Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th June 2012, 11:17   #3976
BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by superutp View Post
I really hate this concept of how people make their own lanes. One lane roads are converted to three lanes.
This is exactly the same thing that happens every working day at the Big Bazaar - ITPL Road junction (coming from EPIP towards ITPL).

This is basically a two-lane road - left side goes to KR Puram/Hoodi; right side goes to ITPL.

Invariably all the Volvos will be on the LHS to go to ITPL and block the free-left; all the taxi drivers and even private drivers will form a third lane blocking every one else.

And, as usual the lone policeman will be chewing paan at a distant shop oblivious to the chaos.
Old 18th June 2012, 11:28   #3977
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempelhof View Post
And, as usual the lone policeman will be chewing paan at a distant shop oblivious to the chaos.
I thing chewing free paan at some distant shop is far safer option than to try and control the people who believe in "making their own road" and are in huge number and politically well connected too.
Old 18th June 2012, 13:08   #3978

There are many instances in Bangalore I have seen where one rickshaw is giving a "LIFT" to another by the driver of one sticking his left leg out to push the other rick. This just blocks the whole of the two laned road thereby forcing other motorists to do some off roading . When will these rick drivers learn to drive safely .
Old 18th June 2012, 15:08   #3979
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by superutp View Post
I really hate this concept of how people make their own lanes...
I rather like it! I find it incredibly frustrating now, back in UK, the way so much road space is wasted in heavy traffic because everyone stays within their lane markings .

But, and it is a BIG BUT, if it is done without any consideration for others, then yes, it is a disaster.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2012, 16:04   #3980
BHPian

Saw a Black BMW today in Koramangala 1st Block Bangalore. Tried to take a U turn at the Jakkasandra intersection by almost ramming his car into a pulsar waiting in front of the car thereby scaring him to move away, then he found there's not sufficient place to u-turn his car..So took reverse blindly not mindful of the people(me included) standing in the intersection waiting to cross, causing us to move aside to let the maniac go!!! Dont know what he was on..Just because he has a BMW doesnt mean he owns the road

It all happened so fast so couldnt note the registration or take any pic :(
Old 18th June 2012, 21:05   #3981
BHPian

Bangalore traffic police have taken the pain to install traffic cones to instill lane discipline. And what do idiots like the one below do? They just drive over them to gain, perhaps, a foot of additional space.

Name:  ForumRunner_20120618_210414.png
Views: 1172
Size:  582.9 KB
Old 18th June 2012, 23:22   #3982
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
if it is done without any consideration for others, then yes, it is a disaster.
Forming multiple lanes than marked is disaster if it blocks the way of a law abiding carzen.And 99 times out of 100 it is.
Old 19th June 2012, 13:39   #3983
Senior - BHPian

I was approaching the Yash Honda near Kirloskar bridge. Saw a good-for-nothing fellow riding on his bike along side a Zen. He was continuously peeking into the car. On coming closer, saw that a woman was driving with her daughter (to school presumably). And this shameless guy was continuously staring into it while driving .

So I drive my Pulsar up to his back and gave a loud blast of my horns. He looks back startled, and I gesture with my hands, "What are you looking at? Move forward!" He got my message pretty clearly and zoomed away.
_raVan_ is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th June 2012, 13:56   #3984
Team-BHP Support

Another extremely irritating and dangerous habit is to reverse the vehicle when you miss taking an exit or service lane.

I saw an idiotic Santro driver backing the vehicle from the middle of Marathahalli bridge all the way down to Spice Garden bus stop because he had to get on the service road and mistakenly got on the flyover.

So many idiots do this when they get on the wrong wrong at a diversion. Go all the way ahead and turn around - learn the lesson!
Old 19th June 2012, 15:29   #3985
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987
Another extremely irritating and dangerous habit is to reverse the vehicle when you miss taking an exit or service lane.
Few months back I had a similar experience.Only difference being it was my vehicle which got damaged.
It happened on Mumbai-Pune express way. It was almost 10 pm and extremely dark. I had just begun on the express way. There were truckers on two of the three lanes and were were not ready to budge. Reluctantly I switched on to the fast overtaking lane. Thankfully the lane was deserted. I was cruising comfortably in speeds around 90 to 100. Suddenly I sense something is moving backwards on the track in very front of me. I sensed danger, slowed down and came to complete stop. I could not swivel to left as the truck traffic was present on the left. I blowed horn, signaled by headlights but to no effect. The moron in the front comes and dashes my Xylo. After confronting the idiot, I find a whole family complete with infants travelling. He said he didn't want to join the expressway so was reversing. No remorse and I give a damn attitude.
It is a foolish habit and could prove fatal.

Last edited by coriollis : 19th June 2012 at 15:33.
Old 19th June 2012, 15:35   #3986
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeantownThinker View Post
Bangalore traffic police have taken the pain to install traffic cones to instill lane discipline. And what do idiots like the one below do? They just drive over them to gain, perhaps, a foot of additional space.

Attachment 943164
When I first saw these lane-markers freshly installed, I knew that it would just be a matter of time before they're mowed down by some idiot, either in a bus or a car, or something.
Old 19th June 2012, 16:18   #3987
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307

When I first saw these lane-markers freshly installed, I knew that it would just be a matter of time before they're mowed down by some idiot, either in a bus or a car, or something.
While I understand that the first couple of cones are bound to get crushed invarianly, the one shown in my photo above was in the middle. This idiot decided to jump the lane midway while waiting at a red signal.
Old 19th June 2012, 16:20   #3988
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Send them to Pune. Here we just take a U-turn and drive in the wrong lane with our high-beams on

Quote:
Originally Posted by coriollis View Post
Suddenly I sense something is moving backwards on the track in very front of me. I sensed danger, slowed down and came to complete stop. I could not swivel to left as the truck traffic was present on the left. I blowed horn, signaled by headlights but to no effect. The moron in the front comes and dashes my Xylo. After confronting the idiot, I find a whole family complete with infants travelling. He said he didn't want to join the expressway so was reversing. No remorse and I give a damn attitude.
It is a foolish habit and could prove fatal.
Reversing on the expressway that too in the FAST lane? What was he thinking? You should have blocked him off and refused to move. But then you's probably only set yourself up to get hurt.
noopster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2012, 16:33   #3989
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
While I understand that the first couple of cones are bound to get crushed invarianly, the one shown in my photo above was in the middle. This idiot decided to jump the lane midway while waiting at a red signal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
How I wish those lane markers were built with industrial strength springs that actually toss such tossers away when they try to run them over. Or perhaps they should be made of really strong magnets that dont allow the car to get away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Send them to Pune. Here we just take a U-turn and drive in the wrong lane with our high-beams on
Oh now come on noop. All roads in Pune are built with service lanes on each side. We have more service lanes than normal lanes. They are just being courteous to us putting their high beams on.
Dont tell me thats not the rule. Something thats been happening for years now, even done by cops without helmets on bikes which have their danda across the handle

Quote:
Originally Posted by coriollis View Post
Few months back I had a similar experience.Only difference being it was my vehicle which got damaged.
It happened on Mumbai-Pune express way. It is a foolish habit and could prove fatal.
Please stop calling it an expressway. Perhaps we should start a campaign to do that first?

Is that rightmost lane not demarcated for water tankers to water plants on the divider? some people who did not know paid the ultimate price last week when they crashed into one of these tankers.

I am glad you were alert enough to notice something backing up. And they were fortunate it was you and not some NWKRTC bus hurtling down the fast lane. No wait, they do that on the middle lane or the left one. Which lane is meant for what on that carriageway anyway?

Last edited by selfdrive : 19th June 2012 at 16:35. Reason: added comment
selfdrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2012, 17:05   #3990
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Let me tell you something that had happened to me a few days ago. I was on MG Road and driving towards Kasturba Road. I was approaching the Jewels De Paragon traffic junction and stuck in a massive traffic-jam. But I kept to the left knowing that most of the traffic would want to go into Cubbon Park or take a right towards Cunningham Road.

I did leave one lane free to my left so that people going left towards Lavelle Road aren't obstructed, and strangely was the rest of the traffic. And then suddenly these lane markers appeared to my left and I found myself driving next to them the very next second. I just continued to crawl forward along with the rest of the traffic, and then soon realized that the one single lane created on the extreme left is for traffic going straight AND left!

I found myself waiting at a red-light while the signal to proceed straight was still green and with just one car ahead of me! I tried honking at the guy ahead and then realized that I shouldn't. I'm in the wrong here. So I just waited it out, watching the green straight arrow till it finally went off about 60 seconds later.

And as soon as it turned red, the extreme left lane which was free this whole time filled up instantly with as many as 5-6 cars and a swarm of two-wheelers that crawled right up to the crossing. Some of them even had the audacity to ride in the left lane and then ride across the crossing and stop their bikes ahead of the right lane, in front of the waiting traffic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
How I wish those lane markers were built with industrial strength springs that actually toss such tossers away when they try to run them over. Or perhaps they should be made of really strong magnets that dont allow the car to get away.
There is something along those lines, and they are called 'Bollards', specifically the retractable types. They are used at toll-booths in several parts of the World, and at gates and entry points. But they're pretty expensive and cumbersome to install. Even though they're relatively strong, I'm not sure if they will be able to take the beating some drivers may dish out. Particularly the BMTC drivers.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks