Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 5th January 2013, 23:00   #4891
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
No anger Ironhawk.
No time or space in my life for the typical city stress...
Why Ironhawk? Did you mean Ironh4wk or was it SDP? Or is it another adjective from your rich vocabulary?(Ironhawk) lol
Quote:
I just love using these adjectives to express general displeasure and/ or describe errant persons and such horrible creatures who share the road with us.
Jokes apart your usages of these adjectives help us learn.
Old 5th January 2013, 23:01   #4892
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
The fact is that a local tug-of-war competition is scheduled to be held right on this main Ernakulam - Kottayam road and the blokes have closed the road on their own.
And I bet there is no notice on the other lane telling drivers to expect two-way traffic?
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2013, 23:01   #4893
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
Spotted this black Scorpio (KA-03-M?-??05)

PS: the sticker was the red/black LCLC.
I remember a black Scorpio with LCLC stickers been reported couple of times on this thread / stickers thread. Might be the same one!
nileshch is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2013, 23:04   #4894
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
And I bet there is no notice on the other lane telling drivers to expect two-way traffic?
Exactly while I was driving up I felt that, and wondered spotting many bad drivers and which is why while driving down I stopped and clicked.

Last edited by rajeev k : 5th January 2013 at 23:07.
Old 6th January 2013, 00:56   #4895
Distinguished - BHPian

I had a similar experience some years ago on Chennai's OMR. I was getting madder and madder, and almost had steam coming out of my ears. Why were all these vehicles on the wrong side the meridian? Why?

Then I reached the point where they were being diverted onto it

This was not unofficial; this was official; this was major roadworks. How can any authority be so senseless as not to put some warning of two-way traffic where it is not expected?

Old 6th January 2013, 08:54   #4896
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post

Why Ironhawk? Did you mean Ironh4wk or was it SDP? Or is it another adjective from your rich vocabulary?(Ironhawk) lol
Jokes apart your usages of these adjectives help us learn.
Sorry I meant to quote SDP but I mistyped for some reason. Probably because I saw some other post by Ironhawk.
Irritatingly the TBHP ipad app's selective paralysis seems to be continuing with no respite in sight.
Old 6th January 2013, 10:06   #4897
BHPian

I spotted this biker on the NH4 somewhere in Karnataka while I was driving to Kerala from Pune a couple of weeks ago. This was at a place that the road was a proper six lane one ( some intermittent stretches of six laning have already been completed ). I moved to the middle lane as soon as the road became six lane, there was a car some 50 meters ahead of me in the same lane, and there was another one in the fast lane. All of us were doing around 100 kph.

I found the car ahead in fast lane swerving slightly to the left , closer to the median, and for a moment I thought the guy was dozing off - thats when I saw this bike - two youngsters without helmet , coming in the opposite direction ON THE DOTTED LINE between the middle and right lanes. They passed me very quickly before I could comprehend what was happening, as we were all keeping reasonably good speeds.

I watched them in the rear view mirror, and they were cruising along merrily, their bike perfectly aligned to the dotted line, ...

I am not making this up , and I hope they reached home safe! ( and others too!! )
Old 6th January 2013, 10:56   #4898
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigzero View Post
I found the car ahead in fast lane swerving slightly to the left , closer to the median, and for a moment I thought the guy was dozing off - thats when I saw this bike - two youngsters without helmet , coming in the opposite direction ON THE DOTTED LINE between the middle and right lanes. They passed me very quickly before I could comprehend what was happening, as we were all keeping reasonably good speeds.
This act by the biker, I call it suicidal attempt. I mean, why would anyone want to drive in between a six lane highway, in between two fast moving lanes and that too on the opposite side. How can someone do that is out of my understanding senses.

What was the need to drive ON THE DOTTED LINE?
Driving on the wrong side is common in this part of the world, but between two lanes, pure nonsense. If he wanted to cut the distance short, he would have driven from the side corner. I cannot understand the reason for this kind of a behavior that puts self as well as others at a HUGE risk.

Sorry bigzero, but I am in no way trying to say that this is a made up story, there are many idiots on the road, but its just that I cannot find a reason for their this kind of a behavior.
Old 6th January 2013, 11:42   #4899
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carzone View Post
Sorry bigzero, but I am in no way trying to say that this is a made up story, there are many idiots on the road, but its just that I cannot find a reason for their this kind of a behavior.
Couple of adrenaline junkies trying out something crazy is the only explanation I can think about!!!
Old 6th January 2013, 16:37   #4900
Distinguished - BHPian

White Beat KA 51 ** 7573 with "I Drive Safe" and LTD. This guy was smoking and was using the road as his ash tray.
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-beat.jpg  

Old 6th January 2013, 23:26   #4901
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
This guy was smoking and was using the road as his ash tray
I did that until, one day, a biker friend asked me how I would like a glowing cigarette end in my coat at 70MPH. From that day on, until I became a smokless zone anyway, I never did it again.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th January 2013, 10:43   #4902
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigzero View Post
I found the car ahead in fast lane swerving slightly to the left , closer to the median, and for a moment I thought the guy was dozing off - thats when I saw this bike - two youngsters without helmet , coming in the opposite direction ON THE DOTTED LINE between the middle and right lanes.
Did you intend to to say swerving to the right towards the median? As the biekr was between the middle and right lanes.

I dont intend to sound perverse, but I hope they didnt reach home that safely. If they did, they will try it again. If they land up in hospital, I doubt those idiots will get any sense, but it will at least keep them off the road for a few days.
Normally a truck driver will drive them off road, but he will be arrested for rash and negligent driving. Sigh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
White Beat KA 51 ** 7573 with "I Drive Safe" and LTD. This guy was smoking and was using the road as his ash tray.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I did that until, one day, a biker friend asked me how I would like a glowing cigarette end in my coat at 70MPH.
This really gets my goat. I had once thrown toffee wrappers into the car window of such a smoking guy at a signal. I was on my bike and he was a bit confused when I did that. Till I opened my helmet lid and told him 'Be glad they are not lit up'. Then he went hopping mad, tried to open his locked door without unlocking. The signal turned green and I just pointed to my head and went my way.

Unfortunately when I am in my car I cannot do such things. Maybe I should carry a water gun to squirt at them?
Old 7th January 2013, 15:38   #4903
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
Spotted this black Scorpio (KA-03-M?-??05) on the Banaswadi main road (near Mukunda theatre). First he tries to overtake on the left and get ahead. Then, he tries to bully the car ahead of me and tries to get on to the Indian Oil flyover. Now, only one four wheeler and a two wheeler can get on to the flyover at the same time, that's the width of one side of the road. This fellow and half bullies his way on to the flyover and while doing that, almost scrapes the left side of my car!

As soon as he gets ahead of me, my wife notices the Team-BHP sticker on the back and says - "look, one of your BHPians! Is this how you guys drive?"

PS: the sticker was the red/black LCLC.
Was this the same car?
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-scorp.jpg

One of my friends noticed this on new years time, LCLC sticker is also there + black scorp

Photo copyright: avinash sg
redrage is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2013, 15:48   #4904
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post

This really gets my goat. I had once thrown toffee wrappers into the car window of such a smoking guy at a signal. I was on my bike and he was a bit confused when I did that. Till I opened my helmet lid and told him 'Be glad they are not lit up'. Then he went hopping mad, tried to open his locked door without unlocking. The signal turned green and I just pointed to my head and went my way.
Respect! selfdrive
I don't think I'd have the guts to do that, with all the stories of road rage that we hear nowadays.
I would really recommend that you avoid it since you never know when the situation could turn ugly.
Old 7th January 2013, 17:47   #4905
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrage View Post
Was this the same car?
Attachment 1035324

One of my friends noticed this on new years time, LCLC sticker is also there + black scorp

Photo copyright: avinash sg
no mate, don't think this is the one. the one i spotted had the black/red LCLC on the rear door.

Most Viewed