Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th November 2012, 23:57   #4636
BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

It is interesting to note that there are different driving patterns in the country depending on the geographical area.

In Mumbai, people have better know how about driving rules, but are less inclined to obey it, as all are always in a hurry. whether it is office time, or even after the party time, say around 3 am. They are the the least patient in the entire country, and not willing to spare even a second and will keep on honking, even to buses who stop at their regular bus stops.

In Ahmedabad-udaipur- Jaipur sector, truck drivers are the worst , they never keep the lane system in order, and quite often we can see that 2,3 trucks running side by side.

The Rajastan state bus drivers feel that they own the highways too and are treating the car drivers with extreme contempt and disdain .

Absolute rash driving prevails in Delhi, Amritsar area. I dont think, there exists any traffic rules in those parts of the country.

In Pune, and Nashik area, bike riders rule the roads, and it is the duty of the car drivers to continuously watch for any erring bikes which comes into their path.

I have limited knowledge about the south Indian conditions, but heard from the friends that it is much better than the rest of the country.

The main issue is with the driving schools, as they are more inclined in getting their students license only, not imparting knowledge.
Old 26th November 2012, 12:31   #4637
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbhavan View Post
It is interesting to note that there are different driving patterns in the country depending on the geographical area.

I have limited knowledge about the south Indian conditions, but heard from the friends that it is much better than the rest of the country.

The main issue is with the driving schools, as they are more inclined in getting their students license only, not imparting knowledge.
I am sorry bbhavan to break the bubble about better drivers in South India. I have been driving mostly in South and I find them the worst - especially the 2/3 wheelers and the commercial vehicles. Just yesterday I saved a moron from a sure death when he tried to overtake me from the left abutting a sidewalk with barely inches to spare. I had to brake hard to avoid squishing him with the pavement. I am sorry if I sound harsh - but one certainly doesn't live on others charity on the road.

I rode a motorcycle for a long distance too in my younger days. I was always scared for my life and limbs.
Prowler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2012, 12:56   #4638
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbhavan

In Mumbai, people have better know how about driving rules, but are less inclined to obey it, as all are always in a hurry. whether it is office time, or even after the party time, say around 3 am. They are the the least patient in the entire country, and not willing to spare even a second and will keep on honking, even to buses who stop at their regular bus stops.

In Ahmedabad-udaipur- Jaipur sector, truck drivers are the worst , they never keep the lane system in order, and quite often we can see that 2,3 trucks running side by side.

The Rajastan state bus drivers feel that they own the highways too and are treating the car drivers with extreme contempt and disdain .

Absolute rash driving prevails in Delhi, Amritsar area. I dont think, there exists any traffic rules in those parts of the country.

In Pune, and Nashik area, bike riders rule the roads, and it is the duty of the car drivers to continuously watch for any erring bikes which comes into their path.

Please do not generalize on the basis of regions. I am from Delhi and I do follow rules and I am sure my friends from Bangalore, Mumbai, Pune, Chennai etc do so too. We as a country have bad road manners. Yes I agree truck drivers in Rajastan do not stick to a lane. If you have tractors, bikes and even camels on the left most lane who would?

People break rules everywhere and some folks, a lot of them on this forum, follow rules too.
Old 26th November 2012, 14:11   #4639
BHPian

Quote:
I believe that the driving schools aren't the main but just a minor problem. The Driving License issuing authority(RTO) is only supposed to issue driving licenses to those who are fit for the roads; but sadly that isn't so; and that is the main problem.

This post from a fellow member tells us that this wasn't the case a few decades ago.
Old 27th November 2012, 11:51   #4640
BHPian

It is disheartening to know about the status in South India also.

I think, as a community, we have to do something to raise awareness about the following,

1. Good driving habbits among people
2. Expose the corruption and callous attitude of the RTO offices,
3. control on the activities of the driving schools and to impose some standards or gradings to them
4.To increase professionalism in the traffic police
5.To increase the surveillance system in the highways

We should take it as a challenge,

regards,

bbhavan.

QUOTE=Prowler;2972736]I am sorry bbhavan to break the bubble about better drivers in South India. I have been driving mostly in South and I find them the worst - especially the 2/3 wheelers and the commercial vehicles. Just yesterday I saved a moron from a sure death when he tried to overtake me from the left abutting a sidewalk with barely inches to spare. I had to brake hard to avoid squishing him with the pavement. I am sorry if I sound harsh - but one certainly doesn't live on others charity on the road.

I rode a motorcycle for a long distance too in my younger days. I was always scared for my life and limbs.[/quote]
Old 27th November 2012, 12:03   #4641
BHPian

Dear Abhishek,

Sorry , if my statement hurt you. Actually, I wrote about the experiences I had in the last 4 or 5 occasions when I visited Delhi.

I thought of cities like Chennai and Bangalore are better in that sense, but as Mr. Venu pointed out, it is not so at least in Chennai.

We should think about it seriously, and should do something a s a community to increase the road sense and manners.

Poor road infrastructure, failure to comply with speed limits, growing drinking and driving habits, and refusal to use proper motorcycle helmets and use child car seats, are among the main factors contributing to deaths from road crashes, WHO said in its report on 'Decade of Action for Road Safety 2011-2010'.

In every year, more than a lakh people are dying in India in road accidents, and is sure we are the no. 1 in the world.

regards,

bbhavan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhishekB86 View Post
Please do not generalize on the basis of regions. I am from Delhi and I do follow rules and I am sure my friends from Bangalore, Mumbai, Pune, Chennai etc do so too. We as a country have bad road manners. Yes I agree truck drivers in Rajastan do not stick to a lane. If you have tractors, bikes and even camels on the left most lane who would?

People break rules everywhere and some folks, a lot of them on this forum, follow rules too.
bbhavan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th November 2012, 09:33   #4642
Senior - BHPian

I became a bad driver today. I was following an SX4 that was following two fully loaded tippers, on a straight road (Gunjur-Varthur). When the tippers stopped, I stopped too. Then a Scorpio and a Linea that were following me, overtook me and the tippers and went ahead. Since I've been fooled by these tippers at the same location many times (they randomly stop right in the middle of the road), and I couldn't see beyond them, I too followed the Linea. To my shock, there was a long queue of cars in front of the tippers. I had no choice but to drive till the junction where the jam had started.

I wonder how many motorists cursed me, the way curse wrong-side drivers when I am stuck like that.
rohanjf is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th November 2012, 10:55   #4643
Senior - BHPian

Yesterday evening while returning from office, I got stuck up behind a white i20 (this one had an A4 size paper stuck on its rear windshield with an "L" written on it - the paper covered a good portion of the the rear view). The car was being driver by a lady. She cuts lanes every now and then and would be on the wrong lane at every point of time - if she needs to take a left at a signal, she would be on the right most lane. To top it all, she never used indicators. If all this was not enough, she had earphones, probably listening to music!

I got rid of this car at a signal. But, again got behind a lady-driven car (this was a Ritz, IIRC). This lady too was using earphones! I starting carefully watching lady drivers on my route, and noticed all of them used earphones! They never respond to honks or signals - and never used indicators as well!

Is this some problem with the training schools in Bangalore? All the lady drivers I saw had earphones and none of them used indicators. And all of them drove on the wrong lanes and cut across lanes at signals!
Old 28th November 2012, 12:11   #4644
Senior - BHPian

^^^ They will (hopefully) learn soon enough. As it is, driving with windows-up reduces audible input from the traffic outside.
Plug in earphones and listen to music and inputs get reduced to as good as zero, increasing the probability of accidents.
Old 28th November 2012, 13:47   #4645
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post

Is this some problem with the training schools in Bangalore? All the lady drivers I saw had earphones and none of them used indicators. And all of them drove on the wrong lanes and cut across lanes at signals!
Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
^^^ They will (hopefully) learn soon enough. As it is, driving with windows-up reduces audible input from the traffic outside.
Plug in earphones and listen to music and inputs get reduced to as good as zero, increasing the probability of accidents.
I wonder if such folks ran out of money for the ICE, or if they are expecting a call and have the earphones on then time for their husbands to gift them a Bluetooth headphone at the very least.
Old 28th November 2012, 15:16   #4646
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
I wonder how many motorists cursed me, the way curse wrong-side drivers when I am stuck like that.
An honest mistake is not bad driving. it happens.

I remember one time in UK: I saw a queue of traffic in front, in the left lane and moved to the right. Then I saw the signpost: I should have been in the left lane. I rejoined that lane as soon as possible, but it was tough, because no-one would give way, as they all thought I was a queue jumper, whereas the reality was that I was a stranger to the area.

Quote:
All the lady drivers I saw had earphones and none of them used indicators. And all of them drove on the wrong lanes and cut across lanes at signals!
If it is for the phone, then it is much better than hand-held calling. If it is for the music, then not so good, but how many people equally deafen themselves with the ICE and think that is ok?
Old 28th November 2012, 15:18   #4647
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
If it is for the phone, then it is much better than hand-held calling. If it is for the music, then not so good, but how many people equally deafen themselves with the ICE and think that is ok?
I do agree its better than hand-held calling, but instead of plugging both the ears, they could just use only ear, and keep the other to know what is happening around. Raised windows+plugged ears = deaf driver. As such the people I saw were merrily cutting lanes at slow speeds, and turning without indicators (cutting lanes again).
Old 28th November 2012, 17:00   #4648
BHPian

Quote:
Dear Abhishek,

Sorry , if my statement hurt you. Actually, I wrote about the experiences I had in the last 4 or 5 occasions when I visited Delhi.

I thought of cities like Chennai and Bangalore are better in that sense, but as Mr. Venu pointed out, it is not so at least in Chennai.

We should think about it seriously, and should do something a s a community to increase the road sense and manners.

Poor road infrastructure, failure to comply with speed limits, growing drinking and driving habits, and refusal to use proper motorcycle helmets and use child car seats, are among the main factors contributing to deaths from road crashes, WHO said in its report on 'Decade of Action for Road Safety 2011-2010'.

In every year, more than a lakh people are dying in India in road accidents, and is sure we are the no. 1 in the world.

regards,

bbhavan

I am sure that's not what you meant so no offence taken, sir. I completely agree with your statement above.

I see bikes, cars, buses, trucks and any other vehicle breaking the red light every morning. I sometimes wonder why do they stop for those 20 seconds if they want to break the signal anyway. It upsets me no end when one of these idiots has a kid as a pillion rider.

Apparently missing school assembly is greater risk than being at the hospital.

I must be honest and admit I am scared of driving back on late Saturday nights. I see people driving like nuts. I would like to recall an incident that happened 2-3 days back.

I was behind a truck on the right most lane and a girl in a white figo was on the left lane fast approaching my car. After dipping twice the truck started to give way and I put my foot on the accelerator to overtake. Out of nowhere this girl barely misses the truck and by a finger's distance misses my car and diagonally cuts across and overtakes. I am totally upset and frustrated but do not attempt to flag her down considering I have a co-passenger who's responsibility is mine and curse her in my mind and keep moving.

As much as I am an activist for not generalizing women and not believing in cliches, my personal experience with women drivers is making me think differently. That's not saying men aren't capable of being idiots, they are, but this whole deal about proving a point to men on the road and rebelling even if it spells danger is a stupid trend. I hope the ladies here are better off than the ones I see on a daily basis.

Last edited by AbhishekB86 : 28th November 2012 at 17:02.
AbhishekB86 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th November 2012, 17:02   #4649
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I do agree its better than hand-held calling, but instead of plugging both the ears, they could just use only ear, and keep the other to know what is happening around. Raised windows+plugged ears = deaf driver. As such the people I saw were merrily cutting lanes at slow speeds, and turning without indicators (cutting lanes again).
Yes, very far from perfect. in-ear buds are far too isolating.
Quote:
I was behind a truck on the right most lane and a girl in a white figo was on the left lane fast approaching my car. After dipping twice the truck started to give way and I put my foot on the accelerator to overtake. Out of nowhere this girl barely misses the truck and by a finger's distance misses my car and diagonally cuts across and overtakes. I am totally upset and frustrated but do not attempt to flag her down considering I have a co-passenger who's responsibility is mine and curse her in my mind and keep moving
I don't know about Delhi, but here, this is how many, many bikers drive, and most of them are men, and it is a nonsense to bring the gender issue into it all. The only reason that certain incidents with female bikers over the past few days stand out in my mind are, a) they are in the minority, and b) they stand out because they are prettier.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 28th November 2012 at 17:08.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th November 2012, 18:17   #4650
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Yes, very far from perfect. in-ear buds are far too isolating.
I don't know about Delhi, but here, this is how many, many bikers drive, and most of them are men, and it is a nonsense to bring the gender issue into it all. The only reason that certain incidents with female bikers over the past few days stand out in my mind are, a) they are in the minority, and b) they stand out because they are prettier.
Thad, I am not sure you read the entire post. I am referring to the aggressive behavior at display because of the social conditioning. The man driving on your right might not be a chauvinist. This isn't a one time experience, I have been through this before at Gurgaon toll too. Feminism's cause is slightly hampered when there is rash driving involved.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks