Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th August 2012, 10:44   #4246
BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by carzone View Post
Wish the RTO takes some strict action against this people.
@carzone: I've followed your posts and I think sometimes you have to take things into your own hands. How about your building guys pooling in some money and installing something like this:

KCP Removable Post

These things are removable, so you guys can unlock them and remove them whenever a car passes out of the building. If this seems a little impractical to you, how about hiring a watchman who can shoo these guys away when they want to park?
Old 14th August 2012, 11:14   #4247
Team-BHP Support

@ Partha

I understand your resentment towards these guys. And it's true, some people just don't use their grey-matter when it's required the most. They just behave like zombies when it comes to parking and driving in general. Ambling along on the middle lane swerving ever so slightly. And then parking at the corners of roads and right at the junctions of by-lanes and roads. It's maddening.

But I firmly and strongly believe that egging bonnets / keying doors is not the answer. Why must the car suffer? The man may be an imbecile, but the car is innocent here. It's merely a machine. Imagine if someone were to do that to your car!

Instead, a little note with Rs.10 on the other side should, in all probability, work. If he's got a conscience.
suhaas307 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th August 2012, 11:35   #4248
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikrantj View Post
My collegue got involved in an accident because of these bad bikers. One Pune-Solapur highway a biker cut across their Honda City from left to right to take a U-turn at a "artificial" break in the median. Result of emergency and hard braking their car fell into a ditch on the side of the road leaving her with a punctured lung , FIL with a crushed LHS and MIL expired.
That biker did not even stop to see if they were alive or dead. How do we spot these morons ?
I hope your God gives your Collegue and her FIL a good health soon and the strength to digest the loss. This is simply ridicuolous. I don't they would be in a position to file a complaint, but, a Suo-motto FIR can be filed against unknown bike, if she can identify the make of the bike and colour and some identification about the rider, Police might hunt him down.
AlphaKilo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th August 2012, 13:42   #4249
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307
@ Partha

But I firmly and strongly believe that egging bonnets / keying doors is not the answer. Why must the car suffer? The man may be an imbecile, but the car is innocent here. It's merely a machine. Imagine if someone were to do that to your car!

Instead, a little note with Rs.10 on the other side should, in all probability, work. If he's got a conscience.
You are right. Its not the car's fault. At least every time we park our cars, we see to it that no one gets frustrated with our parking and in turn damage our cars. But these guys have respect for neither man nor machine.

Btw the egging bonnets part was said on a lighter note. In the previous posts the same has been suggested by some bhp-Ian as he has seen some elderly citizen do it(iirc). Even you had felt like running over a biker who almost grazed your left ORVM. But obviously you didn't act on it. Similarly I mentioned "on a lighter note" before the statement. Sorry if everyone felt I was trying to incite violence, whereas most of my posts have been about keeping your calm on the road.

And I doubt if keeping the 10rs note is going to deter such insolent fools. There's a proverb in Hindi. "Kutte ka doom kabhi sidha nahi ker sakte" which translated means A doggy's tail cannot be straightened no matter what. In fact, here they would take it as an incentive and probably tell their wives "Look Honey an idiot put 10bucks on our car. Next time we shall park here itself". Given the mentality of almost every idiot on the road. And these people don't love their vehicles or anything else. They are self centred individuals.

My post was not just about the behavior of these characters on the roads but any public place, whether office, malls and restaurants. I'm sure many of us experience first hand such behaviour every single day. And nowadays if we are sweet to someone they only take advantage of that.

Hardly get the mood to drive because of such people on the roads. Even enjoying a sedate drive on the highways is difficult.

We are a dying breed who actually want to have some one on one lovely time with our machines without the disturbance of such idiots on the road.

Cheers.
Parthasarathig is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2012, 14:24   #4250
BHPian

Quote:
I am happy that I have been educated by my parents and Team-BHP about the traffic rules. Hence, whenever there is no place to park and have to leave the car in such situations, I always ask someone to sit back in the car or I myself stay back.
Wish the RTO takes some strict action against this people.
If your building can have a security, wont that solve the problem ? Than raising your BP on these idiots, it would be some bucks well spend.

IMHO
Old 14th August 2012, 14:32   #4251
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My collegue got involved in an accident because of these bad bikers. One Pune-Solapur highway a biker cut across their Honda City from left to right to take a U-turn at a "artificial" break in the median. Result of emergency and hard braking their car fell into a ditch on the side of the road leaving her with a punctured lung , FIL with a crushed LHS and MIL expired.
RIP to the deceased. I hope the others make a full recovery. Usually such bikers tempt their fate once too often and unfortunately for them meet their match with some unsuspecting truck/ bus driver who is equally insenstive in running away.

in such cases its easier to say things in hindsight. I will attempt it nevertheless though this could stir the proverbial hornets nest.

While driving anywhere, we should try to ensure our own safety first. Any other maneouvres that we try to save someone else who is driving like a moron should not be at the cost of our own safety. Or in other words, no point to risk our own life and limb.
Yes, I may come across as damn selfish, but I didnt invite the biker to ride like that either. I think some of us keep lamenting the fact that the way these people drive/ ride, they may end up giving a lifetime of guilt to someone who happens to be unfortunate enough to run over them while they do their damnedest best at suicidal stunts. Sorry, but I dont want to risk my family/ friends/ self for such morons. Numerous such instances of folks ferrying kids on two wheelers in town for example.
Again, as a split second reaction, I still dont know what I would do. I hope none of us are ever caught in this situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Such people are not worth a discussion or a thought. I would say its better to warn them about a "third person" in the area who breaks eggs or gifts a wheel lock or scratches. I have learnt there is no point in getting into a 1:1 altercation with anyone.

If the other person was sensitive enough, he wouldnt park there. If he is rude enough to abuse, you or I or anyone else will not be able to improve his lot. In any case, that is not our objective is it? The objective here is to prevent people from parking vehicles in front of the gate. It is amazing what a simple sign on a gate can do. I have seen many such signs "no parking in front of gate" in Pune and rarely do I come across someone who parks there and leaves. Maybe the OP can try putting up such a sign and educating the neighbourhood cop about not letting people park there.

Really, no point arguing with any unknown person.
selfdrive is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th August 2012, 14:37   #4252
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaKilo View Post
I don't they would be in a position to file a complaint, but, a Suo-motto FIR can be filed against unknown bike, if she can identify the make of the bike and colour and some identification about the rider, Police might hunt him down.
That's done. But nothing can recover the loss . And all this for what taking a U-turn on a empty road ..
Old 14th August 2012, 14:42   #4253
Senior - BHPian

Came across a guy and his wife in a bike today morning who overtook me through the left and then cut across to overtake the bus in front of me which was overtaking another bus.
Finally what the bloke was doing was helping his wife catch the bus.
I could not get the opportunity to tell him that Better be late mister than be the late mister.
Old 14th August 2012, 20:39   #4254
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post

My post was not just about the behavior of these characters on the roads but any public place, whether office, malls and restaurants. I'm sure many of us experience first hand such behaviour every single day. And nowadays if we are sweet to someone they only take advantage of that.

Cheers.
I completely understand and agree with you Partha. And yes, I know it was in a lighter note. Can't help but remembering an egging incident that our cars were involved in and that really shook me up.

Which brings me to Selfdrive's post. Read it over and over again. He's pretty-much nailed it. 1-1 altercations are simply best avoided.
suhaas307 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2012, 22:22   #4255
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307

I completely understand and agree with you Partha. And yes, I know it was in a lighter note. Can't help but remembering an egging incident that our cars were involved in and that really shook me up.

Which brings me to Selfdrive's post. Read it over and over again. He's pretty-much nailed it. 1-1 altercations are simply best avoided.
Ash I know that feeling. Have first hand account of such incidents where the egg thrown in the early morning hours even turned into fried due to sun.

And I guess any altercation is best avoided. Just take your car or bike to a nice drive. I think our machines will do the rest to soothe our nerves

Drive safe. Cheers.
Old 14th August 2012, 22:52   #4256
BHPian

Quote:
That biker did not even stop to see if they were alive or dead. How do we spot these morons ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
While driving anywhere, we should try to ensure our own safety first. Any other maneouvres that we try to save someone else who is driving like a moron should not be at the cost of our own safety. Or in other words, no point to risk our own life and limb.
Yes, I may come across as damn selfish, but I didnt invite the biker to ride like that either.
+1 to selfdrive's view.

Though it is probably an instinct to swerve and avoid, it can be disastrous.
It is perhaps a better decision to hit than swerve and face unknown.

That said, it is better to keep watch of bikers in highways, autos anywhere as their movement is totally unpredictable. It is better to stay at say 70-80 (or whatever is a comfortable speed based on one's reflex + car's capacity), when such random things are spotted, so that even a hit would not be disastrous.
Old 14th August 2012, 23:01   #4257
BHPian

First of all I am very sorry for such a late reply. Had caught up with some studies!

Quote:
^^Looks like the cop is mistaking your closed gate for an unused one. Tough call there. You leave the gate open and two wheelers will be parked inside the compund. You leave it closed and cars will be parked outside it. maybe you need to build a gate right where that car is parked?
I don't think the cop asked him to park there. He was just trying to give me an excuse. The same cop had been posted there that day whom we had many a times complained about the cars parked in front of our building. Moving the gate, thats going to hamper the movement of pedestrians who again might turn up using our building compound!

Quote:
Carzone I really feel sad for your situation. Idiots rule our streets these days. And 45 50years these days is the age where one starts to have scant regard for fellow citizens.
The suit and tie and middle age have lost their nobility and have just become excuses for miscreants to misbehave.
I agree Partha that there are some men in that age group who have developed this kind of an attitude but that does no mean that all the men of the age group are the same. There is a kind who wish to accept their mistake and learn from them while some others think that they are educated in all fields and there is nothing left in the world that they need to learn. My advice, stay away from the second kind of people.

Quote:
On a lighter note how come you didn't try the egg on the bonnet idea this time? maybe invite your entire complex to a snack of bread omlete every time such idiots make their presence known in front of your complex.
I have been a witness of Vandalism on my car and know how it feels to see your beloved in such a manner. Hence, even if I wish, I can not do such a thing on any other person's property.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Partha, you are overreacting. The man acknowledged his mistake and apologised. There are enough and more people out there who will get aggressive even when they are in the wrong. In fact in this case it was probably our member's continued (verbal) aggression that triggered his reaction off. Not condoning his behaviour but that is how I read it.
Yes Noopster, I agree that I should have ended the matter when he sad sorry. But, the tone in which he apologized, it seemed he was just doing a formality. Anyways, I was not going to rip his bumper off because my ethics and my values prevent me from doing such low value things. Even though the consequences were such that one would damage the persons car in case of repeated offenses, but my ethics and my love for cars even if it belonged to someone else, will always prevent me from doing this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reswaran View Post
@carzone: I've followed your posts and I think sometimes you have to take things into your own hands. How about your building guys pooling in some money and installing something like this:

KCP Removable Post

These things are removable, so you guys can unlock them and remove them whenever a car passes out of the building. If this seems a little impractical to you, how about hiring a watchman who can shoo these guys away when they want to park?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannubhai View Post
If your building can have a security, wont that solve the problem ? Than raising your BP on these idiots, it would be some bucks well spend.

IMHO
Tahnk you reswaran and mannubhai. Almost all of the society members are ready on a watchman but every place has some one who has to be the bone in the meat! There are 2-3 people who say that we don't need a watchman and it increases the expense of the society for no reason. This all after a bike been stolen from the society and lock breaking incident in my flat some 3 months ago. Our floor members are now planning to install CCTV on our floor to at-least safeguard our flats. It won't solve the parking problem, but our flats will be safe till the members agree on a watchman.
Oh yes, thank you reswaran for your efforts towards solving my problem. Will be taking a look at this stuff.
Thank you all T-BHPians for helping me out.

On the other side, after the incident, I came home, Drank two cups of cold water, went out for a ride in the car with my family and enjoyed rest of the day. Being with your loved ones is the best way to forget these kind of incidents and move on.

There was again a car parked in front of the gate. A positive being that, the person had left some one in the car with the car keys. The person did not know to drive, he asked me to move the car and himself handed me the keys. I do not have problems with such people as I understand finding a parking is a difficult task in my area.

Last edited by carzone : 14th August 2012 at 23:04.
Old 14th August 2012, 23:44   #4258
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
have learnt there is no point in getting into a 1:1 altercation with anyone.

You've said it. Nowadays, it's really not worth even questioning anyone unknown on the road. For you never know when the person might take offense at what you say (however true or right it may be) and will hurt you in some way or other sooner or later.

And also, these day's the attitude of the people is of 'fight club' type. People don't think twice before getting into an altercation on the road and in instant the situation goes from bad to worse. Better to stay away. Drive slowly, safely keep your eyes always alert for bad drivers and as far as possible, don't argue with anyone on the road.
Old 15th August 2012, 00:42   #4259
Senior - BHPian

I would like to quote few sentences read by me on T-BHP and at other places :-

1. A good driver is one who not only avoids any mistakes but also anticipates other's mistakes and keeps a margin.
Can anyone tell me how much margin one can give to others and is their any limit to that or not. vikrantj's incident is such an example.

2. Jhukti hai duniya Jhukane wala chahiye. (If the person is capable, he can bring the whole world to its knees). That, my friends, summarizes the mentality of many drivers on the Indian roads IMHO. The worst part is, that this kind of mentality is glorified by many. Most of the 2-wheelers, Cab, SUV/XUV/MUV/UV drivers follow this mentality only.

3. "Chalta Hai" First do the mistake and then say "Sorry" and have your way at any cost. This has gotten so deep that basic concern for others is too high a thing to expect. Only I, me, myself. Carzone experience falls in that category.

In our country, at the red signal, if a bike hits from behind a car's bumper, which due to failure/incapacity/overestimation/arrogance/carelessness of the 2-wheeler, the 2-wheeler fellow expects the car fellow to "accept" his sorry and move on. This scene is repeated day after day, city after city.

We have an old thread on T-BHP where after long debate it was settled that the best course of action in an accident is to run away. Of course, in that thread, the "accident" was that a beggar intentionally came in front (or side) of one BHPian's car. He was subsequently harassed by police/beggar/all and sundry.

If someone notices the root cause of most of such situations, its completely due to lawlessness prevailing in this country, nothing else.

I am totally confused but that doesn't make me not do my good bit by not following the rules. After all, if there are bad drivers then at the same time, there are good one's too, though in small number.

Quote:
in such cases its easier to say things in hindsight. I will attempt it nevertheless though this could stir the proverbial hornets nest.

Quote:
But, the tone in which he apologized, it seemed he was just doing a formality.
carwatcher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2012, 01:29   #4260
BHPian

Nowadays, driving in indian roads is worse then having a nightmare. The latter at least leaves you chance for escape by waking up. You can't jump out of your car to the middle of the road to relieve your frustration. Nobody on wheels know what would happen the very next moment. It doesn't matter who makes mistakes, but somebody has to suffer at one point or the other. Even correction of mistakes leads to another big mistake.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks