Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th June 2012, 18:35   #3961
BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
The biker gave a thumbs up sign to X driver. Needless to say, X driver was honking away to glory and got glares from umpteen people.
I hope he didnt have a document or two in place and got fined by the cop.
Disclaimer: I was one of the heckling bikers!

These kind of insensitive people need to pay for their behavior, for those who do not mind about fellow beings, this is the only way.
Thumps up to the biker who took the effort.
Old 15th June 2012, 21:47   #3962
BHPian

As we all know we are supposed to stop at a traffic light before the zebra crossing/white line. So as per that, I stop exactly where I should be, while almost everyone goes that extra few feet in-front which will give them an advantage in that hypothetical drag race of the line.

What irritates me more is when these bikers who come from all the way behind, squeeze their way through within mms of other vehicles and nicely go slightly ahead of me and turn in their bike towards my side resulting in them blocking my way. As always, the light turns green, they fail to start on time, or they start at snails place ending in me shuffling lanes to overtake them.

I know its not correct but sometimes I tend to overshoot the line a few feet- well to avoid this and get an head-start on that hypothetical drag race.
superutp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th June 2012, 22:06   #3963
Senior - BHPian

Some bad drivers I have come across.
Sticking within their lane is difficult to too many.
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-bad3.jpg
Some materials are protruding through the left front window of this Omni, but cruising merrily with a why care attitude.
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-bad1.jpg
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-bad2.jpg
Old 16th June 2012, 02:19   #3964
Distinguished - BHPian

I think there is many a time, especially in city traffic, where it is fine to be between lanes!
Old 16th June 2012, 10:23   #3965
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster
Last night around 9 pm on the Pune bypass near Europa Skoda, Wakad, I was tolling along at a fair clip when I am suddenly blinded by some high-intensity high-beams in my RVMs. Quickly dimmed the mirrors and allowed the other guy to overtake. A big white Toyota Fortuner, special number 4444 weaving in and out of traffic like it was a moped!

Gave him a WIDE berth- it's quite obvious from the type, colour and number of the vehicle that its owner is probably very well connected and you don't want to mess with that kind of people. Hope he didn't harm anyone though.
Welcome to a regular day in Delhi sir. Daily I have to make way for 8-10 such vehicles. Sad to see Pune also has caught up. It did not have this menace 10-15 years back.
Old 16th June 2012, 10:23   #3966
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by superutp View Post
As we all know we are supposed to stop at a traffic light before the zebra crossing/white line. So as per that, I stop exactly where I should be, while almost everyone goes that extra few feet in-front which will give them an advantage in that hypothetical drag race of the line.

What irritates me more is when these bikers who come from all the way behind, squeeze their way through within mms of other vehicles and nicely go slightly ahead of me and turn in their bike towards my side resulting in them blocking my way. As always, the light turns green, they fail to start on time, or they start at snails place ending in me shuffling lanes to overtake them.
Brother, make peace with the bikers. Inside the city, under no circumstances can we overtake bikers, they WILL wiggle, squiggle, cut across.So, let them be. Instead make way for them when you stop at a signal and ignore them in general .
There are those who would follow lane discipline and the works and stay behind the line while others who don't. Unfortunately, all fingers are not of the same size.

Alternatively (and I will get slammed for this), when I am not in the mood to entertain these blockers; when the signal goes green,slip the clutch, burn some rubber and make a general din(the screech & fumes): scares the bejesus out of the bikers. At the next signal, everyone makes way!

Caveat : Slipping the clutch to burn the rubber and yet not running over someone, is a complex maneuver and do it at your own risk. It is illegal to do burn outs!
aqualeo2040 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2012, 10:25   #3967
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reswaran
Red Maruti Swift petrol terrrorizing the Varthur Main Road between Kundalahalli and Whitefield.

He's also got a sticker on his rear window that says "Yes it's my fathers road only"
Can you believe that????
For all you know his dad may be the PWD minister or the contractor who built the road.
Old 16th June 2012, 11:46   #3968
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqualeo2040 View Post
Brother, make peace with the bikers. Inside the city, under no circumstances can we overtake bikers, they WILL wiggle, squiggle, cut across.So, let them be. Instead make way for them when you stop at a signal and ignore them in general .
I really do wish all bikers in the city were the wiggle-and-squiggle-and-get ahead types. And I wish they all ride at the highest possible speed. If they all did that, life for us car drivers will be very relaxing - drive steadily and no biker will ever be in your way. They will all cut through and disappear.
At least, that has been my experience.
It is the slow-and-steady bikers who are more dangerous. They are also offended if you want to drive at 50kmph when they are doing 35kmph.
KiloAlpha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2012, 21:32   #3969
Distinguished - BHPian

I have to disagree.

The wiggle-suigglers have to cut across and weave between other drivers. Even if one bunch are ahead, there will be another bunch about to do it to you.

Quote:
They are also offended if you want to drive at 50kmph when they are doing 35kmph.
If the vehicle in front of you is doing 15kph less than you want to do, overtake when it is safe. This applies whether it is a bike or a truck: they are entitled to their piece of road, and you are not entitled to demand that they should not be in your way.

The other side of the coin. of course, is that no driver should block others if they can avoid it. Live and let live
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th June 2012, 00:09   #3970
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
If the vehicle in front of you is doing 15kph less than you want to do, overtake when it is safe. This applies whether it is a bike or a truck: they are entitled to their piece of road, and you are not entitled to demand that they should not be in your way.

The other side of the coin. of course, is that no driver should block others if they can avoid it. Live and let live
Please, allow me to clarify. It is 10:30pm, traffic is light. 3 lanes on each side of the central reservation. Posted speed limit 60kmph. Bike doing 35kmph rides on the lane marker between right-most and middle lane, driving at 35kmph. If I give them the "I am here" honk, they drift slowly to the right, and then to the left, and then give me the middle finger because I seem to have disturbed the peace.

It happens to me twice. Every week day. Sounds like a nice thing, this "live and let live". What is it ?
KiloAlpha is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th June 2012, 15:54   #3971
Distinguished - BHPian

Oh yes, sure!

To be honest, I thought you might mean something like that. I see the same thing on Chennai's 3-lane OMR. If it isn't a bike, it's a mini carrier --- in the right-hand lane.

Whilst the speed limit is actually 40, most drivers exceed that by at least 50%. Leaving aside the rights or wrongs of that, to drive slowly in the right-hand lane on such a road is just dangerous for all.
Quote:
Bike doing 35kmph rides on the lane marker between right-most and middle lane, driving at 35kmph
How about two abreast, chatting!
Old 17th June 2012, 21:57   #3972
BHPian

I was standing in the adyar signal when this stupid cab guy kept honking from behind. The worst part is that the signal was red and he still kept on honking. I got down from the car and shouted at him and this guy said why are you standing . I got furious and said that i cannot move, gave a mouthful and got in my car. God what are these guys up to

Last edited by vishnu.csk : 17th June 2012 at 21:58.
Old 17th June 2012, 22:44   #3973
Senior - BHPian

Yesterday saw many baddies at the Edappally bypass junction. Those guys wanting to turn right go to the left extreme and middle lane and when the light turns green creates all mayhem blocking traffic.
The snap shows one of them.
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-baddie.jpg  

Last edited by rajeev k : 17th June 2012 at 22:49.
Old 18th June 2012, 10:31   #3974
Distinguished - BHPian

The normal traffic during peak hours on 2-way Bannerghatta Road(beyond Meenakshi Temple) near Gottigere Jn. Its really difficult for people who decide to walk in this stretch and for drivers who want to follow the queue.

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-photo0170optimized.jpg

Extreme off-roading by a BMTC bus by challenging the truck and forming a 3rd lane, it doesn't matter for him even if people are standing/walking there.

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-photo0171optimized.jpg

A tempo traveller following the excellent example set by the BMTC bus and soon they create a scenario where no one can move ahead as they all try to enter the regular lane. Peak hours in BG road beyond Meenakshi Temple is a tussle to save your place on the road while trying to avoid losing the paint on your car.

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-photo0172optimized.jpg

Again here BMTC form a lane of their own and others follow,
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-photo0176optimized.jpg

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-photo0177optimized.jpg

Last edited by arun_josie : 18th June 2012 at 10:32.
arun_josie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2012, 10:46   #3975
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
The normal traffic during peak hours on 2-way Bannerghatta Road(beyond Meenakshi Temple) near Gottigere Jn. Its really difficult for people who decide to walk in this stretch and for drivers who want to follow the queue.
So thats what Bannerghatta Road looks like in the morning once the road becomes a two lane road. Luckily for me my journey ends near Mantri Elite, coming from the Bangalore side.

I really hate this concept of how people make their own lanes. One lane roads are converted to three lanes. Buses & other motorists act as though if each time they are not able to squeeze the last drop of lemon juice out of everyone on the road they loose 1 buck from their bank account and also if they are not able to reach their destination 1 sec before everyone else they loose another buck from their account.

P:S Being the excellent spotter you are I am pretty sure you noticed the fake LTD sticker on that DL registered zen

Last edited by khan_sultan : 9th February 2019 at 08:43. Reason: edited quoted post for better readability
superutp is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks