Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st August 2012, 09:06   #4171

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
While I am at it, can I please request all car drivers who are reading this to be a bit considerate towards other bikers, pedestrians etc during the rainy season?
While I agree in principle that the bigger vehicles (read 4 wheelers) should be considerate towards the smaller ones, but I also believe that the consideration should be mutual. The average biker will not even bother to check behind or beside to see what is coming up & and what speed. The pedestrian would usually believe that riasing their hand gives them the absolute right to cross the road at that very instant, irrespective of how many vehicles coming towards them or at whatever speed .

While I know that in India the general rule of road is that the bigger vehicle is always wrong, I wonder when the bikers / pedestrians would realize that even if the car owner is thrashed out of their wits, the bikers / pedestrians also stand a chance of losing limb & life.

Last edited by noopster : 1st August 2012 at 12:46. Reason: Fixed quote tag
Old 1st August 2012, 12:39   #4172
Distinguished - BHPian

This kid(should be around 10years old or less) is almost sitting on the carrier of the bike without much to hold onto and the stupid adult riding the bike doesn't even want to slow down on speed breakers. Couple of times the kid almost lost his balance and hold from his dad's shoulder but the guy didn't bother about it at all. God save this kid from this irresponsible dad!

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-photo0227optimized.jpg
Old 1st August 2012, 17:02   #4173
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.A.G.7 View Post
It has become a trend in Pune, all 2 wheelers, will go and stand in the oncoming lane of the signal, causing traffic jams. Can't people wait 2 minutes and stay on their own side of the road? Why do they always have to go as much to the extreme right as possible?
Because they are interested in on thing only: being as close to the extreme front of the queue as possible. Taking their turn, or leaving space for others, does not interest them, and, in the process of getting a driving licence, nobody educated them.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st August 2012, 23:54   #4174
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
in the process of getting a driving licence, nobody educated them.
That's the problem! People are more interested in getting a license rather than learning rules and driving properly and correctly!
Old 2nd August 2012, 09:42   #4175
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Because they are interested in on thing only: being as close to the extreme front of the queue as possible. Taking their turn, or leaving space for others, does not interest them, and, in the process of getting a driving licence, nobody educated them.
Even if they were educated or are aware of the traffic etiquette, do you think they will stand in queue? In India, it is infra dig to stand in queue or be courteous to others
mallumowgli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2012, 10:47   #4176
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
in the process of getting a driving licence, nobody educated them.
Yes even the driving schools coach their wards only to pass the driving test alone. Many of the driving instructors in these schools are also very bad drivers themselves.
The training is imparted during day time and etiquette regarding night driving are never even discussed leave alone taught. And that exactly is why we see many new drivers always driving in high beams, they themselves getting blinded by opposing vehicles giving them their medicine back.
rajeev k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2012, 11:03   #4177
BHPian

Have a bunch of bad drivers in my area. During the evening, whenever I want to take my care out, 90% of the times there is a car parked bang in front of my gate. No car can come in the building or get out. Yesterday, when I returned home at 7:30 in the evening, I see a White Innova parked right in front of the building gate. I somehow managed to get my car in by climbing on the footpath a bit. The car was there till around 8:00PM when I saw it last.

There are some traffic police deployed just beside my building and they don't do anything rather that being a witness to the scene. Yesterday, when I complained them about this innova and told them to have it towed, I get a answer: "Sir, this is a big vehicle and hence cannot be towed." I request them to atleast get a wheel lock for the vehicle. They call up the control room and ask for a towing van. Then they helped me get the car in from the narrow gap left by the innova and assure me that they will take a action on the innova driver. At around 8:00PM, when I am walking away from my building, I see the same car pass behind me. For once I thought to stop the car and give the driver a mouthful, but by then the driver had sped off.

At night, around 9:00 PM when I return home again, this time on foot, I see a fortuner parked at same place as the Innova leaving no gap for the building cars to get in or out. A thought crossed my mind of informing the traffic police but then went the other way realizing that there is not much they are going to do about it.

Attaching the pic of the fortuner. This was taken standing at the building gate and the fortuner parked bang in front.

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-01082012237.jpg

Note the sumo standing just behind the fortuner. The driver was sitting in the sumo so didn't tell him to move. He would have moved the car if someone would asked him to do so. This is becoming a regular problem near our society. I would like to request all the T-BHPians to please double check after parking your vehicle near a building gate that it would not obstruct the movement of any other vehicle to come in or out of the gate.

Sorry for the bad quality of pic. This was the best I could manage with my cellphone camera at this time of night.
Old 2nd August 2012, 11:45   #4178
BHPian

^^^Are there any no-parking signs nearby? If not, get building management to get signs made and install outside the premises.

It might not always work but should prove to be a good deterrent.
Old 2nd August 2012, 11:54   #4179
BHPian

The usual idiots I saw this morning!
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-dsc_0090.jpg  

Old 2nd August 2012, 11:58   #4180
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmxylorider View Post
^^^Are there any no-parking signs nearby? If not, get building management to get signs made and install outside the premises.

It might not always work but should prove to be a good deterrent.
There are clear parking zones on both sides of the street. It has odd-even date system. The RTO has started towing the vehicles that are parked on wrong sides, but they tow mostly bikes and some small cars. The big cars cannot be towed, they say. We have "No parking in front of the gates" board installed on the gate to which no one pays heed.

Sometimes during the peak traffic days like Sundays, I have seen many outside two wheelers park in our premises and go off for shopping. As we do not have a permanent watchman, there's no one to stop them. Whenever any member sees such a activity, we take a note that the vehicle has been moved out.

There is no problem during the mornings, but during the evening, the people who come to shop create a problem. Our building being the nearest to main market as well as station makes the matter worse.

In one incident, There was a car (may be Esteem) parked in such a way, that even bikes could not get out of the gate. I waited near the car for around 15 mins. When the owner came, I questioned him for this type of parking and the answer I get is: "I had been just on the opposite side of the street and I saw you near the car and hence I came to check." He meant that he was keeping a watch on his car from the opposite side of the street. I don't know why he didn't come before as I was there for full 15 mins. Moreover he had parked the car in front of the gate even when there was parking available on the opposite side.

Wish people start thinking a little about others convenience.
Old 2nd August 2012, 13:11   #4181
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debcha View Post
While I know that in India the general rule of road is that the bigger vehicle is always wrong, I wonder when the bikers / pedestrians would realize that even if the car owner is thrashed out of their wits, the bikers / pedestrians also stand a chance of losing limb & life.
I agree in principle too. Just that in the rainy season I consider a rashly driven car to be more of a risk than a pedestrian to me. And if I cannot control my vehicle for a pedestrian then I am going too fast for that road anyway. The key issue for me is that momentum cannot be controlled well by a rash driver when conditions are far from ideal. He/ she will end up swerving late or changing lanes and eventually causing an accident somewhere.

As far as discussing pedestrians crossing roads anywhere, that is opening a different Pandora's box. It is just a bit odd that no one is considerate to pedestrians while they will all be on the receiving end when they get out of their cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carzone View Post
Wish people start thinking a little about others convenience.
Have you seen those metal stand like things used in commercial areas by shopkeepers to allow people to walk into their shops between parked two wheelers? I suggest that your society get a couple of them and place/ fix them at the extreme ends of the gate entrance so that these big vehicles cannot steer into that gap.

For outside vehicles entering your building, why dont you just agree to keep the gates closed and any member who enters/ leaves closes the gate behind them? If it were me, outside vehicles would get a wheel lock and a note asking to collect it from the same place next day. Let them do the running around. Nothing like inconvenience to deter them. Especially, if you cannot agree on having a watchman around.

I do understand this is not the solution but only a couple of possible workarounds.

Last edited by selfdrive : 2nd August 2012 at 13:16.
selfdrive is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2012, 00:50   #4182
BHPian

Nowdays, people just want to fulfil their desire of driving a vehicle. They don't bother to learn traffic rules and regulations properly. They will do everything in their power to get the license as early as possible. They don't realise that by doing this, they are not only putting their own life at risk, but also the others who use the road.

Anyway people are not going to change their habit, so its the hands of the enforcement that should act on this. Government should take all possible measures to enforce all the traffic rules efficiently.
junaid12345678 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2012, 08:34   #4183
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by junaid12345678 View Post
Government should take all possible measures to enforce all the traffic rules efficiently.
Not sure about your place, but here, I'm still searching for something that resembles a Government.

As long as the Police cannot control the BMTC (Govt.) Volvo buses, they cannot control anyone else.
Tempelhof is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2012, 09:52   #4184
BHPian

Wondering where these guys want to go. A biker trying to squeeze in between BMTC bus and my car on a red light. Why this hurry, how much difference is it going to make.

And he ended up scratching my front bumper in this process

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-image1705473402.jpg
Old 3rd August 2012, 10:21   #4185
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempelhof View Post
Not sure about your place, but here, I'm still searching for something that resembles a Government.

As long as the Police cannot control the BMTC (Govt.) Volvo buses, they cannot control anyone else.
I totally agree with Temple. Here in kerala, KSRTC buses do the duty of BMTC.
The drivers of these buses believes themselves as 'king of roads'. Nobody
could control them. In case of any accident caused by the mistake of these reckless drivers, the cops will always stand their side to protect them. At last, the entire blame will be upon the second party.

Government is hiking roadtax rate year after year. But the question is what's they doing with the money looted from vehicle buyers?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks