Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th March 2012, 13:13   #3691
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
That photograph also illustrates what is commonly thought to be sufficient space for bikes. There is hardly standing space there, let alone driving space. Absolutely no margin for error on the part of bikers or bus driver, who would get the blame if anything goes wrong. All for the length of one bus: why not just stay back?
Yeah, specially with Volvo drivers in B'lore when they stop just inches if not cms from the rear bumper, even with a high boot like Manza, i can feel them breathing down my neck
Old 30th March 2012, 16:41   #3692
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
That photograph also illustrates what is commonly thought to be sufficient space for bikes. There is hardly standing space there, let alone driving space. Absolutely no margin for error on the part of bikers or bus driver, who would get the blame if anything goes wrong. All for the length of one bus: why not just stay back?
Well, when you learn to ride a bike in India, you are expected to do all the squeezing in the world, right? After all, it is the fastest point to point mode of transportation available to the common man.. I have seen people squeeze in between my car and the divider, conveniently fold the ORVM and go past.
vineethvazhayil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2012, 17:00   #3693
BHPian

Drivers who don't know the use of high/low beam.
Drivers who have habit of honking for no reason.
Old 1st April 2012, 11:12   #3694
BHPian

Guys

Do you this is the right way to park. Look at the gap that is there between the wall and the swift in the first pic and look how close he is to line in the second pic.

The third pic shows how i have parked my car , you can see the gap between the wall and the car as well as how well i have parked within the line.

I have told this driver several times to park it a bit closer to the wall but he never seems to listen with the way he parks because i am not able to open my right side OVRM. Also it is a bit difficult to take out as well as park my car. The other day i tried parking the alto very close to the wall so that he would be forced to move closer to the wall but when i was washing my car the next day i saw some slight scratches on the rear right side area above the wheel. Was not able to give him a piece of me as I dont know whether this was done by that guy.

Since my car(Polo in the above pic) is a new one i am not able to take the risk of parking it closer to the line. From the above pics it might not seem wrong with the way the swift is parked but if you see it in person there is a lot of gap between the wall and the swift. Initially i used to tell him almost daily to park it within the line. I dont know whether this has frustrated him. Some times he used to tell that because of some mental stress he parks it like that. If it is the stress then let him go and bang his head on the wall why should he cause trouble to others. He has got 15 yrs of driving experience Lol.
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-20120320-07.27.31.jpg  

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-20120320-07.27.03.jpg  

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-20120320-07.26.45.jpg  

Last edited by bblost : 1st April 2012 at 13:22.
Old 1st April 2012, 12:50   #3695
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

This is a common sight on many roads, especially on this one - the NGEF Road connecting Sadanandanagar/Kasturi Nagar with Old Madras Road. There are a couple of narrow stretches between the Byappanahalli train station/Rear entrance of Metro station and Old Madras road and here is a sample of what usually happens:

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-ngef-road1.jpg
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-ngef-road2.jpg
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-ngef-road3.jpg
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-ngef-road4.jpg

As you can see here, the Autos, 2 wheelers and commercial vehicles do not think that any rules for driving on the wrong side and obstructing oncoming traffic apply to them ! Seconds later, the 2 wheelers actually brought traffic to a complete standstill by blocking a KSRTC bus coming in the opposite direction.

Last edited by GTO : 3rd April 2012 at 08:42. Reason: As requested
Old 1st April 2012, 14:05   #3696
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishnu.csk View Post
Guys
Do you this is the right way to park. Look at the gap that is there between the wall and the swift in the first pic and look how close he is to line in the second pic.

The third pic shows how i have parked my car , you can see the gap between the wall and the car as well as how well i have parked within the line.
From the third pic, I think your problem will be solved if you park your car in reverse.
Old 1st April 2012, 14:28   #3697
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
From the third pic, I think your problem will be solved if you park your car in reverse.
StarrySky

I have parked couple of times like that. But i guess this is more comfortable because the space is very less and it takes a lot of judgement to park it in reverse.
Old 1st April 2012, 18:48   #3698
BHPian

Quote:
Guys

I have told this driver several times to park it a bit closer to the wall but he never seems to listen with the way he parks because i am not able to open my right side OVRM. Also it is a bit difficult to take out as well as park my car. The other day i tried parking the alto very close to the wall so that he would be forced to move closer to the wall but when i was washing my car the next day i saw some slight scratches on the rear right side area above the wheel. Was not able to give him a piece of me as I dont know whether this was done by that guy.

Since my car(Polo in the above pic) is a new one i am not able to take the risk of parking it closer to the line. From the above pics it might not seem wrong with the way the swift is parked but if you see it in person there is a lot of gap between the wall and the swift. Initially i used to tell him almost daily to park it within the line. I dont know whether this has frustrated him. Some times he used to tell that because of some mental stress he parks it like that. If it is the stress then let him go and bang his head on the wall why should he cause trouble to others. He has got 15 yrs of driving experience Lol.
Is it possible for you to reverse and put your car?
That way you need not worry about entry/exit to your driver side.
As a bonus you can easily see how close you are to the wall when parking in reverse.
racer_m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2012, 20:31   #3699
BHPian

Racer_m

It's a bit difficult but probably I should try parking in reverse as you and Starry said. But at the same time i dont find any issues parking it like this.

But is it possible for him to move a bit closer to the wall.That's my main concern. Racer_m instead of quoting your message I created a new reply.

Last edited by vishnu.csk : 1st April 2012 at 20:44.
Old 1st April 2012, 23:11   #3700
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
This is a common sight on many roads, especially on this one - the NGEF Road connecting Sadanandanagar/Kasturi Nagar with Old Madras Road. There are a couple of narrow stretches between the Byappanahalli train station/Rear entrance of Metro station and Old Madras road and here is a sample of what usually happens:

Attachment 910046
Attachment 910047
Attachment 910048
Attachment 910049

As you can see here, the Autos, 2 wheelers and commercial vehicles do not think that any rules for driving on the wrong side and obstructing oncoming traffic apply to them ! Seconds later, the 2 wheelers actually brought traffic to a complete standstill by blocking a KSRTC bus coming in the opposite direction.
hey before clicking the pictures of others please make sure that you are not the one who is wrong. From the first picture it is evident that you were following the traffic on the wrong side but then decided to cut in. Guess the guy behind you whom you cut in must be uploading your picture right now.

Last edited by GTO : 3rd April 2012 at 08:43. Reason: Quoted post has been edited
S2!!! is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st April 2012, 23:50   #3701
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post
hey before clicking the pictures of others please make sure that you are not the one who is wrong. From the first picture it is evident that you were following the traffic on the wrong side but then decided to cut in. Guess the guy behind you whom you cut in must be uploading your picture right now.
traffic flows in two lanes on left and one (oncoming) on right from where NPV is positioned. where he's taken that first picture the road curves to the right (sort of 90 degrees) and he's very much in his lane.

i advise you to refrain from passing unnecessary comments if you're not aware of the circumstances and/or are not familiar with the area.

Last edited by IronH4WK : 1st April 2012 at 23:57.
IronH4WK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2012, 00:19   #3702
BHPian

Quote:
Racer_m

It's a bit difficult but probably I should try parking in reverse as you and Starry said. But at the same time i dont find any issues parking it like this.

But is it possible for him to move a bit closer to the wall.That's my main concern. Racer_m instead of quoting your message I created a new reply.
Well 3 points from my side.
1. you dont find the whole process of parking into a narrow spot then crawling on the the co-drivers seat to get out wierd?
2. From the pics I do see the swift guy actually using his ORVM as a guide to keeping the space(its extended) compared to your side(you keep your mirror folded i guess). Maybe this is the reason he uses more space than you. You can approach him and tell him to fold the mirror when he makes an entry
3. Lastly there is little you can say when he actually is not crossing the line. He is well withing his rights to use up every inch of estate, as long as he does not encroach up on your space.

Last edited by racer_m : 2nd April 2012 at 00:23.
Old 2nd April 2012, 06:35   #3703
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post
I was very much in the correct lane and did not cut anyone off. I don't think you are aware of this road (I was at the 90 degree bend).

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
traffic flows in two lanes on left and one (oncoming) on right from where NPV is positioned. where he's taken that first picture the road curves to the right (sort of 90 degrees) and he's very much in his lane.

i advise you to refrain from passing unnecessary comments if you're not aware of the circumstances and/or are not familiar with the area.
Thanks ze H4WK for rightly pointing that out !
Old 2nd April 2012, 09:40   #3704
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_m View Post
Well 3 points from my side.
1. you dont find the whole process of parking into a narrow spot then crawling on the the co-drivers seat to get out wierd?
2. From the pics I do see the swift guy actually using his ORVM as a guide to keeping the space(its extended) compared to your side(you keep your mirror folded i guess). Maybe this is the reason he uses more space than you. You can approach him and tell him to fold the mirror when he makes an entry
3. Lastly there is little you can say when he actually is not crossing the line. He is well withing his rights to use up every inch of estate, as long as he does not encroach up on your space.

That's right only if he crosses the line probably i can raise my voice till then i guess there is no other option.
I have told him about that but as you said he is using it as a guidance which i cannot complain.

This guy can even park with his right OVRM closed as its much easier for him to just peep out and check the gap. If you see from the third picture i have closed my left OVRM while parking as i can judge the distance from the wall easily.

Last edited by vishnu.csk : 2nd April 2012 at 09:52.
Old 2nd April 2012, 10:01   #3705
Senior - BHPian

Mobile phone are as usefull as its a nuisance sometimes when you are using it while riding or driving, specially when people use it while riding, neck bent to one side without a helmet.

Yesterday morning, i had a scare from these riders, it was under the Agra flyover going towards Marathalli, at the point after the bus stop where the road narrows to one lane, one biker dude merrily talking on the phone just came into my lane and brushed against the left side of the car, honked loudly and the dude realized that something has happened, and glares at me

When i had the chance stopped the car to check the damage but kudos to Tata for an excellent paint job, not even a scratch

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks