, he is bad driver.
Old 2nd January 2012, 19:27   #3378
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post

Perhaps the senior Doc may be a keyhole surgeon.

LOLz..Either way, he is an expert in making pretty big Holes in other people's wallets
mannubhai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2012, 22:42   #3379
Senior - BHPian

yep, that's how you park a Range Rover!

Name:  _MG_3652.JPG
Views: 1111
Size:  114.2 KB
IronH4WK is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2012, 23:14   #3380
Distinguished - BHPian

... Just like London!

Except that particular piece of bad-expensive-car-parking would get a bad expensive fine there.
Old 3rd January 2012, 10:32   #3381
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post

Attachment 863255
The Rangie is an SUV, so an off road excursion according to the driver = drive on footpath? It is off the road ...
Old 3rd January 2012, 17:36   #3382
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post

Attachment 863255
1)If he can do it, I can do it better ... The Innova that owns the footpath.

2)Who cares for the Limb of Life. This impatient bus driver, squeezed in through almost " fevicoling" him to the other bus. And atrociously enough, sped away literally screeching through the body of the other bus. Opp Shanti Nagar Bus stand.

3)Our man probably owned a stretched limo before, and needed more than a single bay to park. SO he decided to occupy 2. Seen at UB city level 2 parking.
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-img00765201201031411.jpg  

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-img00759201112311703.jpg  

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-img00732201112221601.jpg  

Last edited by mannubhai : 3rd January 2012 at 17:37.
Old 3rd January 2012, 17:38   #3383
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
off road excursion according to the driver = drive on footpath?

In that case, some of our most enthusastic off-roaders are bikers!

...and some of our most enthusiastic on-roaders are pedestrians

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 3rd January 2012 at 17:39.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2012, 19:26   #3384
Senior - BHPian

I thank god that i am posting today's incident only in the Bad Drivers thread and not in the Accidents in India thread.

Today i was going on Pune Bangalore highway (From Wakad towards Chandni Chowk for Punekars).

Was on the right lane with a Ford Figo in front of me. Suddenly the Figo swerved to the left as there was a guy on Activa on the right most lane in front of it. The Activa guy was trying to get into the left most lane but the Figo guy would not allow him to and went around him.

I seeing the Activa guys predicament slowed down to allow him to move to the left lane. The Activa guy noticed it and once again started to move towards the left lane. Right at that moment i noticed a speeding cab coming in from the left lane to overtake me. As soon as it passed me it saw the Activa coming into his path and he had to screech to a halt. He missed the Activa guy by inches. I thanked the stars that no accident occured as if the cab had not braked in time the Activa guy would have been history.

Couple of bad drivers here i think:
- Activa guy on the right most lane and without a helmet
- Cab driver overtaking fom left lane at full speed

Also after this happened was wondering if i did the right thing in slowing down and allowing the Activa guy to change lanes? How could i have signalled to the vehicles behind me that i had slowed down for some reason?

Last edited by amitwlele : 3rd January 2012 at 19:28.
Old 3rd January 2012, 19:49   #3385
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwlele View Post

Also after this happened was wondering if i did the right thing in slowing down and allowing the Activa guy to change lanes? How could i have signalled to the vehicles behind me that i had slowed down for some reason?
As you rightly said its not just one guy at fault here. I hate when bikers sometimes decide to drive on the right most lane on turtle like speeds. Most of them in Delhi are either old people on there Chetaks or young girls on one of those electrical scooters. They just don't move from the right lane and end up causing a huge traffic mess since everyone behind them has to change lanes and it fast becomes chaotic.

BTW how do you plan to signal to the vehicle behind you that there is a scooter guy crossing?
Old 3rd January 2012, 19:59   #3386
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
BTW how do you plan to signal to the vehicle behind you that there is a scooter guy crossing?
Yeah actually i cannot. One thought later came to mind, whether putting on the hazard lights would have helped. But then that would have compounded the problem. Seeing one car with hazard lights moving slowly on the right lane would have seen many cars overtaking me from the left. And with the cab coming to a screeching halt it would have caused a pile up.

So i guess nothing could have been done. The root cause i.e. the scooter fellow on the right most lane on a National Highway should be tackled.
Old 3rd January 2012, 20:46   #3387
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yeah actually i cannot. One thought later came to mind, whether putting on the hazard lights would have helped. But then that would have compounded the problem. Seeing one car with hazard lights moving slowly on the right lane would have seen many cars overtaking me from the left. And with the cab coming to a screeching halt it would have caused a pile up.
Exactly what I thought too. Switching on the Hazard light would have made the Taxi to surely have overtaken you from the left.

Quote:
So i guess nothing could have been done. The root cause i.e. the scooter fellow on the right most lane on a National Highway should be tackled.
Its much more complex then that. I will give the scooter guy the benefit here rather. He was as you described trying to move to the left most lane. May be he joined the highway some meters back and was not getting an opportunity to move out of the right lane. First the car in front of you and then the Taxi speeding on the left are ome reasons why I feel some bikers end up travelling on the right most lane itself. You did the right thing by slowing down and letting him move. Its his fault to not check his rear view mirror for oncoming traffic.
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2012, 22:40   #3388
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Couple of bad drivers here i think:

I believe you did the right thing to let the guy move to the left lane. At the same time, a small vehicle hidden by a large vehicle (in this case yours) behind it would always surprise someone when it changes lane.

Its relatively easy to think post-facto, but here's a thought: When the Activa started moving left, I would have tried to give him cover by moving partially/fully into left lane (with indicator).
SDP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2012, 00:19   #3389
BHPian

Saw this biker on the JVLR with his around 5-7 year old son perched on the fuel talk, to add to that the son was carrying a huge polythene bag bigger than himself in front of him. And then he suddenly stops right in front of me without any warning signs to adjust his slippers. Luckily I was expecting this biker to do something foolish so was keeping a safe distance as well as speed.

Sorry could not take any pics as I was driving.
Old 4th January 2012, 00:19   #3390
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I believe you did the right thing to let the guy move to the left lane.
Me too. The scooter guy checked you'd slowed, and moved into your lane. Next thing, he should checked the next next lane before moving into it.

For all that, the taxi should never have sped past you on the left. Complete failure to read the road, and complete disregard. He might just as well drive with his eyes closed.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed