Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st December 2012, 17:10   #4681
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

I am not a bad driver (I keep saying this to myself) but

Today my daughter stated that she does not like sitting in the car when i drive.

Why i asked.

To which she stated.

When driver uncle drives, and i am sitting at the back seat, i dont bounce up, nor do i slide front and back. I can easily play on my iPad, but when you drive i keep moving here and there, and cannot even read on my iPad forget playing.

Although i responded by saying "Driver uncle is never pressed for time", but i must agree its time to take my sedate driving to the next level. Probably this posts needs to do to good drivers thread. Happy to have such a driver drive kids to school and back.

Last edited by mayankjha1806 : 1st December 2012 at 17:17.
mayankjha1806 is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2012, 12:37   #4682
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by engrohit View Post
most of the drivers that I encounter driving with high beam are wearing spectacles.
@noopster and @drmohitg might disagree but i have also felt the need to switch to high beams whenever the roads are dark there is no one to follow (i.e. i am alone on the road going in that direction) and do not have enough street lightening.

I use powered glasses (not very high -3.0 both eyes), in the past i have tried switching to anti-glare ones but within a few weeks the anti-glare coating goes away and thereafter the glasses are worse than normal ones. So i use normal powered glasses.

I resolve the problem by ether slowing down, or moving to high beams only when streets are empty (especially from opposite direction).

Last edited by mayankjha1806 : 2nd December 2012 at 12:44.
Old 2nd December 2012, 22:56   #4683
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
i have also felt the need to switch to high beams whenever the roads are dark there is no one to follow (i.e. i am alone on the road going in that direction)...
You must add, and there is no oncoming traffic.

Then there is no complaints with using high beam: it is what it is for!

Quote:
I resolve the problem by ether slowing down, or moving to high beams only when streets are empty
Yes! Too many people consider their chosen speed to be the main criterion of driving. It isn't: the conditions are.

Conditions must dictate speed, never the other way around. However slow we end up going.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 2nd December 2012 at 22:58.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2012, 23:38   #4684
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
@noopster and @drmohitg might disagree but i have also felt the need to switch to high beams whenever the roads are dark there is no one to follow (i.e. i am alone on the road going in that direction) and do not have enough street lightening.
I am not against using high beams at all. Afterall they have been put there for a purpose. And I myself use them in the conditions you described above. The thing I mentioned in my last post was that its not something that only people wearing spectacles use high beams.

Use high beams as much as you like but be careful as to not create a nuisance for the fellow road users, be it the car ahead of you or the oncoming traffic.
drmohitg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2012, 15:29   #4685
BHPian

Apologies if this has already been discussed. I did look but couldn't find this topic. What do you folks feel about drivers who do not use their left ORVM? I've seen many folks who have it folded all the time. It's true that it sticks out attracting scratches and bumps and scrapes. But is that reason enough not to use it. Personally if I see a car with its ORVM folded I'm wary and I keep my distance. Funnily enough it puts the onus on everybody other than the driver of that car to stay out of its blind spots.
Old 3rd December 2012, 16:20   #4686
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarunt View Post
Apologies if this has already been discussed. I did look but couldn't find this topic. What do you folks feel about drivers who do not use their left ORVM?
I've seen folded ORVMs on cars generally driven by older folks. The Padmini I learnt to drive in had no ORVMs. The 2004 Zen I sometimes drive has no LH ORVM, and I'm not very comfortable with the RH one anyway. But then, I drive a car only once in maybe 6 months, for just a few days. Maybe if I get rid of the inside mirror too, the high-beams won't feel so nasty!

On the road, I generally aim my motorcycle headlight at her/his RH ORVM and flash my light to signal I'm overtaking. 9 times out of 10, this token gesture is completely ignored and I need to take them from the left. Safe to say that ORVMs may as well be non-existent. Even a honking huge convex mirror on the bonnet cannot help if the blind spot is inside the driver's head.
voodoochild is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2012, 16:30   #4687
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
The problem we face is a lot extra glare from the high beams of oncoming vehicles due to the glasses.
Possible that others counter that by putting their headlights on full beam as reported earlier in the thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
None taken but I have been wearing spectacles since even before I started driving and have never used high beams extensively. If you are implying that people with spectacles have weaker eyesight and hence require to use high beams, that is a mistaken notion since every person with glasses has corrected vision which is very close to normal 6/6 in most cases.

In fact, I wear anti-glare lenses which actually makes it a little easier to tackle oncoming headlights.

Night blindness is a totally different condition that has very little to do with why most people wear glasses, i.e. myopia or short-sightedness.
Noops sir, I am not referring to night blindness at all. That's altogether a different thing. But just do notice this fact for few days, and see if you also come across such people.
Old 3rd December 2012, 20:17   #4688
BHPian

Spotted a very bad driver in an SX4 no MH 02 B* 1502 who was driving on the wrong side of the road near reclamation and then cut in to the correct side just to get ahead and save a few mins. He was then swerving left to right and trying to squeeze as if he were driving a nano. Badly beaten up car. Chauffeur driven. Watch out for this crazy driver who doesn't care if he nicks your car or not.
Old 3rd December 2012, 21:11   #4689
BHPian

I've noticed that several drivers (Bangalore) don't understand the purpose and drive around with high beams on all the time. Plus its irritating if you're at a jam and have a moron opposite you with his beams focussed on you. Makes a bad headache worse! Also, truckers and buses don't get it that their headlights are at our eye level. There are times when you can feel the heat from the lamps!! People who travel by Begur road will know what I'm talking about.

I turn on my headlights only when there are no streetlights. The HIDs in the fogs provide excellent lighting for most situations. The only time I use high beam in city is to flash the opposite driver to let him know that he's blinding me. Or to let someone know that I'm trying to pass.

If only everybody else did the same. Most roads within Bangalore city have adequate streetlights anyways.
Old 4th December 2012, 09:44   #4690
BHPian

This incident happened in the morning. I was driving to office and was about to get on the mini flyover just before IIT, Powai, approaching from Kanjur Marg. There were 2 trucks near Jainune Marble, one parked and the other one moving from extreme right into the flyover. A Sonata (in very bad condition) cut me from the left and moved ahead of me. I let him do that because I wanted to avoid the truck moving from right. Just as the Sonata passed me from the left, a Bullet also followed him. THIS BULLET HAD THREE PEOPLE AND POLICE STICKER! Because of traffic, the Sonata stopped and Bullet braked hard. The driver could not control the bike fully and leaned right. The third passenger leaned on my car (if my car had not been there, he would have probably fallen down). Can you guess his reaction? He banged my window and turned the mirror away, the idiot does not know how Honda City mirrors work. So much for being a policeman (most probably).
Old 4th December 2012, 11:13   #4691
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
@noopster and @drmohitg might disagree but i have also felt the need to switch to high beams whenever the roads are dark and do not have enough street lightening.

I resolve the problem by ether slowing down, or moving to high beams only when streets are empty (especially from opposite direction).

I agree with you. I pride myself on being a good driver who follows the rules etc. In Bangalore throughout Koramangala, HSR Layout, Inner Ring Road, Sarjapur Road and other areas which I find myself in at night or in the very early morning, I see that half the time the street lights do not work or seem to be switched off.
I have good eyesight etc but it is impossible to drive on account of bad lighting and broken roads with lots of obstacles, some of them springing up overnight and which are not marked at all.
Hence I do use the high beams but when I do note a car coming in the opposite direction I dip the headlamps.
I think it is ridiculous to pay such high taxes here in India and not even get basic infrastructure like roads and street lighting.
Old 4th December 2012, 12:38   #4692
Senior - BHPian

yesterday morning at the ECity toll gate some of the cars including me are waiting for the OBU lane to clear coz a non-OBU car tried to enter the lane. all of a sudden i see this NHC (MH-06-AN-7885) overtake everyone and squeeze through the gap!!

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-_mg_8632.jpg

i mean, what the heck happened to wait for your turn!! ever heard of it you dimwit!!

Last edited by IronH4WK : 4th December 2012 at 13:05.
IronH4WK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2012, 17:46   #4693
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK
yesterday morning at the ECity toll gate some of the cars including me are waiting for the OBU lane to clear coz a non-OBU car tried to enter the lane. all of a sudden i see this NHC (MH-06-AN-7885) overtake everyone and squeeze through the gap!!

i mean, what the heck happened to wait for your turn!! ever heard of it you dimwit!!
There you go again! Another instance of an idiot person.
Why are most of these stupid offenders so insensitive?
At the risk of generalizing, this looks like a Pune Registration if I am right? But I always thought that Maharashtra State was packed to the rafters with professional educated people. Shocking to see this type of rubbish queue jumping behaviour from an otherwise mild mannered state - again I know I am generalizing.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 4th December 2012 at 17:49.
Old 4th December 2012, 17:50   #4694
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post

I have seen people on facebook sharing these kind of incidents with the photos attached. Wonder if you want to try that as well. There was this one instance shared where an educated person driving a car littered the road. Someone captured it on camera, and shared on facebook narrating the entire incident.
Old 4th December 2012, 18:10   #4695
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
overtake everyone and squeeze through the gap!!
Ah! Come to Cochin buddy. You will see the buses instead of cars doing this.
naveen.raju is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks