Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th August 2012, 23:40   #4216
BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekm View Post
This post would actually be apt in 'Bad Parents Thread', but since we don't have such a thread on TBHP, I'd rather post it here.
OMG What were their parents thinking ?? The kid who drove the RR is probably of the age of playing with an RR toy not driving it. How come his legs were able to reach the pedals ?? I still am unable to come to terms with it. The worst aspect is he uploads the video on you tube ?? God Bless India.

Note from Team-BHP Support: Please do not quote a large post in its entirety- it inconveniences our mobile and small-screen users.

Last edited by noopster : 9th August 2012 at 10:12. Reason: Refer mod note
Old 8th August 2012, 23:59   #4217
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg
Sir as a kid I used to be one of those 15 odd kids stuffed inside a school van and commute in the horrible Delhi heat. And to add to it those days there were no ACs or inverters.
OK, while I did quote your post, it was not about you. I should have had another "P.S." to clear this, but I missed that. I was just mentioning the general hypocritical attitude we (including me) have. Apologies if you felt it was directed to you - it was not. Same logic is spouted by those that don't wear helmets - hair fall, head sweating, can't hear etc. But anyone that has used helmets knows that these are just excuses. Same goes for those that commute by their own cars with the ability to control the climate inside, but crib about the lack of sun-films burning them.
Old 9th August 2012, 11:59   #4218
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This post would actually be apt in 'Bad Parents Thread', but since we don't have such a thread on TBHP, I'd rather post it here.
I am feeling like using words which I am not supposed to use in this forum. With Power comes responsibility, but with money comes irresponsibility. Here proved in the correct way. Agreed it was a private road but what if they accidentally pedal to metal the V8? will that kid be able to control the power? Can this be forwarded to KL Traffic police and ask them to take action?
Old 9th August 2012, 12:11   #4219
Senior - BHPian

My list of bad drivers below. I am very careful when I encounter these species
1) Dump trucks, either carrying garbage or landfill or sand lorries
2) Old men (new drivers) driving new cars. Tend to be slow in reflexes and can get startled.
3) B.E.S.T buses. Morons in general. Driving standards have degraded to non existant
4) First car/First time driver. Dont ask me how can I spot them. I have almost a sixth sense to this combination. Policy. Avoid Avoid Avoid.
5) Middle aged women drivers or young girls on scootys. Avoid them by 20 meters. Stop if required

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debcha View Post
While I agree in principle that the bigger vehicles (read 4 wheelers) should be considerate towards the smaller ones, but I also believe that the consideration should be mutual.
I agree especially in the rainy season we must be more considerate towards bikers. The idea being, the more manuverable vehicle gives consideration to the less manuverable one. In monsoons, the bikers are at mercy of the rains, waterlogging, dirt and oil, hence we need to give them more warning and more space.

I have observed atleast in Mumbai bikers give ample consideration towards a car, they are very careful not to scratch your doors or mirrors when they are moving past you in traffic. Of course only exceptions to this rule are young women scooty drivers. They take almost a perverse pleasure in banging your mirror when they wobble past.

Last edited by bblost : 9th August 2012 at 12:27. Reason: Please do NOT create back to back posts.
apachelongbow is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2012, 12:45   #4220
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoeingDriver View Post
OMG What were their parents thinking ??
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaKilo View Post
Agreed it was a private road but what if they accidentally pedal to metal the V8? will that kid be able to control the power?
===============

The parents should be tried under endangering 2 kids lives. Its not even about the people on the road. They could have easily lost control and killed themselves. Would the parents who found the thrill in posting it on youtube, be smiling then ?

This to me is child abuse.
mannubhai is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th August 2012, 14:30   #4221
BHPian

Quote:
I am feeling like using words which I am not supposed to use in this forum. With Power comes responsibility, but with money comes irresponsibility. Here proved in the correct way. Agreed it was a private road but what if they accidentally pedal to metal the V8? will that kid be able to control the power? Can this be forwarded to KL Traffic police and ask them to take action?
Well, I don't think that the police will take action, especially since this guy supposedly owns a Bentley and a F430 so must be surely having the right contacts. Money cannot buy common-sense is definitely proved in this case.
prateekm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2012, 16:06   #4222
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow
in the rainy season we must be more considerate towards bikers. The idea being, the more manuverable vehicle gives consideration to the less manuverable one. In monsoons, the bikers are at mercy of the rains, waterlogging, dirt and oil, hence we need to give them more warning and more space.
Most bikers in Chennai never consider "rain and wet roads" as a factor to be taken into serious consideration. Yesterday evening it rained in Chennai quite heavily (by the city's standards) and still most of the Chennai bikers seen on the roads were riding as they usually do - weaving through traffic, cutting off just a feet away from the car's front etc) - some with even women on pillion.
In my 20km commute home, I saw three incidents where bikers skid off the road, resulting in injuries.

BTW, as per stats rolled out on an FM channel yesterday, there were 387 bike fatalities in Chennai last year and guess how many were not wearing helmets? 380 !!!
supremeBaleno is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2012, 19:12   #4223
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Most bikers in Chennai never consider "rain and wet roads" as a factor to be taken into serious consideration.
You spoke my mind. Not just bikes, it includes other motorists too. They dont realize the fact that wet roads mean that the stopping distance reduces drastically. I reduce a good 20 to 25 kmph from my dry surface driving conditions as a personal principle. I also increase the space ahead and give way if some one is tailgating me. Bikers on wet road road (forget speeding) is itself a recipe for disaster. I should also partially blame the government for poor licensing rules. Written exam should be made mandatory before licensing. A simple 100 questions to study inclusive of road conditions, symbols, lane changing, signalling, braking action at various speeds should be made to understand before letting some one sitting behind a wheel. How many drivers are even aware of something called a blind spot ?? I am not saying that by doing all of the above we can completely eliminate accidents (morons will always exist). Atleast if we save 1 life day its 365 lives a year !!
Old 9th August 2012, 19:37   #4224
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Most bikers in Chennai never consider "rain and wet roads" as a factor to be taken into serious consideration.
Most drivers do not.

I wonder, even here... hands up those who know that stopping distance may be as much as doubled on a wet road surface? And drive accordingly?

Anyway, biker encounters from yesterday:

Bad biker overtakes on left and cuts across to take right turn, causing me to slam on brakes.

Good biker overtakes on left, in plenty of time, looks behind him and sees plenty of room, takes right without interfering with anyone else at all.

Oh, ok, the overtakes-on-left thing is not perfect. To be honest, I have completely given up on that one, just as I have given up on trying to stick to the left-most lane myself. On roads like ECR it puts one just too close to the pedestrians and stuff.
Old 9th August 2012, 19:54   #4225
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Agreed it was a private road
I don't think it was a private road, but probably one that doesn't see much traffic.

Quote:
Well, I don't think that the police will take action, especially since this guy supposedly owns a Bentley and a F430 so must be surely having the right contacts.
I heard the owner has not had a happy time with law enforcement lately.
Old 9th August 2012, 19:59   #4226
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Most drivers do not.

I wonder, even here... hands up those who know that stopping distance may be as much as doubled on a wet road surface? And drive accordingly?

Anyway, biker encounters from yesterday:

Bad biker overtakes on left and cuts across to take right turn, causing me to slam on brakes.

Good biker overtakes on left, in plenty of time, looks behind him and sees plenty of room, takes right without interfering with anyone else at all.

Oh, ok, the overtakes-on-left thing is not perfect. To be honest, I have completely given up on that one, just as I have given up on trying to stick to the left-most lane myself. On roads like ECR it puts one just too close to the pedestrians and stuff.
But I am not riding in India any more, otherwise I would surely my hands up to say, I know what the stopping distance thingyy you are talking about.

Riding on the right side: Thankgod for you I am not riding anymore , else you would be honked by me until you move over to the left lane.

OTOH, mostly a biker is forced to overtake from the left, because we are considered inferior by the four wheelers and do not give us the space on the correct side.
Old 9th August 2012, 21:09   #4227
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
honked by me until you move over to the left lane.
And I'd move, too, as long as weren't six inches from my back bumper. I do for any vehicle that politely indicates a desire to overtake, and I especially don't see the point in delaying bikers

Given the choice, I still believe in right-hand overtaking. What I can't stand is left-hand overtaking when there is empty road to the right!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th August 2012, 21:28   #4228
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alstonlobo View Post
Banaswadi flyover in front of Mukund theatre! I guess these pics need to go on BTP FB page too!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
earlier it was just two wheelers; now even cars have started doing this!!
@alstonlobo , IronH4WK

I see these imbeciles everyday when I head back home. If you honk at them to say what they are doing isn't legal their response is - Why do you bother ? Just wait for a few mins and move.

Well when you take the one way in the wrong direction to save your time why shouldn't I think about saving my time has been standard line.

I didn't know there are other BHPian's who are put to hardship on these routes.

Without being motivated to follow the rules I don't think you can in our country. And sometime people following rules are looked upon.

This happens to me everyday at the traffic light just before Big Bazaar on Old Madras Road. It would be red and people honk but i just stay calm till signal turns green.

God please give me the patience to deal with these folks everyday is the only prayer on my lips

Cheers
csateesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2012, 11:01   #4229
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by csateesh
God please give me the patience to deal with these folks everyday is the only prayer on my lips
Indeed! God give me the patience to put up with such morons, coz if you give me strength I might beat the crap outta them!
Old 10th August 2012, 15:24   #4230
BHPian

Some proud parents/relatives would have posted the Evoque vdo.

Its such an achievement, the parents got a wonder kid, who can drive cars at such a small age, that too a huge/expensive one. The kid can go to school and boast about his achievement, RR company can now publicize how easy is it to drive an Evoque, with a tag line "even kids can drive our cars"

Police ? - Well can't even stop auto guys from jumping signals or fleecing, what will they do with RR Evoque ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks