Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th December 2012, 12:37   #4726
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohail99 View Post
Does this qualify as bad driving?

A xylo cut me off but at least it was indicating and I had predicted just that, so I had already lifted off!
Another alto was continuously honking from behind, so I let it through!(No lane discipline at all!)
Well actually it is bad driving from Xylo (lets forget about the alto ) as it is left side overtaking. If he has to go fast then its the right most lane.

By the way what kind of camera is that, its pretty clear.
Old 7th December 2012, 12:52   #4727
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
Well actually it is bad driving from Xylo (lets forget about the alto ) as it is left side overtaking. If he has to go fast then its the right most lane.

By the way what kind of camera is that, its pretty clear.
I had just installed the Blackvue DR400 HD-II in my i20!

It records at full 1080p and even has a G sensor and GPS(which displays the speed in the video, and shows the location on google maps where the video belongs!)

Video can be viewed from an android phone too!
Old 7th December 2012, 15:02   #4728
Senior - BHPian

i was heading back home this afternoon on my bike after running some errands and was close to CMR college (Kasturinagar) when i see a ANHC trying to overtake a Tata 709 which was not travelling too fast. now ze problem was that i was (and couple other two wheelers) coming from the opposite direction. the driver of the ANHC (seemed well to do man in his mid 40s) did see me and the other two wheelers, but still was trying to overtake the 709. i slowed down and stopped in my tracks; the driver of the car flashes his lights and honks, but i don't budge. finally he as no other go but to stop, let the 709 pass and then get back to his lane.

while moving back to his lane, the driver of the ANHC was gesturing to me that i should have just moved out of the way to let him pass. i just smiled at him; of course he wouldn't have seen that coz i was ATGATT and my visor was down

the moral of the story is - never overtake when you've vehicles coming from the opposite direction, even if it's a two wheeler. you might be putting the other person's life in jeopardy.
IronH4WK is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th December 2012, 15:30   #4729
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
i was heading back home this afternoon on my bike after running some errands and was close to CMR college (Kasturinagar) when i see a ANHC trying to overtake a Tata 709 which was not travelling too fast. now ze problem was that i was (and couple other two wheelers) coming from the opposite direction. the driver of the ANHC (seemed well to do man in his mid 40s) did see me and the other two wheelers, but still was trying to overtake the 709. i slowed down and stopped in my tracks; the driver of the car flashes his lights and honks, but i don't budge. finally he as no other go but to stop, let the 709 pass and then get back to his lane.

while moving back to his lane, the driver of the ANHC was gesturing to me that i should have just moved out of the way to let him pass. i just smiled at him; of course he wouldn't have seen that coz i was ATGATT and my visor was down

the moral of the story is - never overtake when you've vehicles coming from the opposite direction, even if it's a two wheeler. you might be putting the other person's life in jeopardy.
H4WK sir - Stopping on your tracks - Was it not dangerous? You could've been rammed from behind by other vehicles. secondly what if the ANHC uncle would've swerved or lost control? :(
Shubz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th December 2012, 15:43   #4730
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinadJoshi View Post
Not trying to profile the genders but as far as my observation and experience goes, driving is one of the skills in which men do tend to display a marginally better aptitude (and better attitude too, if I may add) than women.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
^^^ You are generalizing here, i wouldn't go as far. I have seen many men drivers do the same and in terms of percentage i believe women driver are much saner on the road.

In my house (I usually never say this to her), keeping physical abilities apart, i believe my wife drives better than me.
Well, quite.

The insurance companies of the world would be able to correct NinadJoshi on this one.

But, although I stand firmly for recognition of equality, the last time I saw any such comment from insurers, the statement made was that they saw roughly the same number of accidents with male and female drivers, but there was a slight difference in the nature of the accidents.

I think that NinadJoshi's example is one of those correlation is not the same as causation things? It involves picking up children from school: picking up children from school is probably done by more mums than dads.

In my too-many decades, I can think of good and bad drivers. I can think of bad female drivers, but they are a small minority.

My wife does not drive, and I am not keen for her to do so, because she really lacks car/road sense. My last driving partner, back in London, was indeed a better driver than I am: her observation was better, her anticipation was better --- and these are things that make for a good driver, not the ability to do stunts. Mind you, I had a girlfriend 40 years ago, one of my respected driving teachers too, who could do that stuff too! Quotes from my early lessons that find their way into my posts here are likely to have come from either her or my father.

My mum was a really great driver, too: right up until a few weeks before her death at 89. Not only was her car control great, but she had an intuitive feeling for engines, and could usually point the mechanic at the right thing, even if she did not actually understand the engineering.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th December 2012, 15:48   #4731
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
H4WK sir - Stopping on your tracks - Was it not dangerous? You could've been rammed from behind by other vehicles. secondly what if the ANHC uncle would've swerved or lost control? :(
there were just two bikes behind me, about 50mts out. in hindsight it might have been a stupid thing to do, but at that moment i was just peeved how people drive any which way they feel like with utter disregard to other people's lives!
Old 7th December 2012, 17:54   #4732
BHPian

Well, the drive back to Mumbai on the NH4 threw up quite a few contenders for the title of 'Stupid@Wheel'.

Prime candidates were:

1. NWKRTC bus being driven without even running lights in pitch darkness and pulling an overtake on a narrow bridge to give me one of the nastiest surprises of my life.

2. Wagon R going for a blind overtake in the extreme left lane and almost crashing into a tractor-trailer overloaded with pointy sugarcane stalks.

3. Audi Q7 pulling a zooming overtake from the left even when the right lane was empty for the next kilometer!

4. ANHC (in the left lane!) racing with an Octavia (in the right lane) and narrowly avoiding a spectacular crash when he squeezed through a small gap between a slow-moving truck in the left lane and a car in the middle lane. (He was easily doing +140 kmph coz I, in the middle lane, was cruising at 100, and he just blew by me.)

5. Omni that kept jumping lanes in bunched up traffic on an incline, cutting me off, once almost side-swiping me. It stopped after that coz I cut him right off and flipped him a bird.

6. Numerous truck drivers (doing 60 kmph) who took it upon themselves to suddenly swerve into the right lane (on two-laned stretches) just as I was approaching them doing +100 kmph. This after flashing them and honking at them in advance, and the left lane being empty for a long stretch. (I lost a bit of the respect I had for truck drivers after this drive.)
Old 7th December 2012, 17:58   #4733
BHPian

Quote:
Not trying to profile the genders but as far as my observation and experience goes, driving is one of the skills in which men do tend to display a marginally better aptitude (and better attitude too, if I may add) than women.

Why is that most lady drivers I see , driving alone, are either laughing or talking to themselves ?? Thats cos, they are talking into the blue tooth which gets hidden by their curls.

And im no MCP, but fact is , most of them are on the phone.
mannubhai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2012, 19:11   #4734
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
When I and my wife are in the car together (irrespective of who is driving), we try to guess who is driving a crazy driven car. Most of our guesses are the fair gender, and very often the guess is right. Of course in bigger metro areas of the US, the driving can be quite reckless. We give the benefit of the doubt to the driver for being stuck in traffic for something important or so, but the underlying problem is, the expected driving behavior in the US does not predict such crazy antics. You just need a little bit of luck to be not involved in accidents in these cases.
I had a bad driving woman again around me yesterday. She left my office parking lot in one Ford Flex (I think the performance of the thing sort of indicated to me that it was the 3.5 l ecoboost with 365 bhp on tap). She cut lanes indiscriminately, braked and accelerated erratically and had her phone glued to her ear. Just slowed down and let her get away from me to avoid unpleasant surprises. This was at peak traffic time 5 - 515 PM on my way back.
Old 7th December 2012, 20:05   #4735
BHPian

Bad Drivers -
a) Those who use two lanes (or do some people really think they are supposed to follow the lane marking lines?)
b) Those who hog the outside lane, forcing people to undertake!

Doesn't matter if its a supercar club meet, getting to work or a casual Sunday drive. The rules apply to everyone, all the time!

Ironically i got these photographs of this very site!
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-46400_10151240147920275_1983164869_n.jpg  

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-599_10151247547615275_637290595_n.jpg  

Last edited by Samir Taheer : 7th December 2012 at 20:19. Reason: To hide faces, the intention is not to pick on one particular person or group of people
Samir Taheer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2012, 22:00   #4736
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil View Post
When I and my wife are in the car together (irrespective of who is driving), we try to guess who is driving a crazy driven car. Most of our guesses are the fair gender, and very often the guess is right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Well, quite.

But, although I stand firmly for recognition of equality, the last time I saw any such comment from insurers, the statement made was that they saw roughly the same number of accidents with male and female drivers, but there was a slight difference in the nature of the accidents.

I think that NinadJoshi's example is one of those correlation is not the same as causation things? It involves picking up children from school: picking up children from school is probably done by more mums than dads.

In my too-many decades, I can think of good and bad drivers. I can think of bad female drivers, but they are a small minority.
I stand by what I've written, and by no means wish to impose my opinions upon anyone. My post is based on 15 years and over 500,000 miles of driving on the roads of a country which has more women drivers than men, officially. (As of 2010, more than 105.7 million women were licensed to drive in the U.S., compared with only 104.3 million men.) I have seen excellent women drivers and horrible male drivers. Almost got killed once by a road-raged Detroit Red Wings fan for not giving him his space fast enough as he merged in from a ramp at a triple digit speed, and at the same time have been flipped a bird at by a young woman or two for not 'speeding' fast enough too.

The school rant was just an example among many others. Just today morning at about 7:20 AM I made an 8 mile commute to meet with my client at work. The weather - 33 deg F, overcast, raining, sunrise half an hour away but the sun not expected to surface from behind the cloud cover all day any way. In short, fairly dark, rainy and the road surface a bit slippery. During the ~20 minute commute on the inner roads, among the hundreds of cars that went with and by me, I counted about 30 vehicles that did not have their lights on (I must get a life, seriously). The situation clearly warranted the common sense that drivers should make their presence visible by switching on their lights, to enhance overall safety for themselves and others on the road. Barring three gentlemen, the rest of these 30 odd 'stealth' drivers were ladies. (Disclaimer: There were many more vehicles on the road running without their headlights turned on, but who had their automatic daytime running secondary lights burning, hence excluded from this).

Insurance companies are free to publish their own studies, but I have my own experience based on my own time on the road. Insurance companies, by the way, will also admit that women are involved in more crashes per mile than men, but my point is there is a tangible difference in the driving traits between the sexes, and I have a bias for one based on my own experience. I can of course cite individual instances of great/responsible/conscientious drivers among the womenfolk I know directly or indirectly (wife, neighbor’s 89 year old mother, the kind lady who runs the Dairy Queen shop in my neighborhood, 90% of the school bus drivers in America, etc.), but if I broadly consider the million men and the million women who might have shared the road with me over the years, I have one clear verdict on which of the two sexes I’d rather be driving behind, or ahead of, or beside, or across from, on a road.

On a lighter note, behind each blissfully oblivious woman exercising her multitasking skills while on the wheel are 6 angry male drivers trying to understand why the big black minivan leading the caravan is doing 19 miles an hour in a 45 mph zone in the 7:30 morning rush hour on a single lane road. In that respect the insurance companies may not be much different than the WWF referees who miss the most important sly/cheat in the fight at the wrong moment, and award the verdict to the undeserving wrestler Men (and we are a rather dumb lot sometimes, agreed) may be denting each other’s bumpers more than women but what the insurance companies probably fail to statistically capture is that the root cause of many an accident might well be 9 cars ahead, putting lipstick and talking to a friend about the latest sale at Kohl's or Macy's

Last edited by NinadJoshi : 7th December 2012 at 22:01.
NinadJoshi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th December 2012, 22:41   #4737
Distinguished - BHPian

Insurance companies compute everything... but it is a long time since I read such articles, so I won't attempt to dispute, other to admit that one thing I think I remember reading is inattention might figure in the female accidents, aggressiveness in the male. Which is not so far from your observations.
Old 7th December 2012, 22:45   #4738
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
....ANHC was gesturing to me that i should have just moved out of the way to let him pass
What if he was on a genuine medical emergency?
Old 7th December 2012, 23:41   #4739
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
there were just two bikes behind me, about 50mts out. in hindsight it might have been a stupid thing to do, but at that moment i was just peeved how people drive any which way they feel like with utter disregard to other people's lives!
+1 to this.

Have done this in the past, but with my car; car & bus having been on the opposite end. These idiots even flash at you, as if that makes their action completely correct!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwithwheels View Post
What if he was on a genuine medical emergency?
(Sorry to be blunt) And for that he gets to create a new medical emergency as per his wishes? Whatever be the reason, one expects a sane person to drive as sanely as possible. Last I checked that's why we give way to ambulances.

OT: I remember a bhpian (@ambivalant_98 I believe) was reported on the forum to be going on the wrong side of a jammed road (crossing over the divider and throttling away). That guy replies back - He was in a hurry and had to reach some place urgently, so he went on the wrong side. Makes perfect sense no?
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2012, 00:33   #4740
BHPian

Quote:

The moral of the story is spot on but you did put yourself at risk. What if he continued driving assuming that you would eventually give way?

You did teach him a lesson but at the risk of your limbs. Live another day to teach someone road manners. There are all kinds of psychos out there tripping on their egos. I'd rather be safe instead. His gesture conveyed he was justified, even if he was wrong but that could be enough in his head to do harm to you.
AbhishekB86 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks