Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th November 2012, 11:07   #4561
BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
The fourth time in the last 3 or 4 months that I am facing deep irritation with a horrible Woman Driver in a BR01 registered Suzuki SX4.
Have you pictured the car in action? In my opinion such people deserve a couple of things:

1. Post the picture on BTP and report it.
2. Stop her dead in her tracks and call the cops then and there.

Such people are actually making a mess on Bangalore roads and also are setting examples for those who love reckless driving
Old 16th November 2012, 11:12   #4562
Senior - BHPian

One week that I spent in Dubai, I could see similar patterns of bad drivers emerging.

1) People cutting across 3 lanes of traffic, at high speeds (mind you traffic was moving at average posted limits of 120kmph) and then turning right for the exit
2) Sheiks sitting crossed legged on the steering, one leg on the accelerator of their automatic 4x4 and driving away merrily
3) Parking on the kerb/sidewalk. Actually climbing up the kerb sideways to park
4) Motorcyclists weaving in and out of traffic, cutting across all, almost playing video games

So same issues everywhere I guess
Old 16th November 2012, 12:25   #4563

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post
Since i drive a lot inside Chennai, there is always someone or the other trying to get on my nerves.
This happened yesterday late in the evening. I was at the infamous Camp Road and due to the Festive season, the road was more like a market. I was driving my Fiesta and was in the process of getting out of Camp Road.
I commute via this junction daily for the past 2 months. While coming from Tambaram towards Medavakkam, I have to unnecessarily wait in this junction though the signal would be green to go straight. Some people doesn't know that it's NOT a grave sin to stand in a queue and take right towards Selaiyur. They flock the signal all around not letting any vehicles to go straight. So the process of changing colours happens. Green turns Red and then back to Green, now I pass.

P.S: This is my first post in T-BHP. Great to be a part of this community.

P.S 2: There is a small bridge work going on right after the Camp Road signal towards Tambaram side. Due to this, the 3 lane road has been shortened to a single lane road for about 50 Ft. So Traffic may be a bit more during peak hours. Please take care.
krish_veera is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2012, 12:55   #4564
Senior - BHPian

Every-time i go to Europe, I am amazed by the sheer road decency maintained. Sure you will have the lane cutters and speeders but by far the small things that they all do sure make an impression.

Rome, Naples, Paris, Zurich. In all these places, you just have to step on the Zebra crossing and people will stop! Big car, small car, bikes, trucks. They all stop for pedestrians to cross.

Someone is making a turn in front you? Wait for him to finish the turn patiently. No honking or flashing of lights or swerving extremely to get in front of him.

The other day in Kochi i was approaching the Abad Plaza junction and noticed an Innova waiting to take a u-turn. No one bothered to stop and with Kochi traffic as it is these days, he would have taken ages to take that turn. I gently braked much to the irritation of the cars behind me, and waved him to take the turn. He took the turn and much to my surprise, instead of zooming off cursing at the time wasted, he paused at the left lane, allowed me to pass him and as i did so, he gave me a huge smile mouthing thanks! That made my day.

We are too busy caught up in our own self ordained importance we tend to forget the plight of others. No empathy left in this world. What little was left is also running away :(
deathwalkr is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 16th November 2012, 13:20   #4565
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post

Rome, Naples, Paris, Zurich. In all these places, you just have to step on the Zebra crossing and people will stop! Big car, small car, bikes, trucks. They all stop for pedestrians to cross.
Even I used to marvel at this, till I thought about it in our scenario. Take Mumbai for example, lol a city of 20 million. Imagine if cars stopped everytime a damn pedestrian wanted to cross. The traffic would be so much worse
Old 16th November 2012, 13:45   #4566
BHPian

Quote:
Every-time i go to Europe, I am amazed by the sheer road decency maintained. Sure you will have the lane cutters and speeders but by far the small things that they all do sure make an impression.
In my opinion, education, law enforcement and population contribute to a countries civil behavior either on the roads or pedestrian. Our country has the first and the last only
Old 16th November 2012, 14:03   #4567
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In all these places, you just have to step on the Zebra crossing and people will stop! Big car, small car, bikes, trucks. They all stop for pedestrians to cross.
back in 2001 when i was in Colorado Springs, i was getting out of Walmart and was waiting near the entrance to cross over to the parking lot. i see a SUV driving up and i stopped to let him pass; he stopped too! i'm thinking why is this guy not driving past! is he waiting for me? it's ridiculous! then the driver gestured me to cross and i was never had i seen such courtesy on the road!

when i returned to India, i started practicing the pedestrian has the right of way and it does feel good when you get the occasional thank you gesture but more often than not i get the confused look from pedestrians trying to cross!

Quote:
The other day in Kochi i was approaching the Abad Plaza junction and noticed an Innova waiting to take a u-turn. No one bothered to stop and with Kochi traffic as it is these days, he would have taken ages to take that turn. I gently braked much to the irritation of the cars behind me, and waved him to take the turn. He took the turn and much to my surprise, instead of zooming off cursing at the time wasted, he paused at the left lane, allowed me to pass him and as i did so, he gave me a huge smile mouthing thanks! That made my day.
that was very indeed very nice of you.

Quote:
We are too busy caught up in our own self ordained importance we tend to forget the plight of others. No empathy left in this world. What little was left is also running away :(
couldn't have said it better. people just don't care about others anymore; just getting worse everyday!
Old 16th November 2012, 14:23   #4568
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
back in 2001 when i was in Colorado Springs, i was getting out of Walmart and was waiting near the entrance to cross over to the parking lot. i see a SUV driving up and i stopped to let him pass; he stopped too! i'm thinking why is this guy not driving past! is he waiting for me? it's ridiculous! then the driver gestured me to cross and i was never had i seen such courtesy on the road!
Spot on. Similar experience last year when in Vegas, it was almost midnight and when attempting to cross the road, a lone car stops for me to cross the road. I actually walked up to the guy and said "thank you" Trust me it makes you feel good and there is a belief in the US that any good/kind gesture extended to you and you return it to someone else, creates a chain of goodwill.

While driving on the San Mateo bridge a year before that, the guy ahead of me actually paid the toll of 4$ for our car and the booth attendant told me so. My cousin paid for the car behind us so as to not stop the chain WOW does that happen here? phew...

Last edited by sumathindra : 16th November 2012 at 14:24. Reason: edits
Old 16th November 2012, 14:31   #4569
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
San Francisco:
I was standing at a crossing.
Car stops and the angry lady screams at me to get going and cross the road.

Last edited by bblost : 16th November 2012 at 14:34.
bblost is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2012, 14:42   #4570
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Hi
I cant drive and take photos on my phone camera at the same time. I cant do a video either unless I get some James Bond-esque camera equipment fitted to my foglamps or something of the kind!
But yes, I take your point. Maybe next time if I do encounter this person and in case my wife is with me I will get her to take a phone camera snap and post it on BTP for what it is worth.
It is not a matter of which state one is from but rather a matter of quality education in the true sense of the word.
This particular car just happens to be from Bihar and unfortunately as always we do tend to generalise that Bihar is a crazy state full of corruption and wicked politicos and hence this car being from Bihar really cant be expected to be any better etc.
Fact is, that this kind of thing happens everywhere in India - Karnataka, Tamil Nadu, Kerala, Delhi, Bombay - any city you care to name has its share of traffic violators and bad drivers.
The laws are all there - the enforcement is lacking!
Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarathlal View Post
Can this be forwarded to Bangalore Traffic Police flagged as dangerous driving?
And if they act, one less irritant on the road as a result.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumathindra View Post
Have you pictured the car in action? In my opinion such people deserve a couple of things:

1. Post the picture on BTP and report it.
2. Stop her dead in her tracks and call the cops then and there.
setting examples for those who love reckless driving
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2012, 14:49   #4571
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Even I used to marvel at this, till I thought about it in our scenario. Take Mumbai for example, lol a city of 20 million. Imagine if cars stopped everytime a damn pedestrian wanted to cross. The traffic would be so much worse
If it can work in densely populated cities like Tokyo, why not in our cities? But the trouble we have is, if you stop the car for a pedestrian to cross, there will be a dozen motorbikes and a few auto-rickshaws occupying that space

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
San Francisco:
I was standing at a crossing.
Car stops and the angry lady screams at me to get going and cross the road.
Oh yes, I had this education here in Singapore many years back – that pedestrian crossing is not a place to wait, because the road users will assume that you are there to cross the road and hence will slow down
Old 16th November 2012, 15:10   #4572
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
when i returned to India, i started practicing the pedestrian has the right of way and it does feel good when you get the occasional thank you gesture but more often than not i get the confused look from pedestrians trying to cross!
yes, I have found out the worng way that if I stop for a pedestrian, the person will be damn confused and will demand that I go first and he/ she will figure out how to cross the road. Maybe it is due to the risk of a speeding biker trying to overtake me and crash into him/ her. Or maybe it is just pure suspicion as we are not used to getting an inch from anyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumathindra View Post
While driving on the San Mateo bridge a year before that, the guy ahead of me actually paid the toll of 4$ for our car and the booth attendant told me so. My cousin paid for the car behind us so as to not stop the chain WOW does that happen here? phew...
Do we trust the toll guy to pass it on? He will just pocket it and laugh at the 'idiot' who paid for the next car!
Old 16th November 2012, 15:50   #4573
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Appreciate your gesture, but IMO, it will be better if we don't do this.

Else, we will stop, and that poor chap will cross the road thanking us, only to find the crazy biker zooming in, because for some people, that is a normal thing to do, Jumping the line.
Old 16th November 2012, 16:58   #4574
Senior - BHPian

No it would be better if we all do it so that others will also learn to do so

If all drivers did that then perhaps pedestrians would also learn to use the zebra crossing instead of walking on the middle of the road facing traffic waiting for a gap to cross which is more scary.
Old 16th November 2012, 17:19   #4575
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
I cant drive and take photos on my phone camera at the same time.

It is not a matter of which state one is from
Engage the (IronH4WK) or a quick session for folks on the forum on "how to quick canon" and shoot.

Yes such reckless drivers exist everywhere, did not generalize only people from a few places. Just wanted to clarify that.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks