Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 17th May 2012, 12:26   #3886
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

this woman was trying to turn into 14th Main Indiranagar, which is a one-way street, despite many people telling/gesturing her that she can't pass. i mean, you really gotta be dumb to not make out the road is a one-way!

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-_mg_6300.jpg

even after the motorists telling her not to, she forced her way through and drove in the wrong way!
Old 17th May 2012, 12:35   #3887
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsDoggie View Post
I don't know who is at fault in the picture. But I guess it's your mistake to click the picture while driving.
I agree with Devildoggie’s comment here. Request to all good drivers – please don’t click pictures while you are behind the wheel.
Old 17th May 2012, 12:55   #3888
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK
this woman was trying to turn into a one-way street, despite many people telling/gesturing her that she can't pass. i mean, you really gotta be dumb to not make out the road is a one-way!

even after the motorists telling her not to, she forced her way through and drove in the wrong way!
Been there done that on first day of my vehicle's delivery. My mom gave her an earful though. I stopped my vehicle right on the road till she accepted her fault and moved back onto the main street. What surprised me was the aloofness of that woman as if she is so posh and we people driving hatchbacks belong in slums.
That lady however was in a different car and the incident happened on palace cross road area.
Bangalore never fails to surprise us every single day we are on the road, doesnt it?!

Safe driving and spotting ignorant fools on the roads. Have a good laugh with that.
Cheers

Edit: disclaimer: my attitude of not giving way to people on the wrong side of road extends to both gentlemen and ladies. Please dont misconstrue my above example as being non chivalrous. But i dont tolerate when others dobt realise the problems of fellow road users amd continue to flout traffic rules.

Last edited by Parthasarathig : 17th May 2012 at 13:13.
Parthasarathig is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2012, 13:17   #3889
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
this woman was trying to turn into 14th Main Indiranagar, which is a one-way street, despite many people telling/gesturing her that she can't pass. i mean, you really gotta be dumb to not make out the road is a one-way!
I note its a DL registration car.

In other unrelated terms, if she chose to ignore the one way sign it wasnt because she was only dumb. Some people think they are above the law. It can be termed as arrogance. Happens in all our towns.

The other day, I had to go up the wrong side of a 4 lane road (with dividers) as the road on the correct side was dug up for some pipeline work. The best I could do was turn on the headlights to alert oncoming traffic as there were no barricades indicating this to oncoming vehicles. This stretch is seeing roadwork for the last 10 months or so.
Now a lady driver of an oncoming santro was mighty pissed off that I was driving on the wrong side of the road and made a disgusted gesture. I hope when she went ahead she saw that the road was dug up on my side and there was a diversion board indicating to go up the wrong way.

It looks like we are losing patience and all of us think that every other person is a bad driver. Of course we are not wrong, but there could sometimes be a reason behind the madness.
selfdrive is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th May 2012, 18:53   #3890
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ Is this in Kothrud?

I faced a very similar situation recently. When returning from Goa, near the Mah border on NH17 is a really bad stretch where the Northbound lane is completely a dug-up mess. Only some intrepid truckers were able to take it while the rest of the vehicles were forced to use the oncoming lanes. There was a biker ahead of me and I was following slowly with my headlights on in the daylight as a warning. A hatchback guy ripping the other (correct) way screeched to a halt and abused the heck out of the poor biker. I was signalling to the hatch guy that it was a two-way stretch but he was just getting angrier and angrier so I just sped off lest he target his wrath on me (wifey and kid were in the car )

Felt a little bad being the bad driver for a change but what is one supposed to do in this situation? The authorities have the responsibility of putting up signs- it's a nationa highway after all!
Old 17th May 2012, 19:02   #3891
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
^^ Is this in Kothrud?
yes, I have a location limiter already programmed into me now! Cannot drive more than 6 kms radius away from home.

did you guess that because most Kothrudkars are arrogant? oh, there I go generalising again. Falling in the pit that I warn others about.

I am also unfortunately getting into a habit of not fighting someone else's battles. My own leave me exhausted. I have noted that sometimes both parties turn on the mediator or one escapes leaving the mediator to bear the brunt.

Last edited by selfdrive : 17th May 2012 at 19:05.
Old 20th May 2012, 00:07   #3892
Senior - BHPian

So last night, we were returning back home at 1 30 AM after watching movie. I told my friends its not safe to speed even if you find empty stretch because you don't know what to expect if turn in to a curve.

We were on flyover, going towards Anna nagar. Poonamalle High Rd to Unknown road - Google Maps So you can see its a u shaped curve, My friends were telling me they used to enjoy riding this particular turn on their bikes. I was doing 60Kmph and was on left lane, I turned in to the curve all I could see was a Bullock cart coming towards us luckily for us it was on the right lane. Even though I said to expect the un expected, I never expected this one.

When I am driving on multi lane highway, I always find little uneasy to drive on the rightmost lane when taking blind right handers at considerable speeds, I either slow down(to react faster of any unexpected situation) or take the adjacent lane(to see better). Same reason why I took the left most lane yesterday.

I got a gopro camera, so next time onwards I am planning to film my every encounters with Chennai traffic.
Old 20th May 2012, 03:40   #3893
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
When I am driving on multi lane highway, I always find little uneasy to drive on the rightmost lane when taking blind right handers
Visibility is often a factor in decided road position. It's also easier on you and the car to "straighten out" the curve as much as possible (at least, that's what I was taught).

When travelling with a passenger on a narrow lane, I make sure my passenger knows to shriek out if they see someone ahead on a blind right hander. A non driver may not appreciate the geometry that means they can see the oncoming vehicle before the driver can ... and moments might count for a lot!

A few weeks ago, I was walking up RH High Road, having parked my car in a lane by the flyover. The one-way traffic was coming towards me. A tricycle-cart man overtook me, in the face of the traffic. Moving out into it, he almost pushed a biker against a car, then turned right towards Sanskrit College without taking any notice whatsoever of the fairly quick and thick traffic he was crossing. How that did not cause accidents, I have no idea.
Old 20th May 2012, 09:18   #3894
Senior - BHPian

In Kerala presently roads are getting better by way of a smoother surface. Three layers of bitumen mix are applied with the help of better machinery and needless to say that average speeds have increased so too accidents though not proportionately. One factor behind this is the excessive speeding by immature drivers. And another important aspect is the methodology adopted in resurfacing of the roads. Uniformly thick layers are applied atop the existing roads. No effort has been undertaken to have correct banking and the improper banking thus resulted force the vehicles to under-steer at speeds and this is one causative reason for many accidents.
What I mean is that a good driver has to control his speed w.r.to conditions prevailing and should not unnecessarily speed up seeing the road surface alone.

In other words such blokes are very immature and bad drivers.
Old 21st May 2012, 06:59   #3895

^^^ Agreed. Usually, while driving in Kerala, I don't go above 60kmph unless I'm on a National Highway. My personal opinion is that the optimum speed on our (kerala) roads (considering the condition of the road & the density of traffic) is somewhere between 40 and 50kmph. Anything above these is a gamble.

M_83.
Old 21st May 2012, 12:05   #3896
Senior - BHPian

These days it is a common sight to see bikers crossing the divider and riding on the wrong side, especially if it's not a fast highway.

In some cases, I have seen bikers veering to the other lane for no reason, or maybe just to overtake cars in the proper lane. It can be pretty scary when you are in the right most lane and suddenly you see a biker coming head on! In such cases, either you brake hard and risk getting rear ended or cut abruptly to the left and risk scraping other cars on your left.

What do we do in such cases? For the fault of some other moron biker, our car is at risk. Sometimes, I feel it is better to knock these morons down, but then thankfully better sense prevails.

On one such road, we all were happily driving at around 30 kmph when this bikers decides to overtake us from the wrong side. He was happily riding at 40 kmph and barely avoided a mishap with an auto. And guess what, after all this antics, he actually had the audacity to shout expletives at the poor auto guy.

The same happened with me too. I was driving my Innova and there was an auto to my left. This biker came head on and I was hoping that he would slow down and let me pass (since he is on the wrong side of the road) but he DID NOT! I had no option but to brake and swerve. And guess what, this biker gave me an angry look because I made him slow down...
Old 21st May 2012, 12:13   #3897
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
What do we do in such cases? For the fault of some other moron biker, our car is at risk. Sometimes, I feel it is better to knock these morons down, but then thankfully better sense prevails.
That *is* better sense because I have seen pics of a Bike going through a car's windshield and it is almost always fatal to the car driver as well. Best thing is to brake hard and risk a rear-ending I guess. Doesn't seem fair to swerve blind into left lane and potentially injure/kill an innocent driver.
Old 21st May 2012, 12:21   #3898
Senior - BHPian

Don't have the pictures, as we mortals are much slower on camera as compared to the Hawk.

Saw a Grey swift on Inner Ring road going from Old Airport Road flyover towards Kormangala. Either one of his turn indicators were always on. It was extremely difficult to make out if he is going to take a right or a left, if he is changing lanes to right or left. We kept following him as he had overtaken us with a large HONK and i didn't want to ruffle his feathers any more.

We quietly watched his antics for sometime but then felt he was more dangerous to folks behind him then ahead of him, hence quietly and quickly overtook him and stayed there till Sony World junction, post that no idea where he went.
Old 21st May 2012, 14:47   #3899
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Doesn't seem fair to swerve blind into left lane and potentially injure/kill an innocent driver.
yes, but unfortunately everybody seems to be doing this now. Especially on Law college road which seems to be the place to drive on the wrong side of the road and glare at oncoming drivers who are in the correct lane.

Why dont they just make end to end dividers mandatory at least on such roads. it would be better to jam traffic up than cause unnecessary accidents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
We quietly watched his antics for sometime but then felt he was more dangerous to folks behind him then ahead of him, hence quietly and quickly overtook him and stayed there till Sony World junction, post that no idea where he went.
I dont agree, sometimes its more dangerous to have such people on your tail. However, this may work for you due to some other reason.
I usually let them overtake and proceed on their way to hell rather than risk a rear ending or unnecessarily agitate myself due to their incessant honking/ flashing. Usually they go ahead and get blocked by some signal or some equally useless moron.
when we drive its better to do that according to the road condition than how other morons are doing
selfdrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2012, 14:56   #3900
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
I dont agree, sometimes its more dangerous to have such people on your tail. However, this may work for you due to some other reason.
Agree, its usually safer to be behind, but in this scenario he was not fast enough so as soon as i would come closer to his right side to pass him he would turn right (His intention was not to block me), then i would try the other side and same thing would happen again, or he would come so close that i would abort the passing.

So options were drive behind him at 40 with mostly empty roads, or quickly when an opportunity presents itself pass him.

If i have to describe him in one word i would say he was weird. I have seen folks drive fast, block, make zig/zag moves to overtake, usually they have a goal (generally to go fast and overtake), but this one was totally weird, because i am unable to explain his movements as to Why he was doing it.

Last edited by mayankjha1806 : 21st May 2012 at 15:00.
mayankjha1806 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed