Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 9th April 2012, 13:50   #3751
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeWizard View Post
And guess what, when I honked loudly 3-4 times, his wife or girlfriend who was riding pillion looked back at me and gave an angry look
Probably she was the one giving him directions You got an angry look just by honking. Imagine the poor biker's plight had he disobeyed her

But I have had it with bikers who come up parallel to the car and then start inching their way into your lane, expecting you to perhaps shrink and make room for them.

And while on the subject of bikers, why do they have to occupy 2 out of 3 lanes on the wide stretch of Bellary road and ORR is beyond me.
Old 9th April 2012, 14:17   #3752
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Probably she was the one giving him directions You got an angry look just by honking. Imagine the poor biker's plight had he disobeyed her

But I have had it with bikers who come up parallel to the car and then start inching their way into your lane, expecting you to perhaps shrink and make room for them.

And while on the subject of bikers, why do they have to occupy 2 out of 3 lanes on the wide stretch of Bellary road and ORR is beyond me.
Lol this is nothing. Once i was driving at 11:30pm. It was a single lane road and there was a white activa with a 24-25 yr old couple coming behind me too fast. Obviously, the rider wasn't wearing a helmet. I stopped at an intersection because the signal turned red. The mad activa guy was about to bang into me but swerved to the side. Then the activa guy came close to the car and the girl who was riding pillion knocked on the front passenger side window and said something, which i didn't hear
After the intersection the activa guy was purposely riding too slow right infront of my car and wasn't letting me overtake. I honked 3-4 times but kept my cool and i couldn't even overtake because it was a single lane road. It is because of such people that road-rage cases are rising.
Old 9th April 2012, 20:16   #3753
Distinguished - BHPian

I came across this video on facebook! Since it is in Malayalam, I can give a hint of what is shown in the video.

The little girl is appreciated of her talent to ride bike in the busy roads and the narrator goes all the way to applaud the girl saying she is ONLY 10 years old and still capable of this!

I can only wonder what a stupid move is this by shooting the video on the roads [FYI, this is a 2 lane national highway]. If they really wanted to showcase the talent, the video could have been shot in an empty playground! THUMBS DOWN from me for this video! Unfortunately, this is my home town too!

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 9th April 2012 at 20:20.
Old 9th April 2012, 20:18   #3754
Senior - BHPian

sad, but true..

wonder why you charged down the left lane on the down ramp of the BETL (towards Silkboard), overtook me, changed to my lane, then again switched back to the left lane and got stuck in traffic. the funny thing is just before i saw you thundering down the left lane i was thinking to myself thank God didn't spot any speeding BHPains today
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-_mg_5752.jpg

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-_mg_5754.jpg

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-_mg_5755.jpg

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-_mg_5756.jpg

with them Team-BHP stickers on your ride you gotta be extra nice (at least nice) when on the road because you represent this forum and your fellow members.
IronH4WK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th April 2012, 20:24   #3755
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
...wonder why you charged down the left lane on the down ramp of the BETL (towards Silkboard), overtook me, changed to my lane, then again switched back to the left lane and got stuck in traffic. the funny thing is just before i saw you thundering down the left lane i was thinking to myself thank God didn't spot any speeding BHPains today
Doubt! I see in the first pic that the car has ample space between you and the car in the front which makes me think the lane change maneuver was not really a risky affair! Or is there anything that's missing in the pictures? Just trying to understand what is really faulty so that at least I can avoid such things in future!

I am a guy who is forced to change lanes a lot, when I am on a highway, but I never do close shave maneuvers. But if I can get some tips on improving it, I would not mind!

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 9th April 2012 at 20:25.
Old 9th April 2012, 20:39   #3756
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Doubt! I see in the first pic that the car has ample space between you and the car in the front which makes me think the lane change maneuver was not really a risky affair! Or is there anything that's missing in the pictures? Just trying to understand what is really faulty so that at least I can avoid such things in future!

I am a guy who is forced to change lanes a lot, when I am on a highway, but I never do close shave maneuvers. But if I can get some tips on improving it, I would not mind!
the car was speeding on BETL where the posted speed is 80kmph. there were 2-3 cars behind me who were holding the stipulated speed limit. the Palio overtook them all from the left lane (and a two wheeler on the left lane IIRC) and came in front of me and started fill-in-the-blanks driving. not only that, this happened on the down ramp where one has to decelerate (because there is traffic joining from left side below), not accelerate.

i seriously hope it was not an attempt to get spotted!

edit: it doesn't give me pleasure posting this here, but if acts as a deterrent, this post has served its purpose.

Last edited by IronH4WK : 9th April 2012 at 20:55.
IronH4WK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2012, 08:32   #3757
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
sad, but true..

wonder why you charged down the left lane on the down ramp of the BETL (towards Silkboard), overtook me, changed to my lane, then again switched back to the left lane and got stuck in traffic. the funny thing is just before i saw you thundering down the left lane i was thinking to myself thank God didn't spot any speeding BHPains today
with them Team-BHP stickers on your ride you gotta be extra nice (at least nice) when on the road because you represent this forum and your fellow members.
I am unable to understand the whole intent of this post!

Changing lanes is one which is normal and then cutting off someone while changing lanes is another. I see that you mention he did the most common thing of changing lanes and then while he was stuck in a different lane he sticked to that rather than jumping back to your lane which I think is good enough!

Speeding BHPians, yes there are many and most of us who rant dont care to look at the speed limits on the highways or even try to follow it. The cruising speed for most are between 100-120 which is not the speed limit you could get to see everywhere atleast in KA/TN/KL states!

Its great if you do follow speed limits wherever you drive, but then the Palio driver aint bad driver is my opinion!

I wont call the Palio a bad driver yet!
anachronix is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th April 2012, 10:19   #3758
BHPian

Quote:
the car was speeding on BETL where the posted speed is 80kmph. there were 2-3 cars behind me who were holding the stipulated speed limit. the Palio overtook them all from the left lane (and a two wheeler on the left lane IIRC) and came in front of me and started fill-in-the-blanks driving. not only that, this happened on the down ramp where one has to decelerate (because there is traffic joining from left side below), not accelerate.

i seriously hope it was not an attempt to get spotted!

edit: it doesn't give me pleasure posting this here, but if acts as a deterrent, this post has served its purpose.
IronH4WK, Can i ask a stupid question (since i dont know the situation)? If the palio guy was overtaking you and 2-3 cars behind you from the left lane, it means the left lane was empty. Then, why were you guys in the right lane?
D-nav is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th April 2012, 11:30   #3759
Senior - BHPian

i was just wondering why no kolaveri di

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
I am unable to understand the whole intent of this post!

Changing lanes is one which is normal and then cutting off someone while changing lanes is another. I see that you mention he did the most common thing of changing lanes and then while he was stuck in a different lane he sticked to that rather than jumping back to your lane which I think is good enough!
right lane > left lane > overtake three cars and a bike on the left lane > switch to right lane > *ooh, there's little extra space on the left lane* switch to left lane > try to switch back to right lane, but can't because there are cars in the right lane (including me) > get stuck in traffic > duh!

yep, he didn't do anything wrong; this is our typical India driving style.

oh, did i mention overtaking is prohibited on BETL?

Quote:
Its great if you do follow speed limits wherever you drive
yes, i do. the instrument cluster is kinda in-your-face; hard to miss.

Quote:
I wont call the Palio a bad driver yet!
when would you? when he's mowed down a few people and the pictures end up in the Accidents in India - PICS thread and people post RIP messages?

i've been almost hit/run over by folks like the red Palio fella on the BETL (one of them being a certain BHPain) and as a two wheeler rider and a four wheeler driver using the BETL for my daily commute, i would certainly appreciate if such people stay off the adrenaline. nobody's above the law - not even BHPains
Old 10th April 2012, 11:53   #3760
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
i was just wondering why no kolaveri di
No kolaveri mate, just sharing my opinion from how I see it based on the pictures and details you posted!

Quote:
right lane > left lane > overtake three cars and a bike on the left lane > switch to right lane > *ooh, there's little extra space on the left lane* switch to left lane > try to switch back to right lane, but can't because there are cars in the right lane (including me) > get stuck in traffic > duh!

yep, he didn't do anything wrong; this is our typical India driving style.

oh, did i mention overtaking is prohibited on BETL?
Typical indian driving indeed, while you were safely cruising on the right lane! No problems right!?

Quote:
yes, i do. the instrument cluster is kinda in-your-face; hard to miss.
Like I said earlier, its great if you did!

Quote:
when would you? when he's mowed down a few people and the pictures end up in the Accidents in India - PICS thread and people post RIP messages?

i've been almost hit/run over by folks like the red Palio fella on the BETL (one of them being a certain BHPain) and as a two wheeler rider and a four wheeler driver using the BETL for my daily commute, i would certainly appreciate if such people stay off the adrenaline. nobody's above the law - not even BHPains
Taking it too far too soon mate!
Old 10th April 2012, 12:07   #3761
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Typical indian driving indeed, while you were safely cruising on the right lane! No problems right!?
like i once told someone on this very thread, please don't pass comments if you're not aware of the circumstances and/or familiar with the area.

on the BETL four wheelers are supposed to stick to the right lane while LCVs, buses and two wheelers are supposed to stick to the left lane.
Old 10th April 2012, 12:17   #3762
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
like i once told someone on this very thread, please don't pass comments if you're not aware of the circumstances and/or familiar with the area.

on the BETL four wheelers are supposed to stick to the right lane while LCVs, buses and two wheelers are supposed to stick to the left lane.

Interesting! This is news to me. I dont remember seeing any signboard that says only cars can go in the right lane of the BETL while I was there!

Can you get a picture of this signboard for me please mate!?
Old 10th April 2012, 12:39   #3763
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Interesting! This is news to me. I dont remember seeing any signboard that says only cars can go in the right lane of the BETL while I was there!

Can you get a picture of this signboard for me please mate!?
next time you're on BETL, pay attention to the road - its painted on it
IronH4WK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2012, 12:48   #3764
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
next time you're on BETL, pay attention to the road - its painted on it
Well, next time when I come to BLR

This is a wierd lane rule otherwise!
Old 10th April 2012, 13:51   #3765
BHPian

Quote:
Well, next time when I come to BLR

This is a wierd lane rule otherwise!
Not wierd at all. This is something nice I had witnessed while I was in Delhi. In all the major roads(or all??) the cops had implemented a similar lane (called bus lane) wherein the buses were not supposed to come to the right of the road. The buses were also fitted with speed limiters and max speed was 40 for them. During those days(around 8-10 yrs back) and it was a pleasure driving around with no bus hogging on to the fast lane. Wonder how it is now?

Most Viewed