Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th January 2012, 22:37   #3466
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Why can't they ride by placing the feet under the brake pedal and lift when necessary? Quoting a famous quote " How hard can it be?!"
That is almost equal to shifting to neutral every time you brake hard in a car , see how tough it is, believe me its much better to see that red light than getting rear ended by the same biker.

The performance bikes these days can sprint to 100-120 within the flick of an eye and not even talking of 600 or 1000 cc, even 220 and 250 cc bikes have tremendous acceleration and by keeping your foot below the brake lever you waste very precious time in case of an emergency braking and then rear end the vehicle ahead.

Its also advised to always keep 2 fingers on the front brake.

I also keep my foot above but make it a point to always have it in the air as if you keep your foot and ride the brake pads last only 2000-3000 kms and they cost a bomb for sportsbikes around 2800 or so + performance is hampered.
Old 13th January 2012, 15:27   #3467
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
....and the story continues: 8 Bad Drivers Nobody Complains About (Part 2) | Cracked.com

Cheers,
Vikram
comfortablynumb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2012, 22:17   #3468
Senior - BHPian

Learning to drive/ride at Chandigarh had always been considered to be a boon by me. The well organised and law abiding traffic made me feel comfortable when driving/riding at different parts of the country. The disclipline that the city taught me prevented me from following the herd and acting like them, even at places with pretty bad traffic. Suddenly, I feel there is a bad side of being too disciplined. Has been more than 3 months since I have been riding in Pune and till date I must hot have had come across more than a dozen drivers/riders who DO NOT use high been unnecessarily. It baffles me to see almost everyone not aware of this very basic traffic etiquete. I wonder if the high bean is being used on a regular basis, is the normal beam being put to use as pilot lights? I so wish I had grown learning to drive/ride here in Pune instead. That way, maybe I would have been used to this strange phenomenon and these stupid road users would not had blinded me with their high beams.
YC.BALENO.CHD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2012, 23:07   #3469
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
That is almost equal to shifting to neutral every time you brake hard in a car , see how tough it is, believe me its much better to see that red light than getting rear ended by the same biker.

The performance bikes these days can sprint to 100-120 within the flick of an eye and not even talking of 600 or 1000 cc, even 220 and 250 cc bikes have tremendous acceleration and by keeping your foot below the brake lever you waste very precious time in case of an emergency braking and then rear end the vehicle ahead.

Its also advised to always keep 2 fingers on the front brake.

I also keep my foot above but make it a point to always have it in the air as if you keep your foot and ride the brake pads last only 2000-3000 kms and they cost a bomb for sportsbikes around 2800 or so + performance is hampered.
+1 to that. Most experienced/sensible riders ride with two fingers on the front brake lever. Heel on the foot peg with the ball of the feet just beside the rear brake pedal. Much easier to land on the brake pedal than by keeping the feet under it. In all probability, the brake light switch would've been set to "too sensitive" (or even jammed), hence the brake light would've been constantly on.

If it was neither and if he was riding the brake - then it justifies anybody's annoyance.
Old 14th January 2012, 12:27   #3470
BHPian

I was on my way to work at 7:15 in the morning in a volvo bus. I got the single seat right infront on the left side, from where I can pretty much see what the driver is upto. The bus starts normally, the conductor finishes collecting money from passengers and comes and leans against the door of the drivers *cabin*.So he is facing the exit door. He takes out a news paper and starts reading it.

now the brilliant bus driver gets an idea that he can multitask. Read the paper with one eye (by turning his head left) and drive with the other. Now we all know this doesnt really work in reality with the lives of 30odd passengers in his hand (and many other motorists/pedestrians on the road).

I mean seriously, the paper is not running anywhere. Its not like news are based on first come first serve basis! I was about to say something when luckily someone wanted to get down so he came and asked the driver to stop the bus. More passengers entered resulting in the conductor leaving his position.

I am pretty sure this classifies as 'Bad Drivers-How do you spot'em!
Old 14th January 2012, 17:47   #3471
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by superutp View Post

now the brilliant bus driver gets an idea that he can multitask. Read the paper with one eye (by turning his head left) and drive with the other. Now we all know this doesnt really work in reality with the lives of 30odd passengers in his hand (and many other motorists/pedestrians on the road).

I am pretty sure this classifies as 'Bad Drivers-How do you spot'em!
The Top Gear Christmas Special controversies on pg. 10 TOI are much too hard for anyone to resist!
Old 14th January 2012, 21:56   #3472
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by YC.BALENO.CHD View Post
Learning to drive/ride at Chandigarh had always been considered to be a boon by me. The well organised and law abiding traffic made me feel comfortable when driving/riding at different parts of the country. The disclipline that the city taught me prevented me from following the herd and acting like them, even at places with pretty bad traffic. Suddenly, I feel there is a bad side of being too disciplined. Has been more than 3 months since I have been riding in Pune and till date I must hot have had come across more than a dozen drivers/riders who DO NOT use high been unnecessarily. It baffles me to see almost everyone not aware of this very basic traffic etiquete. I wonder if the high bean is being used on a regular basis, is the normal beam being put to use as pilot lights? I so wish I had grown learning to drive/ride here in Pune instead. That way, maybe I would have been used to this strange phenomenon and these stupid road users would not had blinded me with their high beams.
There is couple of things more. First is the way one is taught to drive and the second is the humility and modesty one acquires as he grows. Driving with high beams without caring for the other road users is arrogance at its best. Take the case of Kerala with almost 100%, literacy drives on high beams, You can call it Macho-ism, false ego et al. I hate habitual high beamers.
many guys even drive with one head lamp in high beam when the other bulb's high beam has conked off without preferring to drive in Low beam.w

Last edited by rajeev k : 14th January 2012 at 21:58.
Old 16th January 2012, 21:06   #3473
BHPian

Do you send your children to school in an Autorickshaw ??? Beware ! This is how they travel. Packed to overflowing capacities, overtaking though the left and squeezing past traffic signals and cutting across zebralanes. Spotted at the junction near Manipal Center in MG road, Blore.

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-img00780201201091524.jpg

Spotted at the junction just after Elevated Highway on Hosur road. This guy comes winding through the left, and decides to take a U turn. Well assisted by the traffic cop there, resulted in a pretty decent wait for all others, though the signal was green.

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-img00781201201091822.jpg

Mera Parking is mera parking, Tera Parking is also mera parking

Spotted at a client location in Guindy Chennai.

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-img00783201201101732.jpg
mannubhai is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th January 2012, 22:49   #3474
Senior - BHPian

Found many bad and dangerous drivers and clicked. The danger level in the second picture is of a high magnitude.
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-bd1.jpg  

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-bd2.jpg  

Old 17th January 2012, 18:41   #3475
Distinguished - BHPian

Many bad drivers spotted in just two clicks

1) This is or "was" a footpath. Now I see almost 4-5 cars parked here.

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-img01267201201141626.jpg

2) Am right on the edge of the lane (see the mark between my car and the bus). This particular section is always held up due to roadworks. See what the bus on the wrong lane is doing. The best part -> See the car. Belongs to the High court Judge/registrar. I have seen this car break the law N number of times. Thanks to these guys, the traffic was held up even longer. Also there are two more buses behind the car. So that makes 4. Cops stop cars when they do that but was amazed to see the cop do nothing when I passed him. BAD DRIVERS and A VERY BAD COP!

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-img01268201201171738.jpg

Last edited by Vid6639 : 18th January 2012 at 07:08. Reason: Pls. avoid typing in caps.
Old 17th January 2012, 20:04   #3476
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post

The footpath is quite wide, some of the roads in Pune are not that wide. I guess the cars are trying to make optimum use of the spare space.

2) Belongs to the High court Judge/registrar. I have seen this car break the law N number of times. Thanks to these guys, the traffic was held up even longer. Also there are two more buses behind the car. So that makes 4. Cops stop cars when they do that but was amazed to see the cop do nothing when I passed him. BAD DRIVERS and A VERY BAD COP!

Is there any Traffic Police FB page where this can be uploaded? Not sure any action will be taken considering it is a high court car. But just to do our duty as a citizen of posting the offenders pics.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 18th January 2012 at 07:08. Reason: Removing bold quote.
Old 17th January 2012, 20:13   #3477
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwlele View Post
Is there any Traffic Police FB page where this can be uploaded? Not sure any action will be taken considering it is a high court car. But just to do our duty as a citizen of posting the offenders pics.
Nope, there isnt anything like Blore Traffic police page where they upload the pics. To be frank, I have seen many high court cars, govt vehicles breaking the law. Ok, it might be urgent but many times I have seen just the driver inside.
Also, I know this car was heading back home because I see it almost everyday since I take this route back home.

I will definitely post these on the net. Let me see whether we have anything around. I will have many pics of govt vehicles breaking the law. I will upload them.
Old 18th January 2012, 05:36   #3478
BHPian

Not to mention the dark tints used in the car pictured above. Almost all the high officials put very dark tints in their cars (official cars?) which is illegal.

- Jose.
Old 18th January 2012, 07:53   #3479
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post

Attachment 872964

2) Am right on the edge of the lane (see the mark between my car and the bus). This particular section is always held up due to roadworks. See what the bus on the wrong lane is doing. The best part -> See the car. Belongs to the High court Judge/registrar. I have seen this car break the law N number of times. Thanks to these guys, the traffic was held up even longer. Also there are two more buses behind the car. So that makes 4. Cops stop cars when they do that but was amazed to see the cop do nothing when I passed him. BAD DRIVERS and A VERY BAD COP!

Attachment 872965
Good work Naveen. I think we can teach this guy a harsh lesson if escalated to proper levels. How about forwarding to this guy? Kochi City Police
Old 18th January 2012, 14:09   #3480
Senior - BHPian

Had decided earlier not to post this picture on the Bad Drivers thread as there were too many instances of it, but i guess this would help some folks driving on that highway to be better prepared for such an eventuality.

These folks come in all shapes and forms, in all lanes (leftmost to rightmost, to shoulder), can come in various speeds etc etc. Please be careful. This is on NH7 between BLR-HYD and also found similar instances between HYD-NHP of NH7.

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-bad-driver.jpg

Last edited by mayankjha1806 : 18th January 2012 at 14:11.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks