Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th July 2012, 02:08   #4066
Senior - BHPian

Bad cyclist

Got my car scratched yesterday finally.

Was waiting in traffic. To my left was a car parked with its driver sitting with his door partially opened for better ventilation in the car (it is surprising to see that he was not sitting with the air-con on as today's driver need that luxury while waiting for their sahabs.) So any ways this cyclist comes from the left and the next thing I know was a huge jolt and thud. He did not notice the door open and lost control because of that and deep scratched my left door and banged by left ORVM. He looked really scared and stopped and told me in a shrill voice - "uska gate khulla tha". Had this incident happened a few months ago, this chap would have definitely got slapped by me but instead I just told him to be careful the next time. He was a poor guy, thin, weak-looking and dead scared at that moment.

Thanks to this forum, I have learned to keep cool and do the right thing.
S2!!! is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th July 2012, 15:47   #4067
BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
One more incident involving a biker. This too happened in Bangalore. I now believe Namma Bengaluru is the heaven for all moron bikers. This biker was riding on the left hand side of the road (the road parallel to the golf course, when driving towards brigade road) and I was doing about 60 on the right lane. Suddenly I see this biker cutting across my car from left to right and the best part, slowing down when cutting across. I applied brakes to the best I could, considering I had traffic behind me. Next moment a slight bang sound and my rear bumper hit the biker's rear fender, all because the moron had slowed down considerably. Now the biker fell down and I slowed my car to ask him how he was. His reply was "I am sorry, but I didnt anticipate your car was going this fast" When i asked him why did he slow down? no answer except a sheepish smile!!!!
I think your biker was a newbie driver lacking in experience and confidence. Yesterday on the Delhi ring road I cam across a car driver like that. At a point where traffic from two directions merge, this car kept coming left after merging at a slow speed and went across my path all the way from right to left. I was merging from the other road. It irritated me and I gave a long honk. Later I realised that he must have been a new driver and wanted to go to the safer, slower left lane as soon as possible, and in the process being more unsafe. He lacked the confidence to keep going on the faster lane after merging even though that was the easiest and most natural to do.

The way the biker in your incident misjudged your speed and then slowed down after coming in front of you, and the sheepish smile - all this point to a new driver still trying to come to grips with driving on open public roads.
Old 14th July 2012, 22:37   #4068
BHPian

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-image857267904.jpg

This is the scene at Cadbury junction in Thane. The BEST bus moved in next to the rickshaw and the gap was hardly 3-4 inches. The signal was red at the time.
Old 15th July 2012, 06:16   #4069
BHPian

I can understand vehicles crashing into each other when in motion, but who bangs into a car while parked on the roadside, and then runs away?

Yup, my car got its first dent and a loong scratch!

I had parked it in the side of the road at Palarivattom, in front of Chicking. I had gone out of the car, and after a few mins heard the alarm blaring.

Came out to see a huge scratch on the rear left door and a dent near the fuel tank cap. And the left taillamp was broken as well.

There was an ATM nearby and the security guard there told me that the culprit was an ape. (I mean the Piaggio Ape)

But unfortunately, he couldn't get that fellow's number, so no police FIR.
I do hope I get some insurance.
Speed.Demon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2012, 07:14   #4070
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed.Demon View Post
Yup, my car got its first dent and a loong scratch!
Put up the pics dude. Let's see the extent of the damage.
Old 15th July 2012, 07:29   #4071
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Put up the pics dude. Let's see the extent of the damage.
Here go the pics..

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-dsc01865sma.jpg

This is going to cost a pretty penny..

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-dsc01866sma.jpg

The light had actually broken off.. I got some cellotape from a nearby store to patch it up.

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-dsc01867sma.jpg

Last edited by Speed.Demon : 15th July 2012 at 07:42.
Old 15th July 2012, 11:28   #4072
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa_kiran View Post
Attachment 956682

This is the scene at Cadbury junction in Thane. The BEST bus moved in next to the rickshaw and the gap was hardly 3-4 inches. The signal was red at the time.
You are talking about signals! I have come across this while traveling in these buses. They come close to other vehicles even at some speeds and that scares the hell out of the passengers! The buses come so close to other vehicles that it seems it is going to scratch each other. This is the case with almost all the buses on the ghodbunder road. While I drive, I personally tend to keep as much possible distance from the buses and trucks in this stretch.

Quote:
Here go the pics..

Attachment 956748

This is going to cost a pretty penny..

Attachment 956749

The light had actually broken off.. I got some cellotape from a nearby store to patch it up.

Attachment 956750
Thats bad damage at no fault of yours,
Hope you get some good insurance amount and get your ride back in pristine condition.
Well you should have filed an FIR for unknown person. My car had been scratched in the parking and the MASS told me to file an FIR with the police as they need it for insurance purposes.
Old 15th July 2012, 16:45   #4073
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carzone View Post
Well you should have filed an FIR for unknown person. My car had been scratched in the parking and the MASS told me to file an FIR with the police as they need it for insurance purposes.
Is FIR a mandatory for these kind of incidents? 3 years back I faced a similar issue in my WagonR where the back door and the panel behind that(Just like the one posted by Speed.Demon) got damaged and I didn't file any FIR to get the insurance.
Old 15th July 2012, 17:50   #4074
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
Is FIR a mandatory for these kind of incidents? 3 years back I faced a similar issue in my WagonR where the back door and the panel behind that(Just like the one posted by Speed.Demon) got damaged and I didn't file any FIR to get the insurance.
I am no expert and have posted my experience with MASS. Some child had scratched the door of my car. When asked MASS about the insurance, the person told me file an fir on unknown person and then I can claim for insurance.

Experts would be able to comment better. I have New India Insurance.
Old 16th July 2012, 06:48   #4075
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
Did the MASS guys change the whole back panel or did they weld and repair it?
Old 16th July 2012, 12:53   #4076
BHPian

Bangalore Police has implemented strict Lane Discipline across some major junctions in the city. This is an example of how they implement it.

Location is MG Road- Brigade Road signal. Autos cannot go straight into brigade road, they need to take a right to MG road.

Pic 1 : This auto guy comes in through the left side, barricaded road, only meant for left turn. Now since he cannot go straight, he has to cut across all of us waiting and take a right. He would essentially have to make 3-4 lanes of traffic wait for him to make his turn.

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-img01834201207071954.jpg

Pic 2: Another "gentle"man comes in a two wheeler and tails the auto guy. Now we have 2 smart chaps on the left side mocking all the others ready to wait in que.

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-img01835201207071955.jpg

Pic 3: The auto guy starts making his move, even as the light is still red, cutting across the traffic.

See who is right there !! A traffic cop with his wireless and all, but not even bothered. He just stood and watched as the auto and 2 wheeler took their right turns , and made all others wait in an already messy traffic.

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-img01836201207071956.jpg

Note From Team-BHP Support-Staff: Please avoid using inappropriate language as much as possible. Thanks!

Last edited by suhaas307 : 16th July 2012 at 15:57.
Old 16th July 2012, 13:16   #4077
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannubhai View Post
Bangalore Police has implemented strict Lane Discipline across some major junctions in the city. This is an example of how they implement it.

See who is right there !! A traffic cop with his wireless and all, but not even bothered. He just stood and watched as the auto and 2 wheeler took their right turns , and made all others wait in an already messy traffic.
This can be seen at any signal, auto fellows cutting across or suddenly deciding they needed to go in another direction that intended. These days my temperament has adjusted to this habit quite well as I find it amusing. In fact this lane marking should be at the Bommanhalli signal as most of the traffic wanting to go towards Begur blocks even the lane going straight.
Old 16th July 2012, 14:19   #4078
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Did the MASS guys change the whole back panel or did they weld and repair it?
OT: It was not replaced. But they repaired it in such a way that after the repair work I couldn't find the actual spot that got damaged.
arun_josie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2012, 14:52   #4079
Team-BHP Support

In your Rear View mirror

Bad drivers road the streets of Delhi/NCR day and night.
Keep an watchful eye, lest they scratch your car.

However, a few days back, I realized that some lurk in your rear view mirror.
Last week, Noida got its first monsoon rains.
I was driving to office, in heavy rain, and approaching a green traffic signal.

Then the signal turned yellow. There were 5 cars in front of me, and I left the accelerator, and slowly started braking.

The cars in front speed up, and 2 cross on yellow, and the rest on read, barely avoiding traffic, however, I gently approach the signal and stop. I am not looking in front now, but in the rear. An alto 5 car lengths behind me is speeding up. He is oblivious to my brake lights and is assuming that I will run the light.

As I almost stop, I hear the muted screech of skinny tires on a wet road, I let go off the brakes and roll forward as much as I can go to stop.

The idiot skids and stops 2 inches from the bumper. If the car in front of me had not run the red light, he would have hit us.

Every day at traffic lights I see such idiots. They speed up when light turns red. And guess what if light is green, they slow down and cross like the cows ambling across the road.

Red light is to them what a whip is to a cow. Show a red light, and they run. Since the rains have started I focus more attention to the RVM. You never know when such a cow comes up your tail.
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2012, 15:14   #4080
Senior - BHPian

Re: In your Rear View mirror

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
However, a few days back, I realized that some lurk in your rear view mirror.
I had a near hit yesterday in a similar manner, but reading some posts on this thread (and a hit for a fellow bhpian) saved me a trip to the garage.

The signal had turned amber and I was slowing down to a stop when I check my IRVM mirror that a Swift has just overtaken a PMT bus and is accelerating further toward me. Now I am in the very front near the zebra crossing and there is no way that I can move to the left lane unless my wheels move 90 degrees and I dont trust the Swifts brakes anyway. This guy brakes late, and almost skids on to me. Thankfully there is no impatient person on the roads where it will turn green so I just speed away on the straight while the signal turns red. In essence, I disobey the signal.
In the meanwhile, traffic has moved from my right and left and this Swift guy screeches and skids on the divider and another biker who stopped in the place where I had almost stopped.

I would have been looking at a pointless argument and a visit to the garage if I hadnt noticed this moron. not sure what he was trying to do, but on my way back after about 20 mins the moron was still arguing with the biker and a couple of cops.
of course nobody really cared that I disobeyed the traffic light. except my 6 year old son to whom I had to explain why I did that.

Last edited by selfdrive : 16th July 2012 at 15:17.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks