Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th January 2013, 09:59   #4876
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

@Nilesh case

To cross two lanes the driver of the vehicle trying to cause has to wait, get a clear traffic view before crossing.

This is similar to overtaking a public transport not knowing who may cross from the front of the bus.

Both the truck and Bus did what everyone else would including you and me. Based on courtesy we may have stopped. Had you stuck to the bumper of the vehicle in front of you both the truck and bus would have stopped.

THere is no fault on either of you. Its just the timing was wrong.
Old 4th January 2013, 11:06   #4877
BHPian

Go this mail from Admin team in our office promoting defensive driving. Good that they are educating the employees on driving. But how many of them really take these things into account?

BE AWARE
Eliminate the potential distractions of cell phones, loud music and passengers who may distract you while on the road. Keep your eyes on the road at all times, and check your mirrors- internal as well as the external ones which collectively give you a complete panoramic view. Side vision is as important as your view of the front- do not put shades of sunfilm that can block your view of the sides.

BE COMFORTABLE
Adjust the car seat, steering wheel and mirrors to your comfort. Familiarize yourself with the car controls so as to use the turn signals, headlights and other controls without difficulty. Ensure that your music is turned on at a low volume, and doesn’t distract you from the road.

Avoid following other cars too closely, and keep a safe distance in the parallel lane to ensure you have enough space to maneuver. An easy to remember norm is that you should always be able to see the rear wheels of the vehicle ahead of you.

OBEY THE LAWS
Always wear your seat belt. Ensure regular maintenance to keep the vehicle’s brake systems and safety mechanisms in good working order. Two wheeler riders and pillion riders must wear helmets at all times.

SIDE VISION
Side vision is as important as your view in the front- do not put shades or sunfilm that blocks the view of the outside world. Please remember that if you can see the outside view as dark grey during daytime, you may see nothing in the night and on dimly lit roads. Look for information on the sunfilm permitted in the local jurisdiction, in most of the RTO jurisdiction, they insist on 85% penetration of light.

DO NOT BE ADVENTUROUS ON THE ROAD
If someone overtakes you in an incorrect way, do not try to get into a race with them. Your safety is your primary concern. Road rage is a major cause of many mishaps.

HIGHWAY DRIVING CALLS FOR EXTRA CARE
Always anticipate the moves of vehicles ahead as the fellow drivers may experience highway hypnosis. Allow for longer distances to switch lanes. Drive in the correct lane appropriate to your vehicle type and speed. Always keep your hazard warning indicators switched on if you have to stop on a highway even at a safe point along the curb. And remember the time tested dictum- Start early, drive carefully, arrive safely!

Mods: Please remove this post if you think this is going off topic
vishnu.csk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th January 2013, 16:14   #4878
Senior - BHPian

i saw this guy standing in the middle of the road arguing with the Volvo driver (maybe the bus nicked his car) near Attibele on one of the flyovers. now this is a place where vehicles travel at high speeds (this part of the NH) and this guy is a fool standing in the open, inviting trouble!
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-_mg_9608.jpg
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-_mg_9609.jpg

and of course we've the divider jumpers
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-_mg_9610.jpg
IronH4WK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2013, 16:45   #4879
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
i saw this guy standing in the middle of the road arguing with the Volvo driver
Imagine how close the bus must have been to have to stop behind that car, unless it collided with it, of course.

This is the ridiculous thing about tailgating, from the tailgater's standpoint: you have nowhere to go. Even a few tens of metres, and the bus could just have steered around the Swift. There is no advantage to tailgating, only danger and potential disadvantage. So why do people do it?

Even in stationary traffic, one should leave sufficient space to steer around the car in front. It can always break down.

Yes, our roads are overcrowded and we have to maximise the usage of the space --- but there clever ways to do this, and stupid ways that only look like doing it.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th January 2013, 16:47   #4880
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
i saw this guy standing in the middle of the road arguing with the Volvo driver (maybe the bus nicked his car) near Attibele on one of the flyovers. now this is a place where vehicles travel at high speeds (this part of the NH) and this guy is a fool standing in the open, inviting trouble!
Quite brave (aka stupid) of him to have braked to a stop in front of a Volvo on a high speed road too! Dont you think?
Old 4th January 2013, 17:07   #4881
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
Quite brave (aka stupid) of him to have braked to a stop in front of a Volvo on a high speed road too! Dont you think?
The irony of it is that other vehicles in the adjacent lanes slow down and sometimes even come to a complete halt just so that they get a good look of the altercation. So effectively, nearly the entire road gets jammed. I wouldn't be surprised if that oil-tanker (!!!) in the left-lane had slowed down to get a glimpse of the action.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post

Yes, our roads are overcrowded and we have to maximise the usage of the space --- but there clever ways to do this, and stupid ways that only look like doing it.
^^ +100000000.

Unfortunately, common sense isn't so common.

It's always best to analyse the road and traffic before making a move. If you tail-gate a vehicle in front of you, you're essentially allowing yourself no room to make any corrections based on the traffic ahead. In fact, you're literally submitting yourself to the person you're tailgating, so whatever he does you've got to do as well.

Staying back and assessing the traffic AND THEN making your move is a much better option. You get ahead of the pack and without drama as well.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 4th January 2013 at 17:12.
Old 4th January 2013, 18:00   #4882
BHPian

Off late i see a lot of 2 wheelers trying to take u turn just after the Madhya kailash signal when going towards cancer institute. After crossing the signal just opposite to the Madhya kailsh bus stand these guys take the u turn. There are a lot of medium sized stones that are arranged in a straight line as a median. I guess some how they have removed a couple of stones. This is quite dangerous considering the oncoming traffic.

I was coming down from the Anna University flyower(was headed towards adyar) when i suddenly saw a couple of 2 wheelers taking the turn. I had to brake suddenly. I was wondering how these guys took the turn and that is when i saw a couple of stones missing. This is highly insane.
Old 4th January 2013, 18:50   #4883
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
i saw this guy standing in the middle of the road arguing with the Volvo driver...
That's plain insane

Hope it was the co passenger who clicked the pics!
Warwithwheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2013, 01:31   #4884
Distinguished - BHPian

Walking towards my street, I came across a cow standing in the middle of the North-bound side of the ECR. I just told it how silly it was for a black cow to stand there at night. It moved! I wish I could communicate so effectively with other drivers
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 5th January 2013, 03:02   #4885
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Walking towards my street, I came across a cow standing in the middle of the North-bound side of the ECR. I just told it how silly it was for a black cow to stand there at night. It moved! I wish I could communicate so effectively with other drivers
Moral of the story: Cows moo, humans don't.
NinadJoshi is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th January 2013, 19:52   #4886
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

This morning I was on the road and was braking gently before a traffic light. My car which has ABS stopped perfectly. Some blessed blunderbuss woman behind me in a tinbox Alto slammed her brakes behind me a little too late and came to a screeching halt a hairsbreadth behind me! Of course I pulled over and taxed her. Apparently the dunderhead was busy arranging the guff and rubbish in her blighted car and hence braked late. All I can say is I am thankful she had the decency to admit to her woollen headed behaviour and that she did not prang me because the damages could have been expensive for me. Thank god!
Old 5th January 2013, 20:06   #4887
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
This morning I was on the road and was braking gently before a traffic light. My car which has ABS stopped perfectly. Some blessed blunderbuss woman behind me in a tinbox Alto slammed her brakes behind me a little too late and came to a screeching halt a hairsbreadth behind me! Of course I pulled over and taxed her. Apparently the dunderhead was busy arranging the guff and rubbish in her blighted car and hence braked late. All I can say is I am thankful she had the decency to admit to her woollen headed behaviour and that she did not prang me because the damages could have been expensive for me. Thank god!
Sorry for the OT. From each one of your posts on this thread, I learn a few new adjectives. These chosen adjectives give that much more punch to your post and express your anger really well.

I know, the 'others' make your angry, because of their absolute careless and idiotic behaviour. But think about it, whose arteries are going to get clogged because of all the anger and associated stress?
SDP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2013, 20:15   #4888
Senior - BHPian

Look at the three pictures below. A bus, a car and a two wheeler violating rule or appearing so.There is a median and traffic is to keep to the left as the sign board indicates.
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-not-bad-1a.jpg
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-not-bad-2a.jpg
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-not-bad-3a.jpg
The fact is that a local tug-of-war competition is scheduled to be held right on this main Ernakulam - Kottayam road and the blokes have closed the road on their own.
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-not-bad4.jpg
Any thing can happen these days. And here who is bad?
Old 5th January 2013, 21:28   #4889
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post

Sorry for the OT. From each one of your posts on this thread, I learn a few new adjectives. These chosen adjectives give that much more punch to your post and express your anger really well.

I know, the 'others' make your angry, because of their absolute careless and idiotic behaviour. But think about it, whose arteries are going to get clogged because of all the anger and associated stress?
No anger Ironhawk.
I am a stress free person generally.
I just love using these adjectives to express general displeasure and/ or describe errant persons and such horrible creatures who share the road with us.
Thankfully no clogged arteries for me so far.
I live clean and spend a lot of time doing what I love best, books, golf, music, movies and spending time with family and pets.
No time or space in my life for the typical city stress...

Last edited by shankar.balan : 5th January 2013 at 21:30.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2013, 21:50   #4890
Senior - BHPian

Spotted this black Scorpio (KA-03-M?-??05) on the Banaswadi main road (near Mukunda theatre). First he tries to overtake on the left and get ahead. Then, he tries to bully the car ahead of me and tries to get on to the Indian Oil flyover. Now, only one four wheeler and a two wheeler can get on to the flyover at the same time, that's the width of one side of the road. This fellow and half bullies his way on to the flyover and while doing that, almost scrapes the left side of my car!

As soon as he gets ahead of me, my wife notices the Team-BHP sticker on the back and says - "look, one of your BHPians! Is this how you guys drive?"

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-image2377033846.jpg
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-image2839505426.jpg

To the driver - if you're reading this:
1. Just because you're driving a bigger vehicle, you don't own the road!
2. Learn to wait for your turn; your family doesn't own the roads in Bangalore!

PS: the sticker was the red/black LCLC.

Last edited by IronH4WK : 5th January 2013 at 22:03.
IronH4WK is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks