Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2012, 14:17   #4291
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Overtaking from left has become a menace in Bangalore now, especially with bikers. Even within my office premises which has a pretty wide driveway, and when we drive on the left side of that turning left with left signals on, bikes coming behind will swerve to left and overtake, narrowly missing the car and the barricades, as if it is his duty. And if he had to stop his bike because the gap narrowed further, he stops and shout...as if I prevented his right of way... amazing :o
Old 17th August 2012, 17:53   #4292
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
this is one version of it. there could have been another explanation for the rush; it could have housed an IED (i know that's far fetched). please be careful around suspicious vehicles such as the Sebring be safe!
Given the (un)reliability of the Sebring model over the years, the car itself is often times a time bo*b for its owners.
Old 17th August 2012, 18:01   #4293
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinadJoshi View Post
In the very same parking lot, a harried (or hurried) owner decided that shutting the driver-side door of his Sebring was a pure waste of time and energy, thus leaving his car (and its fate) open wide in the parking lot while he went about doing his business at the library. This man had to be a firm believer in destiny. After all, doesn't the saying go: 'if it is yours, it won't leave you' ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
this is one version of it. there could have been another explanation for the rush; it could have housed an IED (i know that's far fetched). please be careful around suspicious vehicles such as the Sebring
Tch tch. Why such a violent streak, Hawky? Maybe the guy just truly, madly, deeply believes in "open door" policy!

By the way, I have seen quite a few people jumping red lights here as well!! But this thread makes me believe that if and when i return to India and drive there, i should always drive with blinkers and headlights on, in case i start driving on the right side of the road unintentionally!

Last edited by amitoj : 17th August 2012 at 18:03.
Old 17th August 2012, 18:15   #4294
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
But this thread makes me believe that if and when i return to India and drive there, i should always drive with blinkers and headlights on, in case i start driving on the right side of the road unintentionally!
yes, as of now it does seem that a lot of people here are confused over which continent they have woken up on.
It does not deter them though as they seem ot experts in teleporting their driving styles. EU/ US for a couple of blocks/ equivalent, then move to Indian/ UK style.
It is only their benevolence to oncoming Indian drivers that they switch on their blinkers/ headlights.
Old 18th August 2012, 00:04   #4295
BHPian

What I saw today was pinnacle of stupidity. A whole post of wouldn't make justice

Time : 8.15 pm

Sinhagad Road is one of the busiest road in Pune with a very high traffic density

A kid was leaning off the front passenger side window. The kid was half outside the car and leaning. The driver was not bothered and was driving around. Two bikers had to take evasive action so as to not to hit the kid. A couple of people shouted at the mother and she took the kid inside for a moment or two.

When I passed the car the kid was still 1/4th outside the window. It was a scary sight. All along the parents of the kid were calm as if it was normal
Old 18th August 2012, 12:22   #4296
Distinguished - BHPian

The length of this truck was almost equal to the total width of this road but still this guy wanted to take a "U" turn here during peak hour. He struggled to finish the "U" turn and wasted others time as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-photo0079optimized.jpg  

Old 19th August 2012, 13:51   #4297
BHPian

Came across this on youtube

Last edited by prkiran : 19th August 2012 at 13:52.
Old 19th August 2012, 15:07   #4298
Senior - BHPian

With my daily experience, We could close this thread and re-title it "how do you spot GOOD Drivers" Almost everyday, i notice that the average Joe does NOT follow traffic rules. People just drive on the wrong side and break signals, if there is no police around and some even have he guts to break a red-light even if a traffic cop is manning a signal.

So far i have never seen a patient 2wheeler. Every 2wheeler i have seen squeezes his way out and even ride on footpath / any path that they can find. They even honk at pedestrians on the footpath. Heck footpath is meant for pedestrians only.

I notice that only very few pople really follow traffic rules, be it 2W/3W/4W/6W.

God Help India.
scopriobharath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2012, 12:48   #4299
BHPian

Bad driver, bad passengers? Or Both?
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-dsc_0118.jpg  

Old 21st August 2012, 13:46   #4300
Senior - BHPian

What is with some car drivers who while smoking 10 minutes away from their life, hand the cigarette out of the driver window and tap ash and embers all over?

There was one such Ikon driver this morning on my way to work who was merrily flinging ash out his driver window. At one of the signals where the traffic was light on the right lane I proceeded ahead and stopped. This guy was on the left lane but wanted to turn his car into the gap to my left. While he was doing that, I sneakily turned my bike handle such that the dangled cigarette was bumped out of his hand.

I expected him to pick an argument with me, but surprisingly he said sorry and put his hand up. Perhaps he assumed the cigarette hit my hand. Nevertheless, the signal turned green and we went our ways. I had the cheap thrill of knocking a cigarette out!

But I wonder how difficult it is to use their own ash tray in the car.
Old 21st August 2012, 16:37   #4301
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Always check clearances before driving through.

Here is a stuck truck

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-20120819_125629-custom.jpg
Old 21st August 2012, 16:46   #4302
BHPian

Bad drivers are everywhere. I usually travel from T.Nagar to Ascendas tech IT park everyday. Mornings I start at 7:10am to avoid traffic (eh bad drivers) and evening it is usually before 6pm (say 5:50pm). One fine day, I had to start a little late at around 6:30pm! the traffic along the Rajiv-Gandhi Salai was horrific. Two wheelers were like driving as if it was end of the world. Had to drive so very slow to avoid hitting anyone. The number of two and three wheelers has gone up exponentially in the city and travelling thru this maze has become increasingly difficult. I might soon have to think of alternate means of transport to avoid spending huge on petrol bills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Always check clearances before driving through.

Here is a stuck truck

Attachment 973054
What does this got to do with bad drivers? an OT?
Old 21st August 2012, 18:28   #4303
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutantX View Post
[left]

What does this got to do with bad drivers? an OT?
Not checking for clearance before driving through is not the sign of a bad driver, its the sign of a mentally retarded fool. He richly deserves his truck top being shredded. lol
Old 21st August 2012, 23:18   #4304
BHPian

The drivers in the area I live have been highly inspired by the posts in this thread. There seems to be a competition to feature in this thread.

Came across this vento, parked near my building, again the market area. All other is I guess self explanatory.

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-abcd0018.jpg

This guy has parked in almost the center of the road. As seen in the pic, the bus has no place to go and has jammed up traffic behind it. The traffic police in our area does not do anything. Have many a times requested them to call the towing van, but all in vain.
Did not wait there for the vento driver to arrive as it would take some time, as is the case with these careless drivers.

Note: The traffic police is regularly positioned just opposite side of the road where the vento has been parked.

Last edited by carzone : 21st August 2012 at 23:19.
Old 22nd August 2012, 07:26   #4305
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carzone View Post
This guy has parked in almost the center of the road.
I find it really difficult to comprehend how can someone park like this. I am shocked to say the least. I am sure the excuse would be i just went to that shop for 2 minutes to pick up something. Now 2 minutes translates anywhere between 10-15 mins.

Most Viewed