Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 28th August 2012, 21:33   #4336
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by carzone View Post
Thats the reason buddy I was waiting in the car all the way till the school left and my sister arrived (around 20 minutes). In this kind of situations,
In this case, you have only stopped there. In your first post you mentioned you parked there.
Towing is different based on cities I guess.
Old 28th August 2012, 22:09   #4337
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
In this case, you have only stopped there. In your first post you mentioned you parked there.
Towing is different based on cities I guess.
Sorry, My bad. Yes, I had only stopped there. But, even if I had parked there, which I was not going to do, there were vehicles all over the length of the road in the same lane which could have given company to my car. Moreover, beside my car on the right side, there was another car also with the driver sitting inside.
Old 29th August 2012, 09:39   #4338
Senior - BHPian

The zebra crossers.

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-img_0275.jpg

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-img_0276.jpg
Old 31st August 2012, 21:41   #4339
BHPian

Youtube is full of such videos. Have a look at 3:30 of the video. Is this happening in Bangalore? One can observe the number plate of the bike here. No helmets and no concern for the traffic. How much of inconvenience they cause to fellow road users.

And this too.
Parthasarathig is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2012, 23:59   #4340
Senior - BHPian

See this bad cabbie blocking the free left.
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-baddie.jpg  

Old 1st September 2012, 07:30   #4341
BHPian

I drive on the NH-8 regularly and am tired & frustrated with the truckers driving on the fast lane @ 50-60kph, even though the other 2 lanes are empty!!
Earlier I used to keep honking until they moved, but that takes too much time + too much honking annoys me, so I now overtake such idiots from the left, move in front of them & gradually slow down to around 5kph and then zoom away! This seems to work in teaching the truckers a lesson!
I realize this technique might not be the right one, but I really can't think of anything else!
nishantbhatia84 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2012, 15:18   #4342
Distinguished - BHPian

Nishant, this is how they drive, it is their custom, and, as my wife keeps saying to me every time I scream and shout, you are not going to change them. In fact, they probably wonder what on earth you are doing!

At least with these guts, unlike some other drivers of smaller vehicles, they are consistent and less likely to suddenly change. I know this is defeatist, but I'd say, just settle for overtaking on which ever side you can, keeping your wits turned up high, and using lights and horn to make sure they know you are there. That. at least, they probably do appreciate.

At the csir rd junction on OMR (Chennai) yesterday morning...

Signal at the Tidel Park junction ahead was red, with traffic backed up. A few of us, unusually, had the sense to leave the csir junction clear for turning traffic. A tanker was waiting to turn right onto OMR. Suddenly, a FastTrack indicab barged forward and, single-handed, managed, somehow, to lock up the junction.

A few of us, including the tanker driver. left him in no doubt what we thought of him, but I don't suppose he cared. Fasttrack are really not caring about the quality of drivers they employ.

By contrast, we took an Aviation Express car home from the airport a couple of days back.Even though he was driving an Inova () the driver drove sensibly and patiently. Top marks!

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 1st September 2012 at 15:22.
Old 1st September 2012, 15:34   #4343
BHPian

Few bad drivers/riders i spotted.

The white swift is driven by a "Bhpian"
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-img2012072600212.jpg  

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-img2012052200125.jpg  

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-img2012052300132.jpg  

Last edited by nandans2005 : 1st September 2012 at 15:36.
Old 1st September 2012, 20:13   #4344
Senior - BHPian

parked on the wrong side - rightmost lane (near the divider) - at the Madiwala market this morning.
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-_mg_7419.jpg
Old 1st September 2012, 20:22   #4345
BHPian

Iron,
Well, this is allowed on this street everyday. This is due to the market place. I have parked it here many time. The cops are ok with this, but only in the mornings.
Old 1st September 2012, 20:34   #4346
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Nishant, this is how they drive, it is their custom,

At least with these guts, unlike some other drivers of smaller vehicles, they are consistent and less likely to suddenly change.
Couldn't agree more. On highways, its relatively safe to overtake the trucks than the passenger cars/suv's irrespective of which track they are in.
99% of the time, the trucks keep their lane unlike the cars which can swerve/brake/accelerate at any point of time.
At three digit speeds, its these cars who have no highway etiquette that are nightmares.
The only time I observed trucks blocking the way is when one truck tries to overtake another one.
sarathlal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2012, 20:55   #4347
BHPian

I remember talking to a friendly truck driver once. He said the left lane has a lot of hurdles like two Wheelers, cyclists, pedestrians, trees bending down onto the road etc. and it is tough/dangerous to switch lanes like we do in our cars. Also the time/effort a truck takes to brake and also gain acceleration and momentum is probably 10 times more than an average car!

This, made sense to me as I understood driving a loaded truck is no Child's play!
Old 1st September 2012, 20:58   #4348
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nandans2005 View Post
Iron,
Well, this is allowed on this street everyday. This is due to the market place. I have parked it here many time. The cops are ok with this, but only in the mornings.
i had reported this matter to BTP and they said that the case has been redirected to the respective police station. never heard back on it.

i fail to understand why should this be allowed in the first place? can't people park on the left and cross the road? i see many people do this, so what's so special for these other bunch that they get to park on the wrong side? and why the heck should the police allow this?

Last edited by IronH4WK : 1st September 2012 at 21:20.
Old 1st September 2012, 23:36   #4349
Distinguished - BHPian

This guy almost hit a bus with this pipe when he took a sharp left.
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-photo0063optimized.jpg  

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-photo0059optimized.jpg  

Old 2nd September 2012, 07:44   #4350
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
This guy almost hit a bus with this pipe when he took a sharp left.
Thats a CT100 and a Activa! Wego, take a look at this. they have body balance

Just came back from a 1800kms round trip of Gokarna-Goa-Dandeli. Nice roads all around. However, that still doesnt stop the occasional geniuses.

On the way back on NH4, I saw a guy nee uncle on a Honda Stunner with a sari clad aunty sitting sideways behind him. Btw, uncle had no helmet on.
Initially he's doing 80+ on the right lane. Honked away to glory for him to yield.
However, the fun didnt stop there. The guy was relentless. I finally managed to overtake him for good near the Magadi Road intersection on Nice Road i.e. almost 70+ kms where a Stunner kept up with a car on a open highway without any basic protection!

Most Viewed