Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 27th March 2012, 08:34   #3676
BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

For all my 2 cents

why do we compare a car audio with the earphone. Infact in the new gen earphones there is voice enhancement and noise cancellation features.

Moreover as a member of this community we do to a quite significant extent know the limits to which we can allow ourselves.
Am not in complete agreement that volumes in a earphone with helmet on will equate to a car cabin. The main factor being the NVH in a car is cut off but not so in a helmet usage on a bike,coupled with the wind resistance effect sound will travel in less clarity.

Cheers
Prasad

Last edited by Dieseldunk : 27th March 2012 at 08:35. Reason: will
Old 28th March 2012, 00:38   #3677
Senior - BHPian

Is block up shifting of gears a bad practice? I sometimes have found its simple to upshift from 3rd to 5th by maintaining the rpm. Is that a bad practice. Do we save or lose FE and will it hurt the car?
Old 28th March 2012, 16:50   #3678
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo
Is block up shifting of gears a bad practice? I sometimes have found its simple to upshift from 3rd to 5th by maintaining the rpm. Is that a bad practice. Do we save or lose FE and will it hurt the car?
I do the same for my highway trips. What i figure is while slowing down from high speeds, if we downshift completely to 1 or 2nd gear from 4th or 5th, if theres no problem in that then I dont think there would be problem with block up shifts. Hope you getting my point
Old 28th March 2012, 16:57   #3679
Team-BHP Support

Don't worry. You're good.

But don't try this in crowded city conditions, especially if it's a recent thing. Highways are the best place to try it out.
Old 28th March 2012, 18:18   #3680
Senior - BHPian

See the exploits of this bad driver, driving merrily at 70KMPH through the wrong lane. God saved him and others.
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-1.jpg  

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-2.jpg  

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-3.jpg  

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-4.jpg  

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-5.jpg  

Old 28th March 2012, 19:21   #3681
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
See the exploits of this bad driver, driving merrily at 70KMPH through the wrong lane. God saved him and others.
But why???? The correct side of the road has no traffic? Is it because he wants to take some right turn in between and that is not possible if he is on the correct side of the road?
Old 28th March 2012, 19:58   #3682
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwlele View Post
But why???? The correct side of the road has no traffic? Is it because he wants to take some right turn in between and that is not possible if he is on the correct side of the road?
I guess that is the reason (or he might have got in onto the wrong lane from a bylane and did not want to go in the opposite direction of his intended direction of travel to take a u-turn. This is a very common scene all over TN on the divided 4 lane highways. Not too sure if this picture is also from around TN.
Old 28th March 2012, 20:07   #3683
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Pathetic prat. And doubly ignorant, because they are back-to-front: the points of a bull's horns point backwards, it does the damage by charging with its head down and bringing its head up.

ok, ok, I admit it: I'm the ignorant one! I saw a cow today with horns pointed just like the ones on that vehicle.

So, I'm an idiot. But not so big an idiot as to put such weapons on the front of my car.
Old 28th March 2012, 21:15   #3684
BHPian

You often see these kind of weirdos near Kolhapur. I have seen so many of these on the Expressway. Yes, these drivers do these to avoid going the extra distance on the right side of the road. I have even seen fully-oaded trucks doing this. I guess its just a matter of when and how these people would understand how dangerous doing so is to themselves and others on the road.
Old 28th March 2012, 21:23   #3685
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwlele View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil View Post
I guess that is the reason (or he might have got in onto the wrong lane from a bylane and did not want to go in the opposite direction of his intended direction of travel to take a u-turn. This is a very common scene all over TN on the divided 4 lane highways. Not too sure if this picture is also from around TN.
This is a scene from the Mangalore Udipi stretch of the NM 17.He came in the same lane took a turn and went the way he came and I saw him cruising merrily for more than a Km.
Whether he wants to go to a bylane or came out of it are not reasons enough for justifying this wrong doing.
Old 28th March 2012, 21:26   #3686
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
This is a scene from the Mangalore Udipi stretch of the NM 17.He came in the same lane took a turn and went the way he came and I saw him cruising merrily for more than a Km.
Whether he wants to go to a bylane or came out of it are not reasons enough for justifying this wrong doing.
Nothing justifies what he did. But it is very common especially in places where a 2 lane highway has been converted to a 4 lane highway (people slowly forego this practice after they see accidents and the danger in doing this). The GQ is the best example for this problem.
vineethvazhayil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2012, 22:03   #3687
Distinguished - BHPian

This is no 2-lane road converted to 4-lane road...saw this 10 days back.

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-img_20120318_183603.jpg

This useless fellow driving an Omni came out of the fuel station(Devegowda fuel station) on the right and put his car on the wrong side.
He wanted to cross the signal and take a right...The horrifying part which is not visible in this photo is that he was there even when traffic was coming from the opposite side.
All people coming from the opposite side, gave a mouthful to him and I was liking it...they saved my energy.
Do these people keep their brains at home???
Old 30th March 2012, 12:31   #3688
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
This is no 2-lane road converted to 4-lane road...saw this 10 days back.

This useless fellow driving an Omni came out of the fuel station(Devegowda fuel station) on the right and put his car on the wrong side.
He wanted to cross the signal and take a right...The horrifying part which is not visible in this photo is that he was there even when traffic was coming from the opposite side.
All people coming from the opposite side, gave a mouthful to him and I was liking it...they saved my energy.
Well i doubt they keep them at home as you keep something if you have one, see this quite often in Bengaluru, even done by some well educated looking folks as well.

As they say Common Sense is very uncommon among common people
Old 30th March 2012, 13:01   #3689
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
The horrifying part which is not visible in this photo is that he was there even when traffic was coming from the opposite side.
Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
Well i doubt they keep them at home as you keep something if you have one, see this quite often in Bengaluru, even done by some well educated looking folks as well.
100% correct. I think every junction with a median in Bangalore sees this kind of circus. Another junction which comes to my mind is at Sagar hospital where one has to turn left from Bannerghatta road to go to Jayanagar. Lot of people come and block the wrong lane, just to push off as soon as the lights go green.

As motomaverick has mentioned, I seriously doubt the existence of brain at all in these situations
Old 30th March 2012, 13:10   #3690
Distinguished - BHPian

That photograph also illustrates what is commonly thought to be sufficient space for bikes. There is hardly standing space there, let alone driving space. Absolutely no margin for error on the part of bikers or bus driver, who would get the blame if anything goes wrong. All for the length of one bus: why not just stay back?

Most Viewed